PDA

View Full Version : Making a Wiki

Felixaar
2009-06-06, 06:34 AM
Does anyone know how to?

I have no idea.

Lord Loss
2009-06-06, 06:54 AM
there's this site that sets you up a wiki. i forget what it's called, srry.

adanedhel9
2009-06-06, 09:16 AM
First thing's first - you need somewhere to put the wiki. The options that I'm aware of are:

1) Your own server. This can be any old computer with an internet connection; it can even be the computer you use every day if you don't mind the potential security risk. This option requires the most technical competence.

2) Pay someone else to host it for you. Slightly easier than #1, as part of your payments covers the most basic setup and maintanance.

3) Use one of the several free (or paid) Wiki-hosting sites (just google "wiki host" and you'll find several options). At this point you've lost a lot of control over your Wiki - you'll have to abide by the rules of the host site, and it's unlikely you'll be able to make any serious customizations. But this is a lot easier than #1 or #2.

4) Install the wiki on portable media (eg a flash drive). If you just want the wiki for personal use, this is the way to go. To me, though, a wiki for personal use is an oxymoron; by definition a wiki should be accessible to whomever wants to access it.

I do #1; if you want to go that route I can certainly give you more information. A lot of that info would apply to #2, and, to a lesser extent, #4 as well, but there will be specifics to each of those approaches that I am not aware of.

Haruki-kun
2009-06-06, 11:02 AM
You can use Wikidot or Wikispaces.

Several of the Role-Playing groups in GITP have used those.

Felixaar
2009-06-08, 09:30 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll go from here.

Nameless
2009-06-08, 09:32 AM
I recommend Wetpaint. It's probably the best one out there... In my opinion.

Narmoth
2009-06-08, 10:40 AM
Personally, I'm quite content with wikispot.org
my site: http://deadearth.wikispot.org/Front_Page

Nameless
2009-06-08, 10:58 AM
Here's the one we use for ABR with WetPaint:

http://abr.wetpaint.com/

BROCK22
2009-06-08, 03:26 PM
o god i did this ones for a cognitive science class back in college. I dont remeber how but if i recall it was quite easy. Isnt there some sort of tab on the wiki page?