PDA

View Full Version : Druids' dirty tricks

Cicciograna
2009-06-06, 10:41 AM
I'm not so familiar with druids, as I don't like the class very much. But I'm programming to send a bunch of them against my PC: what I have in mind is to have a congregation of different minded druids, as some would be CN, whose actions would be totally unpredictable, another share would be LN, keeping in mind the basic pricniples of Law, and some N, striking a balance between the other two factions.
PC are aware of the presence of the druids, and, for some reasons, have to fight them and drive them away from their forest. What strategies could the druids employ against them? Would you please give me some advice on what tactics would the druids use in direct confrontation, and, for example, some sort of guerrilla actions (sniping, traps, etc.)? Which spells should they prepare and cast?
Druid level should be around 8th-10th, but there could be a pair of stronger individuals (up to 14th-15th)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-06, 10:45 AM
Wild Shape, Natural Spell, Monk's Belt, Owl's Insight (%th elvel, I hour duration, +10 enhancement to Wis).

Done.

Eloel
2009-06-06, 10:47 AM
You're missing Wildling Clasp.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-06, 10:49 AM
You're missing Wildling Clasp.

ozgun92 can see the item that I missed... but can he see the reason why kids like Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

raptor1056
2009-06-06, 10:52 AM
The easiest way to run the CN guys is as wildshapers, just charging and trying to maul the PCs. The LN guys could be battlefield controlers, whilst the N druids could be buffers for the wildshapers. This stuff isa ll off the top of my head, but it seems easy to organize. I tend to play wildshapers myself, and those are best going straight through druid, so far as I have played. I'm sure there is some cheese that outclasses this, but a Druid 20 Wildshaping "major" makes a pretty damn good tank.

Cicciograna
2009-06-06, 10:56 AM
Wait, before you go on, the sourcebooks available are PH, DMG, MM1, ToB, Magic of Faerun and A&EG: even if I have access to other books such as all the Complete * I don't use them, so please don't take feats or spells from other sources.

Worira
2009-06-06, 11:04 AM
What level is the party, and how many druids are you planning to use?

Cicciograna
2009-06-06, 11:35 AM
What level is the party, and how many druids are you planning to use?

Average party level is 13th, and there are a Warblade, a Cleric, a Wizard and a Rogue (pretty standard party, I guess...).
I didn't have a precise idea on how many druids should be there in the forest: I was thinking between 8-9 and 15-16, tops, but consider that after losing about the 70% of their forces (inculding at least one of the most powerful) the remaining druids would surrender, meet the PC and strike a deal with them to aid them to defend the forest, so not all the druids will enter the fray.

Talic
2009-06-06, 11:52 AM
Use terrain. Druids are nature warriors. Use nature. Entangle. Weather control. Winds.

Next. Nature's allies can scout the party's location. Speak with animals.

Next: Control Weather, from one of the more powerfuls.
Next: Wall of X / Tree Stride. Partition the battlefield and use trees to go between areas.

Team tactics: 5 druids (level 9) cast Summon Nature's ally 5 for Dire Lions.
Round 2: 1 druid casts animal growth, hitting all 5 lions, the other 4 cast Bull's strength.

This yields 4 dire lions with a str of 37, and 1 with a str of 33.
Round 3: 1 does bull's str on the last one, 1 does animal messenger to send a warning. Other three move into combat, in dire lion form as well.

Eldariel
2009-06-06, 01:57 PM
Use terrain. Druids are nature warriors. Use nature. Entangle. Weather control. Winds.

Next. Nature's allies can scout the party's location. Speak with animals.

Next: Control Weather, from one of the more powerfuls.
Next: Wall of X / Tree Stride. Partition the battlefield and use trees to go between areas.

Team tactics: 5 druids (level 9) cast Summon Nature's ally 5 for Dire Lions.
Round 2: 1 druid casts animal growth, hitting all 5 lions, the other 4 cast Bull's strength.

This yields 4 dire lions with a str of 37, and 1 with a str of 33.
Round 3: 1 does bull's str on the last one, 1 does animal messenger to send a warning. Other three move into combat, in dire lion form as well.

And have their animal companions enter fray of course, too. And they and their animal companions are buffed with Greater Magic Fang (lasts whole day), few castings of Barkskin (lasts long enough) and the ACs are Animal Growthed too. Control Winds from 1 for some nice Winds (if they happen to own Beads of Karma, they could generate a Hurricane from thin air - if they happen to own one and a Metamagic Rod of Chain, one of them could also buff all their natural weapons for some nice +3), Awakened Trees, maybe Air Walks on some of the animals, and some offensive magic (Call Lightning; they can play stormcrows nicely in a crow-form raining hell on their opposition from so high the opponents can't act against them), Reincarnates if any of them die, Baleful Polymorphs for direct offense on casters, etc.

Really, fighting even a bunch of lower level Druids on their home turf is going to be hell. Stone Shape, Transmute Rock to Mud > Transmute Mud to Rock (with some poor chaps in it), Spike Stones, etc. is just hell. And thanks to the Hurricane-force winds, nobody flies.