PDA

View Full Version : Weapon X-perts

Mordar
2009-06-06, 12:09 PM
Hi all -

In light of the recent Wolverine movie (bashers, save your bashing for someone else) I'm curious to read (or in some cases re-read) the canon material on Weapon X and Deadpool. However, given the large number of TPB/Graphic Novels out there, I need some direction.

Can someone (or several someones) give me this direction? I'm looking not necessarily for strict chronology, but something that will provide greater clarity, and, of course, entertaining reading.

As far as Deadpool goes...are the DP Classics the way to go, or is there something better? I'm not a Cable fan, so would just as soon avoid having to read *too* much of him...but I understand it will be to some degree unavoidable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- M

Revlid
2009-06-07, 05:55 AM
Hi all -

In light of the recent Wolverine movie (bashers, save your bashing for someone else) I'm curious to read (or in some cases re-read) the canon material on Weapon X and Deadpool. However, given the large number of TPB/Graphic Novels out there, I need some direction.

Can someone (or several someones) give me this direction? I'm looking not necessarily for strict chronology, but something that will provide greater clarity, and, of course, entertaining reading.

As far as Deadpool goes...are the DP Classics the way to go, or is there something better? I'm not a Cable fan, so would just as soon avoid having to read *too* much of him...but I understand it will be to some degree unavoidable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- M

The problem with Weapon X is that it's a great concept (an amoral govt. agency using and enhancing psychotic superhumans for covert operations? Cool!) with its execution generally tainted by the 90s.
Its best depictions, imo, have ironically been non-canon; the Ultimate X-Men tpb "Return to Weapon X", and the Hulk Vs. Wolverine animated movie.

As for Deadpool... You may not like Cable, but Cable & Deadpool really is the best there is, imo. And Cable there is very different from Cable elsewhere - less muscle-bound cyborg warriah from the footur and more... mutant Jesus. It's very good.

If that's not to your taste, however, Deadpool's old solo series is also great, featuring as it does Blind Al, Weasel, and the rest. Some of the earlier arcs/issues are a bit shaky (Taskmaster's first appearance, Deathtrap, T-Ray's reveal), but it's generally good.

For a series that almost doesn't feature him at all, Agent X is probably the purest depiction of what Deadpool should be that I've ever seen, and (barring issues 8-12, which still have their moments) is consistently written and drawn by Gail Simone (excellent) and UDON (just as good) respectively.

WitchSlayer
2009-06-07, 06:01 AM
Joe Kelly's Deadpool run is definitely the best, if hard to find.

Linkavitch
2009-06-07, 12:51 PM
Take a look at this: Marvel Database (www.marveldatabase.com) Anything you want to know about anything in any of the Marvelverses, is here.

Yulian
2009-06-07, 06:01 PM
Its best depictions, imo, have ironically been non-canon; the Ultimate X-Men tpb "Return to Weapon X", and the Hulk Vs. Wolverine animated movie.

Marvel Comics Presents #72-84.

Barry Windson-Smith.

Best Weapon X story ever.

'Nuff said.

- Yulian

North
2009-06-07, 10:37 PM
Joe Kelly Deadpool is reallly good. So is Cable and Deadpool if it helps its not 90s guns, pouches and shoulderpads Cable its Jesus Cable. Was such a great series.

Regarding Weapon X.... Its tougher to find a straight up series. I cant think if I ever have read a series that just wasnt referencing it in flashbacks. But there was a Team 7/Team x one shot cross over that was really good, about a mission they had way back when.