PDA

View Full Version : Class adaptation

Catch
2006-03-20, 11:43 PM
I'm a big fan of the Wheel of Time series, and a partial believer in the D20 version of the game. My D&D group is starting a new campaign (we're rerolling) in the Ebberon setting, which I'm not familar with (I'm a Forgotten Realms kinda guy). I'd like to adapt the the Algai'd'siswai to a class I could actually take, as I like the flavor and overall style of the class. For anyone who's not familar with the series, Algai'd'siswai are desert fighters, specializing in unarmored combat using shortspears and bucklers, and wearing no armor. They're blindingly fast, difficult to hit, and often quite stealty.

Stats are as follows, with my suggestions for changes in italics.

Hit die: d10 I'd drop this to a d8 if the class gets overpowered.

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Hide, Intimidate, Intuit Direction (stupid 3.0 setting), Jump, Listen, Move Silently, and Wilderness Lore (again). I'd drop Intuit Direction and Wilderness Lore in favor of Survival, and maybe add Spot as a class skill. Maybe Perfom(dance).

Skill points per level: 4 + Int as normal.

Proficiences: All simple weapons, and never are profiecent with swords. Algai'd'siswai despise swords, and will generally not even touch them. For this reason, Algai'd'siswai gain no experience in encounters in which they use a sword. I'd add the shortbow to this, as they commonly use shortbows in the book series.

Algai'd'siswai do not wear armor and do not start with armor proficencies. When wearing armor, an Algai'd'siswai loses all class abilites and no experience points. They are profiecent with bucklers, however. I'd leave this as is, but see below

Side note: This game uses the defense bonus as a standard rule. It's in Unearthed Arcana as a variant, for those who aren't familar with the rule. Basically, it's a static bonus to your AC that you can get in place of armor. For this class it works, but since we're not going to be using that rule, I'd like adapt the class. Hence the post. I'm tinkering with the idea of working an AC bonus similar to the monk's. (This is where I need feedback.)

Base attack: As fighter
Saves: As rogue

Class features:

1st: Fast Movement +10 ft., Weapon Focus(shortspear)
2nd: Dance the Spears (+2)
3rd: Uncanny Dodge
4th: Stealthy Movement
6th: Improved Uncanny Dodge
8th: Dance the Spears (+4)
12th: Uncanny Dodge (+2 against traps) This is okay, but at 12th level, I'm not sure how effective it will be.
14th: Dance the Spears (+6)
20th: Dance the Spears (+8 )

Dance the Spears: The Algai'd'siswai fighting style emphasizes speed, agility manuverability, and reflexes. At second level, an Algai'd'siswai recieves a +2 bonus on iniative checks. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level, +6 at 14th level, and +8 at 20th level.
This is a fun feature, but I think it may be spaced out a little too much. Extaordinary or supernatural?

Stealthy Movement: Algai'd'siswai may add their reflex save to all Move Silently and Hide checks.
I'm not sure how over or underpowered this is. My guess is over. Extraordinary or supernatural?
---

So that's the class, as writen. I'd say it's a little underpowered, but I'm not sure how to make it more effective. My first thoughts are some sort of AC bonus to offset the lack or armor, maybe bonuses to shortspear attack/damage or the skirmish class feature. Actually, I like the idea of Skrirmish for the Algai'd'siswai, as they emphasize speed, along with hit and run tactics. It's up to you kids, though. Thanks for your help.

Raolin_Fenix
2006-03-20, 11:59 PM
I'm a WoT fan myself, but I can't see too much reason not to just go with a dex-based fighter or ranger, who happens to use spears and refuses to use swords.

Edit: maybe an algai'd'siswai prestige class would be in order? They seem more like specialized fighter/rangers than an entire class all their own.

Dhavaer
2006-03-21, 12:07 AM
Since you say they use spears and shields, you could use a variant I've heard of that gives spears the 'hand-and-a-half' property. Essentially, simple spears are ued normally, martial spears can be used with one less hand, so shortspears are light and spears and longspears are one handed.

Gildes
2006-03-21, 12:08 AM
12th: Uncanny Dodge (+2 against traps) [i]
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. AC as Monk and skirmish up to 3d6 seems ok to me.

Dhavaer
2006-03-21, 12:10 AM
He's using 3.0, when Trap Sense was part of Uncanny Dodge.

Vonriel
2006-03-21, 12:30 AM
First off.. I believe the algai'd'swiswai were only a certain number of the Aiel. However, Aiel are a race, so I guess algai'd'swiswai is ok ;)

Even though you could play it as a high dex fighter/ranger, they're really not either when you really take a look at their abilities. They fight as well as any fighter, but have more of a ranger-like skillset, while a barbarian attitude towards combat.

As for their AC, I agree that they need some sort of boost. Perhaps they should get strength bonus to AC? Oooh, maybe a restricted combat expertise? These guys are masters of melee combat, after all. Lets see.. what else.. they should probably also get improved unarmed combat for free, considering that even if they're left without weapon, they'll get up and punch their opponent. As for the level 12 feat.. well, it does seem kinda underpowered, since they'll already have huge reflex saves (no armor means high dex, and rogue saves means high reflex anyway). I'm not entirely sure what to replace it with..

Nice concept, even if it doesn't work out ;)

Edit: Small one in what I said.. and note that I'm not terribly familiar with 3.0 items

Catch
2006-03-21, 12:55 AM
Well, after some browsing, I found an OCG book with a revised version of the class. I think this is somewhat more along the lines of what I was thinking, but perhaps a little too monk-like.

The variant gives unarmed damage as a monk, (1d6 up to 5th, 1d8 to 10th, and 1d12 up to 20). Personally, I'd just leave the unarmed damage at a d6. The Aiel were trained in unarmed combat, but not exclusively. Besides, if my fists are doing a d10 worth of damage, why would I use my spears?

The other significant bonus is the Spears of Death ability, which is a flurry attack. Basically, whenever the Algai'd'siswai makes a full attack with a shortspear, they get an additonal attack at their highest BAB, with a -2 penalty to all attacks made that round. At sixth level, they deal an extra 1d6 damage while using this ability, and at level 15, it increases to +2d6.

The only other ability is Trackless Step, which is the 3.0 version, with bonuses to the DC needed to track the Algai'd'swai. The Uncanny Dodge bonus to traps also increases, to a maximum of +4, but I'd probably just convert it to Trap Sense. Same thing, really.

I think this does the class better justice. If you think that it's overpowered, speak up, please.