PDA

View Full Version : Is my character overpowered?

Babale
2009-06-06, 02:53 PM
I have written up a druid 11/MoMF 10. He's decent, and I've won almost every in-group PvP game I was in. But that is because I only faced one spell-caster, and all of our games ended with one of us using too much cheese and agreeing to start over, a very suboptimal primary fighter, and an Angel of Death. With me assuming high Con forms.

But now, one person is claiming I'm overpowered. So, am I?

Char Sheet:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=128319

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-06, 02:54 PM
Are you using Pun-Pun?

If not, you're probably ok.

Saph
2009-06-06, 02:57 PM
You're a druid. Default answer is yes.

But overpowered is relative. It depends on the optimisation levels of the opponents and everyone else. Ultimately the question isn't whether you're overpowered, it's whether your character's disrupting the game or not. If it's not causing any problems, you're ok.

- Saph

Frog Dragon
2009-06-06, 02:57 PM
You have a druid that has been made with some basic efficiency concerning build options?

Yeah those types generally are. Druid is OP without even trying.

Double ninja'd! dammit.

Babale
2009-06-06, 03:00 PM
DRUID is OP. DRUID. I'm more of a shapeshifter then a druid. Only spellcasting as a level 11 druid, so the best I can summon is an elephant. And I can just barely cast CCW.

Oh, and I don't get an animal familiar.

Still OP?

raptor1056
2009-06-06, 03:58 PM
We can't really know if you're overpowered without a good look at the rest of your party. Power is relative to that against which you are going to be tested. If you are playing against a well thought out Batman Wizard, then you're fine. If you're going against a crappy Evoker, then you're OP, or he's OP. To paraphrase Einstein, it's all relative, bro.

RTGoodman
2009-06-06, 04:00 PM
Still OP?

The only thing I really see that could be considered cheesy or overpowered is that you have wilding clasps on freakin' everything. I mean, I don't blame you, but that could be part of the problem - you're not losing ANYTHING by wild-shaping.

Khatoblepas
2009-06-06, 04:02 PM
DRUID is OP. DRUID. I'm more of a shapeshifter then a druid. Only spellcasting as a level 11 druid, so the best I can summon is an elephant. And I can just barely cast CCW.

Oh, and I don't get an animal familiar.

Still OP?

Wildshape is still pretty powerful. You get to dump half (or even ALL) your stats and still be awesome, you have unrivalled versatility in the forms you manifest in, and *peeks* you have Assume Supernatural Ability.

Though your stats are all wacky, your physical stats get replaced in Wildshape. Why are they so high? Edit: Magic items with Wilding Clasps! Clever.

Anyway, I don't think you're overpowered, but your party is underpowered compared to you. Help them help themselves, I can't stand Fighters going to waste. :P

Eldariel
2009-06-06, 04:07 PM
Compared to casters, no, you're not overpowered. Compared to melee, yes, obviously. Although well-built martialist CAN challenge a shapeshifter on a rather even ground. But the game is epic; everything without Epic Spellcasting might as well not exist if talking strictly power.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-06, 04:20 PM
It depends entirely on what forms you assume. If you're using War Troll, Rage Drake, Chronotyryn, Ironmaw, Living Holocaust, Pthisic, Tundra Landwyrm, and the biggest/highest HD dragons you can pick, then you're probably going to be overpowered. If you're just sticking to the core Monster Manual and not getting many decent abilities from your forms, then you're probably not going to be overpowered. Abilities like Fast Healing and Regeneration make it easy to look overpowered. Overlapping Wild Shapes, i.e. turn into a creature and use its special ability, turn into another creature and attack for a few rounds, dismiss the second form to revert back to the first again without spending another wild shape to use its special ability again, etc. is a strong tactic as well.

I'm not seeing any Bite of the Weretiger, Extended Greater Creeping Cold, Call Avalanche, or even Fire Seeds. I wouldn't even consider your current spellcasting as a factor in determining whether your character is overpowered.

Against another Big 4 character, i.e. a properly prepared Wizard or Archivist or a properly buffed Cleric, I doubt this character would stand a chance. In a party with Tier 3 and lower characters, those characters may feel a bit underpowered, especially if melee combat is supposed to be their niche. Most melee-focused classes are severely limited in what they can do outside of combat, and will often feel powerless in those situations. Playing a character that's better at melee combat than a melee class, who also shines outside of combat, will look to those players like he's overpowered. In the epic levels, those classes are extremely weak anyway, so it's no surprise that they would think you're overpowered just because you're playing a viable character and they're not. Other Tier 1-3 characters, if properly played, would not accuse you of playing an overpowered character, but judging from what I've seen I doubt anyone in your group would be able to properly play an epic level spellcaster.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: You've made a viable epic level character and seem to be playing him well. Other players in your group either didn't make viable epic level characters, or they made a viable character but they're not playing it to its full potential. If the rest of your group made viable characters and is playing them well, then you wouldn't be accused of being overpowered. It is because of their failing, not yours, that this is happening. You don't need to change anything, they just need to learn to play better. Maybe they aren't even ready for epic level play in the first place.

elonin
2009-06-06, 04:38 PM
Having no experience with epic play I can't understand the percieved power of wizards as being that much more than pre epic casters. These spells all have insane dc's to beat often 150 or more. With the cost of researching the seed(s) and spell in gold and xp for each jump in power you seek that's a good way of making yourself poor and inexperienced quickly. And on top of that these spells also tend to have the component of having other spells thrown in to cast. And then there is spending feats to gain spell levels which should be a class feature. Am I misunderstanding this?

NecroRebel
2009-06-06, 04:54 PM
Having no experience with epic play I can't understand the percieved power of wizards as being that much more than pre epic casters. These spells all have insane dc's to beat often 150 or more. With the cost of researching the seed(s) and spell in gold and xp for each jump in power you seek that's a good way of making yourself poor and inexperienced quickly. And on top of that these spells also tend to have the component of having other spells thrown in to cast. And then there is spending feats to gain spell levels which should be a class feature. Am I misunderstanding this?

Mitigate spell DCs down to 0 via rituals, which you cast with the aid of creatures Called via other, less powerful permanent Epic spells. Given time, which is easily acquired in literally endless amounts by Plane Shifting to a timeless plane or your own personal Genesis-wrought demiplane (which can have 1000:1 or more time passage), you can mitigate arbitrarily-high spell DCs to 0 at level 21. 0 DC means 0 gp, 0 xp, and 0 time to develop, so you're just dealing with hundred-day-long cast times (which aren't important due to fast time) or your and your minions' available spell slots (which recover every day, meaning they aren't important due to fast time).

The "other spells thrown in to cast" are those contributed by Couatls, Solars, or custom-made spellcasting minions. The "feats to gain spell levels" are epic-level feats that give you higher--than-10th-level spell slots in which to put metamagiced spells, and isn't actually needed for utter game-breaking epic play.

Essentially, a level 21 spellcaster of any sort has theoretically limitless power within seconds after attaining that 21st level.

Babale
2009-06-06, 05:04 PM
Hey, why are vanilla druids considered Overpowered in the first place?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-06, 05:10 PM
Hey, why are vanilla druids considered Overpowered in the first place?Full-casting from a decent list, Wildshape that, on it's own, makes you better than people who specialize in melee, and a pet who is appx equal to a Warrior of your level before you boost it with your spells. 3 things, any one of which would be a tier 2-4 class, combine to make it tier one, and far easier to optimize than a Cleric or Artificer. Dzilla, indeed.

elonin
2009-06-06, 05:11 PM
Not that I know much about them. It's mostly about the wildshape, which druids can live in for the most part. They can use this power to become whatever they need in any situation. Due to the way that wildshaping works the druid keeps his own mental stats and takes the physical stats of the creature he's shaped into. What's more is with wilding clasps they can use the beneficial magic items that are normally inert when shifted. There is also the benefit of being able to cast in any form with natural spell which means there is no statistical downside to being in wild shape. This also lets them dump many of their stats without sucking.

darn ninja'd

grautry
2009-06-06, 05:24 PM
Well, depends on what you consider overpowered.

If your party consists of a non-optimized Fighter, Monk and Healer then you're probably overpowered.

If your party has a CoD-zilla, Artificer and a Wizard(all well played) then no, not really.

Assume Supernatural Ability is a bit on the cheesy side, yes, but by that level(as a full druid) you'd have Shapechange already, which is vastly superior.

I don't see anything overpowered about your character at all. It's a well-built, reasonable character that's good at what he does while not outshining everyone else - in a moderately optimized party at least.

Tengu_temp
2009-06-06, 07:01 PM
An epic character who does not have access to epic spellcasting? Not overpowered.

IM@work
2009-06-06, 08:29 PM
An epic character who does not have access to epic spellcasting? Not overpowered.

I agree. Shapeshifting in general is seen by all as overpowered due to its high amount of versatility, but in epic D+D everything that's not "overpowered" is in for some trouble once they meet some epic monsters. It might seem overpowered when you do 1 vs. 1, but will your group say the same versus a herd of tarrasques being riden by solars? probably not.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-07, 06:09 AM
You've given up Ninth level spells (including Shapechange which blows your wildshaping out of the water) for a subpar build, still strong but not anything special. Fun though.

No, nowhere near overpowered compared to any full caster 17.

Just leave Assume Supernatural Ability out and you've got nothing to feel guilty about.

BobVosh
2009-06-07, 06:26 AM
suboptimal primary fighter, and an Angel of Death
Compared to that? Hells ya. (well, don't know what the AoD is, but if it is near the fighter in power...)

MoMF is subpar as far as druds go. Wild clasps on everything is kinda silly, but basically required in epic druid play. You are what I would rate a 3rd tier (out of the 5) build for a druid. Intentionally nerfed down to party level of play.

*edit* One qualifier: You aren't going full out cheese with your form choices. Not that it isn't easier to do with shapechange, as was previously mentioned.

Eloel
2009-06-07, 06:43 AM
You're an epic druid, without epic spellcasting, without planar shepherd levels.
No, you're not overpowered.

Eldan
2009-06-07, 07:09 AM
The Angel od Death (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62659) (my character he was talking about) is actually quite powerful, having Death Attacks, full BAB, full sneak attack and maneuvers. We had a few duels, he used slightly cheesy forms (Spellweaver, prismatic dragon, Hive Mother with focused antimagic) and I still got a few solid hits in, so I wouldn't say it's really too powerful.

Malacode
2009-06-07, 07:23 AM
Hard to tell in a vacuum. For an honest and accurate answer, the sheets of the rest of the group would bee needed.

Going against the average power level of my group and parties -I've- been in:
About average, maybe just above. Definitely not overpowered in one of our high level games. I mean, Druids are plenty powerful, but 9th level spells/Epic Spellcasting blows Wildshape out of the water. Way better than any pure Melee character not out of ToB:BoNS.

kyuubigan
2009-06-07, 05:59 PM
I can't really say without seeing the char sheets of the rest of your party. On another note, where did you get the program to make that sheet?

Flickerdart
2009-06-07, 06:08 PM
I can't really say without seeing the char sheets of the rest of your party. On another note, where did you get the program to make that sheet?
Myth Weavers (myth-weavers.com) and The Tangled Web (thetangledweb.net) both offer character sheet blanks you can save on-site.

GoC
2009-06-07, 06:16 PM
The rest of the party. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113859)