PDA

View Full Version : Monk question

Origomar
2009-06-06, 03:12 PM
I was watching a show and monks could use these things called the twin hooks http://www.karatedepot.com/sites/karatedepot/images/items/large/wp-sw-90.jpg

and under the list that i have at wizard.com(3.5 version) it doesnt say they can use swords, and i was wondering if there are some exceptions or is it just a DM ruleing or something.

RTGoodman
2009-06-06, 03:16 PM
Monks in 3.x generally aren't proficient with swords and such. However, there's a feat in some sourcebook that lets a Monk wield a longsword as if it were a monk weapon. Also, for the hook swords you mention, they're probably Exotic Weapons that a Monk could take a feat to become proficient with.

Spiryt
2009-06-06, 03:22 PM
I would cald this things one handed martial weapon - only 1d6/ x2, but with bonuses both to disarming enemy and avoiding being disarmed. And with trip attacks.

And it's still sword-like, so not for D&D monks.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-06, 04:28 PM
Hook swords are in Secrets of Sarlona. Exotic weapons, you can hook them together and use them are reach weapons.

AslanCross
2009-06-06, 04:39 PM
Monks in 3.x generally aren't proficient with swords and such. However, there's a feat in some sourcebook that lets a Monk wield a longsword as if it were a monk weapon. Also, for the hook swords you mention, they're probably Exotic Weapons that a Monk could take a feat to become proficient with.

That would be from the Eberron Campaign Setting. It has several feats that allow monks to use certain martial weapons as monk weapons.