PDA

View Full Version : [4e] - When Hell Freezes Over (Warlock Build) (143.5 DPR @ Level 12)

Shadow_Elf
2009-06-06, 03:43 PM
Okay, so I figured I would bring the basics of this build to this forum before introducing it to the cut-throat world of Gleemax CharOp.

The Basics:
Race: Human
Class: Warlock (Duh)
Pact: Infernal Pact or Fey Pact (as long as you acquire Hellish Rebuke)

Relevant Feats:
White Lotus Riposte
Improved White Lotus Riposte
Lasting Frost
Winter Touched
Arcane Fire
Arcane Admixture (Cold) (Hellish Rebuke)
Dual-Implement Spellcaster
Astral Fire OR Burning Blizzard OR Weapon Focus: Light Blades

Relevant Powers:
Hellish Rebuke

Relevant Items:
Pact Dagger (if taking Weapon Focus)
Wand of Improved Hellish Rebuke

The Basics:

You shoot an enemy with Hellish Rebuke, dealing:

1d6 + CON mod + enhancement + off-hand enhancement + feat bonus + Warlock's Curse damage. They also gain vulnerable 10 to cold (5 from Lasting Frost and 5 from Arcane Fire). If they attack you back, they take 1d6 + CON mod + enhancement + off-hand enhancement + feat bonus + INT mod (WL Riposte) + 10 (vulnerability) and you also repeat the Hellish rebuke attack on them for another 1d6 + CON mod + enhancement bonus + off-hand enhancement bonus + feat bonus + 10 damage.
On your next turn, you provoke an attack of opportunity with another Hellish Rebuke. You get to attack them and they take the auto damage. Once your immediate reaction recharges, you get another spike in damage. Repeat.

Thoughts?

shadzar
2009-06-06, 03:57 PM
:smalleek: Holy Snit! What level?

Shadow_Elf
2009-06-06, 04:07 PM
Minimum level 12 for the full build, but it is totally playable until you get there. Its lasting frost, arcane admixture and white lotus master riposte that really make the build, and they're all paragon, and the build is most optimal when you wait for Paragon to have the Dex for Dual-Implement casting. I'll crunch the numbers for a level 12 one soon.

Shadow_Elf
2009-06-06, 04:37 PM
Attack 1: Your Turn
1d6 + 2d6 (Warlock's Curse) + 6 (CON) + 3 (ENCH) + 3 (ENCH). Damage is fire and cold. Target gains vulnerable 10 cold.

Then they hit you:
1d6 + 6 (CON) + 3 (ENCH) + 3 (ENCH) + 6 (White Lotus Riposte) + 10 (Vulnerability).
And you repeat the attack against them:
1d6 + 6 (CON) + 3(ENCH) + 3 (ENCH) + 10 (Vulnerability)

On your turn, you provoke an opportunity attack and attack them:
Attack 2:
1d6 + 2d6 (Warlock's Curse) + 6 (CON) + 3 (ENCH) + 3 (ENCH) + 10 (Vulnerability)
And auto-damage for hurting you:
1d6 + 6 (CON) + 3 (ENCH) + 3 (ENCH) + 6 (White Lotus) + 10 (Vulnerability).

In two of your turns, that's an average of:
143.5 damage, at level 12.

RTGoodman
2009-06-06, 04:50 PM
Some other things that might help (since I just tried out the build on the Character Builder):

-If you take Infernal Pact, take chains of Levistus as your Level 1 Encounter power - hit 'em with it, and they take 2d6 + Con (+ a bunch more) cold damage, and if they move they take another 2d6 cold damage AND you get +2 atk against them.

-The White Lotus Enervation feat is great here, too - when you hit an enemy with an at-will arcane attack power, they take a -1 penalty to the defense that power targeted until the end of your next turn. Do penalties stack? If so, that SUCKS for the enemy.

-Take the Academy Master PP - their learned boost Level 11 power lets you use any at-will arcane power AND you deal +2 dice of damage on a hit. The Level 12 Utility also lets you not expend an arcane encounter power when you miss, and that could include learned boost.

-The tyrannical threat Warlock Daily 5 power is great for you - you auto-curse the target, and as an EFFECT, until the end of the encounter they take Int mod damage when they attack you.

-The rod of resurgent valor is decent for this - as a minor action, you get a +1 bonus to attacks rolls against creatures that have attacked you until the end of your next turn.

-Deathburst armor is also good - its minor action daily power is, until the end of your next turn, any creature that hits you with a melee attack takes 2d8 + Con mod necrotic damage.

Gralamin
2009-06-06, 05:05 PM
Attack 1: Your Turn
1d6 + 2d6 (Warlock's Curse) + 6 (CON) + 3 (ENCH) + 3 (ENCH). Damage is fire and cold. Target gains vulnerable 10 cold.

Then they hit you:
1d6 + 6 (CON) + 3 (ENCH) + 3 (ENCH) + 6 (White Lotus Riposte) + 10 (Vulnerability).
And you repeat the attack against them:
1d6 + 6 (CON) + 3(ENCH) + 3 (ENCH) + 10 (Vulnerability)

On your turn, you provoke an opportunity attack and attack them:
Attack 2:
1d6 + 2d6 (Warlock's Curse) + 6 (CON) + 3 (ENCH) + 3 (ENCH) + 10 (Vulnerability)
And auto-damage for hurting you:
1d6 + 6 (CON) + 3 (ENCH) + 3 (ENCH) + 6 (White Lotus) + 10 (Vulnerability).

In two of your turns, that's an average of:
143.5 damage, at level 12.

On average, enemies of your level will have a reflex of 23.38. Using this number and your attack bonus, you can find your 'true' DPR.

NecroRebel
2009-06-06, 05:25 PM
On average, enemies of your level will have a reflex of 23.38. Using this number and your attack bonus, you can find your 'true' DPR.

He's also assuming that the enemies are hitting back, which they aren't at all obligated to. At the very least, most monsters should not take the opportunity attack if they got hit by the rebuke on their turn because it hurts so damned much. Though, if we're considering optimal conditions for damage we can assume that they are attacking twice, so... Meh.

Regardless, both your chance to hit monsters and the monsters' chance to hit you need to be considered as a multiplier to get your true average DPR. It's a very good damage value, but it has its downsides, such as the necessity for you to be in melee range to provoke OAs and the damage you'll take as a result making you extremely squishy and tempting target for enemies not under your rebuke.

Baxbart
2009-06-06, 05:41 PM
Ironically enough, I'm playing something very similar to this at the moment. The Hellish Rebuke Admixtured/Lasting Frost/Arcane Fire trick is something I noticed as well. The major difference is that my Warlock multiclassed into Wizard and took Rimetongue Caller as his Paragon Path (cold based, of course), and is working on replacing as many powers as possible with cold damage.

Enormously fun, I assure. I'm still hassling the party to buy some of the whetstones that deal cold damage on their weapons, but they haven't gotten around to it yet.

He'll be buying a Rod of Eldritch Admixture as soon as feasible.