PDA

View Full Version : Unearthed Arcana/Alternate Rules [3.5]

mohdri
2009-06-06, 06:02 PM
There are a lot of alternate rules from UA that I hear people talk about regularly (Cloistered Cleric, Totem Barbarian, variant Paladins, Gestalt progression and more).

I was wondering if anyone has used these alternate rules, and if so, how much they were liked (or not) or how well they played out:

1) Weapon Group Feats
2) Craft Points
3) Massive Damage Thresholds and Results
4) Action Points (maybe common in Eberron campaigns)
5) Metamagic Components
6) Spontaneous Metamagic

I'm looking to use a few in an upcomming campaign.

Starscream
2009-06-06, 06:26 PM
I've used the Weapon Group feats. It worked fine, might use it again someday.

To be honest, it didn't really make much of a difference in gameplay. I just thought it made sense. You'd expect someone who is trained to use axes to be able to use any type of axe fairly well, for instance.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-06, 09:09 PM
1) Weapon Group Feats; Made sense to me, I tryed them out and it had a very small effect on gameplay.

4) Action Points; I love action points. I often have a solo character because of lack of players, and they haved saved me so many times that I cannot even count them.

5) Metamagic Components; Good in a one shot, suck otherwise.

mohdri
2009-06-06, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I was thinking of using Metamagic components in addition to the base rules just for somthing different.

I'm really looking at the Spontaneous Metamagic variant(s) as a means of reeling in spell casting somewhat. I'm not looking to nerf basic spellcasting completly (a few spells here and there I'm going to either eliminate or rewrite but nothing major). I don't have any optimizers in my group, but I also want to spellcasters to (naturally in the course of time) get too far ahead of the skill monkeys and meleers in the group.

Crow
2009-06-07, 12:45 AM
I didn't like the craft points variant. Really unless your group makes a point of going into detail about their nightly routines and what they're working on, it just feels like new items appear out of thin air.