PDA

View Full Version : ¿Feng Shui Roleplaying Game?

Kantolin
2009-06-06, 07:08 PM
So a group of friends are contemplating playing Feng Shui.

All I know about it is it 'emulates Hong Kong action movies'.

I'm mostly curious as to other people's reactions/opinions on it. I suppose this is a topic where I'm asking for people to come describe it, what they liked, whatever.

shadzar
2009-06-06, 07:12 PM
I cannot add to the thread for your sake, but I have heard of this as well, but never seen it to buy or play. It does sound interesting from what I have read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feng_Shui_(role-playing_game)).

Glimbur
2009-06-06, 07:18 PM
I have the core rulebook. It's somewhat like Exalted in that you should be describing your over the top shenanigans for bonus dice. Also, play like you're in an Action Movie. As to the nuts and bolts of it... I've barely played any.

TerrickTerran
2009-06-06, 08:05 PM
I haven't played in ages but it was a really great game. The more you play it as movielike, the more fun we had playing it.

Kantolin
2009-06-06, 10:43 PM
Hm... doesn't seem to be the most popular of games. ^_^

Everyone seems to have heard what I've heard about it.

Froogleyboy
2009-06-06, 11:15 PM
Um . . . Feng Shui? Where you arrang your furniture for good luck.

BobVosh
2009-06-07, 12:18 AM
Um . . . Feng Shui? Where you arrang your furniture for good luck.

Sounds like a boring system >.>

Samuel Sturm
2009-06-07, 12:23 AM
It's a lot of fun.
You'll need 2 D6's that can be easily distinguished from each other.
Just remember, it is like a cheesy Hong Kong movie in every way.

Also, at the start of every session, the DM will say "You are in a small diner in downtown Hong Kong. What are you doing?" The thing is, the DM doesn't tell the story. You do.

Say somebody shoots at you. There is no AC. The DM will ask, what are you doing? Describe what you do to make the bullet miss. The cooler your action, the more likely you will succeed.

There is basically one rule. The Rule of Cool.

DMfromTheAbyss
2009-06-07, 02:11 AM
OK think Big Trouble in Little China, the RPG.

One of the simplest, easiest to play and most fun systems I've had the pleasure to make the aquantance of. It has both ease of play and great depth. Fun rules for critical failures and succeses (you will love and fear the box-cars aka rolling both 6's) and it actually encourages you to do cool stuff.

Stat wise try to pick something with a high Action Value (though everything is at least ok) Cheese can be had with Supernatural creature powers, Transformed animals are the most busted in the long run, and avoid anything with "arcanowave" in it's title like the plauge until you understand the rules. (or your healing ability might eat your friends... yes it's possible:smallbiggrin:)
Magic is also cool, especially Fertillity which I have seen abused to much hilarity.

Take any concept from any game/movie/idea you've ever come up with and have a character done in less than 5 minutes... and it actually still plays well. Friend of mine made Cthulu (the Player Character version) before his friend could get back from a quick pee break. What other game can you have a weretiger, a shaolin monk and an tetragromaton cleric mix it up with the terminator, a cybernetic demon and an ancient tibetan sorcerer (with all beggining characters?)

God I wish i could find a Feng Shui game again... maybe I'll start one on PBP... if I have time:smallconfused:.

EDIT in answer to gentleman ninja above me: technically how hard you are to hit is just your action value, it's like your level, attack, defence stat. Mind you you can active dodge and do cool stuff to modify it.. but the game is a bit more than freeform RPing.

Asur
2009-06-12, 03:59 PM
I add my voice to those who have played. Such an incedibly fun game. Don't let the simplicity fool you, you don't need a lot of rules to have a good system.

kjones
2009-06-12, 06:17 PM
I've always wanted to play this! It seems like a lot of fun.

How many Feng Shui players does it take to change a lightbulb?
Three - one to take out the power for the entire eastern seaboard, one to change every lightbulb in New York City, and the third just to look cool.

Duff
2009-06-12, 08:28 PM
I claim that I had my character ride her motorbike up the embankment at the side of a bridge (I asked the gm if there was such an embankment as a leading question - that's part of how feng shui works) into a helicopter which was chasing us BEFORE I saw it in a movie!

Feel free to add to the description of the fight environment, if you fall off the roof, you should ask if there is a balcony, the gm will probably say yes.
If you ask if there is a balcony you can use to swing in thoug the open window to land at the head of the taable as a family sit downfor dinner the gm will almost Haave to say yes!