PDA

View Full Version : Mind's Eye Theater and World of Darkness?

Maerok
2009-06-06, 08:25 PM
What's the relation between Mind's Eye Theater and World of Darkness?

I was looking over both of the hardcover main books today in a hobby shop and they seemed rather similar. I've seen some other MET stuff, but IIRC those were paperback additions that I saw in a used book store.

elonin
2009-06-06, 08:32 PM
My best guess is that MET is WOD rules for live action play. WOD is the setting for white wolfs story teller system used for live action and table top.

Set
2009-06-06, 08:33 PM
Mind's Eye Theater is the live-action (LARP) ruleset to play in the World of Darkness.

Generally, everyone has a certain number of traits, and uses rock-scissors-papers to resolve opposed skill uses or combat actions. The more traits you have in that area, the better ties resolve, and some stuff, like Potence (super-strength) might allow one the use of a special option, or to force a re-contest if you lost a roll or something.

Generally, the object was to make the game-resolution require no dice or pencils, just a single sheet of paper with your game stats written down on it.

The other (generally hardcover) World of Darkness rules books are for the tabletop system, which has all of the bells and whistles one would expect of a tabletop RPG, including many, many handsfull of dice.

shadzar
2009-06-06, 08:34 PM
Vampire the Masquerade relationship:

White Wolf made tabletop rules.

Mind's Eye Theatre made LARP rules for the tabletop game.

Maerok
2009-06-06, 08:38 PM
Alright. That's what I kind of thought. Someone's bound to put an eye out with all those d10's...

Now does anyone actually use Mind's Eye? I've seen some sites, but I often find myself in the decrepit dungeons of 1990's webpages where nothing has been updated in years.

shadzar
2009-06-06, 08:46 PM
Alright. That's what I kind of thought. Someone's bound to put an eye out with all those d10's...

Now does anyone actually use Mind's Eye? I've seen some sites, but I often find myself in the decrepit dungeons of 1990's webpages where nothing has been updated in years.

Last time was when I helped ST an 80 player game back around 1995.

amanamana
2009-06-06, 09:07 PM
Last time was last decade, in high school. It allows you to solve some things very quickly. The best part was, for me, the ones not related to combat, as I don't see much fun in MET's combat. Lacks the thrill of rolling the dice.

Runeclaw
2009-06-06, 11:39 PM
MET is not a different company than White Wolf - it is just the name of the product line for the LARP versions of WOD books.

The MET versions of the New WOD material (i.e. Requiem/Forsaken/etc) no longer uses RPS but instead reccomends that you carry a d10 or draw cards or otherwise generate a random 1-10 result - but typically requires only one roll for an action instead of many.

You can find large WOD LARP games out there such as the Camarilla (White Wolf's official club) or One World by Night (old WOD).