PDA

View Full Version : Road block 3.87125

TheGrimace
2009-06-06, 09:42 PM
So, as a bunch of people are doing on here, I'm designing my own version of Dungeons and Dragons. My version is a great big massive overhaul, where I have forsaken such things as "rounds" and "D20s". I'm making quite an effort to include zero copyrighted materials in my version, and here is the issue that I have struck.

I have "arcana" which runs on a spell points per encounter system

I have "weaving" which runs on an engine similar to invocations, only your weaves improve as you level, instead of picking up better ones

and I have "channeling" which runs on a vancian spell by level system, with daily and encounter features, as well as "miracles" which allow you to cast any spell you know, even if it's not prepared.

My channeling engine is not at all elegant. It's lumpy, and upsets me. Does anyone else have some revolutionary engine that I can jack and adapt for my divine spellcasters?

Zeta Kai
2009-06-06, 10:06 PM
I don't have any system that I'm over-willing to share with you. :smallwink:

Seriously though, I, like you, am working on an RPG system that attempts to capture the freedom & complexity of D&D without all the dross. As such, my magic system will be skill-based, like a Truenamer that works. It may involve an MP system, or not; I haven't decided. But skill-based magic is the way for me.

TheGrimace
2009-06-07, 02:52 AM
I've looked at the idea of turning everything into a function of skills, and I find that it is fantastic for game balance. D20R Has even taken feats in that direction with prowess features. They're great at what they do, and I fully support that method.

However, I find that one of my favorite things about third edition is their fragmented power sources. Everything seems to run on different arbitrary systems, which can be infuriating. To me, though, creating bizarre and amazing effects through the interaction of these features is great fun both as a player and as a dungeon master. Therefore, I'm trying to maintain the basis that things that are different flavor wise should be different mechanically.

Variety is the spice of life, they say. If I want to play a mathematical, well thought out and designed game, I'll play fourth edition... slash that, WHEN I want to do the above...

If I want to fool around with a bunch of friends and enjoy spectacular ridiculous results and comedic situations, I need a game that can give me that.

Anyway... Divine Spellcasting... fail... suck...