PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a skill challenge. (4.0)

lordhack
2009-06-06, 09:55 PM
So I want to include a classic ceiling coming down and crushing the party trap, but it doesn't really fit in to the 4.0 mentality. It's pretty save or die, and would be an encounter of its own rather than part if a fight. I decided a skill challenge would be a good way to go with it, but I need a bit of help figuring out how skills might apply. I'm a firm believer that any skill that the PCs can justify using can be used, but I'm not sure exactly what skills I should suggest to them. Perhaps endurance, to keep the ceiling from falling on them, and thievery to disable the gears, and probably Dungeoneering for something but other than that, I'm stumped. I'm also thinking of giving them a strike each round, though if I do, I'll probably make it an easy challenge. And suggestions for how to run this?

Atcote
2009-06-06, 09:59 PM
Dungeoneering could be used to find a weak spot in the making of the ceiling, and then an Endurance/STR check to break through it. Same for finding the location of the gears controlling the trap. Can't really think of many more skills to use though (I don't actually have a list of them on me).

Mr. Mud
2009-06-06, 10:04 PM
Make them have some sort of crazy incentive for going to that room... say the ceiling is false, and the lich is hiding some "lewt" and the key to the vault where his phylactery is hidden. Or say they've awoke the primordial under the dungeon, or the Blarog they just stole from is angry. Or, if they are heroic stage, say an ogre is chasing them :smalltongue:.

shadzar
2009-06-06, 10:09 PM
With the limited number of skill you are right. This kind of trap doesn't belong in the 4th edition design philosophy.

That being said, screw the designers!

History. Someone with this skill isn't just limited to one thing in history, but devices such as this being used or popular, and may be able to determine it prior to it engaging should their perception check give them reaon to think of using the skill.

Dungeoneering as you said.

Thievery to disable it, as well endurance to prevent being crushed.

You could make it for the party rather than a single player to pass the right number of checks before failing on endurance when everyone get crushed.

One person spots it, the other has to disable a few things, all the while someone(s) else must hold it before they all die.

Becomes a whole party skill challenge, rather than just a one person thing, and all must contribute in their own way rather than one person do it and the others just offer some bonus +1 for assisting.

If spotted remember that once closed the trap must still be disabled to raise it to unblock the path, which still requires disabling it, and then maybe lifting it back out of the way and locking the ceiling in place or they must find a way around it.

You do intend to close them in the room with a slow ceiling so they have to do something other than just walk out right? Or will it be an open room that the ceiling just crashes down at full speed?

lordhack
2009-06-06, 10:17 PM
Already have a way to get them in Mrmudd, and thanks for the suggestions shadzar. The idea is that they'll be locked in the room, so perhaps Thievery to open the door to get out, Dungeoneering (Which none of the PCs have trained) to slow the trap, and make at least two of them use endurance to hold the ceiling up. I think I have it pretty much down, but what should I do on the off chance that they fail? A TPK isn't the goal, and loosing all of their healing surges seems a bit steep, since they aren't going to be able to rest for at least 2 fights after the trap, any suggestions there?

shadzar
2009-06-06, 10:36 PM
:smallconfused: TPK isn't good?

You sure like to make things hard!

If they fail they only partially disable and freeze the trap in place. The ceiling stops moving and cannot be lifted. Breaking through the door then becomes difficult and the cramped space doesn't even allow for a short rest.

Also breakign through the door will alert anything nearby and start an instant encounter where the enemy of the PCs have surprise equivalent and get to go first as the PCs crawl out of the room.

Passing would not have alerted anyone directly to come to the PCs location as the trap sometimes goes off with vermin wandering in so no need to check every time, but this time the door was busted open and a few rats ain't gonna do that!

So failing doesn't end in TPK, but greatly puts the PC group at a disadvantage from having a fight right after the trap, and also slows down their action time while each PC get out into the fight to help whoever of the PCs went out first and got caught by the level X encounter worth of monsters that came to check out this noise and disturbance.

Again, this is just off the top of my head, so may require refinement for your game.

Quellian-dyrae
2009-06-07, 01:10 AM
What if you made it a series of skill challenges? Say that when the ceiling starts to fall, the doors all lock, and maybe have the doors at a somewhat higher level than the floor. So first challenge involves halting the ceiling (Perception, Dungeoneering, or...do they still have something like Architecture/Engineering? I'm kinda assuming not since it hasn't been mentioned in the threat yet, but yeah it if they do). Anyway, those two/three, plus Thievery. The goal of this challenge is to pick the locks or locate and disable the gears before the ceiling gets dangerously low. If they open the doors, good. If they disable the trap, the doors will open shortly thereafter on a timer (or disabling the trap might disable the lock).

If they fail, it's on to challenge number two, which uses Athletics to be able to hold up the ceiling, Endurance to see how long they can do so, and, if they hold it up long enough for the timer to re-open the doors, Perception to hear them unlock and Acrobatics to scramble out (since the ceiling is partially blocking the doors, which are raised compared to the PCs).

If they fail utterly, that's pretty much TPK. If they fail the later checks, or only fail some of the early checks, they have slowed the ceiling enough that the trap's timer halts before crushing them. Then they have a third challenge, similar to the second, but this time using Athletics to push the ceiling up enough that they can get some leverage on the doors, Endurance to hold it at that level, Thievery, Acrobatics, or Athletics to get the doors to actually open with what little room they have to maneuver, and Acrobatics to get out of the room. Even if they are so unlucky to fail there, it just means that they're stuck until whoever runs the place checks things out, at which point they have a combat encounter.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-06-07, 01:45 AM
There was actually a "death trap" example in a Dragon magazine article awhile back. I wish I knew where it was - I just downloaded the PDF for reference.

OK, so a crushing ceiling trap should be set up like this:
- The ceiling is falling at a steady rate (the PCs have a set time limit)
- There should be objects about that suggest courses of action (locks to pick, groves to jam swords in)

Skill Checks should fall into two categories:
- Physical (trying to stop the trap)
- Mental (trying to figure out how to stop the trap)

Physical Checks should either add to escape or give more time. Mental Checks should provide additional routes for Physical Checks (or grant bonuses to Physical Checks).

OK, now figure out how the PCs are "supposed" to get out of the trap - clearly locked door, metal grate, etc. For kicks add a second way out that could be discovered through Mental Checks. Now think about all the skills available, and how they can be used (and what effect they would have). Make mini-challenges (4/3) for substantial effects.

Example
TIME: Ceiling reaches "crush" in 10 rounds

EXIT #1: The door has a 6/3 Lock on it with an Electric Rune Trap that activates once the ceiling begins to lower, shocking anyone who touches the door.

EXIT #2: There is a loose stone (Perception Hard, 4/3) in the wall that, if removed (Athletics Hard, 1 Check) allows a Small creature to squeeze outside the room (Acrobatics Hard, 1 Check). Outside is the Reset Switch which, when found, will retract the ceiling.

PHYSICAL: Hold up the Ceiling (Athletics/Hard) [4/3]
- Success: The Ceiling stops advancing; the holding character makes a Moderate Endurance check every round or see Failure
- Failure: The character exhausts himself - he can take no actions until passing an Easy Endurance Check or spending a Healing Surge
- Assist: Characters may assist on the Athletics check, but if they Succeed then all must individually take Endurance checks - Failure by 1 makes all subsequent ones Hard until everyone fails.

MENTAL: Find the Switch (Perception/Hard, Dungeoneering/Moderate) [1 Check]
- Success: Locate the failsafe switch. Disarm The Trap may now be tried
- Failure: Unable to find secret panel
- Assist: Yes (Perception), No (Dungeoneering)
EDIT: Also, never suggest skills to PCs during a Skill Challenge. Ask them what they want to do, and then tell them what to roll. It works much better that way.

Also - if you want to do the "trapped room" Encounter, then set up a room with lots of Skill Challenges. Make your way past the Pendulum Blades, dodge the dart traps, leap the alligator pit, and then retrieve the idol without causing a giant boulder to roll towards you :smalltongue:

Basically, don't go for the TPK room - just make it a dangerous place to be.