PDA

View Full Version : Help Khan Give Money to Publishers! Pieth Edition

The Rose Dragon
2009-06-06, 10:05 PM
The monthly edition of helping your resident grinch buy a new book is around! Let's all join in everyone (except for you people who would suggest D&D).

There are three companies that I like giving lots of money to: Green Ronin, White Wolf and Eden Studios. However, seeing how Green Ronin doesn't have Mecha & Manga out yet, we're going to focus on the latter two.

On White Wolf front, there is Changeling and Exalted, so the main question is which one should I choose and why. You can also choose another creature type, but you should mention it's strengths and weaknesses (gameplay-wise). Also, explain which books should I buy for either Changeling or Exalted (I'm missing Compass books and Roll of Glorious Divinities II, as well as Scroll of Kings).

On Eden Studios front, I've got all the AFMBE books so far, so I need to branch out a bit. What would you suggest? I'm looking at Ghosts of Albion or a Witchcraft supplement.

And finally, there is [insert your choice here]. I like wuxia, old fairy tales, post-apocalyptic games and pulp.

So, what will it be?

Nohwl
2009-06-06, 10:13 PM
roll a d20. if its low, go with the first option. if its high, go with the second.

shadzar
2009-06-06, 10:15 PM
Rifts from Palladium? (PDFs can be found at RPGNow and DRIVETHRURPG)

Warhammer? (RPG or minis (Tau = anime-ish mecha))

The Rose Dragon
2009-06-06, 10:17 PM
OK... Why Rifts? Why Warhammer? Why anything? I'm not going to go blindly there, after all.

((I'm also probably not gonna buy Rifts, because 1) I don't like Palladium that much and 2) I've not heard great things about it.))

shadzar
2009-06-06, 10:52 PM
:smallfrown: Can't much help you if you don't want Palladium as a choice because of bad thing, there.

Warhammer 40k, while not really a publisher of RPGs products, has some mecha style minis in the Tau line of products. Yes you must assemble and paint them, but some people have made the Crisis Suit model into things along the lines of Robotech vehicles, Fei's mech Weltall from Xenogears (note xenoGEARS, not xenoSAGA), and even one person has made a hechetoncles(sp) unit as seen in AppleSeed.

If nothing else the mini could be used with an RPG for a PC or special character where the size fits and/or mechs are allowed.

sonofzeal
2009-06-06, 10:58 PM
I highly recommend Paranoia (Mongoose Publishing). It's quite possibly the most entertaining rules book I've ever seen, and every game I've ever played of it has been highly entertaining. It's also an excellent training ground for roleplaying, as failure to roleplay is insubordination and may be treason.

Mr.Bookworm
2009-06-06, 11:45 PM
I was halfway through thinking up a post about donating money to publishers when I realized you just wanted to buy a new book.

The main question is, obviously, what do you have?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-06-07, 12:05 AM
There are three companies that I like giving lots of money to: Green Ronin, White Wolf and Eden Studios. However, seeing how Green Ronin doesn't have Mecha & Manga out yet, we're going to focus on the latter two.
Mecha & Manga, eh? Perhaps you'd like to try a little game we call Bliss Stage. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlissStage)

It's cheap ($13!) (http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/search.php?mode=search&page=1), simple to learn and intensely fun to play - particularly if you enjoy Mecha (double if you liked NGE :smallbiggrin:). Best of all, because it is a cooperative storytelling game, DMing for it is dead simple - I've been in games where the DM came in cold, spent 30 minutes on character creation with us, and just went with it.

I didn't make the game, but I am working on a Fantasy-setting adaptation named Chrysalis. [/shameless plug]

Friv
2009-06-07, 12:15 AM
Speaking purely from the Changeling/Exalted front, which happens to be the two games that I play consistently...

Exalted-wise, RoGD II is a very good book, as are most of the Compasses. RoGD will be very nice if you have demon-summoners around, but it's not strictly necessary if you aren't running a demonic-focused game. Similarly, the Malfeas Compass and Underworld Compass are brilliant, but not going to be relevant to most games. Compasses are kind of funny that way - I've loved every one, but I'm not going to use much material from them in my actual games, because my players don't really traipse around the entire planet.

On the Changeling front - do you have any books, or are you looking at the game as a whole? I'm a big fan of Changeling, but it's a pretty hefty difference from Exalted - it's closer to Call of Cthulu in that there are a lot of nasty things that you are not going to have a great time taking out, and some of them are personally interested in you. Still, it's a roaring good time in the sense that it is built on fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm variety.

If you have the Changeling core and are looking for sourcebooks, I would say it depends on your needs. Autumn Nightmares and Winter Masques are the best two. The former expands antagonists to a great degree, and the latter introduces lots and lots of options for your characters, which players always like. After that, it depends on your goals. Rites of Springs lets you play with the game's rules, and has more character options. Lords of Summer helps a lot if you have trouble figuring out how the society works. Dancers at Dusk expands the antagonists and areas again, pulling in the Hedge, dreams, and Fate as major areas of play, and Swords at Dawn isn't actually out yet and thus isn't a valid purchasing choice. ;)