PDA

View Full Version : 666 prophecies

Realms of Chaos
2009-06-06, 11:47 PM
well, we are approaching the (possibly mistranslated) number of the beast in terms of comic numbers, the good old 666.

That said, what do you think will happen in this beast of a comic strip. I see four possibilities.

1. The snarl somehow possesses xykon (possibly through his phylactery), instigating an evil ascension to power that dwarves V's recent ascension.
2. The snarl (or a small bit of it) breaks loose or otherwise makes its presence known.
3. A plan of the three demon/devil/daemons' is put into motion by events in the material plane.
4. Though it would be the third time it has happened, we may get another strip that makes fun of how we expected something far bigger for this strip.

Personally, I think 1 or 2 is most likely. I really doubt that number 4 would be pulled on us again.

Trizap
2009-06-06, 11:49 PM
well, we are approaching the (possibly mistranslated) number of the beast in terms of comic numbers, the good old 666.

That said, what do you think will happen in this beast of a comic strip. I see four possibilities.

1. The grarl (or whatever it was that is hidden beyond the flying rift) somehow possesses xykon (possibly through his phylactery), instigating an evil ascension to power that dwarves V's recent ascension.
2. The grarl (or a small bit of it) breaks loose or otherwise makes its presence known.
3. A plan of the three demon/devil/daemons' is put into motion by events in the material plane.
4. Though it would be the third time it has happened, we may get another strip that makes fun of how we expected something far bigger for this strip.

Personally, I think 1 or 2 is most likely. I really doubt that number 4 would be pulled on us again.

then the fourth possibility is exactly what will happen.

Faleldir
2009-06-06, 11:51 PM
If you guess it, Rich will change it out of spite. Why do you think he hasn't revealed Elan's last name?

Cleverdan22
2009-06-06, 11:53 PM
If you guess it, Rich will change it out of spite. Why do you think he hasn't revealed Elan's last name?

Because it wasn't necessary/possible plot point later?

I honestly think he'll do neither with it. Maybe have something in the title, but continue the comic on schedule.

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-06, 11:57 PM
Blackwing 's eyes turn purple again, and he reveals that he is now the high preist of the Holey brotherhood, and the snarl WILL be free! cawcawcawcaw caaaaw caaw!

FoE
2009-06-07, 12:01 AM
The Grarl? Is that related to the Snarl somehow? Is the Grarl the Mexican equivalent of the Snarl?

spargel
2009-06-07, 12:02 AM
5. Belkar dies
6. V dies
7. Xykon dies
8. O-Chul dies

Ridureyu
2009-06-07, 12:15 AM
We learn once and for all that D&D is really Satanic.

Azukar
2009-06-07, 12:17 AM
The Grarl? Is that related to the Snarl somehow? Is the Grarl the Mexican equivalent of the Snarl?

I was wondering the self-same thing.

FoE
2009-06-07, 12:17 AM
We learn once and for all that D&D is really Satanic.

Bulls**t. I've been playing this game all my life and I've yet to receive my book of witch's spells. Dammit, I was promised unlimited power!

factotum
2009-06-07, 01:26 AM
You forgot possibility #5:

5) Absolutely nothing of any note happens in strip 666, not to foil our expectations, but because nothing special was ever INTENDED to happen in strip 666. After all, 666 is mainly a bad number in "real world" Christianity, there's no reason why it should mean anything at all in the world of OotS.

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-07, 01:29 AM
Bulls**t. I've been playing this game all my life and I've yet to receive my book of witch's spells. Dammit, I was promised unlimited power!

Unlimited power? <p.q> I just got a coupon for the local Dairy Queen. And I still haven't gotten my application to lease my soul back. Probably rejected again I imagine <x.x>;

Haven
2009-06-07, 02:24 AM

5) Absolutely nothing of any note happens in strip 666, not to foil our expectations, but because nothing special was ever INTENDED to happen in strip 666. After all, 666 is mainly a bad number in "real world" Christianity, there's no reason why it should mean anything at all in the world of OotS.

Yeah! Just like American Idol! Or Final Fantasy! Or the Sopranos! Or any other cultural reference the giant makes.

Really, though, the thing is that this strip is being read by people in the real world, so therefore real world references have meaning.

Anyway, my money is on the 8-Bit Theater approach: a label that "it's just another comic, calm down." Heck, maybe it'll be the comic Roy gets resurrected in for extra irony.

(Incidentally, I assume "the Grarl" is the girl version of the Snarl. Snarl-tan!)

FoE
2009-06-07, 02:32 AM
(Incidentally, I assume "the Grarl" is the girl version of the Snarl. Snarl-tan!)

With a little bow on one of its appendages?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-06-07, 02:34 AM
Spontaneous metal interlude (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=666) :smallbiggrin:

Cizak
2009-06-07, 02:37 AM
What is The Grarl? :smallconfused:

FoE
2009-06-07, 02:47 AM
What is The Grarl? :smallconfused:

The Grarl is a female Snarl, spontaneously created by the gods writing contrasting shipping fics.

Haven
2009-06-07, 02:59 AM
With a little bow on one of its appendages?

!!!

Yes.

Mystic Muse
2009-06-07, 03:44 AM
nothing. I agree that Rich won't do "nothing." but him making it purposely Satanic I don't think is his style. it'd be funny if he either did A skipped it entirely or B wrote "I didn't want to write anything for the 666th so I decided to go straight to 667

Oracle_Hunter
2009-06-07, 03:50 AM
The Grarl is a female Snarl, spontaneously created by the gods writing contrasting shipping fics.

. . .

How Evil :xykon:

Rhydeble
2009-06-07, 05:02 AM
A great storm unfolds above the island where the azure fleet currently is. Slowly the party starts hearing the rolling sounds of thunder. Then suddenly, a ray of lightning the likes of which have NEVER been seen strikes Elan. Seeing her falling boyfriend, Haley jumps towards Elan and catches his body before it hits the ground.

Summoned by the thunderstorm, the IFCC spawns on the material plane trough untold prophecy's. Their evil plan starts unfolding and pure evil starts enfolding the world. Durkon, Celia, a newly resurrected Roy, Hinjo and Lien prepare for their last stand, while a crying Haley is still holding the scorched body of Elan. Belkar is laughing, for it was he that summoned that storm.
The pit fiends easily strike down our valiant heroes, and all hope is lost.

But at that moment, Haley hears a whispering voice,"Do not worry my love, for the power of the Dragonflame burns in my heart." Slowly standing up, while holding a crying Haley close to his muscular chest, Elan grabs his transformed ELECTRICAL lute, and starts playing the best song in the world. Needless to say, the beasts where stunned, Whip-crack went their rugged tails, and the beasts were done.
They asked him, be you Solar?
And he said nay, I am but bard ROCK.

VariaVespasa
2009-06-07, 07:13 AM
If we're talking about 666 as the mark of the beast then the most obvious thing would be the revelation of the MitD really, or at least a major move by it.

Allan Surgite
2009-06-07, 07:16 AM
Spontaneous metal interlude (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=666) :smallbiggrin:
Damn you, I was going to do that. Kudos.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-06-07, 07:27 AM

I wonder if such fics are better or worse then those of the mortal races...

Realms of Chaos
2009-06-07, 09:25 AM
I forgot that the snarl was called the snarl and was far too lazy (and sleepy) to look through the comic for the right name. :smallredface:

Sorry, no female snarls (besides, who would want them to breed?). Also no mexican snarls (unless you enjoy using photoshop).

Spoomeister
2009-06-07, 09:37 AM
Y'know, since this is all plot speculation to a certain degree, we should be spoiler-tagging some of this. (Hi, Rich!)

nothing. I agree that Rich won't do "nothing." but him making it purposely Satanic I don't think is his style. it'd be funny if he either did A skipped it entirely or B wrote "I didn't want to write anything for the 666th so I decided to go straight to 667

Came here just to post that. If we could take bets, I'm betting he skips it entirely, with no comment in either the comic or the forums. Kind of like how no hotel has a 13th floor.

Dixieboy
2009-06-07, 09:47 AM
Damn, i was already making a female and mexican snarl D:

Well now i dun wanna :smallyuk:

I'll go with "Nothing happens, whatsoever"

theinsulabot
2009-06-07, 09:50 AM
i bet he just does a gag on us and does like 665 2, electric bugaloo. then jumps straight to 667

Torquinette
2009-06-07, 10:12 AM
I'm thinking filler. Or one of those "fanmail answering" things.

I just had the mental image of V throwing the doily into the Snarl. You know, for kicks.

Duxus
2009-06-07, 10:23 AM
8. O-Chul dies
O'Chul can't die! It's impossible, don't you know that; everybody knows that.

Slimslamer
2009-06-07, 10:30 AM
O'Chul can't die! It's impossible, don't you know that; everybody knows that.

This is correct, the better statment would have been, 'O-chul becomes temporarilly inconvenienced'.

Spiryt
2009-06-07, 10:30 AM
Is just another comic, calm down. (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2006/02/25/episode-666-is-just-another-comic-calm-down/)

Azura
2009-06-07, 11:43 AM
I wonder if such fics are better or worse then those of the mortal races...

Both. They're like ours, but with strengths and flaws magnified. More beautiful and terrible than anything we can imagine. :smalltongue:

theinsulabot
2009-06-07, 11:46 AM
This is correct, the better statment would have been, 'O-chul becomes temporarilly inconvenienced'.

or he stoically endures months of hellish torture and emerges out the other side exactly the same iron willed bad ass he walked in.

oh wait, we did that one already, didnt we?

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-07, 11:49 AM
The IFCC will say something about the silliness of the number 666.

Ganurath
2009-06-07, 11:51 AM
I predict that we will run out of meta possibilities to predict, so statistically someone will be right if the Giant goes meta. If something does happen in-comic, it will either involve Xykon inflicting needless suffering or a different named character facing an unexpected sort of suffering.

hamishspence
2009-06-07, 12:17 PM
Closest thing to a direct association between 666 and D&D is the number of layers of the Abyss- traditionally described as 666. Actual number may be more, or less, but this is the number in "D&D lore"

Zanaril
2009-06-07, 12:53 PM
If something does happen in-comic, it will either involve Xykon inflicting needless suffering or a different named character facing an unexpected sort of suffering.
That's basically just the same as every other comic with Xykon in it.

multilis
2009-06-07, 12:56 PM
Why did V get unlimited power when K asked imp first and more often?

Ganurath
2009-06-07, 12:58 PM
That's basically just the same as every other comic with Xykon in it.I dunno, he did give Roy fair warning with Three Factors.

David Argall
2009-06-07, 02:03 PM

The prime possibility is that it will be just another comic. 100, 400, 500, & 600 should be enough proof that our writer just does not pay much attention to strip numbers.

Almaseti
2009-06-07, 02:17 PM
I'm thinking either MitD comes out, the fiends do something, or somebody dies (most likely either V or O-Chul. Although O-Chul would just spontaneously resurrect himself through sheer force of awesome if it was him).

Alternately, this could be the chapter things look up for the good guys, and someone comments on the irony of that.

Dalenthas
2009-06-07, 02:19 PM
Just because it's staggeringly probably but hasn't been guessed yet: Roy will be raised. C'mon, you expect him to drag the V-Xykon fight out for 7 more strips?

Nimrod's Son
2009-06-07, 02:24 PM
It'll be a two-pager. V will finally say the four words in the first page and the second page will be a huge feature-length animated gif of V using his powers to utterly tear the fabric of space and time irreparably apart, all rendered in jaw-dropping, high-definition 3D.

Because that's the only thing that'll be awesome enough, apparently.

Altaria87
2009-06-07, 02:36 PM
I predict that Ninja Rabbits will take over Xykon's tower in the 666th strip

Hitorijun
2009-06-07, 03:01 PM
Come on guys it's gunna be something completely different. Why all the bad stuff, people dying, bad guys showing up, MitD revealed. If you ask me it's going to be the opposite. If it 666 or the anti-Christ # then the comic just might be the anti-anti-Christ. For instance, Roy comes back from the dead, or they take back the city. Something along those lines.

Or everyone sits around playing checkers waiting for Durkon to finish his spell.

Haven
2009-06-07, 03:20 PM
Closest thing to a direct association between 666 and D&D is the number of layers of the Abyss- traditionally described as 666. Actual number may be more, or less, but this is the number in "D&D lore"

Ooh, I forgot about that! I feel like a bad Planescape fanboy now.

Anyway, if that piece of lore comes up (and considering we've got fiends from each of the lower planes around, it's likely), it would be awesome.

Just because it's staggeringly probably but hasn't been guessed yet: Roy will be raised. C'mon, you expect him to drag the V-Xykon fight out for 7 more strips?

Heck, maybe it'll be the comic Roy gets resurrected in for extra irony.

:smallconfused:

Zanaril
2009-06-07, 03:27 PM
It'll be a two-pager. V will finally say the four words in the first page and the second page will be a huge feature-length animated gif of V using his powers to utterly tear the fabric of space and time irreparably apart, all rendered in jaw-dropping, high-definition 3D.

Because that's the only thing that'll be awesome enough, apparently.

Argh! Don't tease me like that!

Gamerlord
2009-06-07, 05:08 PM
Either A: Rich Burlew insults us and nothing happens with another #100 joke

OR the cool version B:

The demons make their move, unleashing a massive horde of demons ,daemons, and devils, at the same time the snarl is accidentally unleashed, at the same time the OOTS teleports to azure city to help V, Xykon is transformed to a hideous combo of demon and undead, with Blackwing being transformed into a fiendish Roc. Soon the linear guild returns the azure city, having learned the OOTS is there. In just a mere 5 minutes the snarl is transported by its own sheer willpower into the gods lands, killing every single god in just 5 minutes. The moment Thor dies Durkon's spells fizzle out and he is overwhelmed by a horde of hobgoblins, and they kill him. Soon V is ripped In two by the snarl, and Belkar dies after killing Tsukkio, drained by her wights and then slain by Hinjo, who has just arrived with a army of azurites to retake azure city. In just 30 seconds everyone in the linear guild is killed by the snarl. Roy and Redcloak make a deal, with the goblins finally granted rights to not be massacred. Redcloak starts attempting to seal the snarl, but the snarl attemps to cut him down, In the end, roy, xykon, and blackwing all are destroyed when the snarl is sealed, all every main chareter who is alive (haley and elan, celia, redcloak, and hinjo) all live happily ever after, with some of the gods managing to restore themselves( Thor, Loki, all the twelve gods, and the Dark One) and Banjo officially becomes a Main God. The daemons and their allies are all destroyed. THE END!!!
Then OOTS II begins!

of course A has a 99.99% of happening and B has a 0.000000001% chance
of happening.

Red XIV
2009-06-07, 05:43 PM
The prime possibility is that it will be just another comic. 100, 400, 500, & 600 should be enough proof that our writer just does not pay much attention to strip numbers.
Two of those were significant (though by no means the most significant of their story arcs), and the other two were Rich doing a joke about their lack of significance. Not the best examples to prove that he doesn't pay attention to strip numbers.

Given that 666 is not an "anniversary" strip, there's a good chance that he won't even put in a joke about lack of significance, but it's probably as good a place as any to bring the current book to a close.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-06-07, 08:13 PM
Maybe he'll just skip over the strip entirely and go straight from 665 to 667. And then either the plot has a major change and the only explanation is the missing strip, (:smalltongue:)or nothing's happened. (:smallsigh:)

Morgan Wick
2009-06-08, 08:45 PM
Anyway, my money is on the 8-Bit Theater approach: a label that "it's just another comic, calm down." Heck, maybe it'll be the comic Roy gets resurrected in for extra irony.

Is just another comic, calm down. (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2006/02/25/episode-666-is-just-another-comic-calm-down/)

I wouldn't put it past Rich to have a title like "No, I'm Not Going That Route" or "No Beast References Here" or something like that.

Or maybe the only explicit reference to 666 will be in the title (X of the Beast), which will also refer to the comic events somehow. Spoilered because this sounds like exactly the sort of thing Rich would do: (I could see "Number of the Stick" refer to the reunion with V and/or Celia deciding to stick with the OOTS for a while.)

mikeejimbo
2009-06-08, 08:52 PM
They defeat Xykon and wrap up all the loose ends, and the comic ends happily ever after.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-08, 08:55 PM
MitD turns out to be Orcus?

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-06-08, 09:18 PM
They defeat Xykon and wrap up all the loose ends, and the comic ends happily ever after.

In six comics? :smallconfused:

Onyavar
2009-06-16, 04:02 AM
Sorry for necro this thread (man, it's one week old and was on page 4! The amount of threads is INSANE!), but the only other recent 666-Thread I found was closed for good reason.

So my prediction of comic strip 666 is
The return of popcorn and soda, who fail to stop PIZZAS EVIL ASCENSION !!!!11eleven (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html)
Since the giant won't do this, I hope that at least I'm the first to have this prediction...

Maybe he'll just skip over the strip entirely and go straight from 665 to 667. And then either the plot has a major change and the only explanation is the missing strip, (:smalltongue:)or nothing's happened. (:smallsigh:)

A pretty good idea.

Thajocoth
2009-06-16, 04:15 AM

1. The snarl somehow possesses xykon (possibly through his phylactery), instigating an evil ascension to power that dwarves V's recent ascension.
2. The snarl (or a small bit of it) breaks loose or otherwise makes its presence known.

The thread is titled 666 prophecies. I only count 4. Where are the other 662 prophecies? I want my money back!

-----

Mine is that nothing at all happens. Not even a single text bubble mentions it. Maybe something in the title, at most. I believe others have stated the same.

Kazuma
2009-06-16, 04:43 AM
Well, my money is also on Roy's ressurection, not only because of the tripple six alone. Also, Roy was declared dead in 444 and he would have been dead for 222 strips then. Come to think of it, the main protagonist of this story has been dead for almost one third of the whole plot this far. You don't see that quite often.

SohumB
2009-06-16, 11:43 PM
I want it to be a strip focusing on the MitD.

Since this arc seems to be dying down, we've had so far Team Evil's wrap-up, and are partway through OOTS' and the Azurites' wrap-up. 666 would be a nice place to have a MitD wrap-up.

SPoD
2009-06-17, 12:32 AM

This. This is what will happen, because Rich doesn't make comments on real world religion in the comic (and 666 has no special meaning outside of Christianity).

Followed by hundreds of, "Oh man! Rich really pulled one over on us forum posters!" or "Rich probably read our comments and changed it." Because the collective narcissism of the forums will not be denied.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-06-17, 12:40 AM
This. This is what will happen, because Rich doesn't make comments on real world religion in the comic (and 666 has no special meaning outside of Christianity).

Followed by hundreds of, "Oh man! Rich really pulled one over on us forum posters!" or "Rich probably read our comments and changed it." Because the collective narcissism of the forums will not be denied.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

And this, more then anything, exactly that right there, is why I read the forums constantly. Why I spend every second of my free time pitifully looking up O-Chul threads. Why I skim V's gender opinions on my lunch break.

To get that "oh my god I'm smarter than them" buzz.

Haven
2009-06-17, 01:12 AM
To the above poster--might want to consider a little humility. There's even a handy little "memento mori" right in your screen name, there.

This is what will happen, because Rich doesn't make comments on real world religion in the comic (and 666 has no special meaning outside of Christianity).

Actually, as hamishspence so kindly reminded us, it does have a special meaning in D&D--the number of layers of the Abyss, which might be relevant given that the fiends are in play here.

Besides which, all the pantheons are drawn from real world religions.

Concluding this, I'm pretty sure most of the posts in this thread weren't being serious, no need to insult your fellow posters. :p

Kazuma
2009-06-17, 06:07 AM
Actually, as hamishspence so kindly reminded us, it does have a special meaning in D&D--the number of layers of the Abyss, which might be relevant given that the fiends are in play here.

And don't forget the 666 pages application, the fiends make you fill out, mentioned here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0631.html)

Bastian
2009-06-17, 06:36 AM

Deny.

Deny.

Deny!
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html
/sings

Deny the narcissistic forumites!

Sovjohn
2009-06-17, 07:02 AM
My guess? And it'd be kinda cool, too.

Strip 666:

IFCC and other demonic creatures proclaim it's the Lower Planes Celebration Day, and somebody tours (some of) the Lower Planes to readers complete with party hats, snacks, and associated party equipment. The interlude then ends :p

Red XIV
2009-06-17, 11:13 AM
Not entirely true. The idea of 666 being an "evil" number certainly originates within Christianity, but it's migrated into popular culture. Even people who are unfamiliar with the actual religious meaning behind the "Number of the Beast" are likely to know that the number is 666 (even though that might not actually be the historically correct number).

foxtrotpenguin
2009-06-17, 11:19 AM
:smallmad:This thread dissapoints. I was expecting 666 bits of wisdom about the future. What I see here is speculation about a trivial number that will be revealed very soon.

Wikimaster
2009-06-17, 11:26 AM

Which fandom? Avatar, Naruto, or Harry Potter?

Random832
2009-06-17, 11:45 AM
Which fandom? Avatar, Naruto, or Harry Potter?

Yes.

(:smallfurious: size minimum doesn't let me make a proper witty response)

Wikimaster
2009-06-17, 01:40 PM
Maybe it's a crossover! And they flamed each other in addition to writing fanfics!

The Blackbird
2009-06-17, 01:59 PM
...I would laugh if Roy came back in strip 666.

Bibliomancer
2009-06-17, 02:00 PM
Oh, dispassionate mainly-non-personified-universe no, anything but that.

Wikimaster
2009-06-17, 02:03 PM
You don't want Roy to come back? Or were you replying to my post?

Thajocoth
2009-06-17, 02:37 PM
The real question is... Will this thread have 666 prophecies by the time comic 666 is put up?

Optimystik
2009-06-17, 02:42 PM
The real question is... Will this thread have 666 prophecies by the time comic 666 is put up?

We're on post #75 so... signs point to no.

fangthane
2009-06-17, 02:58 PM
I predict that nothing particularly special will happen - it might get a mention, but it does seem a little over the line of 'discussion of real-world religion' so I suspect Rich will studiously ignore it, at least in direct terms.

I'd like to see another intermission, myself. Been a while since we had one, and you have to figure that by now Popcorn and Soda might have found a new third party member (perhaps Peanuts? Chips? Ju-Jubes?) while presumably the "new crew" has replaced nachos with, oh, I dunno, Chicken Nuggets maybe.

@wiki - I'm assuming Bibliomancer's referring to the fanfic thing.

@haven - Strictly speaking, there are only a couple of names from Real World religion in the 'standard D&D' pantheon (the one to which the Oracle adheres), those being Bahamut and Tiamat. The rest were made up by TSR/Wizards - though the other sets were indeed drawn from our world (probably because it was a lot easier than creating similar groups). Also, having read the Manual of the Planes the other day to do some campaign development, it indicates the notion that there are 666 levels in the Abyss is not necessarily accurate. The text indicates that there are at least that many, and potentially more. I'd also mention that the OGL's Product Identity note specifically mentions that the full and trademarked name for the Abyss indicates that it has "Infinite layers" - granted, it doesn't specify whether there are an infinite number vs each layer being (potentially) infinite itself, but there you go. Their legal text, not mine. :)

Wikimaster
2009-06-17, 03:01 PM
Ahh, I see.

EDIT: Oh, and here's a prophecy: One of you will achieve world domination through bunnies someday. I'm not naming him.

Roland St. Jude
2009-06-17, 03:21 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Religious discussion is inappropriate on this Forum -that includes the religious meaning of 666 - even when it intersects a comics or gaming topic.