PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Themed Super-Hero (3.5)

Alleine
2009-06-07, 01:13 AM
First off, has anyone ever tried to play a 'superhero' kind of character in 3.5? Normally my group just sort of establishes the "We're adventurers, being awesome and saving your sorry peasant butts is what we do" and the the peasants are fine with this because we aren't the only adventurers. Someone who acts superior due to their abilities would probably be viewed as mentally unstable because magic is commonplace.

So after perusing the MiC and realizing there are a lot of items in it that follow general themes such as lighting, I decided I want to make a character who thinks they are a superhero. The only problem is the costume! After going through the MiC with a fine toothed comb, it turns out that all the lightning items are 3 glove slots, 2 shirt slots, and 3 ring slots. The costume is somewhat... lacking.

I'm looking for suggestions of what to wear and where to wear it. Sure, I could deck out *insert cheesy lightning affiliated name* in spandex with lightning bolts printed into the middle of everything, but I'd like to have all of his clothing be useful as well, and preferably not have to use the rules in the DMG to do it myself, but I'll resort to making my own items if I have to.

The character in question will most likely be a Psion, since psionics offers the easiest access to a lot of electricity based power.

What other books offer lightning/thunder themed magic items for me to use?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-07, 01:15 AM
Hat of Disguise.

quick_comment
2009-06-07, 01:17 AM
There is a lightning version of fireshield around somewhere. You can use that to get an aura of lightning.

An item of stormrage would also be thematically appropriate.

Eloel
2009-06-07, 01:21 AM
Use the class The Lightning Warrior
Here's a link to it.
http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-868384.html
[/sarcasm]

BobVosh
2009-06-07, 01:21 AM
Here I was expecting a inFamous reference.

Well, anyway, you can always make various magic items using the DMG's chart. (at work, or I would put in the SRD one)

Basically make a low level lighting spell at will, and a couple of the beefier ones as 1-3x a day. But your pants MUST be a "blinding flash" enchantment. To activate you do a pelvic thrust and grab your crotch. Or possibly "DANGER! High Voltage!"

Emy
2009-06-07, 01:27 AM
Use the class The Lightning Warrior
Here's a link to it.
http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-868384.html
[/sarcasm]

Ugh.

What a poor class. It definitely trades power for flavor.

Eloel
2009-06-07, 01:28 AM
But but but, it's missing the familiar!

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-07, 01:32 AM
Hehe, well I don't have much advice on lightning themed super-heroes; but a friend of mine did have a Superhero monk (complete with a cape... the cape just happened to be how she flew.)

I seem to recall laser vision too, but I can't recall how that was achieved >.> (It was a comedy campaign; long long story.)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-07, 01:38 AM
The Stormlord prestige class in Complete Divine gives any spear or javelin you use the Shock weapon property, then later adds the Thundering property, and finally upgrades Shock to Shocking Burst. Get a set of Gloves of Endless Javelins and throw lightning bolts. Focus on strength and use the feat Brutal Throw in Complete Adventurer. Go Cleric 5/ Stormlord 9/ Contemplative 6, and get Divine Metamagic: Persistent to use with the spell Stormrage (SC).

As for other items, maybe get an intelligent magic item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm) (or an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm)) with a special purpose and dedicated power. The obvious choice for a dedicated power would be the at-will 10d6 Lightning Bolt, which the item itself spends an action to activate so it doesn't take any effort on your part.

Alleine
2009-06-07, 01:49 AM
@Pharaohs Fist: Hat of Disguise I would prefer as a last ditch sort of attempt. I'd rather have what is essentially a real super-suit that compliments his powers and can be used to show off to commoners.

@BobVosh: I'd prefer to keep the custom items to a minimum.

Oh jeez, I remember seeing the Lightning warrior before. *facepalm*
On the other hand, it was funny to read the comments.

@Biffoniacus_Furiou: How well does cleric work out with electricity spells though? The only time I've played cleric was when I was a dedicated healbot and most of what I used was anti-undead spells. I'd really like a character that can be using electricity as often as possible. That is why I was thinking Psion.
That is a really interesting build. Any special reason for contemplative?

Hat-Trick
2009-06-07, 01:51 AM
Boots are open, so take Boots of Flying. Get goggle of some sort, I suggest Eagle for spot. Spot is always good.

arguskos
2009-06-07, 02:05 AM
Alleine, try playing a Sorcerer with Energy Substitution (electricity), Spell Thematics (lightning), and Born of the Three Thunders. It makes all your spells look like lightning, all your damage spells deal electricity, and you can concentrate (applying metamagic to a spell takes a full round; fluff as tapping into your "inner thunder") to make all your elec spells deal half sonic and sound like a thunderclap (oh, and stun people).

Call yourself Bolt of Truth. Wear lots of spandex. Get some Gloves of Shocking Grasp, a Belt of Storm Shield (spell in the Spell Compendium), and a Cape of Flying, and go to town.

Actually, I might play Bolt of Truth. He seems pretty fun. You can even play him at low levels. Use Thunderstones alot. Tie them to bolts and shoot them at people. Wear gloves that you sow thunderstones into and run up and punch the bad guys, yelling "THUNDERCLAP!". :smallbiggrin:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-07, 02:07 AM
Sorcerer

Shocking Grasp

Seeking Ray

Scintillating Sphere or Lightening Bolt

Lightening Leap

Etc, etc

T.G. Oskar
2009-06-07, 05:19 AM
While I can't seem to find the proper flavor to make a super-heroic character in 3.5 (I like my Quantum as it is, thank you!), I can aid you on your plea.

Mostly, it depends on how you wish to play it. Is it a psionic-based character such as Professor X/Jean Grey? A superhero based on race (Superman/Martian Manhunter)? The more magical type (Dr. Strange/Zatanna)? Or just a really awesome superhuman being with powers (most of the X-Men, essentially)? Heck, even a Magitek-based superhero can make it work (sorta like Iron Man)

If it's case A, then get all energy spells and refluff them towards electricity. A race-based superhero would attempt to get templates that grant storm-based powers (Half-Elemental would come to mind, but it's pretty weak; the Mechanatrix race is lightning-theme fluff incarnate). Case C would be a sorcerer with lightning based powers, plus a bit more. Can't help on the really awesome superhuman unless you were to use another set of rules (or just use Incarnum and lightning-themed soulmelds).

For the "scientifically" inclined, Wands, Eternal Wands and Scrolls can aid you with the power theme (for Shocking Grasp and Lesser Orb of Electricity, for example). Warforged have the Shocking Slam feat, which while a bit of a double-edged sword it's perfect for your needs (in case you wish to become one)

Also, how much Int and Wis does the character intend to have? You can justify some other spells out there (Heat Metal comes to mind, and if you stretch it really well, Telekinesis works perfectly when used with metallic objects; a simple ball lightning giving radiance justifies a Light spell, and so on) Sonic energy (and thunder, actually) is also a given.

Also, don't ignore alchemical items because of their eventual weakness: they serve as perfect thematic flavor you can even invent. Alchemist's Shock, Thunderstone and Shock Alchemical Capsules are great for adding that little bit of oomph to your lightning desires.

For extra fun, go Fighter 20 with all those magic items. Whenever someone asks you what you are, you proudly tell them you're a Super-Hero.

For a final thought: if someone was crazy enough to allow it, I'd go fully with a human Fighter/Crusader||Warblade/Swordsage/Master of Nine with levels in Superhuman, mastering Two-Weapon Fighting while in heavy armor. Now that's my kind of a superhero. Though, I'd be emphatic to make it a d20 Modern campaign :P

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-07, 05:36 AM
@Biffoniacus_Furiou: How well does cleric work out with electricity spells though? The only time I've played cleric was when I was a dedicated healbot and most of what I used was anti-undead spells. I'd really like a character that can be using electricity as often as possible. That is why I was thinking Psion.

Start with the Storm and Windstorm domains in Spell Compendium, and use the PH2 Spontaneous Domain Casting variant for Windstorm. If you start out lower than level 5 you won't get many electricity effects, but you'll have Call Lightning and then Arc of Lightning. Focus your feats on throwing javelins, at level 7 every one you throw will have the Shock special property. With Gloves of Endless Javelins you'll be throwing +1 Shock javelins made of force, in which case they could simply appear as lightning bolts. You can use Summon Monster IV-IX to get Storm Elementals from MM3. At level 15 you can cast Stormrage with Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell to make it last 24 hours. Contemplative is mostly there as filler, you don't really want to take more Cleric levels but you don't want to miss out on spellcasting. Contemplative doesn't have any feat prerequisites and in six levels it grants two more domains along with a few other useful abilities.

This build works best in the mid to late levels. When other characters would run out of spells or powerpoints this one just keeps throwing lightning bolt shaped javelins. At level 15 you can cast Stormrage, possibly with Divine Metamagic: Persistent to make it last all day. That spell alone outdoes any other lightning-based spellcaster or manifester.

Maybe instead of that, go with a Wilder and take a few levels in Electrokineticist (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e), a variant of the Pyrokineticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm) adapted to use electricity instead of fire. The Energy Lash ability you get at level 1 will create a whip of electricity that you can strike with as a ranged touch attack. Take Point-Blank Shot and you'll get +1 to all of your attack and damage rolls with it. Any feat that can be used with a normal whip will work with it, including Power Attack, and it can be used two-handed. The lash's base weapon damage would be electricity damage, so any bonus damage you get such as from a high Strength score or from Power Attack will be added as additional electricity damage. There's no limit to how many lashes you can create or to how long one lasts, so you won't need to worry about running out of lightning.

PrGo
2009-06-07, 06:46 AM
Pyrokineticist variant, the Electrokineticist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) :smalltongue: It is a bit underpowered unless you entered with a Psi Warrior, which could be powerful.
It is very flavourful for a fully-lightning-based character and could be awesome for a such super hero.

Flickerdart
2009-06-07, 09:51 AM
The problem with the variants is the qualification...a Pyrokineticist has to burn down a building for fun. First of all, that's obviously a villain. Second, how do you electricity a building to the ground? Build a huge metal pole on top and wait for a lightning storm?

For that matter, how do any of the other ones work?

Xallace
2009-06-07, 09:54 AM
For that matter, how do any of the other ones work?

Well, with sonic you could vibrate a building apart. Acid you could probably melt it little by little. Cold you could make it all brittle and smash it, and with electricity you could.... you could... you...

Make a house out of living Water Buffalo and fry them?

Deth Muncher
2009-06-07, 10:09 AM
Well, with sonic you could vibrate a building apart.

Nikola Tesla supports your views.

Asheram
2009-06-07, 10:10 AM
It's not any of the slots you want, but a psyochoactive skin makes a great hero costume.

Jair Barik
2009-06-07, 10:48 AM
Got to have boots of speed or boots of springing and striding. Lightning=fast no?

hand of glory so you can get all 3 rings perhaps?

Rod of storms or whatever its called (not clothing but still its themed)?
A blinding shield maybe?

quick_comment
2009-06-07, 10:49 AM
You could ask for the psychoactive skin of fiery retort to be changed to electrical retort. Then you have a costume that looks superheroish and is charged with lightning. You get to transform from your secret identity into your superhero identity with a command word.

togapika
2009-06-07, 11:53 AM
Or just use the skin that's like full plate armor and flavor it to look like a costume...

quick_comment
2009-06-07, 11:56 AM
Or just use the skin that's like full plate armor and flavor it to look like a costume...

Plate armor doesnt let you transform like a superhero though.

Xallace
2009-06-07, 12:11 PM
Nikola Tesla supports your views.

Darn right he does! And the police hated him for it.

By the way, OP, our of curiosity what were you planning on calling your superheroic identity?

Jack_Simth
2009-06-07, 12:11 PM
@Pharaohs Fist: Hat of Disguise I would prefer as a last ditch sort of attempt. I'd rather have what is essentially a real super-suit that compliments his powers and can be used to show off to commoners.

@BobVosh: I'd prefer to keep the custom items to a minimum.

Oh jeez, I remember seeing the Lightning warrior before. *facepalm*
On the other hand, it was funny to read the comments.

Well, it shouldn't be too bad to change the Skin of Fiery Response (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofFieryResponse) to an electrical version (especially considering the base power permits electricity).

If you're playing a more traditional caster, you might pick up the Storm Bolt (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Storm_Bolt,all) reserve feat (small lightning bolt at will, so long as you keep an electricity spell prepared).

If you're using a clerical base, you might also try the Domain Spontaneity (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Domain_Spontaneity,all) feat, especially if you end up with the Weather or Storm domains.

togapika
2009-06-07, 12:13 PM
Plate armor doesnt let you transform like a superhero though.

Sure it does. Just buy some cheap clothing you can rip off when you transform, or just wear normal clothing and have the skin appear over your clothing.

Deth Muncher
2009-06-07, 01:03 PM
If you're playing a more traditional caster, you might pick up the Storm Bolt (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Storm_Bolt,all) reserve feat (small lightning bolt at will, so long as you keep an electricity spell prepared).

I've always wondered. Say you took the lowest level spell of a given category, and took the Metamagic Feat Highten Spell. Does this qualify you for the reserve feat tied to it?

RTGoodman
2009-06-07, 01:32 PM
I don't know why no one has mentioned it, but our very own Giant has a class on this very site that sounds perfect for your - The Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html). Don't know how powerful it is, but it's certainly very superhero-inspired. (Just change the divinely-inspired fluff.)

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-07, 01:35 PM
I've always wondered. Say you took the lowest level spell of a given category, and took the Metamagic Feat Highten Spell. Does this qualify you for the reserve feat tied to it?

It lets you qualify for the modification. For storm bolt: A Heightened Lightning Bolt will count as an Electricity Spell of level X and subsequently the reserve feat will deal Xd6 in damage.

woodenbandman
2009-06-07, 01:37 PM
Skin of the Hero is cool.

I for one really like the Stormlord idea.

Jack_Simth
2009-06-07, 01:40 PM
Exactly as written?
If you spontaneously cast spells, no. If you prepare spells, yes.

The reason? The Reserve Feat Header in Complete Mage requires a spontaneous caster to know the spell and have a free spell slot of that level, while a prepared caster is required to have a spell of that level prepared. For a spontaneous caster, Heighten Spell doesn't give you the spell of that type at that level as a known spell. For a prepared caster, it lets you prepare a spell of that level that fits the bill. The same applies to the various energy substitution feats.

Now, Arcane Preparation can turn a Sorcerer into a prepared caster, and that'll help (potentially).

Eloel
2009-06-07, 01:58 PM
It lets you qualify for the modification. For storm bolt: A Heightened Lightning Bolt will count as an Electricity Spell of level X and subsequently the reserve feat will deal Xd6 in damage.

What happens if you're a sorcerer? Do you get HighestLevelSpelld6 damage?

Alleine
2009-06-07, 02:02 PM
I was thinking of Electrokineticist, but the lack of manifesting progression bugs me. I'd rather not essentially be a caster and then give it up for some shiny but ultimately less powerful abilities. Although I suppose I could give it a try with a psychic warrior, which would involve giving up what meager casting they do have.

Psychoactive skin is brilliant, it would be perfect. For a sort of

I'll probably be sticking with Psion, since it is more along the flavor of 'mysteriously granted powers' whereas a cleric claiming to be a superhero is just kinda weird. Even with the ability to worship ideas for spells.

The only other real possibility is Sorcerer, using the feats arguskos mentioned. And I TOTALLY forgot about spell thematics. Great fluff feat right there.

However psionics has the option of taking elemental envoy... so I could have a sidekick! Unfortunately I don't have names for the character, his superhero identity, or his possible sidekick identity.

arguskos
2009-06-07, 02:10 PM
The only other real possibility is Sorcerer, using the feats arguskos mentioned. And I TOTALLY forgot about spell thematics. Great fluff feat right there.

However psionics has the option of taking elemental envoy... so I could have a sidekick! Unfortunately I don't have names for the character, his superhero identity, or his possible sidekick identity.
Well... if you want to go down the "sidekick" road, you can always play a Sorcerer, take Improved Familiar, and get a Lightning Quasi-Elemental. It would require some digging/work to make one, but they do exist. You could call him Sparky. :smallwink:

I still like Bolt of Justice or Bolt of Truth for the hero name. :smallsmile:

Alleine
2009-06-07, 02:18 PM
Well... if you want to go down the "sidekick" road, you can always play a Sorcerer, take Improved Familiar, and get a Lightning Quasi-Elemental. It would require some digging/work to make one, but they do exist. You could call him Sparky. :smallwink:

I still like Bolt of Justice or Bolt of Truth for the hero name. :smallsmile:

Hahaha, that's true. I'm not aware of all the creatures you can have as improved familiars so I hadn't even thought about it.

Bolt of Justice would be more likely. I plan on playing him as insane, which is mostly why he's acting like a superhero. His brand of justice just won't quite be Lawful justice. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2009-06-07, 02:26 PM
Hahaha, that's true. I'm not aware of all the creatures you can have as improved familiars so I hadn't even thought about it.

Bolt of Justice would be more likely. I plan on playing him as insane, which is mostly why he's acting like a superhero. His brand of justice just won't quite be Lawful justice. :smalltongue:
You can get small elementals as Imp. Familiars. Lightning Quasi-Elementals were never updated for 3.5 to my knowledge, though they were in AD&D. There may be a faithful fan update, or you might just have to make your own (not hard, mostly copy the fire elemental stats, change their damage to electricity, and give them some minor, yet awesome, special ability themed to lightning, like stun on a hit or something). :smallwink:

Oh, and if he's THAT kind if hero, then he really needs a Glove of Shocking Grasp, so he can backhand baddies and yell "THUNDERCLAP!" It makes me laugh. :smallwink:

Gadora
2009-06-07, 02:41 PM
When you looked through the Magic Item Compendium, did you look at the magic item sets in chapter five? There are three lightning themed items and a thunder item in that chapter. There is an entire storm themed set if you want to change your focus a little.

The Arms and Equipment guide has a few weapons and a ring to add to the mix.

If you are able to do grafts, you could take Metabolic Fire from Races of the Dragon. Despite the name, you could gain a electricity breath weapon from it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-07, 02:41 PM
You could go something like Wilder 5/ Electrokineticist 1/ Slayer 10, or use Anarchic Initiate though you'd need to get Knowledge: Planes as a class skill.

Alleine
2009-06-07, 02:43 PM
You can get small elementals as Imp. Familiars. Lightning Quasi-Elementals were never updated for 3.5 to my knowledge, though they were in AD&D. There may be a faithful fan update, or you might just have to make your own (not hard, mostly copy the fire elemental stats, change their damage to electricity, and give them some minor, yet awesome, special ability themed to lightning, like stun on a hit or something). :smallwink:

Oh, and if he's THAT kind if hero, then he really needs a Glove of Shocking Grasp, so he can backhand baddies and yell "THUNDERCLAP!" It makes me laugh. :smallwink:

I'll definitely need a glove of that! He's definitely going to be a cheesy over-the-top sort of guy who will most likely get in trouble with the law due to extremely reckless behavior.

I'm pretty sure I could get away with making my own quasi-elemental. Especially since my group usually ignores familiars. It will be a nice change to have one hanging around.

@^^ No, I didn't even look past clothing. Thanks for mentioning that though. Metabolic fire had crossed my mind.

@^ Where is slayer from?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-07, 02:55 PM
Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) is the vanilla SRD version of Illithid Slayer, because Mind Flayers are proprietary. It's actually a better class because of it.

Asheram
2009-06-07, 04:24 PM
But you're playing a psion.. don't you get an alternative to a psi-crystal by some funny looking little elemental thingie.

Edit: There we go! Elemental Stewards. Tempestan. From Complete Psionic.

arguskos
2009-06-07, 05:19 PM
I'll definitely need a glove of that! He's definitely going to be a cheesy over-the-top sort of guy who will most likely get in trouble with the law due to extremely reckless behavior.

I'm pretty sure I could get away with making my own quasi-elemental. Especially since my group usually ignores familiars. It will be a nice change to have one hanging around.
I think Bolt of Justice has some promise here. Be human for the bonus feat, multiclass out of sorcerer ASAP, I think there is some electricity themed class in some source book somewhere. Use Imp. Familiar for the quasi-elemental. Ask your DM if you can get Spell Thematics as a bonus feat (it has almost no mechanical benefit and is just a fluff piece, many DMs will permit it for free).

I see this guy going far. :smallbiggrin:

T.G. Oskar
2009-06-07, 05:42 PM
Lightning Quasi-Elementals were never updated for 3.5 to my knowledge, though they were in AD&D.

Well, there are Lightning Para-elementals, and they run the whole gamut.

A bit of ToB can be useful. Iron Heart self-buff maneuvers give a bit of the super-hero feel (Iron Heart Surge, Iron Heart Endurance); if you're into Legacy Items, the Kamate longsword is a nice choice (granted, if you WISH to use Legacy items and longswords)

Also, +1 to the psychoactive skin idea.

arguskos
2009-06-07, 05:55 PM
Well, there are Lightning Para-elementals, and they run the whole gamut.
The Para elementals were only Ice, Smoke, Ooze, and Magma, unless the actually made all the others, though I don't know where they are from. Do you have a source for a 3.5 Lightning Elemental?

T.G. Oskar
2009-06-07, 06:03 PM
I could swear there was a Lightning Para-elemental.

But, MM3 has a Storm Elemental from Small to Elder. Pretty much the same you're asking. They can be summoned through Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally as usual, even to the point of their special abilities (shock, thunder and lightning)

Alleine
2009-06-07, 06:11 PM
But you're playing a psion.. don't you get an alternative to a psi-crystal by some funny looking little elemental thingie.

Edit: There we go! Elemental Stewards. Tempestan. From Complete Psionic.

Its either that or Sorcerer. Those are my two choices, and because I can have a sidekick for the Sorc that I didn't realize I could have before through improved familiar, it becomes a much more awesome choice. Sorc is looking even better because of Spell Thematics, which is basically a feat that says "Choose a theme, this what all of your spells now look like". Psionics has plenty of energy themes, but with Spell Thematics I can make literally everything look like lightning.

Storm Elementals look pretty good.