PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hogtie help

Malacode
2009-06-07, 05:27 AM
I'm after a little help with a Justicar (CW, pg 47) build for an optimisation challenge. A friend of mine and I are taking on two other friends in a 10 round slug-fest to see how long our underpowered, bog-standard characters can survive against their optimized Gestalt, double WBL gladiators. This thread isn't about building the character, that's pretty much set. It's more about making Hogtie a useful ability.

I'm after an item that has a really high break DC (Or better yet, is unbreakable) yet can still be used as rope. At the moment, Adamantine Spiked Chain is all I can think of, with it's break DC of 65 (IIRC), but that's most likely beatable by a 20th level Gestalt character. Getting it "Magically Treated" bumps that to 85 or so, but is a +1 enchantment enough to count for this bonus?
Another problem is boosting Use Rope/Grapple checks. Any help with either of these two things would be greatly appreciated, along with any other general advice about Grappling, Hogtie and the like.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-07, 05:31 AM
You are doomed.

Ha ha... no seriously.

You are doomed.

Malacode
2009-06-07, 05:55 AM
Yeah, we know. The current bet is two rounds before we go down, at most. It's fine if we lose, in fact, it's better if we do (They'll be really annoyed if my op Mage and underpowered grappler take out their lovingly crafted characters, but they've got a chance against the grappler :smalltongue: )
Still, question stands.

Eldariel
2009-06-07, 06:03 AM
Yeah, we know. The current bet is two rounds before we go down, at most. Still, question stands

+1 should be magical, for what it's worth. Also, if you survive two rounds, I'm going to be extremely surprised. You could both acquire a Scarab of Invulnerability [Magic Item Compendium] though to ignore all damage for 1 round!

Malacode
2009-06-07, 07:03 AM
Heh, we aren't allowed to damage one another in the first round. Running around and starting of status effects is fine, but no direct damage. That's why we'll die in round 2.

quick_comment
2009-06-07, 10:26 AM
Well, you could always get an item of sequester or rope trick to make sure you survive....

I made a justicar for an arena once. I think I used hardened adamantium antimagic shackles as my weapon, and just bought hardened adamantium cable to hogtie people with.

Malacode
2009-06-07, 10:28 AM
Antimagic shackles? Where are -they- from?

quick_comment
2009-06-07, 10:29 AM
Antimagic shackles? Where are -they- from?

Book of Exalted Deeds. (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/items.php?ID=2552)

Malacode
2009-06-07, 10:37 AM
Ooh, niiice. I think I'll have to take them. Thanks

quick_comment
2009-06-07, 10:46 AM
If you optimize for fighting inside an AMF, you can then buy several contingent AMFs, on the following conditions:

1) Activate when I am in a grapple
2) Activate when 1) has activated but is no longer on
3) Activate when a level 7 or higher spell is targeted upon me (requires spellcraft to activate)

This way, as soon as you grapple someone, they are AMFed, and if that AMF vanishes, another one instantly comes up. And once you shackle them, they are basically helpless, since they need to break the hardened adamantium without the aid of magic items.

I would also get an item of dimension slide, or some teleportation effect to stop the inevitable forcecage.