PDA

View Full Version : Fear ItP

Anuan
2009-06-07, 08:50 AM
So, I uh...recently accidently derailed the You picture thread with this topic. Sorry bout that, guys :smallfrown:
ANYWAY
The time has come for you to rise and bring forth your greatest fears to the playground! In picture format, preferably, and if possible what you're doing/what you'd like to do to get rid of it. Or stories involving them, or whatever.

Mine?
http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/shark_kayak.jpg
I am -deathly- afraid of sharks, most specifically the Great White. I'm also a hydrophobe, so generally being anywhere where a shark could be is scary even if they arent there.

Now, I used to be a SEVERE hydrophobe. How'd I combat this? I went to the pool, swum to the bottom of the deep end and sat down there and wouldnt let myself rise until my lungs were bursting. Repeat for six months.
I can now actually go near bodies of water without shuddering. Rain still makes me feel weird though, and once my now-ex girlfriend took me to a water-park and into a wave-pool. I had a panic-attack and blacked out facedown in the water.
As far as sharks go, I've never actually had an experience with them, but I've read up on them as much as possible. I don't hate them, in fact I'm fascinated by them, but they still scare the living hell out of me.

Your turn.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-07, 08:54 AM
My main fear is:
http://gadgetsteria.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/disappointment.jpg
Yep, disappointment, well, more disappointing others than my own disappointment.

My other main fear:
http://pangea.stanford.edu/courses/GES41L/motivation/failure.gif
I can not actually tolerate myself failing, earlier in my life I have actually cried due to having failed at something (especially something academic). This has been reinforced by some jerks I've known for 8 years, who whenever I don't quite get that mark I'm meant to get, they rub it in, until I'm upset. And they always get away with it, even if I tell the teacher, they just get a warning.

Emperor Ing
2009-06-07, 08:55 AM
This may be hard to believe, but I have an irrational fear of stinging insects. :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2009-06-07, 08:55 AM
I am deathly afraid of:
1. Wasps
2. Being Judged Negatively
3. Being Unloved
4. Being Arrogant.

darkblust
2009-06-07, 08:58 AM
Anyway,i'm scared of crusty ketchup.You know when your having a hotdog or something,and you put ketchup on it,and some of it stays on the cap or lid or what,and then you have another hotdog acouple weeks later,and you have to open the lid with the crusty ketchup on it?It creeps me out.

I have puked beacause of it before,and I always gag.Srry for not getting an picture,I don't know how to post them:smallfrown:

Ashen Lilies
2009-06-07, 09:03 AM
http://dansemacabre.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/grim_reaper.jpg

Self explanatory pic is self explanatory. More mundane fears and phobias latorz.

Anuan
2009-06-07, 09:06 AM
Darkblust; you post a link to a picture in between 'IMG' and '/IMG' but with the inverted commas turned into square-brackets; [].

Also, Moar Pictcharz.

Dihan
2009-06-07, 09:07 AM
Anyway,i'm scared of crusty ketchup.You know when your having a hotdog or something,and you put ketchup on it,and some of it stays on the cap or lid or what,and then you have another hotdog acouple weeks later,and you have to open the lid with the crusty ketchup on it?It creeps me out.

I have puked beacause of it before,and I always gag.Srry for not getting an picture,I don't know how to post them:smallfrown:

Eww. I'm exactly the same. Anything that has congealed makes me gag.

My fears are too numerous to post pictures, but I basically fear...

1) Anything with more than four legs
2) Anything with more than two legs that scratches or barks
3) Some things with two legs
4) Anything with wings
5) Anything that stings
6) Anything a lot bigger than me
7) Anything a lot smaller than me
8) Anything with no legs
9) And clowns

Basically anything that can harm me in any way.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-07, 09:10 AM
Eww. I'm exactly the same. Anything that has congealed makes me gag.

My fears are too numerous to post pictures, but I basically fear...

1) Anything with more than four legs
2) Anything with more than two legs that scratches or barks
3) Some things with two legs
4) Anything with wings
5) Anything that stings
6) Anything a lot bigger than me
7) Anything a lot smaller than me
8) Anything with no legs
9) And clowns

Basically anything that can harm me in any way.

You do realise that your list encompasses pretty much everything on the planet right?

Arcane Copycat
2009-06-07, 09:12 AM
I have a fear of rapidly ascending. Being high-up doesn't bother me, neither does falling off of things, but when I'm on an plane an it starts taking off...

Helanna
2009-06-07, 09:12 AM
Spiders. No, I won't go look up a picture.

You know what the most annoying part of being afraid of spiders is? (Well, besides the fact that they're absolutely everywhere). It's that whenever you tell anyone, the reaction you get, if you're not talking to another arachnophobe, is almost invariably "But why? Spiders are so harmless, they actually help us. You shouldn't be afraid of them."

Wait, really? You mean I didn't have to panic and almost pass out when I found one on me? You mean I never have to throw myself backwards as an instinctive move whenever I see one close to me? Well damn, I'll tell myself to stop doing stuff like that! How can I ever repay you for telling me that I don't have to be afraid of spiders? I'll stop right away!

:smallannoyed:

Athaniar
2009-06-07, 09:14 AM
My main fear is spiders, as well. They're just so scary, with the legs and the webs and the general creepiness... *shudder*

I'm not as afraid of the big, hairy spiders as I am of the small, creepy ones, though. And the spider's close relative the scorpion I just find cool.

Other fears: heights, darkness, death, rapidly moving objects with the potential to hurt me, the decline of civilization as a cause of bad grammar, the cancellation my favorite TV channels, OOTS ending, and practically anything that can negatively affect me in an at least somewhat significant way

Anuan
2009-06-07, 09:20 AM

You know what the most annoying part of being afraid of spiders is? (Well, besides the fact that they're absolutely everywhere). It's that whenever you tell anyone, the reaction you get, if you're not talking to another arachnophobe, is almost invariably "But why? Spiders are so harmless, they actually help us. You shouldn't be afraid of them."

Wait, really? You mean I didn't have to panic and almost pass out when I found one on me? You mean I never have to throw myself backwards as an instinctive move whenever I see one close to me? Well damn, I'll tell myself to stop doing stuff like that! How can I ever repay you for telling me that I don't have to be afraid of spiders? I'll stop right away!

Having a far stranger phobia than you, I sympathise. Also, I take pride in the fact I've -never- said that to anybody scared of spiders. To tell the truth, most spiders creep me out a little bit. Not enough for panic, but enough to want to avoid them.
How do you think I feel? Most common question people ask me when talking about phobis is 'do you shower?'

Fredthefighter
2009-06-07, 09:21 AM

To me, the fear of spiders is perfectly rational, after all, who wouldn't be afraid of something that captures its prey with stuff from its backside, then turns the insides of said prey into goo and sucks the "goo" out.
They're just plain creepy and the fact that they can climb everywhere doesn't help either.

Dihan
2009-06-07, 09:29 AM
You do realise that your list encompasses pretty much everything on the planet right?

That was the entire point. I'm such a wimp.

Headless_Ninja
2009-06-07, 09:30 AM
Cockroaches. *Shudder*

Dogmantra
2009-06-07, 09:32 AM
Oh, I forgot number 5: Rugby, specifically, the fear of having someone tread on my face whilst I'm on the floor. I got my tooth knocked out playing it too, but luckily, I don't have to play it ever again!

mercurymaline
2009-06-07, 09:55 AM
I looked for a forum appropriate pic of my phobia, and nearly threw up. Even cartoon depictions are too much. I have issues.

I'm coprophobic. Look it up. Or, y'know, don't.

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-07, 09:55 AM
Yes, this is a much better spot for this.

My two main fears/dis reposted from the 'You' thread:

http://www.hairboutique.com/images/LauraPeppon_250h.jpg
{Beautiful Redheads}
and

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zJUIA9uDKxI/Rn-lhjrovfI/AAAAAAAAErw/C319NG0cgbg/s400/nva+graveyard.jpg
{Being Left Alone By Death}
I'm not afraid to die, but I'm fearful of being left behind by those I love.

I suppose fear is much too strong a word for the first. More of a suspicion and strong discomfort, with a heavy "SHIELDS UP!" emotional reaction.

Also I've got a very powerful distaste for:
http://www.jeffooi.com/2007Q3/MARCEAU_marcel_UN.jpg
{Frickin' mimes. A mime stole my grapes when I was a little boy and I've never forgiven that loathsome sub culture.}
But again, that really provokes my "hit it hit it hit it until it stops moving!!!" instinct rather than "flight".

I used to be afraid of failure, but I've failed far too often to be paralyzed by that one anymore. :smallsigh:

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 09:56 AM
Death. :smallfrown:

Recaiden
2009-06-07, 09:56 AM
I've got two:
http://lh4.google.com/fisherwy/R8BQd2qotAI/AAAAAAAANgY/8S6LEaYpTvw/B-2%20Spirit%20stealth%20bomber%20dropping%20Mk.82%2 0bombs%5B3%5Dhttp://hauntedcavern.com/images/Claustrophobia.jpg

Yeah, I'm scared of military aircraft and closed spaces. Just, not being able to move around...:smalleek:

And a picture of a spider, since no one put one up
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/primary/black-widow-spider.jpg

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-07, 09:59 AM
I've got two:
Yeah, I'm scared of military aircraft and closed spaces. Just, not being able to move around...:smalleek:

Did you have a tragic incident where you were stuck in a bomb bay as a child? :smallconfused:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-07, 10:02 AM
I looked for a forum appropriate pic of my phobia, and nearly threw up. Even cartoon depictions are too much. I have issues.

I'm coprophobic. Look it up. Or, y'know, don't.

You're, afraid of.... that? Are you afraid of it being thrown at you or something? :smallconfused:

Anuan
2009-06-07, 10:02 AM
Spiders in that family are really the epitome of arachnid creepiness. The disproportionate sizes and needly appendages, etc.

mercurymaline
2009-06-07, 10:04 AM
You're, afraid of.... that? Are you afraid of it being thrown at you or something? :smallconfused:

Can't look at it, hear about it, think about it...it's horrible. If someone, say, shows me a horrible internet video, I'm a wreck for days.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-07, 10:05 AM
Can't look at it, hear about it, think about it...it's horrible.

But it's a natural part of life. Most living beings (including you) get rid of it naturally on a regular basis. I can understand that it's disgusting but at least it's natural.

Recaiden
2009-06-07, 10:07 AM
Did you have a tragic incident where you were stuck in a bomb bay as a child? :smallconfused:

The two are unrelated. I think. Or maybe they're both expressions of my fear of being helpless.:smallwink:

mercurymaline
2009-06-07, 10:08 AM
But it's a natural part of life. Most living beings (including you) get rid of it naturally on a regular basis. I can understand that it's disgusting but at least it's natural.

Liquid protein diet, friendo.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-07, 10:08 AM
Liquid protein diet, friendo.

Ah, very well then, that's your choice.

Studoku
2009-06-07, 10:09 AM
Heights or more specifically, anything that I can fall off. If it's high enough to cause an injury and doesn't have a chest high safety rail, I am very reluctant to go near it.

I'm also mildly pyrophobic. Small fires or flames don't bother me but even the idea of a room on fire can cause me to panic.

I also know someone who's afraid of balloons.

Spiryt
2009-06-07, 10:18 AM
I can understand that it's disgusting but at least it's natural.

So are dissapointment and failure, so I don't think you can really judge others fears like that.

V'icternus
2009-06-07, 12:59 PM
*Takes a breath*

I'm afraid of spiders and snakes and large bodies of water and insects and sharks and reptiles and anything scaly and crows and magpies and heights and those creepy things from "The Village" and the Creeper from "Jeepers Creepers" and flying in small planes and anything that lives in water and diseases and busy roads and humiliation and sometimes trees.

Yeah, I think that's it...

If I've forgotten anything, I'll be back.

Dihan
2009-06-07, 01:01 PM
*Takes a breath*

I'm afraid of spiders and snakes and large bodies of water and insects and sharks and reptiles and anything scaly and crows and magpies and heights and those creepy things from "The Village" and the Creeper from "Jeepers Creepers" and flying in small planes and anything that lives in water and diseases and busy roads and humiliation and sometimes trees.

Yeah, I think that's it...

If I've forgotten anything, I'll be back.

You're really living in the wrong place...

Fredthefighter
2009-06-07, 01:05 PM
So are dissapointment and failure, so I don't think you can really judge others fears like that.

Yes, but I'm not used to failure. This may sound like I'm bragging, but academically, I've never even come close to failure. I'm a C grade student at my very worst. At my best, I'm an A* (top grade) student.

arguskos
2009-06-07, 01:31 PM
I have one phobia:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z47/panic_its_me93/needles.jpg
I don't fear needles actively, but should you bring them to my presence, I will freak out and try anything to get away. Last time I went to the doctor's office and got a shot, my dad had to pin me to the wall so I didn't run screaming. :smallmad:

If I was to say I had a single fear though, it wouldn't be the above. It'd probably be:
http://scottthong.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/loneliness.jpg
I cannot stand the thought of having no one in this world who's there for me when I'm hurt or down or need help. If I ever fall that far, I'd rather stop living.

Headless_Ninja
2009-06-07, 02:05 PM
Oh, the other thing: neurological illness. Specifically, something like Alzheimer's where I would lose my memories, my anchors to reality, my sense of self. Kind of an extension of a fear of death, I suppose. It's one of the major motivations for my wanting to be a neuroscientist (along with the whole BRAINS ARE COOL! thing).

Crimmy
2009-06-07, 02:43 PM

Okay, here goes, and I hope this doesn't sound as bad as I imagine...

I got rid of my Arachnophobiae by doing the single most terrifying thing I could think of:

Getting at least two tarantulas in me. Seriously.
Now, I don't know if it'll work for anybody, but it was wonders for me.

Then again, if you feel like you don't want to try it, then so be it, nobody has to push you around to do something you don't want to, I did it because I decided I wanted to get rid of the phobia.

My other phobia?:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v223/gmarco/drowning.jpg

Neko Toast
2009-06-07, 03:03 PM
One word. Bees.

Anything that buzzes loudly and can sting you is considered a 'bee' in my book.

Recaiden
2009-06-07, 03:12 PM
Crimmy, you do mean eating them, right?:smalleek:

Crimmy
2009-06-07, 03:50 PM
Nah, just them walking around my body.
A friend of mine has a Tarantula Farm.

He got his two biggest, or Alphas, or whatever you wanna call 'em, and
then he handed them to me. Since I asked him to give them to me for
medical procedures of fear dispatchment, he decided NOT to tell me those were the biggest.

golentan
2009-06-07, 03:51 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_woU5s2fwbZo/Sb9r7mbGWNI/AAAAAAAA9xs/wQDzHliuV3E/s400/jedimindtricks.2f8cjhsav8ysk08owgo0ocggc.ap2qhjyqp 08cgc0c80ss4cco4.th.jpeg

Best picture I could find. I am deathly afraid of people being in my mind. Of them knowing my thoughts, or influencing my decisions, or removing my free will.

I don't think it will happen again, and I am very, very glad of that; but still terrified I might be wrong. Never give up your free will if you can avoid it.

TheBST
2009-06-07, 04:47 PM
Losing my teeth. It's turned me into a hopeless dental paranoid.

Ego Slayer
2009-06-07, 05:20 PM
Grubs/maggots. Omfg. Seriously, seeing those makes me feel kinda sick.

Death, of course. Sudden death. Car accidents, being shot... Not that I want to know beforehand that I'm going to die, but the idea of dying without being able to say bye or without some people knowing what happened to me (reasonable, considering how many friends I have online/live really far away).

And the dark, I guess. Just 'cos you can't see and there might be a rabid animal or an axe murderer lurking around? :smallconfused:

LXH
2009-06-07, 05:35 PM
:roach: Roaches. The big ones that live in the southern US that fly after you (sometimes referred to as palmetto bugs). I used to live near the Everglades and our house was completely infested with the things. If you went into the bottom level of our house at night and flicked the lights on, you'd see a sea of black on the walls undulating away from the light. Ever since then, I can barely manage to move around the things, sometimes not enough to try and kill them from a distance. :roach:

Heights. Fairly common. Not much more to say about that.

Animate dolls. Like Chucky. I've had nightmares my whole life about that horrible little bastard hiding under my bed or chasing me around the house. I can't have any type of large doll around me without feeling like it's going to spring to life at any moment and slice open the backs of my knees. :smalleek:

Spiryt
2009-06-07, 07:46 PM
And the dark, I guess. Just 'cos you can't see and there might be a rabid animal or an axe murderer lurking around? :smallconfused:

Yeah, darkness is funny like that.

Everyone in the house is sleeping and I shut the light after I made myself something to drink. And in one moment your brain imagines red eyes somewhere under the stairs... From no apparent reason.

Fostire
2009-06-07, 10:21 PM
I'm scared of roaches and spiders, but only when they're alive and moving. If they're dead I can grab them with my bare hands but if they're moving... :smalleek:

I'm also terrified of being robbed. Last year two guys with a knife tried to mug me. I got away because I was close to my house (which makes it even scarier) and I managed to run inside. After that I didn't leave my house for three months out of fear.

Ashen Lilies
2009-06-07, 10:54 PM
Yes, but I'm not used to failure. This may sound like I'm bragging, but academically, I've never even come close to failure. I'm a C grade student at my very worst. At my best, I'm an A* (top grade) student.

Phobias aren't logical or rational at all. That's the point. See Death Dragon's post on the first page.

My other phobia?:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v223/gmarco/drowning.jpg

You fear error messages? :smallconfused:

The_JJ
2009-06-07, 11:19 PM
I can get pretty bad around heights, specifically halfway through heights. WTF, it was like 8 feet half a second ago, now it's like infinity. Okay, just breath, move that foot there, that foot there and... wow. It's tiny. Why was I worried again?

Apart from that... I've got/had a few bad social phobias about the acceptance of my peers, but that just makes me angry, so I go ahead and so whatever anyway. But I must say freshman year of high school was a bit of a bitch for the first few months.

I, of course, am utterly convinced that any phobia is just like mine and can be overcome by powering through it mentally. :smallwink:

That said, once I took the first step out, it got exponantially easier.

My sister's got a thing about spiders too. This has nothing to do with the 'Japanese jumping ninja spider being chased by Father with broom' incident during our childhood. :smallbiggrin:

rogueboy
2009-06-08, 02:02 AM
I don't fear needles actively, but should you bring them to my presence, I will freak out and try anything to get away. Last time I went to the doctor's office and got a shot, my dad had to pin me to the wall so I didn't run screaming. :smallmad:

I also have a phobia of needles, but it gets more specific than that for me... they have to be medical needles. Acupuncture, injections of any kind, and so on. However, I am a chemistry student, and transfer materials using needles almost every day (usually using 3-6 different needles for a reaction, sometimes 2-3 at a single time), and am not bothered by that in the slightest. Not quite sure how that works, but so be it. My needle phobia is bad enough that I've passed out from a vaccination, as well as when my dad got stitches (he was in better shape to drive home than I was, despite the stitches being between his eyes...)

good needle:
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/5428810/2/istockphoto_5428810-test-tube-and-needle.jpg
bad needle:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PLsyqhMySRk/RnHeR3Er6PI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/5jrvzkcYmVY/s400/needle%2Beye%2Bsmall.JPG
*shudder*... that image makes my skin crawl

If I was to say I had a single fear though, it wouldn't be the above. It'd probably be:
http://scottthong.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/loneliness.jpg
I cannot stand the thought of having no one in this world who's there for me when I'm hurt or down or need help. If I ever fall that far, I'd rather stop living.

I'm not going to get into the more intangible/universal fears (loneliness, death, loss of loved ones, etc) - I think (or at least I tell myself, and this thread seems to support) that most people have those fears... it's just a matter of doing things to distract yourself from those fears that keeps us going. What that involves is obviously different for each person, but I know that for me, at least, RPGs (and specifically homebrewing worlds, feats, houserules, etc) provide the needed distraction from those intangible fears, at least most of the time.

Boo
2009-06-08, 02:14 AM

Self explanatory pic is self explanatory. More mundane fears and phobias latorz.

Yes, Rabbit creeps me out too.

Ashen Lilies
2009-06-08, 02:33 AM
Mmm.. Yeah. Though to be honest, Reinholdt has started to creep me out more. But Necrophiliamancy is, always has been, and always will be, wrong. No offense. :smalltongue:

Fear: People. Seriously. There's roughly 6 billion of them on this earth, and they Freak. Me. Out. And I'm one of them... ._.

Matticus
2009-06-08, 03:25 AM
I have a few fears...Drowning (I'm a weak swimmer).
The dark (when I'm alone).
Knives (I cannot handle blades, I slash myself too often).
Rapid movement.
Strangers.

And when I was younger, I was really afraid of dogs...I got over it when I realized they'd never bite me, but I'm still a bit afraid. I just mostly remind myself that I can stare down almost any mutt if I have to.

Eldan
2009-06-08, 03:45 AM
Aaah. Fears. Well...

So far, I haven't found any groups of animals I'm affraid of. That might be a plus.
However, my fear of height is so terrible, it's ridiculous. Standing on a chair? Ain't gonna happen. Climbing a ladder? Very slowly, trembling and eyes closed. A steep flight of stairs? Horrible.
Other things I'm affraid of but can work with: Fire, moving at high speed (bicycle, skiing, front seat in a car), knives, and basically anything that has even a remote potential to end in a painful accident.

Khanderas
2009-06-08, 05:08 AM
There is almost nothing I fear that I would call a phobia. I mean I problebly would panic alittle if I got stuck in an underground pipe so narrow my shoulders prevent moving in any direction while water is rising... but that is not something I have to activly avoid. Normal underground i is just fine.
And I guess spiders if its the hairy kind and bigger then my palm. Got a colony of smaller nonhary brown spiders in my basement. They are nice although I dont know how they can survive on whatever stray fly enters there. Pick em up and scare people sometimes, as they are about a half a grown mans fist in size, legs included.

I may get some anxiety when I need to do something. Like procastrination times 10. Such as I need to shop for food. Can put it off for days and I'm eating scraps in the fridge and takeout pizza. Those times I have to force myself out the door. But if I have no mission to do that MUST be done, I don't even notice a problem leaving. Prolly less a fear and more an OCD though, based from a period of phear-of-people-phobia I got past.

rubakhin
2009-06-08, 05:19 AM
This is so dumb, but I'm afraid of knees. I dislocated one of my kneecaps like every six months when I was younger. This stopped when I was fifteen or so, for whatever reason. Now I still feel really uncomfortable wearing anything that might reveal my knees (which is just fine because I am Muslim and we're not supposed to) and I get weirded out sometimes looking at people in shorts. And I literally can't even look at anybody skiing or snowboarding, since when I was younger some idiot decided I should ski and I was convinced I would break my fool legs. Just makes me nauseated.

It's less of a fear and more of an awareness, but I don't think I have any real phobias ... *thinks about it* When I was younger I was terrified that people could read my mind. This is supposedly a symptom of schizophrenia.

Khanderas
2009-06-08, 06:01 AM
I, of course, am utterly convinced that any phobia is just like mine and can be overcome by powering through it mentally. :smallwink:

That said, once I took the first step out, it got exponantially easier.
I certainly agree. I firmly belive all phobias can be overcome, severe cases with hypnosis (infact a coworkers sister just now on this lunchbreak mentoned her sister cured hers with hypnotherapy vs spiders) and other tricks, but anyone can self medicate by exposure.

(Exposure being, dont like spiders, look at a cartoon spider until its boring, then a picture of a spider until it stop being scary, then a movie, then a small spider behind a glass finally poke it until you find yourself cured enough to dare to walk outdoors again)

Easy for me to say yes. But why should it be harder ? Why should a grown human being hide from an insect / spider that is too small to even try to harm you, nevermind the fact that it problebly cant even see you, since it is so small, small brains etc and specialised vs other bugs. Most likly it cant tell the difference between a human and a plank. I dont usually see spiders trying to bite planks.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-06-08, 06:13 AM
bad needle:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PLsyqhMySRk/RnHeR3Er6PI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/5jrvzkcYmVY/s400/needle%2Beye%2Bsmall.JPG

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
*ahem*
If that wasn't enough indication, eye injuries. Possibly related to the fact that ~70% of objects impacting my face have hit my eye instead of anywhere else.

Nevrmore
2009-06-08, 06:49 AM
My number one fear:

http://i43.tinypic.com/szwodz.png
Nedroid understands me so well. (www.nedroid.com)

rankrath
2009-06-08, 09:40 AM
bad needle:

Thanks. Now I won't be able to sleep tonight. Eye Injuries/sharp things in eyes tend to freak me out, which is weird because I wear contacts with little problem.

As for other phobias, I have a fear of swimming where I can't see the bottom, and that's about it.

V'icternus
2009-06-08, 01:46 PM
Well, I've thought up some new ones.

Sharp objects, hospitals, needles, heavy machinery, blenders, ice-crushers, loosing any of my senses, failure, my internet connection being irreparably damaged, the Lethal Weapon ride at Movie World on the Gold Coast, body parts, darkness, deep holes, my various secrets being revealed, finding something that my brother is continuously better than me at, celebreties, and girls. (Laugh and you die.)

And I think that's everything I fear...

Well, everything I fear for me, anyway.

Emperor Ing
2009-06-08, 03:34 PM
I never really understood the fear of Clowns. Clowns never made me anything but :smallsmile:

AetherFox
2009-06-08, 06:42 PM
I never really understood the fear of Clowns. Clowns never made me anything but :smallsmile:

http://www.timboucher.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/clown-sewer-untouchable.jpg

'nuff said.

Fostire
2009-06-08, 08:22 PM
Phobias aren't logical or rational at all. That's the point. See Death Dragon's post on the first page.

Another example of an illogical phobia: a friend of mine is afraid of olives.

Zocelot
2009-06-08, 08:46 PM
"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started, and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad." - Jack Handy

In terms of my fears, I don't know. I'm extremely confident/arrogant, so I don't have any irrational fears and my only rational fear is velociraptors.

darkblust
2009-06-08, 08:52 PM
Thankyou azuan,if hat is your real username,but I found out how to on the comics thread.

This is kinda self explanetory,i hope.
http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu248/darkblust/Tomato-Ketchup.jpg

Nageto004
2009-06-08, 09:10 PM
I am afraid of Nuclear explotions and Bruce Campbell and heights and having an asthma attack

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9496/bombash.jpg:smalleek:

thubby
2009-06-08, 09:16 PM
clowns were originally meant to scare off evil spirits iirc. they weren't designed to be funny.

anyhow, i'm arachnophobic, but only when they're actually near me. some cruel twist of fate makes them very interesting, but keeps me away from them.

I have a general fear of losing my mind or the ability to communicate.

i also have waking dreams on rare occasion, and when i do I'll usually be skittish around whatever was part of the dream for the rest of the day.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-08, 09:20 PM
Thankyou azuan,if hat is your real username,but I found out how to on the comics thread.

This is kinda self explanetory,i hope.
http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu248/darkblust/Tomato-Ketchup.jpg

Honey? I don't....get it

Alteran
2009-06-08, 09:27 PM
Ketchup, it seems.

Stormthorn
2009-06-08, 09:31 PM
These guys.
http://www.breakitdownblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/spider-hell.jpg

And also death. Most people dont like the idea of death, it really freaks me out. Oblivion. The end.
The Last Unicorn-
panicked:"I can feel this body dying all around me"

That line freaks me out.

RS14
2009-06-08, 09:57 PM
These guys.

Adorable! :smallsmile:

Really, spiderlings are cute and harmless. They generally don't have large enough chelicerae to even break skin.

Not for the arachnophobes:

I was, however, somewhat alarmed when I found a fairly large spider (Unidentified, but possibly Tetragnatha or small Nephila sp.) on my beard after a recent bike-ride. I don't much like to be surprised by spiders.

I suppose I mostly fear public humiliation.

I am also sometimes uncomfortable around great heights, but mostly when I'm standing still looking out over the drop. I hiked Angel's Landing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel%27s_Landing) without any discomfort until I was standing around looking at all the directions I could fall off. Balconies and fences around drops cause the same effect, but often more pronounced. I don't think I trust engineers to design barriers properly (On the other hand, I'm comfortable flying in all sizes of planes). The edges of railroad platforms also make me uncomfortable, particularly those with electrified rails.

Stormthorn
2009-06-08, 10:00 PM
Adorable!
NO!

And these kinda creep me out. In fact im making an evil DnD version of them.
http://www.sspictures.fsnet.co.uk/images/gbflowers/pampas%20grass.jpg

Szilard
2009-06-08, 10:06 PM
One of my worst fears is nothing.
Mostly the nothing after death, but any nothing will do. It's just so mind-bottling.

KilltheToy
2009-06-08, 10:23 PM
Here's mine:

http://dogmatil.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/drowning.jpg

I had a real problem with swimming lessons. It took some time. I'm still not that great at it, and I can't do much beyond freestyle.

I also have a fear of falling to my death. It comes into play anytime I'm at a height that looks high enough to seriously injure or kill me. Balconies sometimes help, windows rarely do. The Sears Tower was an...intresting experiance to say the least.

Even better is when you combine the two. The diving board was a source of much fear for me. Jumping into 12 feet of water wasn't my idea of fun. I've yet totally overcome that.

Origomar
2009-06-08, 10:31 PM
Paralysis

http://www.theoneworldinstitute.org/images/scan/Right-sided-paralysis.jpg

Stormthorn
2009-06-08, 10:42 PM
One of my worst fears is nothing.
Mostly the nothing after death, but any nothing will do. It's just so mind-bottling.

Thats why i fear death.

One of the scariest moments of my life was being put under for surgery once with an injection (as opposed to my usual: the gas) and being aware of all my limbs failing to respond and my senses failing one at a time. The doc said i was talking as i went under and explaining what was happening and that no one had ever done that before. But i didnt know i was talking. I was just panicking. That slide into oblivion.
I was thinking about that very event a few hours ago and i broke down and cried. Im more stable right now tjo.

Overlord Nicy
2009-06-08, 11:09 PM
1. I'm seconding everything EVERYTHING all the arachnophobics have said here. I've never been able to kill one though- can't get close enough.

2. Small piercings. Sword through the chest? Fine. Kitchen knife? Fine. Needles? OH GODS.

3. Internet connection loss. Not the loss itself, but everytime I go with internet for more than a few days I get extremely paranoid and EVERYTHING starts to get to me.

Grey Paladin
2009-06-09, 07:30 AM
Silence
Infinity

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-09, 08:38 AM
These guys.

And also death. Most people dont like the idea of death, it really freaks me out. Oblivion. The end.
The Last Unicorn-
panicked:"I can feel this body dying all around me"

That line freaks me out.

It's only recently that death has started to scare me. It was actually a thread on these boards that made me think about it. I'm now petrified that there won't be anything after death.

Meh, sorry for being miserable. Carry on with your lives people.

Mordokai
2009-06-09, 08:51 AM
It's only recently that death has started to scare me. It was actually a thread on these boards that made me think about it. I'm now petrified that there won't be anything after death.

Meh, sorry for being miserable. Carry on with your lives people.

Eh, you're hardly the only one. In fact, there are times when I'm having quite a lot of problems with the same thing. That would probably count as my biggest fear. Hardly a phobia per se, but I'm certainly less than comfortable with the thought.

Grey Paladin
2009-06-09, 09:15 AM
Well, perhaps its my fear of the infinite, but I find the thought of death rather comforting. Could you imagine living forever?

LXH
2009-06-09, 09:21 AM
Well, perhaps its my fear of the infinite, but I find the thought of death rather comforting. Could you imagine living forever?

I'd settle for a compromise. Like, say, only living until the Big Crunch wipes out existence as we know it.

Fading away never to appear again scares the crap out of me.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-09, 09:21 AM

I think that i genuinely could. Yes there are certain things that immediately scream "DON'T DO IT!!!", but I would honestly prefer eternal life to death (assuming I don't spend eternity as a decrepid old man, or with eternal cancer or something of course).

almyki
2009-06-09, 12:02 PM
I don't have any actual 'phobias', but I do have a sheaf of fears.

The most conventional fear I have is 'fear of heights'. It's the normal type of fear that just 'is', always has been, when I'm from high up. It's a gotten a lot better so now it's just every now and then it's like 'woah! high!'.

Then, I've got lots of 'dream fears', if I can call them that. I remember many of my dreams, sometimes quite vividly, and there are recurring unfavorable themes. They include: choking/drowning in my own bile built up in my mouth (and being unable to open my mouth or breathe through my nose), being naked/almost naked in public, being chased (various chasers/situations), falling in attempts to fly, driving a car over ridiculously dangerous terrain without knowing how to drive, finding myself unable to scream or make any noise due to shear raw terror despite attempting to, being lost and alone in some foreign and scary territory, terribly painful and gruesome things happening to my teeth... there may be a couple others, but that's what I remember for now. These are all the 'recurring themes'; one-off scary dreams don't count.

I have a fear of mortality, and running out of time. Since birth, I have always been a 'slow' child; slow to walk, talk, read, mature, understand empathy, learn to ride a bike, just about everything I am slow-paced. I need a lot more time for things than other people, and I'm afraid that I just won't have enough and I'll just waste it all, and then regret it horribly at the time of my death. Maybe not live forever, but long enough? Unexpected and young death, too. Old age, sure, but random car crash? Eugh...

I guess I also have a weird little 'fear of truth' or something along those lines. I deliberately avoid thinking too deeply into philosophical meaning-life-cowardice-etc. sorts of things, because I know that I couldn't and wouldn't want to handle that sort of heavy emptiness, and tell myself to prefer to live in blissful ignorance. It's fascinating and you want to know more, to think about it and what things means to you... but it scares you too much to try, something like that.

I'm not typically afraid of many bugs, since as a child I held and played with all nature of crickets, caterpillars, worms, etc.. But there is ONE insect that freaks me out so much that I make it my mission to kill them on-site by dropping large heavy textbooks on them. I don't know what they are, but I call them 'cricket-hoppers', with a fat round little body and large back-legs that make them hop high and far. They appear randomly in my basement, and they FREAK ME.

I can't think of any others for now~. J

<3 ali

KataraAltinaII
2009-06-09, 12:06 PM
I don't have anything that scares me to death... mostly just when people come out of nowhere to pop out and scare me.

One thing I've never understood though, is the fear of death. If you believe in God and are going to be "saved" in heaven with Him, then why worry? wouldn't you want to WELCOME death? Or are the drugs affecting me again?

Maybe the wicked would have something to fear with going to hell and all, but but hey, if they knew about being wicked and going to hell, they sort of dug their own grave, amirite?

and for all those non-believers out there who believe that there's no God and that when you die, you die, again, why would you care? When you die, it's over, and you no longer exist to have to worry about things.

All in all, fear of death never made much sense to me. It probably never will either. Death is just another aspect of the universe.

Then again, neither did the fear of bugs, spiders, and the likes. We as humans have a pair of anti-bug devices known as feet, and said objects can be enhanced to greater capacities with the power of big boots.

so while I try to think of what I'm afraid of, I guess you all can dwell on the fact that I might laugh at anyone who is afraid of death or bugs.

Now, fearing lawyers, politicians, and ranty Atheists...
there's logic behind fearing those things, mates. :smalltongue:

EDIT: oh, and became upon reading this thread and stumbling upon this post, (namely, the part in bold) this was one of those times where the golden opportunity to prove my point came into play...

Well, I've thought up some new ones.

Sharp objects, hospitals, needles, heavy machinery, blenders, ice-crushers, loosing any of my senses, failure, my internet connection being irreparably damaged, the Lethal Weapon ride at Movie World on the Gold Coast, body parts, darkness, deep holes, my various secrets being revealed, finding something that my brother is continuously better than me at, celebreties, and girls. (Laugh and you die.)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA H!!!!!!!!

Katrascythe
2009-06-09, 12:09 PM
Lepidopteraphobia - The fear of winged insects. I hate them alive, I hate the majority of them dead. I scream at cicadas, roaches, butterflies.

I like moths.

Butterflies are ok dead, none of the others I listed in the first block are.

This phobia came to be when I was about 2 and I was given a butterfly to hold in my hand. They thought it was on the way to death so it wasn't moving much. However, it had a little bit more life in him so he tried to fly away. I was shocked and i jerked my hand back, giving myself a black eye. I told my mother later that the "Butterfly bit me" and I've never been able to really stand them. Best I can do is hold perfectly still while they fly around but if they come towards me I start to panic.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-09, 12:09 PM
I don't have anything that scares me to death... mostly just when people come out of nowhere to pop out and scare me.

One thing I've never understood though, is the fear of death. If you believe in God and are going to be "saved" in heaven with Him, then why worry? wouldn't you want to WELCOME death? Or are the drugs affecting me again?

Maybe the wicked would have something to fear with going to hell and all, but but hey, if they knew about being wicked and going to hell, they sort of dug their own grave, amirite?

and for all those non-believers out there who believe that there's no God and that when you die, you die, again, why would you care? When you die, it's over, and you no longer exist to have to worry about things.

All in all, fear of death never made much sense to me. It probably never will either. Death is just another aspect of the universe.

Then again, neither did the fear of bugs, spiders, and the likes. We as humans have a pair of anti-bug devices known as feet, and said objects can be enhanced to greater capacities with the power of big boots.

so while I try to think of what I'm afraid of, I guess you all can dwell on the fact that I might laugh at anyone who is afraid of death or bugs.

Now, fearing lawyers, politicians, and ranty Atheists...
there's logic behind fearing those things, mates. :smalltongue:

I read that and thought, wow, that is so true.
Unfortunately, I still fear death (I want to stay here as long as I can), although that might be due to me being a young teenager.

LXH
2009-06-09, 12:18 PM
How could one not fear having their own consciousness permanently snuffed out? Everything we're hard coded for as a species is aimed at prolonging our survival.

You'd see a whole lot more atheists in the world if nobody feared oblivion. It's a powerful recruiting pitch to say "hey pal! Prospect of eternal non-existence got you down? Have no fear, my friend. Do what I and/or my God says and you'll be taken care of forever and ever!"

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-09, 12:23 PM
I'm afraid of spiders, heights, deep water, torture, failure, and success.

Though I guess being afraid of torture is probably not a phobia, just a regular thing. Ever since I was a kid and saw the torture museum at our local RenFair, it totally wigged me out.

My fear of spiders is both very intense and very particular. I'm not afraid of really small ones or really big ones (as in, giant spiders in fantasy stories), only reasonably sized ones. I don't care how well I know you, if you bring your pet tarantula to my house, I will kill it. Spiders are just like cats, except not cute and furry. They are silent and could be lurking anywhere...anywhere! Oh god, I'm giving myself the willies just thinking about this.

LXH
2009-06-09, 12:25 PM
I'm afraid of spiders, heights, deep water, torture, failure, and success.

Though I guess being afraid of torture is probably not a phobia, just a regular thing. Ever since I was a kid and saw the torture museum at our local RenFair, it totally wigged me out.

My fear of spiders is both very intense and very particular. I'm not afraid of really small ones or really big ones (as in, giant spiders in fantasy stories), only reasonably sized ones. I don't care how well I know you, if you bring your pet tarantula to my house, I will kill it. Spiders are just like cats, except not cute and furry. They are silent and could be lurking anywhere...anywhere! Oh god, I'm giving myself the willies just thinking about this.
Tarantulas are pretty furry. They just want to snuggle. :smallsmile:

Mordokai
2009-06-09, 12:26 PM
And take a little bite, while at it.

They are just like little furry eight legged vampires, really! :smallbiggrin:

LXH
2009-06-09, 12:28 PM
And take a little bite, while at it.

They are just like little furry eight legged vampires, really! :smallbiggrin:

That's their way of saying "be my friend?" :smalltongue: I seriously think tarantulas are fascinating and sometimes even kind of cute. But that probably speaks more of my own weirdness given that I'd try to pet a giant spider but freeze up to the point of paralysis around large roaches. And Chucky!

golentan
2009-06-09, 12:31 PM
How could one not fear having their own consciousness permanently snuffed out? Everything we're hard coded for as a species is aimed at prolonging our survival.

I fear that a lot less than the idea of an afterlife or reincarnation, personally. There are too many required secondary powers, too many questions about what it would be and why, and quite frankly when it comes time to rest in peace I want to REST IN PEACE.

And reincarnation is scary. The idea that you continue to exist without retaining that many fundamental traits? It implies scary things to me about the nature of consciousness.

I realize this is just me.

LXH
2009-06-09, 12:36 PM
I fear that a lot less than the idea of an afterlife or reincarnation, personally. There are too many required secondary powers, too many questions about what it would be and why, and quite frankly when it comes time to rest in peace I want to REST IN PEACE.

And reincarnation is scary. The idea that you continue to exist without retaining that many fundamental traits? It implies scary things to me about the nature of consciousness.

I realize this is just me.
Yeah, for me I'm pretty sold on the idea of nothingness. I also would hate reincarnation or the idea that some religions' definition of God really is the supreme morality in the universe and you have no choice but to serve a sometimes warped and cruel system to avoid eternal damnation. Of those, oblivion is the most reassuring. It's just that I'd rather not have to die and thus not have to worry about it

I just never think of it as resting. It's more like not existing, which completely blows my mind to try to comprehend. I've only ever understood what it's like to exist. I know things existed before me and will do so after, but my consciousness doesn't know those times, so it comes across as unknown and frightening. Obviously I won't be around to worry about it once I die, which is why I'm taking care of that now. :smalltongue:

Headless_Ninja
2009-06-09, 12:37 PM
When you die, it's over, and you no longer exist to have to worry about things
This is exactly the problem. If you believe that death is literally the end, then when someone dies they're lost. Forever. Everything we know about them came from what they showed us (and as we die, even those memories will disappear), and the person they really are - which, let's be honest, no-one ever actually reveals - will be lost. All those unique quirks of thought, those viewpoints that only they had, those ideas that they never shared - gone. And even the things they did share will go eventually. Death, to me, is the loss of someone that was capable of all kinds of emotions and had an understanding of the universe that we will never share, and that's tragic. This is why I fear death of loved ones.
Secondly, the belief that there is nothing after death means that I as a being, a consciousness will eventually cease to exist. And not only will I be unable to pass on all of my own memories and insights, but I'll be unable to form new ones. Unable to experience anything new ever again. Just completely gone. The jury is still out on whether or not this is worse than suffering loss of brain function.

Faceist
2009-06-09, 12:42 PM
Silence. If there's no-one about to talk to, I'll play music. If I don't have access to music, I'll talk or sing to myself. I'm iffy on cockroaches and scorpions, but I can deal with them.

Hell Puppi
2009-06-09, 02:16 PM
Clowns.

You heard me.

RS14
2009-06-09, 04:45 PM
I'm not typically afraid of many bugs, since as a child I held and played with all nature of crickets, caterpillars, worms, etc.. But there is ONE insect that freaks me out so much that I make it my mission to kill them on-site by dropping large heavy textbooks on them. I don't know what they are, but I call them 'cricket-hoppers', with a fat round little body and large back-legs that make them hop high and far. They appear randomly in my basement, and they FREAK ME.

I think those are camel crickets. I'll refrain from posting pictures.

KataraAltinaII
2009-06-09, 05:23 PM
Tarantulas are pretty furry. They just want to snuggle. :smallsmile:
and they're awesome too.
I held one when I was 4. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I SOOOO want one as a pet.
and if it kills me... oh well.

I guess if people believe that once you snuff it it's over might fear SOMEONE else dying... when I said "why fear death" in my other post, I was more referring to "why fear your own death"

but yeah.

RS14
2009-06-09, 05:37 PM
and they're awesome too.
I held one when I was 4. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I SOOOO want one as a pet.
and if it kills me... oh well.

I saw one fed crickets at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. It was very cool. They move amazingly fast.

I also had the good luck to watch a jumping spider catch a gnat on my windowsill this week.

Maybe I should get back to the topic...

Crimmy's story reminds me that there was a time when I was somewhat afraid of spiders. Reading about them, watching them, and handling them have all helped me get over it, though it still startles me if they move fast and I'm not expecting it.

Erothayce
2009-06-09, 06:02 PM
I think the only thing that squicks me out is heights. But I have to be pretty far up in the air with no supports around. Other than that I'm fine.

I don't really fear death, I just see it as natural and when it happens it happens. If I can do something to prolong my life I'll do it but I see no reason to fear it.

Recaiden
2009-06-09, 06:25 PM
Posting about my fear made me afraid to post it.:smallsigh:

So I'll say that I used to be afraid of heights. But am not much anymore.

Anuan
2009-06-09, 07:35 PM
Okay, since everyone's talking about tarantulas, I have to say something.
Meet the female Cobalt Blue Tarantula. Warning; not for the Arachnophobes.
http://www.bighairyspiders.com/pix/cobalt1.jpg

Isn't she beautiful? Now, as a Tarantula, she's quite large. About six inches or so, give or take a few for legs. Recommended only for experienced keepers, they have no urticating hairs to flick, but they are incredibly fast, have long, incredibly painful (if not dangerous to humans, venom-wise) fangs (about an inch and a half in the large ones) and she's Asian. Those in the know would realise that Asian Tarantulas are incredibly aggressive. The Cobalt incredibly so. She's a ****ing psychopath and will bite the hell out of you at the slightest provocation.

...She's damn pretty, though. I mean c'mon, it's BLUE! BRIGHT DAMN BLUE!

LXH
2009-06-09, 08:28 PM
You know something has to be pretty badass to be bright freaking blue and survive out the wild. Must not be overly concerned about predators.

That tarantula is basically the O-Chul of arachnids.

Fostire
2009-06-09, 08:30 PM
You know something has to be pretty badass to be bright freaking blue and survive out the wild. Must not be overly concerned about predators.
That's because most predators know that bright colors = poisonous

LXH
2009-06-09, 08:38 PM
That's because most predators know that bright colors = poisonous

All tarantulas have some degree of venom; this one's isn't particularly potent.

I'm going with my more robust "most predators know bright blue = O-Chul" theory.

darkblust
2009-06-09, 08:45 PM
Death is a weird thing to think about.When ever I think about it,it is as if I go into a bubble outside of my body.I just don't know what is after life,and thats kinda weird.

mercurymaline
2009-06-09, 09:45 PM
I have a strange fear, not of bugs, but of dead insects and spiders. I've had dreams all my life of dead insects disintegrating into their component bits at my touch, and then the bits, legs and heads and things, now small enough to climb into my shirtsleeves and whatnot, twitch about after me and attempt to lodge in my clothing and hair. So, yeah, I don't touch dead bugs.

Kjata
2009-06-09, 11:29 PM

You'd see a whole lot more atheists in the world if nobody feared oblivion. It's a powerful recruiting pitch to say "hey pal! Prospect of eternal non-existence got you down? Have no fear, my friend. Do what I and/or my God says and you'll be taken care of forever and ever!"

I don't fear death one bit... partly because I'm a christian, but even if there is nothing I wouldn't care that much. If I die and there is nothing, who cares? I'll never know. Plus life is overrated.

One thing I am terrified of is hell though.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-10, 10:11 AM
Okay, since everyone's talking about tarantulas, I have to say something.
Meet the female Cobalt Blue Tarantula. Warning; not for the Arachnophobes.
http://www.bighairyspiders.com/pix/cobalt1.jpg

Isn't she beautiful? Now, as a Tarantula, she's quite large. About six inches or so, give or take a few for legs. Recommended only for experienced keepers, they have no urticating hairs to flick, but they are incredibly fast, have long, incredibly painful (if not dangerous to humans, venom-wise) fangs (about an inch and a half in the large ones) and she's Asian. Those in the know would realise that Asian Tarantulas are incredibly aggressive. The Cobalt incredibly so. She's a ****ing psychopath and will bite the hell out of you at the slightest provocation.

...She's damn pretty, though. I mean c'mon, it's BLUE! BRIGHT DAMN BLUE!

Why did I look!!! Nooo!! Kill it with a shovel!

I'm aware that tarantulas are harmless to humans. But they need to be very aware that Decoy Lockbox is not harmless to spiders.

All this talk of death and dying reminds me of an particular song.

"The Darkest Hour", by Amebix

My friend the time has come for us to say goodbye
So with these parting words I bid you fond farewell
It seems the life we led was just a shameful lie
What does the future hold? Well only time will tell

I'm not scared of dying and I don't really care
If it's peace you find in dying well then let my time be near
If it's peace you find in dying when dying time is here
Bundle up my coffin, 'cos it's cold way down there

And when I'm dead
And when I'm gone
There'll be one child born
And a world to carry on

Some say our fate is sealed and help to tie the knot
Some say that this may be the lull before the storm
But there's one piece of nature everyone's forgot
And that's, "The darkest hour is always before the dawn!"

When the candle burns low
When there's no more to say
Dig me a hole
Where my body might lay

Rather touching lyrics from a punk band.

My belief is that consciousness is the software that your brain (hardware) runs. When you die, you power off....forever. I suspect that death will basically be endless, dreamless sleep (which sounds an awful lot like my understanding of the Buddhist concept of "nirvana"). So it won't be bad, or good, it will be just like sleep. You go to sleep, and its over. It would be totally cool to believe in one of the various afterlives that have been posited throughout the years, but I can't really get down with that, for a number of reasons that I won't bring up here (since this isn't a religion thread or anything).

Arachu
2009-06-10, 05:51 PM
Insects. Particularly parasitic ones. I was so afraid of parasites when I was 10, that I was a complete wreck over it. When drinking something, I would filter it between my tongue and palate, straining every drop for tapeworm eggs.

It got worse when I figured out that eggs are too small to see :smallannoyed:

But even more than that, and this is still true now, is darkness. Not like, shadows, or a dark room. Darkness. Cold, empty, black space that threatens ever-presently to tear the very life from you, the very heat from reality.

For example, we were talking about phobias in my Psychology class. The teacher showed a picture of a spider, which caused almost everyone in the room to hide in their own hair. Or arms, whichever was most convenient. I just felt mild discomfort.

Then, he said "how do feel when I take it away?". After he turned it off, I suddenly felt this, oh-so-dreaded feeling. I asked him, with a very nervous voice, "What if the dark, empty screen scares us more than the spider?" at which he responded "That is... Extremely unlikely" "Well, I'm asking for a reason" I stated.

Long story short, I just ended up receiving a few weird looks from about the room. I honestly don't care. I've seen disturbing things in the dark :mitd:
(Oh, and that last bit wasn't a joke; I just thought that smiley fit best)

Mr. Mud
2009-06-10, 05:54 PM
I'm 6'7. I weigh roughly 255lbs. I Bench press well into the upper 300's. I. Can't. Stand. Bugs. :smalleek:.

Xyk
2009-06-10, 11:30 PM
For whatever reason I don't usually find myself afraid of anything. I can't honestly think of anything I'm actually too afraid of to deal with. I mean, bears are kinda scary up close, but I think I could scare one off if I had to. Mind over matter works for me. Maybe I'm just reckless.

almyki
2009-06-10, 11:43 PM
OH! RIGHT! One other 'normal fear' that I have, that just plain spooks me, is the ocean! It's not terrible or anything, I've been on cruises and at the beach and stuff, but when stuck on the middle of a big wide ocean, staring out at it and just thinking about it a little too much really gives me shivers!

Maybe it's kind of weird, but it's just... it's so wide and so endless, and so deep and full of... large, scary, things. The thought of a gigantic whale rising beneath/near us, or... to fall in and... or gigantic crashing waves or... or whatever! It's just so lawless out in the ocean... you realize just how insignificant you are next to nature, yeah? Even when the only ocean I'm looking out at is calm and flat and happy with sunshine and dolphins and **** XD . It's creepy~ .

<3 ali

Hell Puppi
2009-06-10, 11:57 PM
Yeah....I'm terrified of the ocean as well.

I blame the fact that I've lived in the desert nearly my whole life.

Arcane Copycat
2009-06-11, 03:43 AM
Yeah....I'm terrified of the ocean as well.

I blame the fact that I've lived in the desert nearly my whole life.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who lives inland, and first time at the beach was terrified of seaweed. Seaweed of all things

Arachu
2009-06-11, 08:59 AM
Fear of the depths is perfectly understandable. Plus, it's somehow made even more creepy because it looks so happy and inviting...

Personally, I like water, and deep water, but if I can't see the bottom I can't brave it at all (probably for the same reason I sleep with enough light to see through my eyelids).

Helanna
2009-06-11, 02:46 PM
So I remember learning in Health class that in order for a fear to actually be a phobia, it must seriously impact one's quality of life. And I wondered for a while whether my fear of spiders really qualified, as I didn't think that it seriously impacted my life.Well, every once in a while I'm reminded that it does.

A long ranting complaint about an . . . incident follows.

So, the other thing I hate that creeps me out is the undead. Luckily, this doesn't really matter very much for obvious reasons. However, last night, I was watching TV in my bedroom down in the basement. The show was about the undead, so I'm kind of regretting my choice to watch it. And then out of the corner of my eye, I see a small dark shape moving down on my floor. At first I think I'm imagining it, but I look again and sure enough, a spider has just crawled out of a pile of stuff on my floor. Well, I figure that I can grab some paper and kill it or something without too much trouble, but I don't really want to because it's still on my stuff and would be too hard to hit - and trust me, if I miss it once, I probably won't be able to gather the courage to try again.

So I run upstairs, grab the vacuum cleaner, and run downstairs again.

The spider is gone.

I looked for it. Actually, I made my ten-year-old sister look for it, because I was too terrified that if I turned over a paper or something, the spider would actually be there. However, we couldn't find the spider anywhere.

I haven't been in my room since. I slept upstairs on the couch last night, and I might do so again tonight. I feel so pathetic, being so scared of such a small, harmless spider. :smallfrown: I'll go down again later today, though. part of the reason I was so terrified was because it was dark out, and for some reason, I absolutely cannot stand spiders in the dark. Daylight probably would have been fine, but . . . *shudder*

So . . . yeah.

And Anuan, that is a beautiful spider, heh. I opened the spoiler automatically just as I saw the "Not for the arachnophobes" warning, so at least I knew what to expect. And I would have been more creeped out, but it's such a beautiful shade of blue . . .

Vonotar
2009-06-11, 02:51 PM
I have a fear of deep water (Swimming pools are normally ok) such as lakes or the sea. I also have a strong dislike for whales (though not fear of, and no not the country Wales)

Reptilius
2009-06-11, 02:58 PM
I like insects. I think they're fascinating. But whenever I see bees I start panicking. I'm not allergic, I've never been stung; I'm just incredibly, irrationally terrified of bees and their ilk.

Logalmier
2009-06-11, 02:59 PM
http://www.epa.gov/mold/images/photo2.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/PhotozOnline/Album%20Two/AtmosphericMoldAfter120HoursIncubat.jpg

Pictures say it all. I hate mold, especially when I find it on food.

Arachu
2009-06-12, 03:29 PM
*looks back on post*

Eye injury just might be one of my greater fears. Which is ironic, because whenever I joke talk about torture methods, I always suggest mention eye-gouging :smalleek:

Also, death doesn't particularly scare me (reincarnation theorist) as much as the ways that you can actually die. Drowning or being stabbed? Hell of a 'choice'...

Finally, I don't exactly have a phobia of clowns, but they creep me out. It might have something to do with how their faces look reminiscent of plague victims :roy:

*curls up into some improbable shape, and waits for the next guy...*

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-12, 04:09 PM
OH! RIGHT! One other 'normal fear' that I have, that just plain spooks me, is the ocean! It's not terrible or anything, I've been on cruises and at the beach and stuff, but when stuck on the middle of a big wide ocean, staring out at it and just thinking about it a little too much really gives me shivers!

Maybe it's kind of weird, but it's just... it's so wide and so endless, and so deep and full of... large, scary, things. The thought of a gigantic whale rising beneath/near us, or... to fall in and... or gigantic crashing waves or... or whatever! It's just so lawless out in the ocean... you realize just how insignificant you are next to nature, yeah? Even when the only ocean I'm looking out at is calm and flat and happy with sunshine and dolphins and **** XD . It's creepy~ .

<3 ali

This is exactly how I feel, especially the whole "rising up" thing. Just imagining treading water in the ocean, and then all of a sudden the murky outline of something huge rising up from the depths begins to become clearer, and clearer...

I had a real fascination with giant squids and kraken as a little kid, I wonder if this had anything to do with it.

Lufia
2009-06-12, 04:22 PM
I don't have phobias, as in nothing sends me into panic attacks. As for more regular fears...

Spiders and crawling insects. More specifically, I'm afraind of them touching me. If I see a spider on a wall somewhere? No big deal, it can stay. If a spider is climbing on my hand? Expect a violent jerk. :smalleek:

Also, clowns. Clowns are terrifying.

Eldrys
2009-06-12, 04:32 PM
Dentists and doctors.

http://www.insure.com/articles/images/dentist-working.jpg

http://www.randstad.com/Image2313.ashx?thumb=2

http://www.randstad.com/Image2986.ashx?thumb=2

I know they're helpful, but they have needles and poky things.

Erloas
2009-06-12, 04:36 PM
I would say I don't really have any major fears, definitely not to the point of being a phobia.

I don't have a big issue with spiders, but I make sure they keep their distance or else they get the foot (or whatever else as the situation dictates). The issue with spiders is that while most are not an issue, there are quite a few that are potentially very damaging to humans and I know at least around where I live fit into the dangerous category. So its foot first, wonder if they were dangerous or not later.

I don't have an issue with heights, but I'm not going to be jumping off of them either. Being on a 20ft cliff is nothing, jumping off said cliff into water isn't something I want to do.

As for the fear of being in water you can't see the bottom of, that would make it very hard to do anything outdoors around where I live. Most of the time you can't see the bottom of the river when its only 2 feet deep because of all the algae and moss around.

I would say most of my fears are healthy, life preserving sorts. Not a fear so much as a respect for the fact that other things can be dangerous and treating them accordingly.

Fostire
2009-06-12, 05:05 PM
Dentists and doctors.

http://www.insure.com/articles/images/dentist-working.jpg

http://www.randstad.com/Image2313.ashx?thumb=2

http://www.randstad.com/Image2986.ashx?thumb=2

I know they're helpful, but they have needles and poky things.
Ironically, they were scarier when they didn't have needles and poky things.
"Yep, that's a cavity alright. No problem, just let me get my hammer and we'll get it out in no time." :smalleek:

Fan
2009-06-12, 05:09 PM
This is exactly how I feel, especially the whole "rising up" thing. Just imagining treading water in the ocean, and then all of a sudden the murky outline of something huge rising up from the depths begins to become clearer, and clearer...

I had a real fascination with giant squids and kraken as a little kid, I wonder if this had anything to do with it.

Ia, Ia! Rlyeh, Cthulhu Fghtan!
Sorry, but you mentioned huge things emerging from the deep, and squids in the same post.

As for my fears...Spiders...By GOD do I fear spiders. I don't know how or why... I just FREAK when I see one thats any bigger then my thumb.:smalleek:

Arachu
2009-06-12, 05:35 PM
Elevators, escalators, and building-to-building bridges.

I trust my actual legs to do the moving, thank you very much :smallconfused:

Additionally, the St. Louis Arch. I'm so glad I don't dream; I would be having nightmares...

VampireRot
2009-06-12, 05:39 PM
I have a fear of getting lost in large crowds.

http://www.panasianbiz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/crowd-of-people.jpg

I don't want to be like Waldo! :smalleek::smallfrown::smalleek:

Winter_Wolf
2009-06-13, 02:16 AM
My greatest fear would be something along the lines of being the unwitting instrument of the destruction of all life as we know it on the planet. I've had a lot of those kind of dreams, ya see, and as a general rule most of the other kinds dreams I've had, have come true to lesser or greater degrees, sometimes the next day and sometimes several years down the road.

I don't have the gift of perfect memory, but I do remember a lot of stuff, especially dream-things. (Still waiting on those winning lottery numbers, though! :smallamused:)

Anuan
2009-06-16, 01:40 AM
*adds Winter Wolf to his list of fears* :smalleek:

Lydronk
2009-06-16, 04:53 AM
Surprised, I thought ophidiophobes outnumbered arachnophobes? Whatever, I'm an ophidiophobe, I really can't even bear the thought. Eels and many fishes that look like snakes make me swim screaming out of water! Not screaming, actually. And yes, I skip the pages of Monster Manual where there are Yuan-ti pictures. Though most do not look like real, I can ignore the for a bit.

And though I love insects, a large spider on my face would really be a problem for me.

KjeldorMage
2009-06-16, 05:36 AM
To me it seems that every phobia stems from a fear of physical harm or death. To those ends, aren't all fears just an inborn response to a perceived danger?

Enough rationalization,

I'm afraid of dark water where I can't see the bottom. I always have the deep seated fear of drowning and as such don't trust the aquatic predators that could be lurking about. (Especially nessie, I love the idea of a pleisaur living in Scotland I just don't want to be anywhere near it on the loch).

Me and Heights are still not buddies. I have been working on this fear but for the longest time I had problems with 20' zip lines and the like. Been always able to do roller coasters though (shrug).

My greatest fear though was E.T. I would paralyze in terror every time something E.T. related would come on the screen. ( I never realized how long they milked that movie's success in the late 80's). I finally, "got over it", by watching the movie but if say E.T. would come up behind me while I was writing this I would flip out and probably kill it. I also tell my friends that if they pull any sort of E.T. pranks while I am sleeping, I will hunt them down and beat them mercilessly.

Ilena
2009-06-16, 08:49 AM
What am i truely deathly afriad of? Not much really ... probably the biggest thing is when im in the forest alone i feel like im being stalked by a preditor ... a wolf or a big cat or something ... even though i know they arnt going to hurt me, im still very very VERY uncomfortable, i gota try to get over that .... what i dislike almost to the point of fear? i absolutely hate spiders crawling on me, ants, no problem, most other insects? eh .. i dont likeum but im not going to jump, spiders, i swiftly remove them for sure! them hanging on a web, no biggie, the thought of them with my legs under a desk, well .. lets just say my legs arnt under a desk right now with feelings of a spider stuck under my foot in my shoe ... :S

i feel like a shark is going to swim up and bite me when im swimming in the ocean, even though theres no sharks anywhere around where i am ... too cold for most, i think .... in a boat perfectly fine, well mostly again, ocean creeps me out,

ummm what else, i dont think i have anything else thats really a major concern,

smellie_hippie
2009-06-16, 09:25 AM
I'm afraid of going deaf. I have no family history of hearing problems, and stopped listening to 'loud' music that could damage my hearing over a decade ago. But the thought of not being able to 'hear' is terribly frightening to me.

I'm also terribly afraid of being alone.

Bugs, heights, deep water, spiders, needles, the dark, death, etc... not so much.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I wasn't sure how to post a picture for the first one...

ghost_warlock
2009-06-16, 09:33 AM
Okay, I was going to say something like "surviving all of my friends" or "being the last one alive." To go along with this, I thought I'd look for pictures relating to being 'alone' and somesuch online.

However, something I found during my search is currently much more frightening:
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/NotAlone.jpg

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-16, 09:34 AM

Are you afraid of rabbits or death?

I'm fraid of:
The dark
Bugs (and arachnids)
Snakes
Being alone wen I grow old

Recaiden
2009-06-16, 09:39 AM
@Hippie: Like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fa/International_Symbol_for_Deafness.svg/360px-International_Symbol_for_Deafness.svg.png
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/7/16/633517912898479675-Alone---Ever-get-the-feeling-you-are-lost-and-all-alone---Demotivator-t2.jpg

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-16, 10:01 AM
I can't stand to be in a quiet room. :smalleek: It's like something is there. "quiet, too quiet..."

EDIT: Ohh and showers, if I don't sing or something, I get these terible thoughts of monsters and crazies coming out at me and ripping my throaght out, arn't I charming.

smellie_hippie
2009-06-16, 10:11 AM
@Hippie: Like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fa/International_Symbol_for_Deafness.svg/360px-International_Symbol_for_Deafness.svg.png
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/7/16/633517912898479675-Alone---Ever-get-the-feeling-you-are-lost-and-all-alone---Demotivator-t2.jpg

Yeah... I suppose I could have gone searching. I'm just at work, and though the computer police might frown upon extensive interent searching. Good pictures though!

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-06-16, 10:20 AM
Two main fears besides the standard loved ones being hurt, eviscerated by chainsaw wielding madmen, etc.

#1. Sudden loud noises. When I was a toddler I was standing by one of those wall-tall speaker in an appliance store and a guy in the next aisle turned it on, not knowing I was there, with the volume full up. I fainted. To this day any sudden loud noise nearby triggers my flight or fight response. I almost killed my cousin who leaped out of the dark at me with a scream one day.

#2. Living my life without a certain girl I've known since childhood.

Otherwise, BRING IT :smallamused:

V'icternus
2009-06-16, 06:46 PM
I can't stand to be in a quiet room. :smalleek: It's like something is there. "quiet, too quiet..."

EDIT: Ohh and showers, if I don't sing or something, I get these terible thoughts of monsters and crazies coming out at me and ripping my throaght out, arn't I charming.

I hate it when it's too quiet...

Also, shower singing FTW.

Agamid
2009-06-17, 02:14 AM
http://cache.thephoenix.com/secure/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/News/This_Just_In/TJI_ClearChannel_Falling.jpg

especially from a great height... i can't look at someone leaning on a safety banister if we're more than 3 stores up.

http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/research/divisions/fed/images/ocean_river.jpg

large bodies of water... especially the ocean, especially if i can't see the bottom. I'm not a strong swimmer and i've had to rescue my little brother from drowning, and i have a great amount of respect for all of the predators found in water, it's their territory and if you get injured or killed while it, well, maybe you shouldn't have been there in the first place.

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs13/f/2007/102/7/e/Claustrophobia_III_by_larafairie.jpg

inclosed spaces and airless spaces, including crowds. though strangely enough i looove being in caves.

http://www.gov.im/lib/images/daff/animals_fish/pigs.jpg

and now for the odd one... i can't put into words how much i do NOT like pigs, and this well out-dates the whole swine flu fiasco. But i'm going to have to get over it when i start my vet degree...

toasty
2009-06-17, 02:59 AM
Hmm...

Rejection. Big one. Probably the primary reason why I am very bad at initating conversations or stuff with other people. I'm afraid they'll blow me off, ignore me or say no. Makes no sense, but its the truth. It can take a lot of courage for me to go up to someone I don't know very well and start a conversation.

Loads of people. In a specific sense at least. I don't mind crowds, but crowds I have to interact with? Scares me beyond belief. I was once at a party with a bunch of people I didn't know and I almost had a panic attack because I knew I was expected to talk to everyone there.

The dark. Sometimes at least... I'm a light freak though. Strangely enough though when I want to sleep the room needs to be about pitch black, unless I'm just wasted.

Heights. To a degree. I can stand on a roof, but if I have look down I get vertigo really fast.

Cockroaches. These things are evil incarnate I tell you. Luckily most of my family shares this fear. We hunt the vile beasts and destroy them.

That's all I can think of at the time.