PDA

View Full Version : Odd Comics (With potential foreshadowing or otherwise)

Slimslamer
2009-06-07, 11:07 AM
I was reading through the Assault on Azure City arc in the comics, and I came across this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0469.html), which made me wonder, why didn't Belkar take damage? I can understand the reason (Storywise and practically speaking) behind the Eye of Flame and Fear betraying Belkar and attacking him, but it's clearly not a joke, so why not show him get roughed up even a little bit? Basically, what is the point of this? Will evasion become a crucial skill for Belkar later in the comic?

Now, this thread is not devoted to asking that one question, it's also for posting all of your similar questions about incidents that seem like they could be foreshadowing or seem a bit out of place in the comic.

Silverraptor
2009-06-07, 11:10 AM
The reason is because Evasion is learned by rangers at a much later level that Rich was making it into a joke. And evasion, if you succeed on the save, lets you avoid the damage, Similar to how Haley keeps dodging them.

Zerg Cookie
2009-06-07, 11:12 AM
Rangers learn evasion when they gain their 9th level in ranger.
Yes, it's that simple...

The real question is, why didn't we see him use it before? We know they were higher level than 9 even when the comic started. Unless he is not a single-classed-ranger, in which case, we have another question: What the hell is Belkar's classes build?

Edit: Ninja'd... Like I didn't expect it...

Silverraptor
2009-06-07, 11:13 AM
Yes, it's that simple...

The real question is, why didn't we see him use it before? We know they were higher level than 9 even when the comic started. Unless he is not a single-classed-ranger, in which case, we have another question: What the hell is Belkar's classes build?

We will never know! Because there's no character sheet. Bwahahahaha.:smallamused:

Slimslamer
2009-06-07, 11:13 AM
Yes, it's that simple...

That's a simple question. 'Sexy Shoeless God of War.'

Spiryt
2009-06-07, 11:25 AM

He most certainly has few levels of barbarian, as few earlier strips indicate.

TengYt
2009-06-07, 12:20 PM
Knowing Belkar, who seems to forget he's a Ranger half the time, he simply didn't realise he had Evasion.

Dagren
2009-06-07, 01:23 PM
Knowing Belkar, who seems to forget he's a Ranger half the time, he simply didn't realise he had Evasion.Yes, but if forgetting you have an ability makes you lose it, why did it work in #469?

David Argall
2009-06-07, 01:54 PM
Yes, it's that simple...

The real question is, why didn't we see him use it before? We know they were higher level than 9 even when the comic started.

No we don't know that. In fact we know the opposite. We have WOG that the party was supposed to be 6-9th level in the dungeon [a level that was to be kept vague for story purposes, and possibly lowered at times]. So it was possible Belkar had only recently achieved 9th level ranger, or that he simply didn't pay any attention to his ranger abilities. [Recall this is a non-tracking ranger for one thing.]

Xondoure
2009-06-07, 02:07 PM
What I find strange is that Belkar's level seems to be directly proportionate to how badass he needs to be. Honestly, he's the only member of the order that seems to work like that.