PDA

View Full Version : Want to get into dnd

Origomar
2009-06-07, 12:07 PM
Whats the best way to get into dnd, i know several people that played or have played before, and i also have a friend that wants to play.

I know some of the basics but i am not sure how to get started or where the best place to learn is so far ive just read alot of the rules from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

the problem im having is i dont really know where to get a DM that would teach me and my friend how to play.

quick_comment
2009-06-07, 12:11 PM
rpol.net has a ton of play by post games, and people are usually willing to help new people out. I run an arena there, where we do pvp.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-07, 12:15 PM
Hang around and absorb knowledge of DnD though osmosis. Read threads and ask intelligent questions.

Emy
2009-06-07, 12:15 PM
Only somewhat on-topic - I recommend using this site: The Hypertext d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/).

It's all the same content, but much more conveniently organized, and searchable.

Origomar
2009-06-07, 12:29 PM
Only somewhat on-topic - I recommend using this site: The Hypertext d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/).

It's all the same content, but much more conveniently organized, and searchable.

thanks ill check that out :)

Flickerdart
2009-06-07, 12:37 PM
You will also be well served by remembering a few factoids about 3.5:
Some books you'll see for sale (Psionics Handbook) have been updated from 3,0 already and are useless. Other books (Savage Species) have not been updated and thus can work.
Not every class is equal: spellcasting is much more powerful than melee, and the higher levels go up, the worse it gets.
Core isn't balanced, so don't restrict yourself to it. This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=374d186b28be4adf96e37931699344 8e&topic=1109.0) is a collection of all free D&D material published by Wizards online.
The Monk is generally not a good idea.
The Fighter is not a beginner-friendly class.
The Soulknife, Truenamer and Samurai are awful.

There are games played in the Unofficial Giant ITP IRC channel (irc.GameSurge.net, #giantitp). Not all of them are 3.5E, not all of them are regular, so ask.

Local hobby shops are usually a good idea to look when looking for a gaming group. Likewise, I am certain that if you post your city, some people may know a group that gathers in it.

JellyPooga
2009-06-07, 12:43 PM
Ah...fresh meat! :smallamused:

A good place to start is your local hobby store. They're usually hidden away in back-alleys and other out-of-the-way places if you don't know where the closest one to you is, so you might have to do some searching. The staff in hobby stores are usually massive geeks and will likely be able to shove you in the right direction with regards to finding a gaming group in your area. If you can find an existing public group, they should be more than willing to show you the ropes.

Failing that, you say that you have some friends that have played before; just get together with them, decide what game you specifically would like to play (DnD 3.5, DnD 4th, Shadowrun, GURPS, etc.), pool some money and invest in a set of the Core rules for whatever system you decide upon (e.g. for DnD 3.5; the Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide and Monster Manual). If you don't want to collectively own something, then you'll just have to cough up the money yourself or borrow the books from someone else.

Once you've got a gaming group together, just read the rules. Most RPG books are fairly easy to get to grips with the basics...it's only the little details that are a bit more tricky, but you kind of pick those up as you go. Hanging around on forums like this one or over on the Wizards site will teach you a lot about the nitty gritty and people will always be more than happy to tell you what you're doing wrong!

Don't be afraid to GM. Take it in turns of you need to, to see who runs the best games or likes the role best. Good GMing is just a matter of knowing the rules and being creative. Do some improvisational GMing if you don't want to sit down and plan a whole adventure; literally make it up as you go along! Some of the best adventures I've played and GMed have been those that were off the cuff with little forethought. If you get really stuck, the Wizards website has a plethora of free to download of mini-adventures or you can buy published ones that will give you a good intro into GMing.

Seriously, the best way to learn a role-playing game is to dive in the deep end. Think up a story, roll up some characters and start playing. You might not get it "right" first time (in fact you'll probably get lots of things wrong), but as long as you focus on having fun and a bit of a laugh, then the rules can go hang! The beauty of RPGs is that the rules are only there to facilitate the game as best as possible; if the rules don't cover something you want to do, then it doesn't mean you can't do it! Just make up a rule on the spot, or hand-wave it to make it happen. At the end of the day, it's not a board-game or a card-game where there's a definitive end to the game (or indeed a beginning) and someone wins; it's more like telling a story where the rules help determine the outcome.

Anyway, that's my 2p on the subject. Hope you find what you're looking for! :smallwink:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-07, 01:07 PM
Whats the best way to get into dnd, i know several people that played or have played before, and i also have a friend that wants to play.

I know some of the basics but i am not sure how to get started or where the best place to learn is so far ive just read alot of the rules from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

the problem im having is i dont really know where to get a DM that would teach me and my friend how to play.

New players are the best, I've seen many many people learn to love roleplaying in the past few years. Heck, if you live in the Washington DC area, I'd be willing to teach you how to play myself.

RTGoodman
2009-06-07, 01:08 PM
A good place to start is your local hobby store.

I'll second this. The best place to find a store is (1) to grab a phonebook and look up hobby stores in the Yellow Pages; or (2) to go to Wizards of the Coast's Store Locator (http://ww2.wizards.com/StoreAndEventLocator/) and look for ones near you. Either way could work. Heck, if you just tell us a general area of where you're from, chances are someone that's already a member here might be from near you and could help you out even more.

Secondly, realize there are two editions of D&D being played right now. The SRD you've read is for 3.5 Edition, whereas a lot of books you might find now are probably for 4th Edition. The SRD can get you most of your information for 3.5, and the D&D Test Drive (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20090428) does the same for new players for 4E. Both have their flaws and merits (let's not discuss them here, please), but just be sure you know which edition you're playing and which the people you want to play with are using. :smalltongue:

HailDiscordia
2009-06-07, 01:20 PM
If you can find someone to help you (either at a hobby store or through friends, etc..) and DM that would be awesome. If not, talk to your friends about it and roll up some characters and figure out who wants to run the game. The Wizards website has some low level modules that you should check out first. Don't spend a ton of cash on something you may not like.

I guess I disagree with others and think that you should start with core (PH, DMG, and MM) and stick with it for a while until you know what is happening. Fighters are a great class for learning the game, as are rogues. First time out avoid spellcasters (though the sorceror is a solid choice) and classes with animal companions. Your new characters will probably die or get retired soon, don't feel like you are making a long term commitment. Make characters that you like, have fun with it. It's a great game.

Good luck!

TheThan
2009-06-07, 01:52 PM
If you know DMs that won’t teach you how to play, then that’s a good sign that they are not very good Dms. Most good ones are ready, willing and able to teach new people the hobby, it’s the only real way the game grows.

That being said, find the local comic book/hobby game store and ask around, the person who run the place probably knows who Dms.
If that doesn’t work, try the local college, a lot of times there are clubs and groups that gather to play.
Another place to look is the library.
If you know people who play dnd, simply ask them. They should be happy to teach you… see above comment.

Or you can do it the hard way, and buy the books and learn from scratch. Get your buddies together and bumble through a few sessions, you’ll make a ton of mistakes and probably have fairly lame adventures but you’ll learn.

Also reading forums on sites like this will help increase your knowledge. There’s even a Q&A (questions and answers) thread for helping people.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-07, 01:57 PM
Get the books (3.5 or 4E), sit down with your friends, and decide who is going to run the game. The first sessions don't really require that much planning etc. Everyone can learn the rules together, although whoever runs the game should make the biggest effort to read the rules and teach the others.

If some of your friends have prior experience, maybe one of them can run the game.

Harperfan7
2009-06-07, 03:52 PM
Chances are, you already know a bunch of people who play, but don't know it yet. Ask your local nerdy types if they play it.

Yora
2009-06-07, 04:00 PM
I learned D&D all by myself. Grabed a Players Handbook and started reading.
Don't know about 4th Edition, but with 3rd it's definately possible without much trouble, if you have a slight idea about RPGs in general, like what hit points, armor class and the like are.

Random NPC
2009-06-07, 04:23 PM

try asking the nicest, coolest and most knowledgeable person you know that plays or have played before. Usually if it's a nice guy, he'll be a nice teacher. He can tell you how to play and maybe he'll DM for you.

Friends are always your best bet to get players and DMs

Origomar
2009-06-07, 04:29 PM
i know someone who used to play with a group of 5ish about 2 years ago and im trying to see if he can show me the basics but hes pretty busy.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-07, 04:40 PM
Chances are, you already know a bunch of people who play, but don't know it yet. Ask your local nerdy types if they play it.

This is actually really solid advice. Brief anecdote!

It was the day right before the first day of class, my first semester at college. None of my friends from highschool/before had come to this school, so I knew nobody...and I mean nobody. Our school was hosting a free Capitol Steps show for students, and I decided to go. On the way, this friendly, bespectacled guy started talking to me. After talking about some generic nerd stuff (Firefly, etc), I asked him if he played D&D. Not only did he play, but he was the admin for the site that coordinated many of the games on campus. After the show, I went on the site and joined a game, meeting a large group of new friends (it was an 8 player game). Not bad for a nerdy, shy freshman!

The campaign was okay at best, but the people were a blast to hang with, so it kept me coming back for more. I already knew how to play (I started when I was 12), but the advice still stands true.

Prock
2009-06-08, 12:23 AM
try asking the nicest, coolest and most knowledgeable person you know that plays or have played before. Usually if it's a nice guy, he'll be a nice teacher. He can tell you how to play and maybe he'll DM for you.

Friends are always your best bet to get players and DMs

Your so corny sometimes random...
:smalltongue:
But yeah. thats your best option, basicly thats what happened to me. I asked around college and met Random, he included me in a campaing he had going at the time and the rest is history. (Btw, he is still anoyed at me and my love for bards)

hewhosaysfish
2009-06-08, 03:53 AM
Hang around and absorb knowledge of DnD though osmosis. Read threads and ask intelligent questions.

Good Lord no! Then he'd learn all our bad habits instead of developing new and exciting bad habit s fhis own. :smallsmile:

Seriously, though, the average content of an internet discussion board is really too far divorced from what actually happens in play to to be a good starting point. It would be like trying to understand a movie solely by listening to the cast commentary on the DVD (without looking at the picture). It's a good tool to provide answers to the bits that bothered you or to point out some (often funny) bits you missed but really, it's not a place to start.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-08, 06:26 AM
Speak for yourself.

My personal character sheet has been min-maxed to such an extent that even my flaws are advantages.

JellyPooga
2009-06-08, 07:15 AM
Speak for yourself.

My personal character sheet has been min-maxed to such an extent that even my flaws are advantages.

Dude...that's not neccesarily a good thing..

The Rose Dragon
2009-06-08, 07:35 AM
I have a funny idea... don't.

Try a different system, like M&M, Unisystem or WoD. They're usually better than D&D and require less knowledge of how not to break a game to play (M&M goes ahead and tells you what can break the game, so it's cool that way).

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-08, 07:37 AM
I have a funny idea... don't.

We have found a blasphemer, may we burn her?

The Rose Dragon
2009-06-08, 07:39 AM
Who is this chick that likes D&D you speak of? Burning gamer chicks is punishable by death (there are so few of them already (weirdly enough, each gaming group I've had in RL had at least one girl in them)).

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-08, 07:44 AM
Who is this chick that likes D&D you speak of? Burning gamer chicks is punishable by death (there are so few of them already (weirdly enough, each gaming group I've had in RL had at least one girl in them)).

Ah, the ancient debating technique of proving your point by disproving it!

The Rose Dragon
2009-06-08, 07:49 AM
Well, if she is a blasphemer, she must be playing D&D. And if she is a she... well...

Oh, wait, you were talking about how I said gamer girls are rare. Never mind then.

P.S. I'm a guy.