PDA

View Full Version : Only for the pure of soul...

Maryring
2006-05-09, 05:13 AM
(Say hello to Mia Isaigyoi, my pure mage.)

Class name: Pure Mage

Class Nature: A Pure Mage is a person who has devoted herself to purity in all forms. She is kind and caring and uses her power of purity to protect and guide others towards good.

Role: Pure Mages act as protectors and healers. As their body weakens, they get supreme power over their own purity and the purity of others, eventually this makes them beings of pure purity.

Alignment: Pure Mages are always good.

Relationships: A Pure Mage gets along with everyone who strives towards purity of soul.

Religion: Pure Mages almost always worship a good god or goddess. Those who don't worship a good god do not worship at all.

Classes: A Pure Mage is always either a Druid, a Cleric or a Wizard.

Prerequisites:
Skills: Heal 6 ranks, Knowledge Nature OR Knowledge Religion 12 ranks, Spellcraft 12 ranks.
Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Abstinence, Vow of Chastity, Vow of Purity.
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast spells through preparation.
Alignment: Any good.
Special: To become a Pure Mage, the character can only have one class before taking a level of Pure Mage. If a Pure Mage ever takes a level in a class other than Pure Mage or her base class she loses all abilities granted through the Pure Mage class.

Skills: The Pure Mage class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (con), Craft (int), Diplomacy (cha), Gather Information (cha), Handle Animal (cha), Heal (wis), Knowledge Arcane (int), Knowledge Nature (int), Knowledge Religion (int), Knowledge The Planes (int), Sense Motive (wis), Spellcraft (int), Use Magic Device (cha).

Pure Mages receive (2+int mod) of skill points.

Key Abilities: A Pure Mage requires Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma to make the most of her abilities.

Hit Die: d6

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Detect Impurity, Sacred Touch.
2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Divine Purity. Spells Of Purity.
3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Refreshing touch.
4 +2 +1 +1 +4 Child Of Purity.
5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Sacred Garment.
6 +3 +2 +2 +5 Purity Of Body.
7 +3 +2 +2 +5 Soul Mind.
8 +4 +2 +2 +6 Diamond Body.
9 +4 +3 +3 +6 Diamond Soul.
10 +5 +3 +3 +7 Ascension Of Purity.

Class Features: All of the following are class features of the Pure Mage.

Weapons and Armour Proficiency: Pure Mages gain no new proficiencies.

Special: A Pure Mage forswears the use of impure metals. She is only allowed to use weapons made out of silver and wear armour made out of wood or mithral. She is not allowed to carry or use poisons of any kind, including ravages and afflictions.

Spells: When a new Pure Mage level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of Pure Mage to the level of the base spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.

Detect Impurity (su): A Pure Mage can detect all poisons and diseases within thirty feet of her. She is aware of the effect of the poison or disease, its exact location and its potency.

Sacred Touch (su): A Pure Mage is allowed to touch dead bodies to give them a sacred funeral. This funeral prevents the dead body from being raised as an undead and allows the Pure Mage to touch a dead body for this purpose without losing the benefits of her "Vow of Purity" feat. She still has to purify herself in a ritual that requires one hour and a flask of holy water afterwards.

Divine Purity (su): At second level, a Pure Mage adds her charisma bonus to all will and fortitude saves.

Spells Of Purity (ex): At second level, a Pure Mage gains the feat “Purify spell” for free. She can also purify a number of spells equal to her Pure Mage level without increasing their level.

Refreshing Touch (su): At third level, a Pure Mage can cure a disease or poison simply by touching the afflicted creature. She can use this ability a number of times each day equal to 3 + her charisma modifier.

Child Of Purity (ex): At fourth level, a Pure Mage gains a +4 to saves against poisons, diseases, charms and compulsions and 5 points resistance to electricity and cold.

Sacred Garment (su): At fifth level, the soul of the Pure Mage weaves a holy garment to her. This holy garment is usually coloured blue and white for females and green and purple for males. The Sacred Garment gives the Pure Mage a +1 unnamed bonus to armour class and has a holy silvered symbol on it. In addition it gives the Pure Mage and everyone within twenty feet of her immunity to inhaled poisons and diseases. If the Sacred Garment is destroyed, it reforms within one day over the body of the Pure Mage.

Purity Of Body (ex): At sixth level, a Pure Mage gains immunity to all diseases except supernatural and magical diseases.

Soul Mind (su): At seventh level, a Pure Mage can detect charms and compulsions like she can detect poisons and diseases, and dispel them with her Refreshing Touch.

Diamond Body (ex): At eight level, a Pure Mage gains immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Diamond Soul: At ninth level, a Pure Mage gains spell resistance equal to her hit die + 10.

Ascension Of Purity: At tenth level, a Pure Mage has attained such high level of purity that her body changes. Her type changes to Outsider with the good subtype. She gains dark vision out to 60 feet and does no longer need to eat or sleep. She still has to rest eight hours to regain her spells however, and she can no longer be raised by reincarnation, raise dead or resurrection. She does not die of old age and gains immunity to energy drain. In addition, her looks change to that of a young adult of her species and she gains the feat "Nimbus of light" for free. The light shed from this feat is changed into blue for females and purple for males. If she already has the feat "Nimbus of Light", she can choose either the feat "Stigmata" or "Holy Radiance" for free, even if she does not meet the prerequisites.

Cubey
2006-05-09, 07:51 AM
Seems a bit weak for me. But I'm aware it's not a combat-based class.
How does Sacred Touch work? I don't have the BoED, so what does exactly a sacred burial do?
Ascension of Purity has one major drawback - inability to be ressurected. Let's face it, in high-level campaings death is something that just... happens.

By the way, I hope you found a new role-playing group?

Gerrtt
2006-05-09, 07:53 AM
I assumed that sacred touch kept dead bodies from being used for necromantic reanimation or something...am I right?

Corestimah
2006-05-09, 08:01 AM
It's to allow them to be able to touch the dead without breaking the terms of the Vow of Purity feat. I forget the benefit it grants (likely a bonus on saves vs energy drain or the like), but it forbids you from touching corpses, on pain of losing the use of the feat forever (all vow of X feats have conditions that result in their eternal loss).

Gerrtt
2006-05-09, 08:03 AM
Ah, see, I dont have BoED. That makes sense too.

Maryring
2006-05-09, 10:49 AM
Nope, haven't found a new group yet. I have some friends on the opposite side of the country that I'm going to play with through an online chatroom, but not a new group unfortunately.

Anyway, Corestima is correct on the "Sacred Touch". I always found it strange that Vow of Purity prevented you from giving a body a sacred funeral, so instead of houseruling it, I think it fits better as an unique class ability.

On the weakness part... I actually have to agree. Compared to it's intended class (cleric) it still seems to come out weaker because you lose six ability points and gain abilities that are easily mimicked by spells and magic items. Furthermore, your HD lowers and so does your BAB, and you need the most useless feat ever to enter it. (Vow of abstinence never works, because it gives you a +4 on fortitude save against drugs, but whenever you inject a drug, even unwillingly, you lose the benefit of the feat.) If I should compare it to PrCs, then I doubt I'd choose it for any other reason than the fluff, which I have wisely avoided to post.

Everyman
2006-05-09, 11:40 AM
I'm confused as to the purpose of "Weak Body". Generally speaking, classes that introduce penalties to ability scores do so because the class is doing something inheriently bad to you. For example, the Alienist slowly reduces your Wisdom because of the toll consorting with twisted, alien beings does to your psyche.

Purity shouldn't weaken the body. If anything, it should grant extra HP (you're extremely healthy by keeping yourself pure) or a bonus on saving throws (which you have).

If you remove the Weak Body feature, I believe the class will no longer suffer from being underpowered. If you insist that a Pure Mage's actions cause their bodies to weaken, then I would suggest you limit it to penalizing Strength. Recieving a permanent -1 at 3rd and 7th level would be about right.

EDIT: You might want to add in a "does not take aging penalties" clause to ascension. It just seems to fit the flavor of an everlasting servant of purity, in my opinion.

Otherwise, everything looks really good.

The_Pyre
2006-05-10, 02:05 AM
At the risk of sounding like a munchkin, I suggest a bonus to Wis, Int, or Cha to offset Weak Body. That, or Tarkahn's suggestion works fine. ;D

Another suggestion: how about a lay on hands ability? It could heal around (Pure Mage levels + 1/2 Cle/Dru/Wiz levels) * Cha mod HP, or maybe even Cha*levels HP would be good. That ought to make healing redundant all the way. :D

And I especially liked how immunity to diseases started out as a +4 save bonus. And how various monk abilities managed to find their way here, while making even more sense. :)

Dragonmuncher
2006-05-10, 12:48 PM
I suggest you get rid of Weak Body.

Also:

Special: A Pure Mage forswears the use of impure metals. She is only allowed to use weapons made out of silver and wear armour made out of wood or mithral. She is not allowed to carry or use poisons of any kind, including ravages and afflictions.

Not positive, but does this prevent wizards from wearing a robe of some sort? Seeing as they don't usually wear armor, forcing them to would be a bad idea.

Maryring
2006-05-10, 04:18 PM
No it doesn't. She just has to remember and prepare enough prestigidations to keep it clean, and it has to be mono coloured. And it must be woven by one single material. As long as the garment is pure, as far as I know, Silver and Mithral are the purest metals in the DnD universe, she can wear it as much as she wants.

Orion-the-G
2006-05-10, 04:24 PM
Isn't that getting a little semantic with the term 'pure'? I could understand a requirement for something to be unadorned and unstained (humility and cleanliness) but why force them to be of a homogenous material?

Also, there really isn't any such thing as a 'pure' silver weapon, it would be impossible to use. D+D uses alchemical silver which is arguably less pure than a simple iron weapon.

Also, you mention they can use mithral and wooden armor, what about wooden or mithral weapons? I don't see why a staff would be unnaceptable.

Maryring
2006-05-10, 04:34 PM
Silver is still considered to be pure no? Even if it is used in a weapon as a... well I forgot the english word, but you probably know what I mean. Seriously, I couldn't strip her of using weapons at all could I? :) And it is only cloth items that must be made of one material.

And you can still use mithral and wooden weapons. I thought a bit too much about Mia, and too little on the actual class when I wrote that.

(Mia is the character I need this class for.)

Anyway, I think it is much better now.

Winged One
2006-05-10, 07:48 PM
The word is "alloy," I believe. Also, why does it exclude spontanious casters?

Steward
2006-05-10, 08:04 PM
The word is "alloy," I believe. Also, why does it exclude spontanious casters?

Because spontaneous casters are sinful.

I like the Pure Mage. It's rather cool, and I like the Outsider finish. Very monk.