PDA

View Full Version : Apostle of Peace Armor question

penbed400
2009-06-07, 12:51 PM
In the BoED there is a prestige class called apostle of peace where the pre-requisites for the class is the be of any good alignment, base will of +5 and to have the feats Sacred Vow, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace and Vow of Poverty.

Pretty cool set up but one of the things about Vow of Poverty is that you can not hold anything that is too expensive and basically to go around in rags. Which is fine because I think the feat makes up for it. I just got a little confused when I continued reading through the class and under weapon proficiency it says

"Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Apostles of peace gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

As part of their sacred vows, apostles of peace forswear the use of armor, though they may wear magic items that protect them (such as a ring of protection or bracers of armor). An apostle of peace who wears any armor is unable to cast apostle of peace spells or use any of his supernatural class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter."

Does this mean that even though you have the Vow of Poverty you can wear protective magic items? Seems a little cheesy to me. Especially since a good Vow of Poverty, Vow of Peace, Vow of Nonviolence and Sacred Vow character can already get his AC up to a rousing 44, plus the chance of weapons just shattering on their skin anyways because of the Vow of Peace. So am I reading this wrong or can you actually wear protective magic items?

RTGoodman
2009-06-07, 01:02 PM
At first glance, I would think it's just sloppy editing (surprise, surprise) on WotC's part. The class probably started out without the Vow of Poverty requirement, and when it got added in they didn't think to change that.

Now that I read it though, I'm not sure. As a DM, I wouldn't allow them to use magical protective items, but your DM might.

Gorbash
2009-06-07, 01:37 PM
What would be the point? The untyped AC bonus of Vow of Poverty clearly states that it doesn't stack with armor bonus.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-07, 02:52 PM
The character could have taken VoP because it's a prerequisite, but doesn't actually live in poverty so he doesn't gain any of its benefits. In that case, he would still be able to use magic items such as the ones mentioned. It in no way implies that a character could use magic items while benefiting from poverty.

Dagren
2009-06-07, 03:15 PM
What would be the point? The untyped AC bonus of Vow of Poverty clearly states that it doesn't stack with armor bonus.Well an amulet of natural armour doesn't give an armour bonus. Were you overlooking that, or is it more general?