PDA

View Full Version : [4] Spike Chains and Shiney Things

FatherMalkav
2009-06-07, 02:07 PM
So in the 4th ed campaign I'm currently in our Defender has recently dropped out. This leaves two ranged strikers and my Bard functioning as the tank. As you can guess, I'm planning for an early death. With this in mind I've begun designing a second character (as have the other two players) and I'm looking about being a proper defender or maybe a striker and letting one of the strikers try the defender role.

With the release of Dragon magazine 372 I can play the Shadar-Kai with much more depth. Looking over the new Spike Chain Mastery feat chain i decided to give it a try. Here's (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=131116) the build so far, my question is how can I improve it? I'm open to changing anything but the chosen weapon and the race, and to be honest I'd prefer a striker build I'm ok with a Defender as well.

For those that don't know; Spike Chain Training makes me proficient with the spiked chain. I treat the spiked chain as a double weapon and a light blade (Swordmage here I come) with the off hand property. As a Ranger Expert Chainfighter lets me shift between attacks with Twin Strike, so I can retain some mobility with my reach and threaten most of the battlefield.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-07, 02:59 PM
Weapon Expertise (Light Blade) would probably be a better idea than Toughness, off the top of my head.
Winterkin gives you +1 to FORT as well.

FatherMalkav
2009-06-07, 06:44 PM
Thanks, I forgot the FORT in the transfer. Toughness is meh, but it comes free from the Ranger's Two Weapon Style class feature.

Gawaeyn
2009-06-07, 09:00 PM
Endurance? I think you mean toughness. :smalltongue:

Any reason for the high Con? Other than high hp and surges, I mean? You're using light armor, so you need a high Dex. Or Int, but what ranger has Int? :smallwink:

If you still want more hp, you could take the 'Born Under a Bad SIgn' or 'Auspicious Birth' Scales of War backgrounds from Dragon 366. They basically allow you to use you highest ability score for determining hp. Yeah. :smallbiggrin:

FatherMalkav
2009-06-07, 09:13 PM
The con was for the HP and surges. Dex was the other option for a higher AC so it was kind of up in the air. The character goal, like I said, was to be moble, so I may scrap the fighting style for Ranged so I can get free Defensive Mobility. I'm shying from Backgrounds as most of the group is new and the DM doesn't know them that well; one thing at a time.

Gawaeyn
2009-06-07, 11:48 PM
The con was for the HP and surges. Dex was the other option for a higher AC so it was kind of up in the air. The character goal, like I said, was to be moble, so I may scrap the fighting style for Ranged so I can get free Defensive Mobility. I'm shying from Backgrounds as most of the group is new and the DM doesn't know them that well; one thing at a time.

Ah, I see. But with Archer style, you wouldn't be able to fill a defender role. :smallsigh: And it would seem implausible for an archer to wield a spiked chain. :smalltongue: Perhaps beastmaster?

Also, if your group is new, are they familiar with Dragon material?

Asbestos
2009-06-08, 11:17 AM
Ah, I see. But with Archer style, you wouldn't be able to fill a defender role. :smallsigh: And it would seem implausible for an archer to wield a spiked chain. :smalltongue: Perhaps beastmaster?

If you're going to be using a spiked chain then beastmaster is probably best. By wielding the spiked chain you are effectively wasting your TWF class features (ability to wield non-off hand weapons in the off hand) but if you give up the granted Toughness and Prime Shot (which doesn't matter since you're in melee) you gain an animal companion and can still take all of the Two Weapon powers for your spiked chain. You can also get a sweet shadow companion via a feat from the same Shadar-kai article.

For companions... I'd say bear or lizard since you're trying to fill the defender role.

FatherMalkav
2009-06-08, 12:48 PM
I'd completely disregarded the Beastmaster build, I'll go back and take a closer look at it. I saw the Shadow feat but again, skipped it for the same reasons, a rereading may be in order. The DM allows Dragon material and both him and I make Dragon suggestions to the other players, but I'm the only one with regular access to them.

Asbestos
2009-06-08, 01:06 PM
Oh, I think that expert chainfighter helps out fighters using dual strike as well (right?) A shadar-kai tempest fighter with a spiked chain isn't a bad build either.

FatherMalkav
2009-06-08, 01:11 PM
Yeah, it treats Duel strike and Twin Strike the same; you can shift one square before, during, or after the first strike. With the range (which I need to find some way to increase while keeping my race) that lets me hit men up to 5 hexes apart with a single move. (the DM uses a hex map instead of a square; I prefer it)

The tempest fighter is tempted, and so is the Swordmage. With Spiked Chain Training the weapon becomes a light blade in my hand, allowing a Swordmage to wield it and use it as his bonded weapon.