PDA

View Full Version : Clerics burning Turn Undead for more powerfull spells?

Da Pwnzlord
2009-06-07, 06:14 PM
I was just read somewhere that Clerics can "burn uses of Turn Undead to increase their spellcasting power exponentially" Is this an exaggeration, or is there really a way to do this? If so, how?

AslanCross
2009-06-07, 06:18 PM
Divine Metamagic, a feat from Complete divine. Instead of preparing the spell in a higher level spell slot, you burn the number of Turn Undead uses equal to the spell's enhanced level to apply the metamagic feat.

With Nightsticks (Libris Mortis), you get free Turn attempts per day.

Eldariel
2009-06-07, 06:19 PM
What fits the image more is Divine Spell Power. This burns a Turn Undead attempt to increase your caster level by up to 4 for a single spell.

Silvermoon
2009-06-18, 08:44 AM
I have a question concerning that.

One of my player took Divine Spell Power. That increase your caster level for the next spell.

his turn undead check start at 9 (cha+religion(5 ranks)+Glory domain+divine holy symbol) (3+2+2+2) + 1d20. So the minimum of the result is his level and more.

This feat with the spell Holy Word cause me a lot of problem recently and want to be sure of the result. Does it affect the caster level of this spell or I'm doom to see the same result over and over?

Eldariel
2009-06-18, 09:23 AM
Divine Spell Power works with Holy Word-line just fine. It's worth noting though that Holy Word affects everyone within range so if there are party members with incompatible alignments, they're affected too. Also, many monsters have much more HD than CR so they're pretty resilient to Holy Word. Finally, do note that Holy Word is affected by Spell Resistance.

Also note that the table goes like this:
"Opponents with HD equal to CL = Deafened
Opponents with HD equal to CL-1 or less = Deafened, Blinded
Opponents with HD equal to CL-5 or less = Deafened, Blinded, Paralyzed
Opponents with HD equal to CL-10 or less = Deafened, Blinded, Paralyzed, Killed"

Many misread the table so they apply Paralysis to creatures with HD = CL - 2 to 4 too, even though those creatures should only be Deafened and Blinded. Make no mistake, it's an awesome spell, but deafness has little meaning in-combat, and many creatures have spells or auxillary senses that make blindness trivial, and even Paralysis is something some creatures are immune to (and some spells offer immunity to).

So it shouldn't break anything as long as you toss the occasional High HD opposition at them along with people protected by relevant spell resistance, and people not troubled that much by Deafness/Blindness. Also, Horizon Walker PrC (Core) can grant immunity to those spells, so mayhap have some Horizon Walker antagonists around?

Douglas
2009-06-18, 09:41 AM
Also, Horizon Walker PrC (Core) can grant immunity to those spells, so mayhap have some Horizon Walker antagonists around?
Or just someone who's cast Greater Spell Immunity. Whenever I get access to that spell, the Holy Word variants opposed to my alignment are always at the top of the list for what I choose to be immune to unless I know in advance that I won't be facing them.

woodenbandman
2009-06-18, 09:47 AM
Greater Spell Immunity is hax.

Scenario: Archivist casts CL 28 mass spell resistance. Archivist casts CL 28 greater spell immunity (Temporal Stasis).

DM: roll to overcome SR...fail
DM: roll to overcome SR...success! make a will save!

Me: No, I cast greater spell immunity prior to this. I've still got like 5 immunities left.

DM: fff---

Silvermoon
2009-06-18, 10:30 AM
The problem is more when it's many encounter with same level and they are not "monsters" but real NPC opponents. It seems I will have to suffer and put more counter spells to this.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-18, 03:53 PM
Greater Spell Immunity is hax.

Scenario: Archivist casts CL 28 mass spell resistance. Archivist casts CL 28 greater spell immunity (Temporal Stasis).

DM: roll to overcome SR...success! make a will save!

Me: No, I cast greater spell immunity prior to this. I've still got like 5 immunities left.

DM: fff---DM: Orb of Fire. Maximized, Split, Empowered. SR says what?

Also, there's a reason I generally ban the Holy Word line. It's rediculously easy to boost caster level. Players would revolt if you used it, so why should you be accepting?

Glimbur
2009-06-18, 05:28 PM
The problem is more when it's many encounter with same level and they are not "monsters" but real NPC opponents. It seems I will have to suffer and put more counter spells to this.

Silence can protect from Holy Word. I thought Energy Immunity Sonic would work, but according to Spell Compendium it only covers damage. Heck, sending deaf people against the party would make them immune to it, if I'm reading it right:
Any nongood creature within the area that hears the holy word suffers the following ill effects.

Silvermoon
2009-06-19, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the hint with "silence". It's better that then sending deaf people. Less problem to find one. :-D

Zeful
2009-06-19, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the hint with "silence". It's better that then sending deaf people. Less problem to find one. :-D

"Can you hear me now?"

Sebastian
2009-06-19, 04:05 PM

A little wax or cotton in the ears can solve that easily.