2009-06-07, 06:40 PM
Everything is up against its nearest counterpart:

Samus Aran vs. Master Chief
Galactic Federation vs. UNSC
Space Pirates vs. Covenant
Chozo vs. Forerunners
Metroids, X Parasite, Ing Horde or Phazon vs. The Flood
Metroids vs. Sentinels/Enforcers

Some of them seem pretty one-sided, while others are more iffy. The Chozo did a better job of containing X than the Forerunners did of containing The Flood (certainly there was less collateral damage), but they discovered it early in its development.

The quality of the games themselves is not being judged, so don't bring it up.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-06-07, 06:42 PM
Winner: the audience (http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/haloid/57998?id=57998)

DraPrime
2009-06-07, 06:42 PM
Errrr, what powerups does Samus have? What weapons does Master Chef have? How are the various fights occuring? You need to consider such things to make a good versus thread.

lordofthe_wog
2009-06-07, 06:44 PM
Does Ms Aran have her full weapons load out? Missiles, super missiles, Ice Beam, Grapple Beam, etc? If so, she's going to rip Chief into squares and dine on his flesh to gain his strength. However, if she has base weaponry, being her blaster thing and nothing else, well, Chief is going to win this, although it wouldn't be easy.

Edit: Ninja'd!

chiasaur11
2009-06-07, 06:44 PM
Winner: the audience (http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/haloid/57998?id=57998)

Dang right. I remember seeing that video linked on Penny Arcade. Good times.

ninja_penguin
2009-06-07, 06:51 PM
Done with very little knowledge of Halo backstory beyond watching somebody play all three games. I myself have played most of the Metroid games.

Even money in my opinion. I think they're both so equipment dependent/ advantage of surprise that it'd be all over the place. I think you could set up so many 'Samus pwns Master Chief' and 'Master Chief pwns Samus' scenarios that it would just become a mental exercise in goofiness.

Even money, leaning towards the UNSC. They seem to actually have forces running around and doing some good when their main character doesn't have to save the day. Although in Metroid Prime 3 I was rather happy to see that the Galactic Federation actually had capital ships, etc.

I think I"m leaning full Covenant on this one. Space pirates never struck me as particularly competent.

Chozo vs. Forerunners

I'm guessing Forerunners, as they left behind the Halo rings. (avoiding spoilers). The Chozo seem to have just left behind a lot of spare/replacement parts for Samus to pick up.

Metroids vs the Flood

Depends on who can effect who. If the infection forms can infect the later metroid forms, Flood wins. If alpha metroids can kill the flood by draining them, maybe metroids. Can't Omega or some sort of metroid breathe fire? Been a while since I played Metroid II. If they can, add a few more points for metroids

Ing horde vs the Flood

Null set, I don't know where the Ing come from.

X parasite vs the Flood

How would we be able to tell who won? Either way, we're doomed. Especially when the MC-X gets up and running.

Phazon vs the Flood

Likewise, how would we tell who won? Either way, phazon corrupted or phazon-powered flood, we're doomed.

Null set, I don't know what the sentinels/enforces are.

lordofthe_wog
2009-06-07, 06:54 PM
Likewise, how would we tell who won? Either way, phazon corrupted or phazon-powered flood, we're doomed.

I've had nightmares made of Phazon-Flood.

Llama231
2009-06-07, 07:07 PM
Easy win for Samus. This is a very well-known match-up, and Samus wins every time that I know of.

I would go with the feds here, but not as easily.

Iffy.

Chozo vs. Forerunners
Chozo>Practically Everything

Once again, hard to tell who won.

Can the Sentinels/Enforcers freeze tons of stuff? If not, they are screwed.

I think that Samus could probably take out the entire Halo universe of those things with just the screw attack.
Of course, I am heavily biased toward Metroid.

Prime32
2009-06-07, 07:26 PM
I think I"m leaning full Covenant on this one. Space pirates never struck me as particularly competent.
Space Pirate troopers seem roughly equivalent to extremely twitchy Elites with less tactical ability. The Pirates have better "special units" though - Elite Pirate > Hunter. Ridley > Tartarus.

Depends on who can effect who. If the infection forms can infect the later metroid forms, Flood wins. If alpha metroids can kill the flood by draining them, maybe metroids. Can't Omega or some sort of metroid breathe fire? Been a while since I played Metroid II. If they can, add a few more points for metroids
Metroid cells automatically kill any X which tries to infect them, so they might possess a resistance to Flood.

Null set, I don't know where the Ing come from.
Metroid Prime 2 - they're basically demons shaped like giant warped hands who can hop between dimensions, melt into black ooze, and possess things to greatly increase their strength.

Null set, I don't know what the sentinels/enforces are.Sentinels are the anti-Flood robots on Halo. Enforcers (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Enforcer) are the giant versions.

Chozo vs. Forerunners
Chozo>Practically Everything
Have the Chozo ever built a Dyson Sphere, or a ship like the one in High Charity (let alone a Halo)? They are also probably outnumbered.

I would go with the feds here, but not as easily.We don't know much about GF technology. Their FTL travel seems to be faster than the UNSC's though, given how casually it is used.

Linkavitch
2009-06-08, 06:50 PM

Gonna assume that both have mildly powered-up stuff and everything. Like 50% of their respective items. Samus wins. Like someone else said, Samus rips Master Chief to shreds.

Not having played the Prime games, and not having much backstory on either of these, 50/50.

Covenant. Too good of an army. But, like I said, I haven't played the Prime games, so that might change.

Chozo vs. Forerunners

50/50

Flood.

Sentinels.

Prime32
2009-06-08, 07:23 PM

Flood.

Sentinels.
Can you elaborate on these?

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-08, 07:48 PM
What about Samus vs a squad of Spartans?

Seraph
2009-06-08, 08:26 PM
Have the Chozo ever built a Dyson Sphere, or a ship like the one in High Charity (let alone a Halo)? They are also probably outnumbered.

the Chozo never actually needed anything like that because they have an apparent grasp of energy beyond almost anything known by modern science. I'm talking using Star Trek-style energy transportation and manipulation to its fullest extent, beyond anything shown in Halo.

TakeV
2009-06-08, 08:41 PM
Depends. Is the difficulty legendary? And is Samus going for 100% completion?

Mando Knight
2009-06-08, 08:44 PM
What about Samus vs a squad of Spartans?

What's Sammy's loadout? If it's 100% completion from any of the Metroid games, she'll probably mop the floor with 'em. Especially if it's 100% complete from MP3, since the Spartans don't have anything to stop Hypermode.

Just from judging by the games' gameplay, I'd suggest Samus, especially if it's a long-term fight. Samus tends to be a lot more agile in combat, and doesn't depend on expendable ammunition (except for her Missiles, but she can carry up to 255 of them...). She also occasionally gets weapons that travel through walls and/or freeze enemies in place for a quick dispatch with a Missile (or Beam in MP3 or Fusion). On top of that, she usually acquires a massive energy buffer while on the job, while Master Chief gets stuck with the same amount of shielding throughout the entire mission.

Dispozition
2009-06-08, 08:59 PM
Depends. Is the difficulty legendary? And is Samus going for 100% completion?

Best post in thread.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-08, 09:01 PM
I'm talking using Star Trek-style energy transportation and manipulation to its fullest extent, beyond anything shown in Halo.

You mean like simultaneously wiping out all sentient life(and selectively only sentient life) in a 25,000 light year radius? Or performing no-charge no-wait short/long range teleportation? The Forerunners are actually pretty on the ball with their tech. Particularly when they built a Dyson Sphere inside a planet which could till support life.

GoC
2009-06-08, 11:22 PM
You mean like simultaneously wiping out all sentient life(and selectively only sentient life) in a 25,000 light year radius?

Small fry compared to what maxed out Trek Tech can do. Of course this is irrelevant to the thread because only a munchkin from our universe would ever conduct such an optimization.

kamikasei
2009-06-09, 02:31 AM
Particularly when they built a Dyson Sphere inside a planet which could till support life.

Please clarify. This seems like a contradiction in terms. (Do you mean that they built a Dyson Sphere within the orbit of a planet?)

Verruckt
2009-06-09, 02:42 AM
Please clarify. This seems like a contradiction in terms. (Do you mean that they built a Dyson Sphere within the orbit of a planet?)

They built a portal to a dyson sphere that exists in hyperspace inside an artificial planet

As for Samus vs. a Spartan, as above it seems she teamed up with a female one, and we don't talk about (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=128) what happened when she met Chief.

kamikasei
2009-06-09, 02:44 AM
They built a portal to a dyson sphere that exists in hyperspace inside an artificial planet

Bah, that's much less impressive than it sounded. No reason the planet shouldn't still be habitable then.

chiasaur11
2009-06-09, 02:51 AM

As for Samus vs. a Spartan, as above it seems she teamed up with a female one, and we don't talk about (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=128) what happened when she met Chief.

Well, Samus doesn't.

The Chief will, after a few beers. Lets him keep up when chilling with Kirk at the space hero bars. Well, not necessarily keep up, but, you know, not feel like a total loser.

Drascin
2009-06-09, 04:25 AM

Easy win for Samus, here. Chief's good, but not THAT good, and the Varia suit has demonstrated a lot more resilience than the Spartan armor has without downtime to recharge, which I doubt these two are going to let each other have.

They're both jobbers. Much more competent ones than those in most series, true, but jobbers in the end. Nobody wins :smallbiggrin:. In fact, many of them will get eaten by the last point in this list to make the point of its dangerousness.

Pretty even. The pirates are less disciplined, but more individually powerful and faster. They also don't have a few theocratic dogmatic aliens stifling them at the top, and are pragmatic to a fault, which means they're scary good at adapting. But the Covenant just has a bigger and more organized army. I'd say the pirates lose big at the open conflict, but then run away and raid the Covenant forevermore, effectively making it an impasse.

Chozo vs. Forerunners

Chozo have better tech, but they are seriously outnumbered. The Chozo, even at their peak, were just not that many. Slightly leaning towards the Forerunners, I'd say.

...everybody loses, the resulting abomination forces the other factions to forget about fighting and team up. Seriously, do you realize what giving the Flood Metroids and Phazon powers would mean?

Verruckt
2009-06-09, 09:16 AM
Bah, that's much less impressive than it sounded. No reason the planet shouldn't still be habitable then.

The impressive bit here being that they BUILT A DAMN PLANET, not to mention the insanity of the scale of a dyson sphere.

Linkavitch
2009-06-09, 10:14 AM
Can you elaborate on these?

Let's see, the flood win cuz they are actual bipeds, that also eat people, and as far as I know, the others (except maybe the Metroids) couldn't defeat them. Also, as farc as I know, the Phazon might just make them stronger.

The Sentinels win, just cuz I really grew to hate the Metroids while playing Zero Mission and the original, and in Halo, they (the Sentinels) didn't really seem all that hard.

Oslecamo
2009-06-09, 10:43 AM
The Sentinels win, just cuz I really grew to hate the Metroids while playing Zero Mission and the original, and in Halo, they (the Sentinels) didn't really seem all that hard.

This is actual an argument in favor of the metroids mind you:smallamused:

On space pirates: They win against their counterpat, because altough indeed lacking on discipline, they have the guts to stand up against SAMUS ARAN, HEROINE OF THE FEDERATION, and they last more than a split second when fighting her, whereas Covenant guys, what, can be one-shoted by knives? One space pirate comander would probably tear apart a whole covenant squad, just stabbing them with his own knive.

Mando Knight
2009-06-09, 10:48 AM
Let's see, the flood win cuz they are actual bipeds, that also eat people, and as far as I know, the others (except maybe the Metroids) couldn't defeat them. Also, as farc as I know, the Phazon might just make them stronger.
Phazon would make them stronger. And corrupted. Dark Samus would then use the Flood's Gravemind instead of Aurora 313, and the final boss fight would be that much harder.

The X are undefeatable by the zombie-making Flood, since the only known way to defeat them is to send metroids after them. The UNSC and the Federation would be destroyed quickly by Gravemind-X, and its lieutenants MC-X and Arbiter-X. If the multiverse gets lucky, Metroid-infused Samus gets the vaccine to Arbiter and Master Chief in time to lay the smackdown on their parasitic doppelgangers. Otherwise, they're all doomed.

The Ing would win against the Flood, if only because the Flood doesn't have an effective way of snuffing out the Ing Emperor. Fortunately, this scenario doesn't lead to a gestalt abomination, since the Ing seem to be restricted to Aether.

The metroids can mop the floor with the Flood, especially the more resilient Zebes and SR388 strains. Once the Flood tries to assimilate the 'troids, they get sapped into brittle husks, ready for some intrepid adventurer to stumble over them, where they immediately collapse into piles of dust. If the metroids manage to enter the Omega phase, then there's probably nothing the Flood can do to stop them.

Ah, see, this is where you decide that the metroids win. If these are Zebes or SR388 bred 'troids, and the Sentinels don't have freezing weapons, the 'troids will just sap them of their energy and leave them as a brittle husk.

Prime32
2009-06-09, 11:13 AM
The Ing would win against the Flood, if only because the Flood doesn't have an effective way of snuffing out the Ing Emperor. Fortunately, this scenario doesn't lead to a gestalt abomination, since the Ing seem to be restricted to Aether.If it wasn't for Samus, the Ing would have stolen all the energy of Aether, causing it to collapse into nothingness and be replaced by Dark Aether. At this point, the Ing start possessing spaceships and head off to infect other worlds.

Mando Knight
2009-06-09, 11:20 AM
If it wasn't for Samus, the Ing would have stolen all the energy of Aether, causing it to collapse into nothingness and be replaced by Dark Aether. At this point, the Ing start possessing spaceships and head off to infect other worlds.

Oops. You're right. Then we've got another gestalt abomination.

Zeful
2009-06-09, 12:36 PM
If the multiverse gets lucky, Metroid-infused Samus gets the vaccine to Arbiter and Master Chief in time to lay the smackdown on their parasitic doppelgangers. Otherwise, they're all doomed.

If Master Chief and the Arbiter got infected, and Fusion Samus came to the rescue, there would be no MC-X and Arbiter-X because unlike Samus' suit (which was removed before the injection of the metroid genome), there are no biological parts in the their armor.

Prime32
2009-06-09, 12:57 PM
If Master Chief and the Arbiter got infected, and Fusion Samus came to the rescue, there would be no MC-X and Arbiter-X because unlike Samus' suit (which was removed before the injection of the metroid genome), there are no biological parts in the their armor.Ironically, Samus is probably more vulnerable to Flood infection than the Master Chief (since there are organic parts on the outside of her suit), while MC is more vulnerable to Ing possession (no latent psychic powers and conditioned to follow orders).

Innis Cabal
2009-06-09, 01:11 PM
Ing Masterchief would be pretty kick ass

Kyouhen
2009-06-09, 01:26 PM
This is actual an argument in favor of the metroids mind you:smallamused:

On space pirates: They win against their counterpat, because altough indeed lacking on discipline, they have the guts to stand up against SAMUS ARAN, HEROINE OF THE FEDERATION DESTROYER OF WORLDS, and they last more than a split second when fighting her, whereas Covenant guys, what, can be one-shoted by knives? One space pirate comander would probably tear apart a whole covenant squad, just stabbing them with his own knive.

You messed up Samus's title, so I fixed it for you 'kay? :smallbiggrin:

Samus would win this easily if she's got half of her full load. Chief's limited to what, two guns? Samus' weapons are far more versatile and she'd easily be able to take down Chief when he runs out of ammo.

This one's a little fuzzy. Neither really seem to do much as far as I can tell...

Pirates. As mentioned in the quote above the Pirates are dealing with someone who takes out entire planets to stop them, so they automatically get bonus points for that. The Covenant may be better organized and have more numbers, but a basic Pirate's already superior to the little grunts so I don't see that changing much. Not to mention the Pirates have Ridley and Kraid. Ridley's brutal enough as it is, but Kraid would level entire armies before he goes down.

Chozo vs. Forerunners
I'm assuming the Forerunners are the guys who built the Halos. It's been a while since I've played so I've forgotten. I'd be leaning a little more towards the Chozo on the grounds that they created a near-invincible being that can suck the energy out of any living creature. Meanwhile the Forerunners thought it would be a good idea to build something that will kill everything else in the universe to stop The Flood from spreading. Maybe it's just me, but that logic seems a little off... Of course the Chozo were severely lacking in numbers, so the Forerunners might still have a good chance against them.

Metroids > The Flood on the grounds that, based on their resilience, the basic ones likely cannot be infected and would need to be frozen to be killed.
X Parasite > The Flood on the grounds that without a Metroid around you can't permanently get rid of X. Throw all the fodder you want at them, they still aren't dying. I doubt they could be infected either.
Ing Horde < The Flood on the grounds that as far as I can remember about the Ing they aren't near as numerous as The Flood and they are vulnerable to basic weaponry. All The Flood would have to do is wait for them to materialize then tear them apart.
Phazon > The Flood on the grounds that the only reason it mutates just about anything is because the Space Pirates were tampering with it. On it's own the radiation tends to kill off most living things and I'm willing to bet that The Flood wouldn't be able to survive long enough for the mutation to kick in. Gravemind might, but most of his army wouldn't.

Metroids. The babies would just drain their batteries and anything bigger than the babies can take a massive beating before going down. If one reaches Queen status it'll take an army to stop it.

Mando Knight
2009-06-09, 01:39 PM
If Master Chief and the Arbiter got infected, and Fusion Samus came to the rescue, there would be no MC-X and Arbiter-X because unlike Samus' suit (which was removed before the injection of the metroid genome), there are no biological parts in the their armor.

However, they were both rather physically resilient beings in and of themselves. MC-X and Arbiter-X would at least be physically powerful beings with advanced knowledge of spec ops tactics.

On top of that, the X seem to be capable of copying even inorganic material: SA-X is fully armored even when she enters combat initially as an exposed X, and Nightmare is also fully armored.

Even more frightening, the SA-X reproduced at least 9 extra SA-X... within the space of two hours on faster runs of Fusion.

Zeful
2009-06-09, 02:18 PM
However, they were both rather physically resilient beings in and of themselves. MC-X and Arbiter-X would at least be physically powerful beings with advanced knowledge of spec ops tactics.

On top of that, the X seem to be capable of copying even inorganic material: SA-X is fully armored even when she enters combat initially as an exposed X, and Nightmare is also fully armored.

Even more frightening, the SA-X reproduced at least 9 extra SA-X... within the space of two hours on faster runs of Fusion.

The X kill the host and then mimic it. If there is an MC-X then there is no Master Chief. If Samus made a vaccine for him, and saved him before he was "turned" then there would be no MC-X.

Nightmare was fully armored before X infection, and Samus was affected by the Bag of Spilling (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BagOfSpilling) before the opening cutscene ended. The X simply reassembled her body in the fully powered suit it possessed.

Seraph
2009-06-09, 03:17 PM
You mean like simultaneously wiping out all sentient life(and selectively only sentient life) in a 25,000 light year radius? Or performing no-charge no-wait short/long range teleportation? The Forerunners are actually pretty on the ball with their tech. Particularly when they built a Dyson Sphere inside a planet which could till support life.

I mean the ability to effortlessly convert matter to energy and vice versa, with technology that can be fitted unobtrusively onto a skintight bodysuit, re: any time Samus removes or equips her armor, which seems to involve the suit turning into light and vanishing. note for example that the Varia suit can apparently regenerate its shield reservoir by absorbing pretty much any matter left after killing something. They also created the metroids, monstrous little biological horrors that they are, and - this is the important part - never once lost control of their creation, unlike every other predecessor race in almost all fiction.

Justin B.
2009-06-09, 03:55 PM
I always like to compare Samus to Chief from the books. There is additional equipment that would be available to the Chief that is not included in the games for the sake of balance/gameplay. For instance, things like jetpacks are mentioned, as well as nukes and a variety of other thing that somewhat levels the fight. Not to mention the inclusion of the new Power-ups in Halo 3 can really level it.

Say, Chief spots Samus and hits her with a Power Drain, before putting two sniper rounds into her faceplate?

As long as it's not a big empty room where they are duking it out together, Chief has an advantage in that he has a ton of stealth skills and can kill from much farther than Samus with alot of his weapons.

Not to mention, Spartans don't run solo, generally, Chief does it in the games because he has to, until he meets up wtih Arbiter. If it were Chiefs squad vrs Samus?

Lots of neat little things to consider.

Kyouhen
2009-06-09, 04:42 PM
I always like to compare Samus to Chief from the books. There is additional equipment that would be available to the Chief that is not included in the games for the sake of balance/gameplay. For instance, things like jetpacks are mentioned, as well as nukes and a variety of other thing that somewhat levels the fight. Not to mention the inclusion of the new Power-ups in Halo 3 can really level it.

Say, Chief spots Samus and hits her with a Power Drain, before putting two sniper rounds into her faceplate?

As long as it's not a big empty room where they are duking it out together, Chief has an advantage in that he has a ton of stealth skills and can kill from much farther than Samus with alot of his weapons.

Not to mention, Spartans don't run solo, generally, Chief does it in the games because he has to, until he meets up wtih Arbiter. If it were Chiefs squad vrs Samus?

X-Ray visor + Wave Beam > Stealth

ninja_penguin
2009-06-09, 04:53 PM
X-Ray visor + Wave Beam > Stealth

Like I said, Samus and Master Chief are going to become an exercise in hilarity.

That said, I totally forgot about the various metal Ridley's, I could see him tearing up the covenant pretty bad, although I"m not sure if that'd tip my scales.

Mando Knight
2009-06-09, 04:57 PM
The X simply reassembled her body in the fully powered suit it possessed.

And then produced 9 (or more) copies, apparently including the entire armor suit.

As long as it's not a big empty room where they are duking it out together, Chief has an advantage in that he has a ton of stealth skills and can kill from much farther than Samus with alot of his weapons.Huh. I never would've given the exploration/stealth advantage to MC, since Samus does, y'know, routinely slip into heavily guarded worlds and stations and take them out single-handedly.

And sometimes blows them up.

Well, with the right loadout she does show herself quite capable of handling squads of Pirate Commandos...

Emperor Ing
2009-06-09, 04:58 PM
the Federation's abilities are pretty questionable at best, so I doubt that they can really be used.

The Basic Space Pirate may be pretty weak, but the Pirates get some pretty powerful commandos and similar.
And they don't seem to ever be defeated.

Metroids kill everything. No Question.

Because Samus > Metroids, well, its no question.

I think people are underestimating the Ing Horde. They can possess machines as well as just about any living organism. If they fought the flood, i'm pretty sure Dark Flood Warriors are quite powerful. :smalltongue:
And the reason they don't seem that numerous is because the majority of them were either killed in the wars with the Luminoth, or are currently possessing a creature or machine.

Zeful
2009-06-09, 05:05 PM
Say, Chief spots Samus and hits her with a Power Drain, before putting two sniper rounds into her faceplate?Since he's close enough to throw the power drain at her, he's close enough to get shot by missles, alot of missles.

As long as it's not a big empty room where they are duking it out together, Chief has an advantage in that he has a ton of stealth skills and can kill from much farther than Samus with alot of his weapons.X-ray visor, thermal visor; stealth is pretty useless against Samus. She can detect him from further than he can detect her.

Not to mention, Spartans don't run solo, generally, Chief does it in the games because he has to, until he meets up wtih Arbiter. If it were Chiefs squad vrs Samus?Unless it's a squad of Spartans, I don't think they'd make too much of a difference. A blast of the ice beam might be all that's needed to kill a standard marine.

Lots of neat little things to consider.Yes and in many hostile situations between Samus and Master Chief, Samus will win through sheer technological superiority.

Emperor Ing
2009-06-09, 05:08 PM
I've always seen the Missle Launcher as having the power of a Rocket Launcher. Samus has...a lot of Missles.

Oslecamo
2009-06-09, 05:18 PM

Samus has her own personal space ship.

With missiles able to level down fortresses and a lot of sensor techonlogy

Plus as already refered hypermode makes Samus able to simply srugg off any weapon not phazon based.

Bring on your personal squad and snipers. Maybe you can tickle Samus. Maybe.

Do I need to remember how Samus can curl herself up into a tiny ball and slip unnoticed inside any tunnels or cracks behind enemy lines and then drop out her own personal mini nukes?

Think for it a moment. You're comparing a elite trooper that needs a lot of backup to get his job done to a solo bounty hunter wich enters fortified planets and blows them up as part of her job.

Zeful
2009-06-09, 05:20 PM
I've always seen the Missle Launcher as having the power of a Rocket Launcher. Samus has...a lot of Missles.

Probably less, actually, the war head on Samus' missles are smaller than Halo's, but she can fire them much, much faster than MC could, so missles are still a solid advantage to Miss Aran.

Prime32
2009-06-09, 05:21 PM
Oh, and based on the damage values in MP2 multiplayer, a fully-upgraded Samus can survive about 90 of her own missiles without dying (and that's without taking damage reduction from upgraded suits into account, which can be up to 75%).

Mando Knight
2009-06-09, 05:23 PM

"A lot" doesn't cut it. I call my Samus play-style in Brawl Missile Spamus for a reason.

I see Samus's Missiles as slightly weaker than an actual anti-vehicle rocket launcher, more on the degree of being anti-heavy-infantry weapons like a focused-burst frag grenade. Her Super Missiles, however... they blow $#!@ up.

Prime32
2009-06-09, 05:27 PM
And Power Bombs are just overkill. Seriously, have you seen what they do to Omega Pirate? Even Fission Metroids just disintegrate instantly.

The Chief is at his best using hit-and-run tactics... good luck running from Samus when her weapons can shoot through walls, and her sensors are powerful enough to spot an invisible ant behind a sheet of lead in another dimension. And then Samus has this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJgEn68oYE&fmt=18).

Also, Wave Beam can probably knock out the Chief's shields easily.

On another note, Samus's visor is made out of the same material as the rest of her suit, just transparent - it isn't a weak point. While in altform she has no vital organs anyway.

Mewtarthio
2009-06-09, 07:31 PM
That said, I totally forgot about the various metal Ridley's, I could see him tearing up the covenant pretty bad, although I"m not sure if that'd tip my scales.

You forget Ridley's most important power:

No matter how many times or how how thoroughly you kill him, he always comes back in the next game. He beats everyone by default, as he just keeps coming back until they are no longer alive. Even if the Covenant somehow became immortal, Ridley would need only wait for the ultimate entropic heat death of the universe, at which point he would soar through the infinite emptiness, victorious.

Prime32
2009-06-09, 07:40 PM
You forget Ridley's most important power:

No matter how many times or how how thoroughly you kill him, he always comes back in the next game. He beats everyone by default, as he just keeps coming back until they are no longer alive. Even if the Covenant somehow became immortal, Ridley would need only wait for the ultimate entropic heat death of the universe, at which point he would soar through the infinite emptiness, victorious.The manga explains that Ridley can absorb the biomass of other creatures into his own to repair damage. This includes Samus's parents.

Zeful
2009-06-09, 07:54 PM
The manga explains that Ridley can absorb the biomass of other creatures into his own to repair damage. This very likely includes Samus's parents.

It was pretty ambiguous about that.

But I'm pretty sure Ridley is dead dead as of Metroid Fusion. As he was infected by X, and lacks the metroid gene.

Prime32
2009-06-09, 08:14 PM
But I'm pretty sure Ridley is dead dead as of Metroid Fusion. As he was infected by X, and lacks the metroid gene.Unless that was a clone of Ridley (at least one is implied to exist in MP3 - Meta Ridley doesn't have the scar inflicted in MP1, but Omega Ridley does) or the X infected a DNA sample.

Mando Knight
2009-06-09, 09:02 PM
But I'm pretty sure Ridley is dead dead as of Metroid Fusion. As he was infected by X, and lacks the metroid gene.

Wrong. He's Ridley. He'll be back. :smalltongue:

Oslecamo
2009-06-09, 09:18 PM
Wrong. He's Ridley. He'll be back. :smalltongue:

The terrible truth is that Ridley's dead and gone a long time ago.

However in honor of their strongest member the space pirates have started the traidition of genetically modifying their strongest member and brainwashing him in order to make him think he's Ridley. Stronger. Faster. Less explodey. And should he fall again, a new pirate champion will step forwards and take the Ridley genetic transformation and mindrape mantle in order to keep challenging the mighty goddess of battle.:smalltongue:

Zeful
2009-06-09, 09:21 PM
The terrible truth is that Ridley's dead and gone a long time ago.

However in honor of their strongest member the space pirates have started the traidition of genetically modifying their strongest member and brainwashing him in order to make him think he's Ridley. Stronger. Faster. Less explodey. And should he fall again, a new pirate champion will step forwards and take the Ridley genetic transformation and mindrape mantle in order to keep challenging the mighty goddess of battle.:smalltongue:

Looking at it that way, Ridley and Samus would both make great D&D gods.

Mewtarthio
2009-06-09, 09:23 PM

What part of "Ridley cannot ever die ever" do you not understand? He's survived worse. Didn't he completely and unambiguously explode in Corruption?

Mando Knight
2009-06-09, 09:32 PM
What part of "Ridley cannot ever die ever" do you not understand? He's survived worse. Didn't he completely and unambiguously explode in Corruption?

He's "died" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StayingAlive) as often as Optimus Prime and Megatron have. It will never end. No, not even then.

The_JJ
2009-06-09, 09:41 PM
Yes, but I think a MAC cannon round to the face would be more than enough to make him sit down and shut up until the next 'game' rolls through.

And while Samus might be the Destroyer of Worlds! which might make ht space pirates seem stronger, the Covenent practice planet-cide as part of their standard military doctrine.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-09, 09:43 PM
Yes, but I think a MAC cannon round to the face would be more than enough to make him sit down and shut up until the next 'game' rolls through.

And while Samus might be the Destroyer of Worlds! which might make ht space pirates seem stronger, the Covenent practice planet-cide as part of their standard military doctrine.

Yes but thats ships....FLEETS....not a single blonde chick in power armor

chiasaur11
2009-06-09, 09:48 PM
So, in the end him, Starscream's ghost, Durandal and the Security officer, DEATH, and Mr. Immortal will just be sitting around, looking at each other awkwardly, eh?

Good thing DEATH has a paperclip.

ninja_penguin
2009-06-09, 09:48 PM
In the Covenent's defense, Samus just seems to know that exact button to push, or the location of that specific load-bearing bosswall that sends everything tumbling down.

I assume that Samus' insurance premiums are part of the reason why she keeps on bounty hunting.

Mando Knight
2009-06-09, 09:53 PM
Yes but thats ships....FLEETS....not a single blonde chick in power armor

Um... hi. She's not just a blond chick in power armor. She's Samus Aran, DESTROYER OF WORLDS. And who is the guy you're suggesting take a MAC to the chest? That's right... her rival, Ridley. Who gets his own theme music and everything. I think he can take it.

The_JJ
2009-06-10, 12:19 AM
Dude, I have my own theme music. (Ride of the Valkaries, in case you're wondering.)

And no, MAC is Magnetically Accelerated Cannon. It's like shooting a small asteroid. Made of metal. And a significant fraction of the speed of light.

Strictly a ship based weapon. I'm not challenging the Samus = awesome sause with cheese on top, but this is part of the Pirates vs. UNSC debate. And I think the UNSC can take the Pirates, mostly because yeah, they've got bigger ships with bigger guns.

Kyouhen
2009-06-10, 12:31 AM
Actually I'm taking back my questioning of who would win between the Federation and the UNSC. The UNSC would win. Why? Because the Federation's army has gotten fat and lazy hiring Samus to do all the work for them. At least the UNSC's super soldier is actually a member of the UNSC.

chiasaur11
2009-06-10, 12:33 AM
Actually I'm taking back my questioning of who would win between the Federation and the UNSC. The UNSC would win. Why? Because the Federation's army has gotten fat and lazy hiring Samus to do all the work for them. At least the UNSC's super soldier is actually a member of the UNSC.

Ah, Gunnery Sgt. Reynolds.

Good man. Mite... prone to disagreements with authority, but loyal to his men to a fault.

Or did you mean that John fellow?

Mando Knight
2009-06-10, 12:41 AM
Dude, I have my own theme music. (Ride of the Valkaries, in case you're wondering.)Except Ridley had his composed just for him, and has remixes of the same theme named after him.

And no, MAC is Magnetically Accelerated Cannon. It's like shooting a small asteroid. Made of metal. And a significant fraction of the speed of light.

I know what a MAC is. However, firing it at Ridley provides two problems:
1. He's about as large as a standard snubfighter, so a counter-capital ship weapon will have a harder time hitting him.
2. The MAC isn't a rapid-fire cannon. If it misses once, Ridley can swoop in and take out the gun with his impressive array of weaponry.
3. Ridley's pretty darn tough, even without taking into account his nigh-immortality. He takes several dozen missiles before going down, rendering him significantly more resilient than the Pirate drop ships.

Fan
2009-06-10, 12:49 AM
Except Ridley had his composed just for him, and has remixes of the same theme named after him.

I know what a MAC is. However, firing it at Ridley provides two problems:
1. He's about as large as a standard snubfighter, so a counter-capital ship weapon will have a harder time hitting him.
2. The MAC isn't a rapid-fire cannon. If it misses once, Ridley can swoop in and take out the gun with his impressive array of weaponry.
3. Ridley's pretty darn tough, even without taking into account his nigh-immortality. He takes several dozen missiles before going down, rendering him significantly more resilient than the Pirate drop ships.

Those missiles are not moving at significant speed of light, the size of a small asteroid, OR made out of tungsten. Your also forgetting that the MAC gun is a burst weapon, 3 shots, the last one being largest. (at least that was the standard at the end of the war.)

Oslecamo
2009-06-10, 05:53 AM

Not exactly. Altough Samus indeed solves a lot of problems for the federation, she still can't be everywhere, and her hiring fee is high enough that you can't just hire her for every problem, so the Federation still has to solve problems on it's own, or at least hold the line until SAMUS ARAN, DESTROYER OF WORLDS, arrives to blow everything up save the day.

Remember, it was the federation wich developed almost-safe phazon technology, wich shows they aren't exactly sleeping in the field of weapon development.

The JJ:Watch Metroid Prime 3. Right in the begginning pirates ships prove to be powerfull enough to severly cripple big federation capital ships in a few seconds. Theyr ships may be small, but they pack a hell lot of firepower. Size isn't document.

Selrahc
2009-06-10, 06:21 AM
I think a team of Spartans could take out even a geared up Samus, if they got the drop on her. Throw in an energy drainer then finish her with spartan lasers. The energy drainer immobilizes her and completely empties her energy shields. The spartan lasers deal a punch probably approximately equivalent to a super missile.

If they didn't get the drop on her then she would casually dodge the energy drainer, then tank a few shots from the Spartan Lasers while annihilating the team of Spartans.

Prime32
2009-06-10, 07:42 AM
Not exactly. Altough Samus indeed solves a lot of problems for the federation, she still can't be everywhere, and her hiring fee is high enough that you can't just hire her for every problem, so the Federation still has to solve problems on it's own, or at least hold the line until SAMUS ARAN, DESTROYER OF WORLDS, arrives to blow everything up save the day.
The Feds also have a bunch of other "Hunters" they can call on like the ones in MP3.

I think a team of Spartans could take out even a geared up Samus, if they got the drop on her. Throw in an energy drainer then finish her with spartan lasers. The energy drainer immobilizes her and completely empties her energy shields.
EMP completely empties the Chief's shields, but it just causes Samus's vision to become a little fuzzy for a second (those Dark Pirate Commandos with EMP grenades are still annoying though).

Selrahc
2009-06-10, 07:46 AM
EMP completely empties the Chief's shields, but it just causes Samus's vision to become a little fuzzy for a second (those Dark Pirate Commandos with EMP grenades are still annoying though).

When does he go up against EMP? An energy drainer looks like something completely different.

Contradictum
2009-06-10, 08:17 AM
Those missiles are not moving at significant speed of light, the size of a small asteroid, OR made out of tungsten. Your also forgetting that the MAC gun is a burst weapon, 3 shots, the last one being largest. (at least that was the standard at the end of the war.)

Mac cannons dont always have to be 3 bursts, that was only the pillar of autumn. One of the Super Macs(Which would be far to big to fire at Ridley) can fire constantly, at least 1 every few seconds. On Reach it was supposed to destroy fleets of Covenant invaders. Also Ridley could not take a mac shot head on. Especially since they can attach mini versions of those to warthogs and they can have fixed weapon turrets for those. Its over for Ridley if he went up against a squad of heavily armed UNSC marines with missle launchers, spartan lasers (yes marines can use these), and gauss cannons on warthogs or the turrets.

I think a team of Spartans could take out even a geared up Samus, if they got the drop on her. Throw in an energy drainer then finish her with spartan lasers. The energy drainer immobilizes her and completely empties her energy shields. The spartan lasers deal a punch probably approximately equivalent to a super missile.

If they didn't get the drop on her then she would casually dodge the energy drainer, then tank a few shots from the Spartan Lasers while annihilating the team of Spartans.

No matter how fast Samus is she can't dodge that much firepower or take that much with her shields. If she can whats the point of comparing them. I can see how Samus could beat Master chief but against a whole squad of spartans armed with energy drainers and spartan lasers?

Kyouhen
2009-06-10, 09:35 AM
The Feds also have a bunch of other "Hunters" they can call on like the ones in MP3.

Yeah, and look how effective they were. :smalltongue:

Mac cannons dont always have to be 3 bursts, that was only the pillar of autumn. One of the Super Macs(Which would be far to big to fire at Ridley) can fire constantly, at least 1 every few seconds. On Reach it was supposed to destroy fleets of Covenant invaders. Also Ridley could not take a mac shot head on. Especially since they can attach mini versions of those to warthogs and they can have fixed weapon turrets for those. Its over for Ridley if he went up against a squad of heavily armed UNSC marines with missle launchers, spartan lasers (yes marines can use these), and gauss cannons on warthogs or the turrets.

No matter how fast Samus is she can't dodge that much firepower or take that much with her shields. If she can whats the point of comparing them. I can see how Samus could beat Master chief but against a whole squad of spartans armed with energy drainers and spartan lasers?

You're forgetting one thing with the Ridley scenario. He wouldn't be alone. He has a very nice army of all sorts of unpleasant Pirates he'd be bringing along with him if he was going to attack anything with that much firepower, and it's going to be hard to focus on Ridley when you've got Kraid and Omega Pirates to deal with too.

Also I love how this is turning into a "If there were a hundred Spartans and they caught Samus while she was asleep and blindfolded" situation. :smalltongue: Samus's visor has a radar, does it not? She'd know something's coming and unless they plan on attacking her in a civilized city she'll be ready to kill whatever the little blips are.

Mando Knight
2009-06-10, 09:55 AM

And you're suggesting that the Spartans have Covenant Power Drains how? It's only available to players in Halo 3 Multiplayer. Furthermore, how would it completely paralyze a geared up Samus? She's endured far worse than a shield-draining device. She should be able to move out of the drain before her entire shielding system is down... and her shield system is a lot stronger than Master Chief's: He can barely take a pistol blast or anti-infantry round before having to retreat, but she trades blows with this guy (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Meta_Ridley) and keeps on fighting.

On top of that, the Spartan Laser has a big weakness: it needs to cycle for about 3 seconds before firing. 3 seconds is sufficient for Samus to lock on to your position, dodge, and fire a homing missile.

Prime32
2009-06-10, 10:06 AM
Watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691Z_c4lV48&fmt=18) of Ridley-X. Samus fires 120 Diffusion Missiles (heavy missiles which generate intense waves of freezing energy on impact) at it, and it still keeps going. At the same time, she takes insane amounts of damage - just one of those attacks would be enough to kill the Chief.

No matter how fast Samus is she can't dodge that much firepower or take that much with her shields. If she can whats the point of comparing them. I can see how Samus could beat Master chief but against a whole squad of spartans armed with energy drainers and spartan lasers?As I said, I don't think the energy drainer would affect Samus much. Also, going by MP2 a fully-equipped Samus can survive approximately 360 of her own standard missiles.

If both of them were out of their suits, MC could beat Samus. She's a little more agile and can "jump good", but the Chief is stronger. However, Samus's suit is more a part of her identity than MC's. In fact, it's technically a part of her body.

Selrahc
2009-06-10, 10:26 AM
And you're suggesting that the Spartans have Covenant Power Drains how? It's only available to players in Halo 3 Multiplayer. Furthermore, how would it completely paralyze a geared up Samus? She's endured far worse than a shield-draining device. She should be able to move out of the drain before her entire shielding system is down... and her shield system is a lot stronger than Master Chief's: He can barely take a pistol blast or anti-infantry round before having to retreat, but she trades blows with this guy and keeps on fighting.

Spartans can steal stuff. The UNSC has covenant weapons, and in fact back engineering from those has been the way that most of their Spartan technology has been created. It wouldn't be out of the question for the UNSC to requisition a few power drainers in order to take out a high priority target.

The shield drainer isn't meant to kill her, but to make her vulnerable to a salvo of Spartan Lasers. It works as more than just a shield drainer, so she won't be out of it using any of her armours movement system. When used aginst vehicles, they are completely stopped. Motion is nothing to do with shielding, and is still stopped. If her ability to move is compromised as her shields rapidly decrease, then the multiple spartan laser shots would have a real chance of taking her out. Since her mobility is decreased, she wouldn't have much of a chance to dodge the attacks.

As to the Chiefs strength, well in the background he is a fair amount tougher than he is in the games. I think background trumps gameplay where we have conflicting data.

That aside, yes Samus is a lot tougher than Master Chief when she has her gear. Which is why I'm suggesting a sneak attack by a full squad of Spartans rather than a straight out fight. She is tougher, but I don't think she is untouchable.

As I said, I don't think the energy drainer would affect Samus much. Also, going by MP2 a fully-equipped Samus can survive approximately 360 of her own missiles.

Firstly, I don't think EMP is anywhere near to the effects of an energy drainer, so there isn't much evidence that she could just shrug off its effects.

Secondly. 360 missiles sounds about right for the amount of damage that would be sprung on her from the energy drainer/spartan laser trap. To me at least.

Prime32
2009-06-10, 10:30 AM
Firstly, I don't think EMP is anywhere near to the effects of an energy drainer, so there isn't much evidence that she could just shrug off its effects.
In the first Halo (and possibly other places) EMP knocks out the Chief's shields faster than an Energy Drainer.

Even if Samus is seriously wounded, if she gets a chance to retreat (which, between her Morph Ball and Speed Booster, is likely) she can just use the Crystal Flash to heal her suit (or, y'know, since she has Power Bombs, just use one to kill everything).

To SRW fans, if this is the MP2 version of Samus, she not only has Shine Spark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJgEn68oYE&fmt=18), but Stoner Sunshine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2mJL4W2xYk&fmt=18), Black Hole Cluster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFYB7-y66jg&fmt=18) and Ain Soph Aur (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEigvvsyT7Q&fmt=18) as well. :smallwink: If it's MPH she has the Omega Cannon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAL151jzgg0&fmt=18). If it's MP3 she has Hypermode, so... yeah.

Zeful
2009-06-10, 10:48 AM
I think a team of Spartans could take out even a geared up Samus, if they got the drop on her. Throw in an energy drainer then finish her with spartan lasers. The energy drainer immobilizes her and completely empties her energy shields. The spartan lasers deal a punch probably approximately equivalent to a super missile.How would an energy drain completely empty her tanks? She has more energy availible to power her suit than Chief will ever have for his shields. The energy drain looks to be no worse than a metroid attack from the big metroid in Super Metroid. Her suit would still have enough fuctionality in that situation to destroy the energy drain and then kill everyone in the room.

If they didn't get the drop on her then she would casually dodge the energy drainer, then tank a few shots from the Spartan Lasers while annihilating the team of Spartans. How could they get the drop on her? HUD radar, X-ray and thermal visors make stealth against her really freakin hard.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-10, 10:51 AM
I vote for the Onyx-varient Combo-Sentinels. Invincibility for the win.

Except for against rocks. Damn you, cavemen!

Prime32
2009-06-10, 10:53 AM
I vote for the Onyx-varient Combo-Sentinels. Invincibility for the win.
I vote for Omega Metroids. Invincibilty against everything but high-penetration freeze beams for the win. Also, they can throw rocks pretty hard.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-10, 10:56 AM
I vote for Omega Metroids. Invincibilty against everything but high-penetration freeze beams for the win. Also, they can throw rocks pretty hard.

Then they lose. It has to be a slow moving rock. Or a punch.

But really. One sentinel from Halo is almost nothing. Now you have two stuck together, one with shields that can stop anti-tank missles, the other with a doom-laser.

Now you have tri-sentinel, quad, penta, hexa, so on. Hell, the little guys vaporize a starship, or build trains that burrow through solid bedrock like earthworms and mud.

Kyouhen
2009-06-10, 11:03 AM
In the first Halo (and possibly other places) EMP knocks out the Chief's shields faster than an Energy Drainer.

Ok, wait, one second. I just looked up what the Energy Drainer is and how it works. Correct me if I'm wrong but it isn't an instant 100% shields gone right? As far as I can tell it takes time before it can fully drain your shields. In that time Samus would be long gone. And who says it would make her incapable of moving? Does it make Chief unable to move?

Worst-case scenario she could turn off her suit before it disables her and just run for it. She's still got genetic enhancements for speed and agility, so she'd have minimal problem getting away and waiting for the suit to start working again.

Of course this is all assuming we aren't talking about Fusion Samus, at which point the energy drain might not affect her suit at all.

Prime32
2009-06-10, 11:19 AM
Off-topic, but
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqiKqVWLU3g&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQjTJu1OgsE&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJd0hrmhJg&fmt=18

Selrahc
2009-06-10, 11:27 AM

What EMP are you talking about? I just can't remember it.

Still doesn't mean that Samus would be immune to energy drain. It works on a different system.

Ok, wait, one second. I just looked up what the Energy Drainer is and how it works. Correct me if I'm wrong but it isn't an instant 100% shields gone right?

It doesn't just drains shields, but also immobilizes things.
It doesn't drain shield instantly, but does drain it very fast. If multiple Spartans all throw one in, that should drain her shields very fast.
Aside from which, the energy drain isn't the main damage dealer. The energy drain is to hold her still while the Spartan Lasers pound her down.

And who says it would make her incapable of moving? Does it make Chief unable to move?

It completely knocks out mechanical methods of movement. For chief, that means his armour powers down and he moves slower, for vehicles it means complete immobilization.

Against Samus, I'd say it would knock out all of her suit granted mobility enhancements. Super speed, high jumps, morph balls and all the other mechanically aided movement. That leaves her mobile, but I would say she would have very low odds of dodging laser beams. Which is the point. To hold her still long enough to get a whole bunch of high powered attacks off on her.

How could they get the drop on her? HUD radar, X-ray and thermal visors make stealth against her really freakin hard.

Yeah. Fair enough.
It's conceivable though. They are stealth and infiltration specialists.
I'm not saying they would win, just that they would be better than useless.

Mando Knight
2009-06-10, 11:28 AM
Or a punch.

How about a claw that can take out Samus Aran pretty darn easily? There is one thing you do not do with Metroids, and that is bother them without being properly prepared to fight them. They are not pets. They are not target practice. They are Eldritch Abominations (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EldritchAbomination) created by an ancient and advanced civilization.

The Omega Metroid in the BSL station is invulnerable to all weapon fire except the Ice Beam... and even then I suspect that it is only because the weapon is combined with the matter-piercing abilities of the Wave and Plasma beams.

...and then there's the Metroid Prime (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Prime_(creature)). Its exoskeleton is invulnerable to all weapon fire, and its core is immune to everything but Phazon-based weaponry.

Oslecamo
2009-06-10, 11:32 AM
That aside, yes Samus is a lot tougher than Master Chief when she has her gear. Which is why I'm suggesting a sneak attack by a full squad of Spartans rather than a straight out fight. She is tougher, but I don't think she is untouchable.

Space pirates tried it. Ings tried it. Metroids tried it. Mother brain tried it. A lot of other guys tried it. They all failed.

In case you forgot, Samus job is not that of a frontline warrior, but of a super commando wich infiltrates enemy bases under everyone's noses and has to act completely surrounded by hostility. Geting out of ambushes is second nature for her by now. Unless spartans have some uber stealth technology I may have missed, Samus will see them coming

As for untouchable, well, she isn't invincible, but she fights head on with cyborg-godzillas the size of scryscrappers shooting death lasers of their eyes. Her shields can take a LOT of punishment.

Mewtarthio
2009-06-10, 11:39 AM
...and then there's the Metroid Prime (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Prime_(creature)). Its exoskeleton is invulnerable to all weapon fire, and its core is immune to everything but Phazon-based weaponry.

Metroid Prime technically doesn't count as a "Metroid." It's a unique Phazon-based entity that has managed to absorb a metroid as its "shell" (presumably it consumed one in the same way it consumed the Phazon Suit to become Dark Samus).

Mando Knight
2009-06-10, 11:47 AM
Metroid Prime technically doesn't count as a "Metroid." It's a unique Phazon-based entity that has managed to absorb a metroid as its "shell" (presumably it consumed one in the same way it consumed the Phazon Suit to become Dark Samus).

Except that it does possess similarities to Metroids, and its core spawns more Metroids to keep you busy.

Selrahc
2009-06-10, 11:50 AM
Space pirates tried it. Ings tried it. Metroids tried it. Mother brain tried it. A lot of other guys tried it. They all failed.

A lot of guys tried to kill Chief too. They all failed as well.

In case you forgot, Samus job is not that of a frontline warrior, but of a super commando wich infiltrates enemy bases under everyone's noses and has to act completely surrounded by hostility. Geting out of ambushes is second nature for her by now.

The same is true of Master Chief. The original proposed battlefield role for Spartans was to infiltrate an enemy space ship and install AI attack programs. That would be independent action, far away from any support, surrounded by hostiles. Master Chief has been doing independent unsupported commando missions throughout the run of the Halo games.

See heres the deal. Samus isn't the protagonist. Master Chief isn't the protagonist. Appeals to skill, or similar things don't really apply. Both have completed legendary acts.

Her shields can take a LOT of punishment.

Which is why I'm suggesting large numbers of the single heaviest weapon a spartan can carry, easily capable of downing battle tanks, backed up by immobilization devices.

Kyouhen
2009-06-10, 12:18 PM
The same is true of Master Chief. The original proposed battlefield role for Spartans was to infiltrate an enemy space ship and install AI attack programs. That would be independent action, far away from any support, surrounded by hostiles. Master Chief has been doing independent unsupported commando missions throughout the run of the Halo games.

The point isn't so much that Samus is better suited for being alone than Master Chief, the point is that Samus is constantly surrounded by hostiles. With her array of detection equipment and being in an area where anything that moves is probably trying to kill you odds are you aren't going to be sneaking up on her. Same applies to situations with Samus sneaking up on Chief, but Samus does have a bit of an edge with her Morph Ball and Chief's lack of X-Ray vision.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-10, 12:24 PM
The point isn't so much that Samus is better suited for being alone than Master Chief, the point is that Samus is constantly surrounded by hostiles. With her array of detection equipment and being in an area where anything that moves is probably trying to kill you odds are you aren't going to be sneaking up on her. Same applies to situations with Samus sneaking up on Chief, but Samus does have a bit of an edge with her Morph Ball and Chief's lack of X-Ray vision.

The Chief has the friendly mo-...Marines, to tell him that something's coming. All of ten seconds before they die violently. :smalltongue:

Contradictum
2009-06-10, 06:09 PM
One reason why i believe space pirates and the Federation cannot beat the UNSC is how pathetic they are. There ships seem to lack any fire power, they almost always rely on boarding (As seen in the manga and most of the games).

There basic weapons like the energy rifle that the GF soldiers hold, not Samus's missles or something similar, seem incredibly weak to judging from the Metroid manga. There Energy rifles didn't seem to have as much of a punch as a assault rifle or even the magnum could, they could hardly kill a human unless it was a head shot or they unload half a clip. Also there normal troops seem quite weak and they seem to lack any type of proper combat vehicles other than jeeps.

On a land battle, the GF soldiers seem to have inferior equipment. They have no type of assault vehicles or special weaponry other than the Phazon Enhancement Device. In space they are either retarded and like suicide missions or they lack any weapons for a long range fight. A UNSC fleet could rip the Galactic Federation ships into shreds easily with MAC cannons.

Mando Knight
2009-06-10, 06:31 PM
On a land battle, the GF soldiers seem to have inferior equipment. They have no type of assault vehicles or special weaponry other than the Phazon Enhancement Device.
We don't know that. The only battles we've seen the GF in are in too close of quarters to use any kind of heavy assault vehicle... though Ghor's armorsuit is warp-capable...

In space they are either retarded and like suicide missions or they lack any weapons for a long range fight. A UNSC fleet could rip the Galactic Federation ships into shreds easily with MAC cannons.
The only space battles we see in MP3 are those that are entered at close range. The Pirate assault on Norion and the GF assault on Phaaze were both strike operations meant to keep the opposition busy while the real weapon made its way to the planet.

Nageto004
2009-06-10, 06:43 PM
i honestly have to go with what I know, Halo.

Contradictum
2009-06-10, 07:23 PM
We don't know that. The only battles we've seen the GF in are in too close of quarters to use any kind of heavy assault vehicle... though Ghor's armorsuit is warp-capable...

The only space battles we see in MP3 are those that are entered at close range. The Pirate assault on Norion and the GF assault on Phaaze were both strike operations meant to keep the opposition busy while the real weapon made its way to the planet.

You ever read the manga? Do read it please, the only vehicle they ever had was a jeep thing. The Galactic Federation can't fight a proper full scale war,there army is just some police force, the bounty hunters run around and fix most of the real problems. Even then there not the kind that can't be solved with a small squad of elite soldiers (which samus was part of for a while) or a single bounty hunter. Also there are very few bounty hunters. Bounty hunters are guys who wipe the Galactic Federations ass by fixing problems, they aren't meant to fight in an all out war.

Llama231
2009-06-10, 07:36 PM
Oh, I've got it!
Feds vs. UNSC:
Feds hire Samus. Feds win.

Prime32
2009-06-10, 07:36 PM
i honestly have to go with what I know, Halo.
...that's no reasoning.

You ever read the manga? Do read it please, the only vehicle they ever had was a jeep thing. The Galactic Federation can't fight a proper full scale war,there army is just some police force, the bounty hunters run around and fix most of the real problems. Even then there not the kind that can't be solved with a small squad of elite soldiers (which samus was part of for a while) or a single bounty hunter. Also there are very few bounty hunters. Bounty hunters are guys who wipe the Galactic Federations ass by fixing problems, they aren't meant to fight in an all out war.
In MP2 they had a spaceship resembling a slightly oversized Pelican which took down a Space Pirate frigate by itself. Don't underestimate the GFMC (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Federation_troopers).

They have plenty of stuff
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Federation
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Galactic_Federation

Mando Knight
2009-06-10, 08:21 PM
Do read it please, the only vehicle they ever had was a jeep thing. The Galactic Federation can't fight a proper full scale war,there army is just some police force, the bounty hunters run around and fix most of the real problems.

...That was the police force. The GF regulars are more formidable than that.

Contradictum
2009-06-10, 08:22 PM
Oh, I've got it!
Feds vs. UNSC:
Feds hire Samus. Feds win.

That doesn't really work out, Samus can only blow so much stuff up and kill so many people at once. Even if Samus causes a huge mess with the UNSC forces they could still crush the GF like that. Even with all of the hunters (By which i only know a few from the DS game, there could be more), they could raise some hell but not enough to stop the force.

Also Llama231, your incredibly biased.

Mando Knight, Samus was part of an elite military troop and they didn't end up doing much more than a swat team did. In fact they sucked at it to since they lost there team leader and another man(as i recall) by attacking a space raider ship which they could have just blown up.

BOUNTY HUNTERS DO ALL THE WORK.
And they do a damn well job of it, its just that they can't fight a fullscale war. Its like expecting the FBI to fight the Chinese Army, sure the FBI's better trained and can probably attain better equipment but who wins in the end? The PLA.

From what I've seen even there soldiers are just the same dudes with Phazon enhancers. That makes them a lot more powerful (since they can take a couple of blasts) but they still end up as not very helpful. From all the times that the Galaxy has hung in balance at the threat of the metroids or the X. All the soldiers that help are a squad of dead marines, or Samus get the assistance of 3-4 people (Who don't help at all).

Mando Knight
2009-06-10, 08:29 PM
Mando Knight, Samus was part of an elite military troop and they didn't end up doing much more than a swat team did. In fact they sucked at it to since they lost there team leader and another man(as i recall) by attacking a space raider ship which they could have just blown up.

...No, they were part of the Federation Police.

Contradictum
2009-06-10, 08:35 PM
Ok but in Metroid Prime 3, the troops that are sent still dont seem much different. Die in a few hits and there gun can't charge,or there to stupid to most people in Metroid other than Samus appear retarded, and the most they can do is run around and attract fire before a space pirate kills them.

Also don't expect me to believe those guys were still police. If they were than im just going to assume that all the GF officers and units are mentally retarded and probably aren't competent enough to realize there being attacked by something serious. Since there retarded they will lose the war.

ON the topic of the GF army, the plasma turret (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQBwSUE9jo) that they have can instantly kill Samus. I do not see how Samus can't survive some sort of high powered plasma beam and still survive multiple spartan laser shots? Also how are you to dodge a spartan laser shot, it makes no sense unless shes faster than light itself.

Reverent-One
2009-06-10, 08:59 PM
Ok but in Metroid Prime 3, the troops that are sent still dont seem much different. Die in a few hits and there gun can't charge,or there to stupid to most people in Metroid other than Samus appear retarded, and the most they can do is run around and attract fire before a space pirate kills them.

So, in other words, they're just like the guys that follow MC around in the halo games. The sides are on even footing then.

Also how are you to dodge a spartan laser shot, it makes no sense unless shes faster than light itself.

How about like you dodge it in the game, by dodging to one of the two sides, not straight back in the line of fire.

Enlong
2009-06-10, 09:07 PM
One thing about sniper rifles. In MP Hunters, one of the special weapons is a sniper rifle. A full powered headshot does indeed kill in one hit, but Samus can not only use the Thermal Visor to see the sniper as he's preparing, but if she goes into her Morph Ball, she doesn't have a head to shot.

So I say the round goes to Samus. Her weapons don't run out, stealth is all but useless against her, and she has the advantage of ammo, firepower, mobility, and information. A several second scan of Chiefy Boy would give her all the info she needs to exploit the weaknesses he has.

Mando Knight
2009-06-10, 09:08 PM
ON the topic of the GF army, the plasma turret (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQBwSUE9jo) that they have can instantly kill Samus. I do not see how Samus can't survive some sort of high powered plasma beam and still survive multiple spartan laser shots?

Notice that that's not a normal turret. It seems to be a "last resort" turret, as it doesn't fire a beam at Samus, but rather a massive death-causing burst. Furthermore, Samus was already damaged and didn't have any upgrades. A fully loaded out Super Metroid Samus takes only about 25% as much damage as normal, and has over 2000% her base energy reserves.

Contradictum
2009-06-10, 09:11 PM
So, in other words, they're just like the guys that follow MC around in the halo games. The sides are on even footing then.

How about like you dodge it in the game, by dodging to one of the two sides, not straight back in the line of fire.

That's an issue of the other persons aim, proper aim equals one hit kill, you can't dodge the beam onces its fired. Seeing as Samus has ungodly speed they would only need one lucky shot is all it takes to kill Samus then.

You see in Halo the UNSC tries to stop Halo by throwing vast amount of marines at it and hoping they help Master Chief, but since our MC is the chosen one of Halo, they don't do much. But in Metroid we see Samus aided by... 10 marines throughout the whole game? AI aren't very smart, they aren't supposed to be that smart either ,lest our MC or Samus lose their exalted positions in the game as the chosen ones, but the method the Galactic Federation could mean many things.

1) The people who made Metroid are retarded
2) The GF is retarded
3)The GF just doesn't have that many soldiers.

I take this as some sort of quasi-evidence ,since the developers or the Galactic Federation could have made a serious lack of judgment or the devs decided that they liked the Metroid gameplay without a ton of useless soldiers around you, that they have a diminutive army. If you would take a look at the trailer for Metroid Prime 3 they have 15 (not sure somewhere over 10 below 25) soldiers standing in a transport. Doesn't seem to be alot in comparison to the huge amounts you see in Halo.

EDIT: Mando Knight even if you were fully maxed out you still instantly die since its a gameplay thing. But thats not the point, Samus can still be killed that easily. Shes still human and the only reason Samus or Master Chief can never die is because they are The Chosen Ones of the game. In anything that's not fluff they still die like anyone else, how many times do you die while playing MP3 or Halo?

Mando Knight
2009-06-10, 09:15 PM
That's an issue of the other persons aim, one lucky shot is all it takes to kill Samus then.

In Hunters Multiplayer, however, it should be noted that each character only has 199 health. Considering that Samus usually caps out at 2099, that's a huge difference in combat capability. It's also roughly the amount of energy Samus has at less than 30 minutes into the mission.

Contradictum
2009-06-10, 09:18 PM
In Hunters Multiplayer, however, it should be noted that each character only has 199 health. Considering that Samus usually caps out at 2099, that's a huge difference in combat capability. It's also roughly the amount of energy Samus has at less than 30 minutes into the mission.

Ok then your god Samus is the ****. She can go and destroy a ship full of soldiers while the rest of the other hunters get raped and the Galactic Federation is being destroyed. Unless she can somehow come close to killing that many people in that little time.

I support Samus, she is the ****, only problem is that she is the only one with these godlike powers.

Ings win, Metroids win, Samus wins. Only ones who don't win are the Space Pirates and the Galactic Federation and i don't see how they can ever win. Its a matter of simple quantity in these cases, its an uneven match.

Reverent-One
2009-06-10, 09:22 PM
You see in Halo the UNSC tries to stop Halo by throwing vast amount of marines at it and hoping they help Master Chief, but since our MC is the chosen one of Halo, they don't do much. But in Metroid we see Samus aided by... 10 marines throughout the whole game? AI aren't very smart, they aren't supposed to be that smart either ,lest our MC or Samus lose their exalted positions in the game as the chosen ones, but the method the Galactic Federation could mean many things.

1) The people who made Metroid are retarded
2) The GF is retarded
3)The GF just doesn't have that many soldiers.

4) Instead of in Halo, in which MC is participating in invasions, reporting back to fully manned bases regularly, and generally being within spitting distance of reinforcements in an ongoing war, Samus is given more infiltration-style investigation/search and destroy missions, with back-up further out and less accessible.

Contradictum
2009-06-10, 09:39 PM
Most of the time she answered a distress beacon where there's already a squad of wasted marines. The occasional time she is sent somewhere specifically, in the 3rd Metroid Prime game they decided to bring out the common soldiers. They came in small numbers, yes with they had some measure of power, and in the end were quite useless.

Samus is the figment of some Japanese devs imagination that could blast away large aliens with incredibly powerful and completely unrealistic powers, weapons like mini rockets and some sort of ice gun. While Master Chief is the figment of some American devs idea of a cool guy in fancy armor who blasts away aliens with an assault rifle and grenades. At least it could be possible to create a spartan and most of the weapons(other than covenant technology, that stuffs way out of this world) exist now or can be created.

Samus will easily win in a fight, but its not a fair one at all.

The backstory for Metroid to is quite flawed. Everyone but Samus is apparently pathetically weak and quite helpless so Samus can save the day. The backstory for Halo to is quite flawed. But at least the UNSC can try to do something against a gigantic armada of alien invaders many years ahead in technology and outnumbering them by many times. In Metroid all they do is get killed by space pirates and then send in Samus to save the day.

Tyracus
2009-06-10, 09:49 PM
In most things Halo vs. Metroid I'd have to side with Metroid.

While it's true that I don't know that much about Halo (only played 1, part of 2, and a very small amount of 3) I have played every Metroid game except hunters (didn't get a DS until it was out of circulation and have been too lazy to hunt a used copy).

Flood vs. Metoids would be horrible one-sided with the flood having nothing that could effectively harm them (neither does the UNSC for that matter, conventional weapons like they use could hold them off at best). Ing would be more up in the air but a few of the warrior Ing and the ones that phase could do a lot of damage and the lesser Ing could possess the nastier flood to turn the tide. It'd really come down to a numbers game but I'll admit the flood could win. The X parasites would straight overrun anything in the Halo universe and would probably trip the Forerunner's anti-flood protections meaning a loss for everyone involved.

Now for the GF vs. UNSC would depend on a lot of factors. The UNSC is used to stratified battle lines (more or less) and big ships shooting at bigger ships. The GF is used to fast response asymmetrical battles with unorthodox tactics, they're smaller ships could also be an advantage against the heavy anti-ship weaponry the UNSC developed against the covenant's Heavy Cruisers. I'd have to call it a draw honestly with the UNSC having an advantage in an open space battle but the GF having the edge closer to a planet or other area with some sort of terrain. You may say that the GF's smaller ships and close in fighting is a disadvantage but think about how easily the covenant boarding pods get into the UNSC ships even after a long period of conflict. UNSC point defense weaponry is either hurting badly or they decided to just say hell with it and leave it up to the marines.

Equipment wise you never (to the best of my knowledge) see marines using anything much heavier than an assault rifle but even counting the rocket launcher and Spartan Laser I'd still give the edge to the PED. It's high damage, rapid fire, and (barring the invincible walls of video games) could likely punch through most forms of barriers in combat.

As for the numbers issue, I think it's more a focus issue than a real issue even though I'd give an edge to the UNSC marines. The GF is set in a peaceful galaxy barring the space pirates who are hunted from planet to planet leading to a more strike team oriented style than the mass combat of Halo. Of course give the large area the GF has to cover I imagine they have a lot of small teams as opposed to large blocks of forces, there's nothing to say they couldn't merge those teams to match numbers.

Also the way Samus and MC work are different. Let's compare the assault on the Space Pirate base planet against the invasion of the ring in the first Halo (I know it's an unbalanced comparison but barring an actual game that places Halo vs. Metroid you're not likely to find a better one (actually I would buy that game if they ever made it)). The Chief is the vanguard combatant, taking the front lines and serving as the tip of the wedge so to speak. Samus on the other hand works more like a speical operative. She infiltrates the base, shuts down defenses, then calls in the main assault. While the GF marines fight the pirates Samus proceeds on a sabotage mission and to take out the leader (Ridley, who would curb stomp the UNSC marines). The end result is that on a strategic scale I would prefer the MC over Samus, that judgment very quickly reverses when we look at a smaller tactical scale. Given the way the vs. is phrased I'll go with Samus over MC and call USNC vs. GF a draw pending further information.

Reverent-One
2009-06-10, 09:57 PM
The backstory for Metroid to is quite flawed. Everyone but Samus is apparently pathetically weak and quite helpless so Samus can save the day. The backstory for Halo to is quite flawed. But at least the UNSC can try to do something against a gigantic armada of alien invaders many years ahead in technology and outnumbering them by many times. In Metroid all they do is get killed by space pirates and then send in Samus to save the day.

The UNSC loses somewhere in the vicinity of 800 planets prior to the events of Halo 1, and despite extreme measures to prevent the Covenant from finding earth, fail to keep them from doing that too. Without the Spartans, and MC specifically, they don't do much.

You're right though, a Samus-MC fight is totally unfair, Samus has a serious tech advantage on him.

Contradictum
2009-06-10, 10:11 PM
Hey I said try, though you are right the fight was sort of sad.

Also, I insist that i believe that the UNSC could beat the GF in a fight and that the Covenant could beat the Space Pirates easily.

Llama231
2009-06-10, 11:04 PM
That doesn't really work out, Samus can only blow so much stuff up and kill so many people at once. Even if Samus causes a huge mess with the UNSC forces they could still crush the GF like that. Even with all of the hunters (By which i only know a few from the DS game, there could be more), they could raise some hell but not enough to stop the force.

Discussy time.

First of all, I imagine that any foot soldiers of the UNSC would be almost unable to harm Samus at all given their weaponry. http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/UNSC_Marine_Corps
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Samus_Aran
Full list
* MA5B Assault Rifle (Standard) Useless. Easily ignored, plus it has horrible accuracy. All normal bullet, explosive, etc. weapons are useless on the power suit anyway, sothat coveres most of these.
* MA5C ICWS Assault Rifle (Standard)
* SRS99C-S2 AM Sniper Rifle
* M90 Assault Shotgun
* M6D Pistol
* M9 HE-DP Grenade
* M19 SSM Rocket Launcher
* M6C Magnum Sidearm
* BR55 Battle Rifle (Standard)
* BR55HB SR Battle Rifle (Standard)
* SRS99C-S2 AMB Sniper Rifle
* M41 SSR MAV/AW Rocket Launcher
* M247 GP Machine Gun
* M6G Personal Defense Weapon System
* M7/Caseless Sub Machine Gun
* M90A Close Assault Weapon System
* SRS99D-S2 AM Sniper Rifle

* W/AV M6 Grindell/Galilean Nonlinear Rifle "Spartan Laser" This may possibly be able to do a little damage, but it is extremely slow and has few shots. As most likely a particle beam weapon, it is easily resisted by the suit.

* M7057 Defoliant Projector Flamethrowers are completely useless, the varia suit powers easily ignore them.
* NA4 Flamethrower

Well, I am running low on time, so I will post the rest later, but I will finish off for now with the screw attack (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Screw_Attack). Almost anything hit by this will be destroyed instantly, and with the space jump, allows Samus to use it to fly around.

Oh, and as for taking down the civilization, it is not by brute force, but rather tactical application of power. If the UNSC leaves any NOVA bombs, etc. lying around, Samus could easily infiltrate and take one, and use it to destroy whatever is needing destroying, say maybe Earth.:smallcool: And so on.

Also Llama231, your incredibly biased.
Ye, yes I am.:smalltongue: Sort of.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-10, 11:42 PM
I do side with Samus winning this one, as she has a bit of an unfair advantage with her using the Chozo tech. (...Someone should get the MC into that suit that Guilty Spark mentioned, x12 the Mjolinr suit's power.)

But we're all forgetting one weapon that's the most important to Halo, the one that causes the funniest script lines, and is good for all around laughs during the campaign. Plasma Grenades.

I went there.

chiasaur11
2009-06-11, 12:08 AM
What we really need to remember is that the UNSC has Nathan Fillions.

Plural.

Now to date, the most advanced societies known to man (USA and Canada) have, at most, one Nathan Fillion.

Obviously, the UNSC has devoted all its research into weaponizing Firefly cast members. This is a valuable military edge that should be kept in mind.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-11, 12:30 AM
Actually, scratch all previous arguements we've heard. The UNSC/Halo Human has an unfair advantage.

Spoilers...

They ARE the Forerunners, and therefore get all of the fancy technology. Suits twelve times more powerful than the MCs, little repair robots that could follow you around giving infinite repair, giant Enforcers, Halos', Instant teleportation, weather control, Dysonsphere building, a planet's mass in killer robots, invunerable cyrotube...

Now if only they could go steal enough of it, or find a Monitor that isn't insane on one of the rings.

Selrahc
2009-06-11, 05:05 AM
First of all, I imagine that any foot soldiers of the UNSC would be almost unable to harm Samus at all given their weaponry.

The UNSC actually has a pretty good track record of sending in the right guns for the job. For tunnel work they give them shotguns. For long range work or stealth work they give them sniper rifles. Against large amounts of tanks they give them rockets or lasers.

If the UNSC sent in an attack team to kill Samus, it wouldn't send soldiers with anti infantry gear. In fact I imagine it would make a force mostly composed of vehicles and aircraft, possibly with support by spartans. If she went to ground somewhere where the vehicles couldn't go, then that place would probably be MAC blasted to hell from orbit.

(Also, assault rifle=horrible accuracy? I think you might need to actually try the game. Assault rifle is a mid to short range gun with decent accuracy. SMG is low accuracy, brute shot is low accuracy. At mid to close range, you should pretty much hit with every shot from the assault rifle.)

The UNSC loses somewhere in the vicinity of 800 planets prior to the events of Halo 1, and despite extreme measures to prevent the Covenant from finding earth, fail to keep them from doing that too. Without the Spartans, and MC specifically, they don't do much.

They had victories too, but were up against superior opposition. The covenant are just more powerful than the UNSC.

Even with Master Chief, the UNSC owe more of their hope to the unrelated secession of the elites from the covenant than any of MC's actions. The elites left the covenant because they were impressed with the prowess of humanity, and lobbied to end the war, which caused a political backlash. Humans must have been doing something right to get the support of the elites.

Oslecamo
2009-06-11, 05:23 AM
If the UNSC sent in an attack team to kill Samus, it wouldn't send soldiers with anti infantry gear. In fact I imagine it would make a force mostly composed of vehicles and aircraft, possibly with support by spartans. If she went to ground somewhere where the vehicles couldn't go, then that place would probably be MAC blasted to hell from orbit.

Remember however that Samus has her own personal space ship with imba shields, self repair and heavy weaponry. In the open ground she can call it to perform orbital bombardments of her own if the enemy is brining in heavy suport (aka large targets). If the UNSC tries to do an orbital bombardment from orbit, Samus can always escape the planet's surface laughing. It's not like she doesn't escape exploding planets every other sunday.

And then they would be on Samus's blacklist. You really don't want to be in SAMUS ARAN, DESTROYER OF WORLDS blacklist.

After all, in MP2, Samus is called to solve a problem wich a whole federation batallion with their own heavy space ship suport couldn't solve.

Humans must have been doing something right to get the support of the elites.

Or perhaps it's the elites that got pissed off fighting for a faction wich forces them to fight with knives when there's tons of perfectly viable ranged weaponry out there. Screw stupid rigid cast system, humans are the ones wich know how to party!

Selrahc
2009-06-11, 05:28 AM
Remember however that Samus has her own personal space ship with imba shields, self repair and heavy weaponry. In the open ground she can call it to perform orbital bombardments of her own. If the UNSC tries to do an orbital bombardment from orbit, Samus can always escape the planet's surface laughing. It's not like she doesn't escape exploding planets every other sunday.

But then is she gets in the ship, she'll be up against the UNSC ships. Different sort of fight. And since I actually don't know much about Samus's ship, it's one I can't really judge.

And then they would be on Samus's blacklist. You really don't want to be in SAMUS ARAN, DESTROYER OF WORLDS blacklist.

Yeah... but then I imagine the whole reason they're bothering to send in a team of soldiers backed up by orbital bombardment is because they're already on her blacklist.

Contradictum
2009-06-11, 06:51 AM
Actually the idea of orbital bombardment is true. If Samus was up against the UNSC or the Covenant, and she is really that powerful, send in hundreds of troops to hold her down and glass/shell the entire area into oblivion. Sure the UNSC would lose a lot of people and the Covenant wouldn't really care at all but now you have a completely dead Samus. There is a 0% chance she would survive that especially since the Covenant can glass entire cities and surrounding areas in a few minutes while the UNSC will eventually resort to just blowing her up with nukes/firing a Super Mac cannon at the ground.

Unless Samus can survive multiple nuclear explosions that can easily level a city or surviving in a place with temperatures that come close to the sun, she won't survive. The only thing she could survive a indirect Gauss Cannon hit because of how its just a really fast tungsten round but if one even comes within a meter of her shes still most likely toast.

Prime32
2009-06-11, 07:41 AM
Actually the idea of orbital bombardment is true. If Samus was up against the UNSC or the Covenant, and she is really that powerful, send in hundreds of troops to hold her down and glass/shell the entire area into oblivion. Sure the UNSC would lose a lot of people and the Covenant wouldn't really care at all but now you have a completely dead Samus. There is a 0% chance she would survive that especially since the Covenant can glass entire cities and surrounding areas in a few minutes while the UNSC will eventually resort to just blowing her up with nukes/firing a Super Mac cannon at the ground.

Unless Samus can survive multiple nuclear explosions that can easily level a city or surviving in a place with temperatures that come close to the sun, she won't survive. The only thing she could survive a indirect Gauss Cannon hit because of how its just a really fast tungsten round but if one even comes within a meter of her shes still most likely toast.
30 seconds to orbital bombardment
*Samus runs to her ship within 30 seconds*

Yeah, that happens all the time.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-11, 07:49 AM
30 seconds to orbital bombardment
*Samus runs to her ship within 30 seconds*

Yeah, that happens all the time.

30 seconds to Orbital Bombardment
*Samus begins running, right on time to make it*
*About 15 seconds in*
Anti-ship Missle strike in 1 second.

(Not really, but it would be a horrible way to end a game, huh? :smallbiggrin: )

Rebonack
2009-06-11, 09:15 AM
I'll put this in pretty simple terms.

The weapons, armor, and shields used in the Metroid universe are orders of magnitude more powerful than those in the Halo universe. Samus' normal missiles in Super Metroid pack the destructive force of roughly four kilograms of conventional high explosives (if my memory of the numbers is correct).

And we're talking about a semi-automatic weapon here. The plasma/ice/wave beam hits for over twice as much damage uncharged, its armor-piercing qualities notwithstanding. Samus' plasma weapons vaporize critters that live in molten rock. The result of mostly unarmored marines getting hit by a round from a Covenant Plasma Rifle is 'Aaaah, it burns!'

Even lacking any upgrades to speak of Samus is by no means a slouch. Feel free to find the trailer for Metroid Other M to see some examples of what close range combat would amount to.

Kyouhen
2009-06-11, 10:03 AM
I'll put this in pretty simple terms.

The weapons, armor, and shields used in the Metroid universe are orders of magnitude more powerful than those in the Halo universe. Samus' normal missiles in Super Metroid pack the destructive force of roughly four kilograms of conventional high explosives (if my memory of the numbers is correct).

And we're talking about a semi-automatic weapon here. The plasma/ice/wave beam hits for over twice as much damage uncharged, its armor-piercing qualities notwithstanding. Samus' plasma weapons vaporize critters that live in molten rock. The result of mostly unarmored marines getting hit by a round from a Covenant Plasma Rifle is 'Aaaah, it burns!'

Even lacking any upgrades to speak of Samus is by no means a slouch. Feel free to find the trailer for Metroid Other M to see some examples of what close range combat would amount to.

I think people acknowledged this when they got to the "Samus vs the entire UNSC military" point. :smalltongue:

Rebonack
2009-06-11, 10:40 AM
I think people acknowledged this when they got to the "Samus vs the entire UNSC military" point. :smalltongue:

True, but recall that both the Pirates and the Feds, while not as advanced in terms of sheer technological ZOMG as Samus' power suit, are still quite competent. Comparing Halo to Metroid in these 'who would win?' scenarios is kind of silly.

Halo is Sci-fi. Metroid is LAWL, TEH FUTURE! The Metroid universe is scary. You have bugs that can shrug off blasts from high-end anti-infantry weapons. You have nastier bugs that can take shots from incredibly potent energy weapons like it's nothing. You have personnel weapons that shoot micro-black holes and miniature stars for crying out loud. Even the standard Pirate security drone is packing a rotary rail-gun that's lobbing rounds comparable to what we mount on fighter aircraft. And the armor people wear in Metroid can take it and keep fighting.

Both games are great fun. But drawing comparisons on their respective technology levels is like comparing muskets to intercontinental ballistic missiles.

Zeful
2009-06-11, 11:37 AM
But then is she gets in the ship, she'll be up against the UNSC ships. Different sort of fight. And since I actually don't know much about Samus's ship, it's one I can't really judge. All depictions of Samus' gunship use a similar fast ship, capable of achieving escape velocity in under a minute. It also seems particularly agile in space, making UNSC heavy ship-to-ship weaponry useless against her.

Prime32
2009-06-11, 11:51 AM
All depictions of Samus' gunship use a similar fast ship, capable of achieving escape velocity in under a minute. It also seems particularly agile in space, making UNSC heavy ship-to-ship weaponry useless against her.
It has sustained damage from time to time, but all systems other than the FTL drive seem to remain online (and possibly the thrusters used to achieve escape velocity, though if it takes damage while in space it can still fly). It also features self-repair nanotechnology.

Zeful
2009-06-11, 12:37 PM
It has sustained damage from time to time, but all systems other than the FTL drive seem to remain online (and possibly the thrusters used to achieve escape velocity, though if it takes damage while in space it can still fly). It also features self-repair nanotechnology.

I was pointing out it's a fast and maneuverable vehicle, making heavy weaponry unpractical.

Oslecamo
2009-06-11, 12:49 PM
But then is she gets in the ship, she'll be up against the UNSC ships. Different sort of fight. And since I actually don't know much about Samus's ship, it's one I can't really judge.

Let's put it this way:

Not even a single time has anyone dared to face Samus in ship to ship combat. Her enemies hide well below the earth just so she can't use her ship to blow the hell away from them. Plus when facing enemy capital ships Samus is more than capable of geting close enough.

Anyway, like Rebonack pointed out, Metroid already won this when you're sending one side's whole army against one of the other side's champion.

Metroid's power scale is just much higher than Halo. I'm not saying Chief and the UNSC are weack, just that their techonlogy's power level is too beyond that of Samus nad her enemies.

After all, no one in Halo had ever had to face anything close to monsters the size of scyscrappers that live in lakes of acids and laugh at all but the heaviest weapons. This kind of thing is however common in Metroid.

Prime32
2009-06-11, 01:02 PM
Let's put it this way:

Not even a single time has anyone dared to face Samus in ship to ship combat. Her enemies hide well below the earth just so she can't use her ship to blow the hell away from them.
Not exactly. Ghor took on Samus's ship in his transformable ship/powered armour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is9GuuPbpc8&fmt=18).

Again, the capabilities of Samus's ships vary. In MP1 it was equipped with two Power Beams and a Plasma Beam. The MP3 one carries a grapple and large numbers of missiles. The one in Metroid Fusion is just a GF ship that was lying around - we don't know if it was a standard model or a prototype.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-11, 02:07 PM
After all, no one in Halo had ever had to face anything close to monsters the size of scyscrapers that live in lakes of acids and laugh at all but the heaviest weapons. This kind of thing is however common in Metroid.

Gravemind Versus Ridley?

Selrahc
2009-06-11, 02:31 PM
Anyway, like Rebonack pointed out, Metroid already won this when you're sending one side's whole army against one of the other side's champion.

I'm still pretty sure that my first post strategy would work. 10 champions versus one champion. Could work..

The entire army against Samus would definitely kill Samus. Seriously. The Haloverse is ruled by an elite military industrial complex. Billions of men under arms and a high degree of mobilization and intense military production. Not to giant spaceships, capable of planet levelling devastation. As well as that it's got some pretty damn good AI's and black ops.

If Samus killed a hundred thousand troops every day, she wouldn't make an impact on the strength of the army. And since the Galactic Federation is a peaceful one, and the UNSC is capable of reverse engineering technology in pretty quick order.

After all, no one in Halo had ever had to face anything close to monsters the size of scyscrappers that live in lakes of acids and laugh at all but the heaviest weapons. This kind of thing is however common in Metroid.

Guilty Spark? Capable of surviving a fusion reaction that detroyed a planet. Shoots gigantic beams of energy that instantly kill you.

Gravemind is an utterly humongous flood, who is capable of booping magic.

Scarabs are monsters the size of very big buildings, that can demolish cities.

Perhaps also worthy of mention, the Heretic Leader was capable of perfect illusions. Tartarus was capable of weathering the assault of dozens of elites as well as Marine special forces and the Arbiter. The giant hovering airships of the UNSC and the mega Sentinels.

Less common perhaps, but there are still big monsters in the Halo series.

Contradictum
2009-06-11, 05:45 PM
Let's put it this way:

Metroid's power scale is just much higher than Halo. I'm not saying Chief and the UNSC are weack, just that their techonlogy's power level is too beyond that of Samus nad her enemies.

Metroid did not win. You see the only true soldiers or people who can fight on the GF are there bounty hunters. And the only bounty hunter who could actually make a difference against a couple of thousand soldiers is Samus. Hence the only reason there saying that Samus VS. UNSC is basically GF VS. UNSC. Seriously the only thing a GF soldier can do against a such numbers is die in a pointless manner as the UNSC juggernaut, solely created to fight a huge tide of aliens many times more powerful than them, destroys the relatively peaceful GF.

Let's put it this way:

I dunno, a SCARAB is pretty big. And its also impossible to destroy with any ground based weaponry other than a laser beam from space or nukes...

You guys are all Metroid fanboys who can't see the fact that if a gigantic army rolls someplace undefended (Ex. The Galactic Federations space), the GF is gonna get raped. What do the Galactic Federation fight? A couple of "Space Pirates" who go around and raid places. Yeah right.

Also if a Covenant army numbering close to the trillions encounters some Space Pirates... Well there can't be more than a couple billion space pirates so what are they going to do? Die faster?

EDIT:
On Selrahc's point about sentinel tech, the Onyx type Sentinels mass produce themselves for every one lost comes a new one almost instantly, even a Metroid can't survive an indefinite production of sentinels. Those things are true smart AI's that can think and have creativity. Pretty sure those things can adapt and figure out a way to shoot an ice beam or a weapon to hurt a metroid, and with an unending flow of them?.

Metroids vs Flood, i just realized something. The flood could stand a chance against metroids, after all Flood have some intelligence. The Metroids float around till they find something to drain.

Zain
2009-06-11, 06:21 PM
Why don't we set this up like deadest warrior on spike?
(Please note that I will use fluff, not game play for this)
UNSC Vs Galactic Federation plant to plant war

(the parasites vs. each other a redundant because they would merge into one super-bug)

Aspects

UNSC
Hero: Spartan Squad (6)
Heavy Starship: Pillar of Autumn
Base Infantry: UNSC marine
Power Amour: Mark V MJOLNIR
Transport: pelican dropship

Galactic Federation
Hero: Samus Aran
Heavy Starship: ?
Base Infantry: Galactic Federation Marine Corps Normal trooper
Power Amour: Samus Amour
Transport: The Aries-Class Transport vessels
Note that I need help with some of the Galactic Federation one as I am not as familiar with theses games. (PM me)

I will calulate the odds afther I have all the info

Thank you

Prime32
2009-06-11, 06:25 PM
You guys are all Metroid fanboys who can't see the fact that if a gigantic army rolls someplace undefended (Ex. The Galactic Federations space), the GF is gonna get raped. What do the Galactic Federation fight? A couple of "Space Pirates" who go around and raid places. Yeah right.
Okay, I've been supporting the Metroid side for most of these, but I think I'd have to give it to the UNSC. That said, the GF's capabilities are much vaguer than the Halo guys, so that could change when Other M comes out (which seems to be going into greater detail).

Also if a Covenant army numbering close to the trillions encounters some Space Pirates... Well there can't be more than a couple billion space pirates so what are they going to do? Die faster?The Space Pirates are outnumbered, but very good at hiding. They would be hard to wipe out at least.

Contradictum
2009-06-11, 06:43 PM
Okay, I've been supporting the Metroid side for most of these, but I think I'd have to give it to the UNSC. That said, the GF's capabilities are much vaguer than the Halo guys, so that could change when Other M comes out (which seems to be going into greater detail).

The Space Pirates are outnumbered, but very good at hiding. They would be hard to wipe out at least.

To true, i admit they probably wouldn't be able to wipe them out for a very long time.

The only thing that bothers me is the Chozo/Samus thing. Sorta impossible to beat :(

Rebonack
2009-06-11, 07:01 PM
As seen in MP:3 both the Pirate and Feds have rather potent capital ships and standing armies. Do recall at the end that the Fed invaded and locked down the whole of the Pirate homeworld in a matter of hours. From a logistics standpoint this is quite a bit more difficult than simply glassing the surface.

Let's assume the Pirate homeworld has a population even a quarter of Earth's. Now consider that the Pirates are a genetically and cyberneticly engineered warrior race for the most part. Now consider how many GF troopers it would take to accomplish this task. How much man-power. Hardware. Organization.

Standing army.

Big enough to subjugate and occupy a planet.

Puny?

Small?

Incompetent?

These aren't the correct adjectives.

Let me also repeat that standard personnel powered-armor (yes, the Marines in Metroid have augmented armor and shields) in the Metroid universe can shrug off rounds from a gattling cannon larger than the warthog's. The basic troops also pack weapons that can penetrate this armor. Got a good idea of how insane that is? Great. Now scale that up to capital ship levels.

As for Everyone Vs Samus, you just created a video-game scenario. The protagonist always wins those. Realistically, yes. If everyone in the whole Halo universe found and focus-fired on Samus she would die.

Ten Spartans versus Samus? Without any exaggeration at all the weapons and armor and shields used by basic Pirate troopers is significantly better than what the Spartans are equipped with. Samus can wipe the floor with ten Pirates. Ten Spartans would not survive this encounter.

This isn't a fan-boy issue. This is a pretty basic case of looking at technology in the respective game-universes and figuring out which is the equivalent of Earth-future and which one is ridiculously over the top powerful.

Llama231
2009-06-11, 10:57 PM
The entire army against Samus would definitely kill Samus. Seriously. The Haloverse is ruled by an elite military industrial complex. Billions of men under arms and a high degree of mobilization and intense military production. Not to giant spaceships, capable of planet levelling devastation. As well as that it's got some pretty damn good AI's and black ops.

If Samus killed a hundred thousand troops every day, she wouldn't make an impact on the strength of the army. And since the Galactic Federation is a peaceful one, and the UNSC is capable of reverse engineering technology in pretty quick order.

Remember, Samus does not need to kill EVERY SINGLE soldier to win, she just needs to defeat the civilization. Just stealthily directing some NOVA or other planet-killing stuff at important planets like Earth, etc. would take them out eventually. This is not so much Samus flying in against the entire military force, and letting all of them shoot at her until she dies.

Additionally, the other bounty hunters are at least nearly as effective as Samus, and if they worked together, the feds could certainly use them to win.

Oh, and the federation as a whole is not only bounty hunters.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Federation

As for heavy ships of the feds: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Olympus-class_battleship

chiasaur11
2009-06-11, 11:11 PM
Remember, Samus does not need to kill EVERY SINGLE soldier to win, she just needs to defeat the civilization. Just stealthily directing some NOVA or other planet-killing stuff at important planets like Earth, etc. would take them out eventually. This is not so much Samus flying in against the entire military force, and letting all of them shoot at her until she dies.

Additionally, the other bounty hunters are at least nearly as effective as Samus, and if they worked together, the feds could certainly use them to win.

Oh, and the federation as a whole is not only bounty hunters.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Federation

As for heavy ships of the feds: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Olympus-class_battleship

Nearly as good?

I doubt. Sammy's a living legend, to the point the GF rank and file assume her stories have to be total bull. If every other hunter could pull that, I figure there wouldn't be a galaxy left!

Prime32
2009-06-12, 07:05 AM
Nearly as good?

I doubt. Sammy's a living legend, to the point the GF rank and file assume her stories have to be total bull. If every other hunter could pull that, I figure there wouldn't be a galaxy left!That's in MP2. MP3 and MPH present it differently - the other Hunters (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Bounty_Hunter) are highly competent (if more specialised), though Samus is the most famous ("It's an honour to meet you, ma'am.")

I'm not sure why they didn't send Noxus (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Noxus) or Rundas (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Rundas) to deal with the Metroids, to be honest.

Oslecamo
2009-06-12, 07:41 AM
Billions of men under arms and a high degree of mobilization and intense military production. Not to giant spaceships, capable of planet levelling devastation. As well as that it's got some pretty damn good AI's and black ops.

I don't know about numbers, but the GF has it's own giant space ships with heavy weaponry and their basic troopers can go toe to toe with basic space pirates. They don't glassed a planet that I know, but hey, that's probably because it's cheaper to send in Samus if you really want to blow up a planet.

We're talking about SAMUS ARAN, DESTROYER OF WORLDS here.:smalltongue: If she gets pissed off, she'll be killing billions every day as she lands on the UNSC planets and makes them go boom.

Plus the GF isn't exactly peacefull. They have a considerable standing army. And they're always designing new and deadlier weapons(cough phazon cough).

Guilty Spark? Capable of surviving a fusion reaction that detroyed a planet. Shoots gigantic beams of energy that instantly kill you.

Gravemind is an utterly humongous flood, who is capable of booping magic.

Scarabs are monsters the size of very big buildings, that can demolish cities.

Perhaps also worthy of mention, the Heretic Leader was capable of perfect illusions. Tartarus was capable of weathering the assault of dozens of elites as well as Marine special forces and the Arbiter. The giant hovering airships of the UNSC and the mega Sentinels.

Less common perhaps, but there are still big monsters in the Halo series.

Yes, but did Master Chief defeated them single handedly?

Selrahc
2009-06-12, 07:56 AM
Yes, but did Master Chief defeated them single handedly?

It doesn't really matter if he did. Because I've never been saying that Master Chief is equally as powerful as Samus.

You said that nothing in the Haloverse came close to the bosses Samus fights. Clearly some of the things do.

I don't know about numbers, but the GF has it's own giant space ships with heavy weaponry

But we don't have any proper point of comparison.

and their basic troopers can go toe to toe with basic space pirates

Basic space pirates are rubbish. Basic space pirates are what Samus fights and beats easily when she has no armour upgrades, no weapons upgrades, and no speed or mobility upgrades. And they still don't manage to do much.

We're talking about SAMUS ARAN, DESTROYER OF WORLDS here. If she gets pissed off, she'll be killing billions every day as she lands on the UNSC planets and makes them go boom.

How? She isn't fighting against people who leave a big *DESTROY PLANET NOW* switch at the end of their evil lair to neatly wrap up the plot at the end of the game.

And if she attempts to brute force her way through enemies who *don't* leave health and missiles lying around every corner for her to use, then she'll soon run out of supplies against a determined enemy force. How hard would the Metroid games be if you didn't have any power ups to help you at all?

Theres also the fact that she can't just escape to heal up and recharge. The UNSC will block off her lines of retreat. Stop her from getting back off the planet easily.

Prime32
2009-06-12, 08:56 AM
And if she attempts to brute force her way through enemies who *don't* leave health and missiles lying around every corner for her to use, then she'll soon run out of supplies against a determined enemy force.
Those pickups are created by the interaction of her beam and the target's lefe energy, yada yada. She can get them from killing anything (or blowing up crates).

Plus, she can make her own upgrades by defeating powerful enemies. So if she destroys a Scarab she gets a Scarab gun. :smallwink:

Llama231
2009-06-12, 09:07 AM
It doesn't really matter if he did. Because I've never been saying that Master Chief is equally as powerful as Samus.

You said that nothing in the Haloverse came close to the bosses Samus fights. Clearly some of the things do.
Agreed, but the largest things in Metroid such as the metroids of all ages, and other "final bosses" are probably much more powerful than most anything in Halo. Oh, and Ridley of course.

But we don't have any proper point of comparison.
What do you mean?
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Olympus-class_battleship
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Marathon-class_Cruiser

Basic space pirates are rubbish. Basic space pirates are what Samus fights and beats easily when she has no armour upgrades, no weapons upgrades, and no speed or mobility upgrades. And they still don't manage to do much.
That's saying quite a bit to even possibly harm Samus even at her weakest. Her starting equipment already allows her to shred any of Halo's normal soldiers.

How? She isn't fighting against people who leave a big *DESTROY PLANET NOW* switch at the end of their evil lair to neatly wrap up the plot at the end of the game. Really? (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Nova) That looks like a *DESTROY PLANET NOW* switch to me.

And if she attempts to brute force her way through enemies who *don't* leave health and missiles lying around every corner for her to use, then she'll soon run out of supplies against a determined enemy force. How hard would the Metroid games be if you didn't have any power ups to help you at all?http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Suit
"The Power Suit is apparently able to assimilate almost any technological upgrade into its system, regardless of the upgrade's origins."
Edit: Ninja'd.

Theres also the fact that she can't just escape to heal up and recharge. The UNSC will block off her lines of retreat. Stop her from getting back off the planet easily.
When she runs out of missiles and bombs, she can still fight her way out, and that assuming that they are ever needed. Still, it's not like Samus is going to go to the middle of the UNSC, declare war on it, then wait for all of the military to show up, and not consider retreat until nearly out of health.

Mando Knight
2009-06-12, 10:14 AM
When she runs out of missiles and bombs, she can still fight her way out,

...Ah, her suit has a bomb generator. She can't run out.

Prime32
2009-06-12, 10:25 AM
...Ah, her suit has a bomb generator. She can't run out.
Power Bombs are another story - she only has about a dozen of them.

Y'know, I'd love to see how Samus would deal with The Library. :smalltongue: For a start, the Index would be absorbed by her suit before Guilty Spark could take it...

AstralFire
2009-06-12, 10:56 AM
This entire argument suffers massive and crippling problems in the simple fact that Nintendo writes fantasy, Bungie wrote and R&D'd Science Fiction. Soft Sci-Fi, to be sure, but they did their research. Nintendo wrote everything on a basis of 'it sounds cool.' Now, there's nothing wrong exactly with 'it sounds cool', but it not only has a tendency to put things much higher up on a power curve (implied already by a lot of people here) but also makes for more wildly varying display of capability, because you're not working off of a refsheet, you're writing what makes sense to you at the time.

The Galactic Federation should logically be grinding the dust of the UNSC due to better technology and the ability to lockdown a planet. On the other hand, Galactic Federation is a plot setpiece historically in the series, whereas the UNSC has been vital since the beginning of the Halo series. The UNSC's competence in a bad situation is going to be highlighted much more often and is also more vital to their existence. It's sort of the difference between taking the average temperature of Mars and of Mercury.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-12, 02:18 PM
Power Bombs are another story - she only has about a dozen of them.

Y'know, I'd love to see how Samus would deal with The Library. :smalltongue: For a start, the Index would be absorbed by her suit before Guilty Spark could take it...

Aha! Finally, something Samus would lose at.

She wouldn't have Cortana to tell her, "Bad girl, no blowing up the galaxy today." before she put the Index in.

ninja_penguin
2009-06-12, 02:20 PM
Aha! Finally, something Samus would lose at.

She wouldn't have Cortana to tell her, "Bad girl, no blowing up the galaxy today." before she put the Index in.

Although having three minutes to escape the galaxy would be pretty sweet.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-12, 02:26 PM
Although having three minutes to escape the galaxy would be pretty sweet.

Well, it is said in several games that Samus and her world is a -galaxies- spanning world. So there is always a new one to go to I guess

Mando Knight
2009-06-12, 02:46 PM
Hold on. I just realized the real reason why Samus works alone and always wins.

If you think about it, it's quite logical. Her enemies are pirates, she works alone...

...Yes, Samus is definitely a Space Ninja. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2009-06-12, 03:31 PM
Well, it is said in several games that Samus and her world is a -galaxies- spanning world. So there is always a new one to go to I guessThe Japanese don't know the difference between "galaxy", "sector" and "system" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouFailAstronomyForever) (case in point: Super Mario Galaxy). Apparently, neither do the developers of the American Metroid games.

In fact, they have only one word meaning both "star" and "planet", so that will tell you how detailed their astronomical terminology is. :smallannoyed:

Innis Cabal
2009-06-12, 03:46 PM
Thing is, two actual galaxies are mentioned, as are seperate solar systems

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Solar_system
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Federation_Solar_System

The Dasha Region is in the Milky Way (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Dasha_Region)

As is the Space Pirate Homeworld (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Pirate_Homeworld)

Then there is the Tetra Galaxy which makes its debut in Hunters (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Tetra_Galaxy)

The Alimbic Cluster (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Alimbic_Cluster)
Is not in the Milky Way

Llama231
2009-06-12, 07:54 PM
Its only a matter of time until someone creates a thread debating Metroid vs. Borg...

ImmortalAer
2009-06-12, 08:07 PM
Its only a matter of time until someone creates a thread debating Metroid vs. Borg...

Metroid versus ...

Fracture? :smallconfused:

Llama231
2009-06-12, 08:26 PM
I mean, we have a Metroid vs. Halo, and a Halo vs. Borg, so naturally the next thing would be Metroid vs. Borg.:smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2009-06-12, 08:54 PM

The question is: would Samus assimilate Borg tech into her suit, or would the Borg assimilate the suit into them? Or would she just have to deal with Phaze-Borg?

Kyouhen
2009-06-13, 12:12 AM
The question is: would Samus assimilate Borg tech into her suit, or would the Borg assimilate the suit into them? Or would she just have to deal with Phaze-Borg?

Both. Simultaneously! She'd absorb them as they absorb her!

ImmortalAer
2009-06-13, 02:40 AM
Both. Simultaneously! She'd absorb them as they absorb her!

An easier explaination is that she'd become the Borg Queen, and 1000x more badass, as she now has billions of mindless drones to serve her every whim... not to mention they'd be invunerable to the Space Pirates after all of five minutes, saving her the work of the first half of each game. :smalltongue:

Oslecamo
2009-06-13, 10:54 AM
...Yes, Samus is definitely a Space Ninja. :smalltongue:

Transformation powers? Check.

Vow of silence? Check.

Always honors her contracts? Check.

Crazy jumping techniques? Check.

Yep, definetely a ninja!:smallbiggrin: