PDA

View Full Version : Scion: Ragnarok Help with Character and question

CheshireCatAW
2009-06-07, 07:26 PM
I need some help making a character for a Ragnarok Scion campaign. My concept is that of a typical 50's private eye in the modern age. Like Bruce Willis in the last Boyscout or maybe a Harry Dresden type.

My major question is where are the most effective places to spend my points? I'm planning to spread out my points...

Mental:
Perception 4
Intelligence 4
Wits 3

Physical:
Strength 1
Dexterity 5
Stamina 3

Social:
Charisma 2
Manipulate 4
Appearance 1

He's going to focus on investigation, stealth and marksmanship with a relic peacemaker revolver. He's a Scion of Odin, and I really want him to have Prophesy and Mystery, maybe even magic. However, I don't know what boons might be most effective for my character.

My major question is how to spend points during character creation to get the best bang for my buck. What are some decent boons to take that would make sense? What are some of the best Knacks to take, my goodness there are so many that look useful.

Any major tips that you might pass on?

I've never read or seen anything about the campaign, and neither has the ST or anyone else in the group. Would it hurt the group to have me as an investigative character as opposed to a more martial one?

I think that covers all my questions for now, thank you.

horus42
2009-06-09, 10:49 PM
Well, I'm a somewhat experienced Scion player, and I'll try my best to give you some help. (Also, I joined this forum just so I could give you my semi-useful advice)

In my opinion, since Ragnarok is sort of a "huge battle at the end of the world" kind of thing, having combat expertise is a good thing. Although, with the 5 dex, you shouldn't really have an issue if you're using a Peacemaker.

I'm assuming you're starting as a Hero, and as such, Prophecy and Mystery are pretty much useless at this stage. As a Hero, you can only use them once per story, so I usually don't bother with them until I'm at least a Demigod.

I've always found that Epic Dex, Stamina, and Wits are always useful, as are the associated Knacks.

As for Boons, Let's see... Odin has a whole bunch of Purviews... Death is pretty useful (especially certain Boons that could help with your Investigation-y-ness) War Boons would be useful in the whole Ragnarok thing, and Psychopomp Boons are just plain fun.

Hope that helps. :smallsmile:

Friv
2009-06-09, 11:55 PM
Short-term, look into Dexterity Knacks. Trick Shooter makes you hit better, at the cost of a bit of speed, and Untouchable Opponent is ungodly (pardon the pun) powerful. Combined with a good gun and some Epic Dex, you're set.

As time goes on, though, you're going to need to pick up relics to let your guns bypass soak or do something other than damage. By early Demigod-level, guns just can't match up against Epic Strength and Epic Stamina.

Also, on a "bang for buck" level, stick with Level 1 Epics and Boons - in fact, you want most of your points to be in Level 1 Epics. It gives you a range of tricks, and the first dot of an Epic Attribute costs twice as much as the second once you hit experience. Similarly, the first dot of an Epic costs the same as a Level 1 Boon in your starting dots, but twice as much in experience points. Second dots at creation waste experience. Sad but true. Buy the first dot of everything you can see a free success being useful for (in your case, Perception / Intelligence / Wits / Dexterity / Stamina / Manipulation for sure, and possibly Charisma as well), and then fill out however you want.

How long-term is your game going? I don't actually have Ragnorak, so I don't know what the timeline on it is.