PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Permanency

Elminster1
2009-06-07, 08:59 PM
Currently I am playing an Elven Generalist wizard (with first substitution level). So far my setup looks like Wizard 5/Guildmage of Waterdeep5 (shooting for Archmage as a finisher).

Anyway, we are approaching level 11, and I decided to go crazy with Permanency and spent alot of experience. Right now, these are the spells I have permanently attached:

1. Fly
2. Arcane Sight
3. Comprehend Languages
4. Read Magic

I just wanted to know suggestions for maybe something a little out of the box and new as a personal permanent spell attachment.

Jack_Simth
2009-06-07, 09:11 PM
Currently I am playing an Elven Generalist wizard (with first substitution level). So far my setup looks like Wizard 5/Guildmage of Waterdeep5 (shooting for Archmage as a finisher).

Anyway, we are approaching level 11, and I decided to go crazy with Permanency and spent alot of experience. Right now, these are the spells I have permanently attached:

1. Fly
2. Arcane Sight
3. Comprehend Languages
4. Read Magic

I just wanted to know suggestions for maybe something a little out of the box and new as a personal permanent spell attachment.
Umm... by default, Fly's not on the list of spells that can be made Permanent.

Darkvision (it's really useful), Reduce Person (+2 Touch AC), Tongues (talk to anyone), and See Invisibility (never get caught by that invisible guy again) are often useful.

Animefunkmaster
2009-06-07, 09:21 PM
First thing that usually gets posted on these kinds of threads is an item, usually a bracer/gauntlet/glove with gust of wind with permanency. I could see an object with solid fog on it could be interesting with a bag of holding. There is often talk of shrink item, but shrink item already has a massive duration.

An animated statue is generally a good minion. Wall of force attached to an item seems like it would have interesting results. I feel an object with phase door should be useful somehow, if for nothing else then a large bag of holding.

Elminster1
2009-06-08, 11:10 AM
True, Fly isn't on the standar list in Core. However, the DM allowed me to pay an EXP cost and make it permanent. Otherwise, Tongues would be awesome as would See Invisibility and Darkvision. I'll definitley keep those in mind up and coming.

SSGoW
2009-06-08, 11:25 AM
well if you can get your DM to allow it then detect thoughts and protection from enegy would be good spells to get attached :p

JellyPooga
2009-06-08, 11:26 AM
Prestidigitation.

That is all :smalltongue:

SSGoW
2009-06-08, 11:48 AM
haha nice :p *sniffs* smells like snuggle in here O_o *looks at the guy in a pointy hat*

hmm fire sheild would be nice also :p

of course if ii was allowed only one spell to be permanant i sooo would go with true strike that way if ii ran out of spells then my melee will atleast hit :p

and if you want to keep up with barbarians and monks then ExpeditiousRetreat (for times that flying aint an option (dungeons and caves of the like)

Elminster1
2009-06-08, 11:53 AM
Detect Thoughts is hot :smallcool:. Prestidigitation would be cool, for fun. Some sort of permanent ability to absorb or reflect targeted spells back at enemies would be sweet. Of course, that would most likley be 4-5 levels from now.

SSGoW
2009-06-08, 11:59 AM
well really just about any spell would be helpful but there are feats you can take to get extra magical abilities (like iron skin or chain lightning) i forget what these feats are called but i believe they are iin the complete arcane hmm not sure its been to long since i've used one :p

oh i do sugest water breathing if you are ever near liquid (or get the amulet that puts a globe of air around your head that protects from gases also)

Elminster1
2009-06-08, 02:42 PM
Well, if I ever need something like that, when I hit level 11, is when I am going to grab Contingency. Then, the real fun begins, lol.