PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so many topic on "the red hand of doom"

Shinizak
2009-06-07, 10:03 PM
Is it really so good of a campaign? Should I buy it for my group?

Eldariel
2009-06-07, 10:12 PM
You'd probably enjoy it. It's a very detailed and quite interesting campaign for midlevels, with memorable opponents and awesome customizability (note how many opponents AslanCross has customized to a great effect), and great flow - a flexible DM can even give players as much freedom as the crave since the adventure works fine on its own as an event even without the PCs (of course, that bodes ill for the vale).

Oh, and it's awesome to read about :P

ericgrau
2009-06-07, 10:12 PM
That seems to be the general opinion, yes. I can't say personally, except that I plan on buying it as soon as I get the free time for prep and the opportunity to run it.

AslanCross
2009-06-07, 11:34 PM
I only own three adventure books, and I have to say it's the best of the three. It has a good story, interesting characters, and offers a lot of leeway for the DM. (The other two I own assume your characters will follow plot hooks faithfully)

It also has really well thought-out encounters and has generally good editing.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-08, 06:35 AM
My experience with it is that it is very well written, and while it does leave a lot up to the DMs in certain spots, that can be seen as both a good and a bad thing. (I.E. it requires the DM to fill in a few things, but if you're willing to do a little work you end up with a campaign that's customized for your group, which is awesome.)

My favorite thing about it is that it basically tells you what happens if your players don't follow the plot (SPOILER: the horde invades), then lays out the adventure in semi-modular parts and keeps everything fairly optional.

Also, it is EPIC. A very memorable adventure from either side of the screen.

kjones
2009-06-08, 10:30 AM
It is by far the best module I've ever run. I would describe it as a Lord of the Rings - type story that actually works properly with D&D-style mechanics (unlike, say, Lord of the Rings).

Iku Rex
2009-06-08, 10:42 AM
I would describe it as a Lord of the Rings - type story that actually works properly with D&D-style mechanics (unlike, say, Lord of the Rings).Nonsense. Lord of the Rings works perfectly with D&D-style mechanics. For certain definitions of "perfectly", anyway.
(http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612)

Dagren
2009-06-08, 11:06 AM
Nonsense. Lord of the Rings works perfectly with D&D-style mechanics. For certain definitions of "perfectly", anyway.
(http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612)Yep (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/22.html). Perfectly (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/49.html). :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2009-06-08, 10:50 PM
I've played through the module once, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It really is a very good mega-module/mini campaign. :smallsmile:

BEWARE THE DISCREPANCY IN THE CHARACTER LEVELS BETWEEN THE OUTER COVER AND THE INSIDE OF THE BOOK

...our group started at level 6 instead of level 5 because of this printing error. Not a huge deal, but still...

AslanCross
2009-06-08, 11:48 PM
I've played through the module once, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It really is a very good mega-module/mini campaign. :smallsmile:

BEWARE THE DISCREPANCY IN THE CHARACTER LEVELS BETWEEN THE OUTER COVER AND THE INSIDE OF THE BOOK

...our group started at level 6 instead of level 5 because of this printing error. Not a huge deal, but still...

Yes, that was mildly annoying. Good thing I decided to start at level 5.

crimson77
2009-06-09, 02:08 AM

Does anyone know what is the correct level to start the party at? My thought is the inside of the book because it is written by the actual writers. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Draz74
2009-06-09, 02:15 AM
Yeah, the common consensus seems to be that Level 5 is more appropriate.

AslanCross
2009-06-09, 10:13 AM
Level 5 is more appropriate, yes. A quick look at the encounter levels in chapter 1 shows this.