PDA

View Full Version : The Giant Fury, a Barbarian PrC

squishycube
2005-07-05, 10:51 AM
Me and CthulhuChris made a prestige class for barbarians. It focuses on Rage mainly.

Giant Fury
http://www.w1k.com/entries/257500/257811BhJF_w.jpg
(image came from http://www.w1k.com)

Every barbarian knows the merits of Rage. The adrenaline pumping through his veins, the breathtaking strength and his ability to soak enormous amounts of hits.
But few barbarians know the true potential of Anger. Many barbarians even try to cultivate their Rage, trying to get it under control.
Giant Furies don’t do that. Becoming a Giant Fury is all about letting go, to let the beast take over and to benefit from the power this brings. While raging, a Giant Fury can blow himself up like a frog, becoming an enormous fighting machine that can crush his enemies beneath his bare feet.
A Giant Fury is not about style, or skill. It’s about hitting as hard and as long as humanly possible, and beyond.

Designer notes/FAQ:
In this section I will explain some of the thinking behind certain abilities and I'll answer some of the questions raised in the earlier topic.
- Path of Fury is intentionally very restrictive. This is because with the power this class delivers, it needs some serious drawbacks. Those drawbacks come for a large part at the later levels (with Monstrous Rage for going out with a bang). But this means that players must be forced to take those drawbacks. Path of Fury does this. A DM can consider relaxing it a little, for example to allow other rage-based classes to be taken in between Giant Fury levels. In this case I'd force a player to take all 10 Giant Fury levels within a certain amount of character levels (I'd suggest between 12 and 18). Think UA's bloodlines.
- The size changing is a magical ability akin to Enlarge Person. It makes the Giant Fury's equipment grow too. This was done for practical purposes mainly, but also because weapon base damage is not very important at higher levels. A variant is provided that doesn't have the growing equipment for low-magic worlds and/or DM's who want to tone the class down a little
- There are ways to keep control over a Mind Blanking Giant Fury: If a caster lands a Dominate or similar spell on the Giant Fury that caster gets to make the saves instead. If the caster succeeds at these saves the caster has normal control over the Giant Fury, as per the spell. Other mind controlling spells might work too, as per DM's discretion.
- There is a point in not taking this class and staying with regular barbarian:
You maintain control over yourself, you also miss out on the Barbarian's immunity to sneak attacks
- Monstrous rage is a template that is applied instead of the regular rage modifiers. The feats it gives are in addition to any feats you might already have
- The class does not get any extra resistance against mind affecting attacks. This would take away one of the class' main weaknesses, which are vulnerability to illusions/mind control and vulnerability to sneaking/assassins.

Fun comments
"Oh look, an old halfling with an axe. Awww...how cute."
"ME SMASH YOU NOW!!!"
"Holy Cra..."
*SMASH*
(By Tarkahn)

Frenzied berserker was cool, but this is awesome.
(By mr._Tentacles; thank you, I try :smallsmile:)

20+14+10+4+6=54 still. "Let's see. I give up 22 points of attack bonus, to deal 88 bonus damage from Supreme Power Attack. Does the castle still stand?" ;D
(By AtomicKitKat)

Hit Die:
d12

Requirements
Alignment:
Any Chaotic
Feats:
Instant Rage*, Destructive Rage*
*These feats are both in the Complete Warrior.
Base Attack Bonus:
+9
Special:
Rage Class Feature

Class Skills
The barbarian’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Level
4 + Int modifier.

Table: Giant Fury

Lvl Bab Fort Ref Will Class features
1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Greater Rage, Path of Fury
2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Damage reduction +1/--
3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Enhanced Rage: Enlarged: 2/day, Unstoppable Rage 10, Additional Rage 1/day
4th +4 +4 +1 +1 Enhanced Rage +1
5th +5 +4 +1 +1 Damage reduction +2/--
6th +6/+1 +5 +2 +2 Enhanced Rage: Every Rage, Unstoppable Rage 15, Additional Rage 1/day
7th +7/+2 +5 +2 +2 Enhanced Rage: Improved Enlarge, Mind Blank
8th +8/+3 +6 +2 +2 Mighty Rage, Uncontrollable rage, Damage reduction +3/--
9th +9/+4 +6 +3 +3 Unstoppable Rage 20, Additional Rage 1/day
10th +10/+5 +7 +3 +3 Monstrous rage

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Giant Fury’s gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Path of Fury
Anyone who takes levels in Giant Fury must take all ten levels of Giant Fury. If a Giant Fury takes any other class or prestige class levels before he has all Giant Fury levels loses all the Giant Fury’s class abilities and cannot gain more levels of Giant Fury.

Greater Rage (Ex): At 1st level, a Giant Fury finds new levels of anger, this increases his bonuses to Strength and Constitution giving him the greater rage ability as the barbarian class ability of the same name.

Additional Rage
The Giant Fury continues to receive additional rage per day. He gets one extra rage at 3rd, 6th and 9th level.

Damage Reduction (Ex)
At second level and every three levels thereafter (5 and 8) the Giant Fury's damage reduction improves by 1 point. The damage reduction gained by the Giant Fury stacks with that gained by the Barbarian.

Enhanced Rage (Su)
From third level the Giant Fury may choose to enhance his rage. He taps into the anger of the world around him, giving him supernatural powers. However, using these powers is risky and the Giant Fury may not be able to contain himself.

The first enhancement makes the Giant Fury grow one size category: height, weight space, reach, AC and attack penalties are determined according to the new size, the Giant Fury gains a further +2 size bonus to strength and constitution and a +2 bonus to natural armor. (Note: the Giant Fury does not get the -2 penalty to dexterity normally associated with growing larger.) With his anger, the Gaint Fury changes the fabric of reality so that his equipment change size with him.
At first this power is only usable twice a day

At 4th level, when using his Enhanced Rage ability, his strength and constitution raise with an additional +1 when raging. His AC receives an additional -1 penalty while raging.

From 6th level onward the Giant Fury can no longer choose whether to use his enhanced rage, the powers of anger know where to find him. Every time the Giants Fury rages he is affected by the Enhancements and finds it harder to contain his anger.

From 7th level the Giant Fury's size grows two size category's when raging, his strength and constitution bonuses from size increase to +4 and his natural armor bonus increase to +3. His equipment grows with him as with Enhanced Rage.

Unstoppable Rage (Su)
When a Giant Fury starts to use external sources of anger he finds them trying to take over, but allowing them to do so gives him access to great powers.
From 3rd level onward, while raging, the Giant Fury may not choose to end his rage prematurely, while there are enemies in sight, unless he uses a standard action and succeeds on a will save DC: 10 + number of rounds left + 2 per rage already used that day.

This DC increases by 5 with every three level of Giant Fury (15+ at 6 and 20+ at 9). The Giant fury may attempt a new save every round he spends a standard action to shake of the powers trying to control him.

for example Kursk's (human brb 9 / gfu 6 with a base con of 14) improved constitution would be 14+6+1(enhanced) +2 (from size)=23 this would give him 9 rounds of rage. He drops his enemy after two rounds and decides to end his rage, this would make his will save DC: 15+7=22, if he fails he may try again next round, the DC would then be 15+6=21. If that day he had already used a rage the DC would be two higher: 22+2=24

Mind Blank
From 7th level a Giant Fury using his rage ability can no longer think straight. He needs to attack and can no longer choose to make a trip, disarm or sunder attempt; he may not choose to deal non-lethal damage and will fight to the death. He also becomes completely unaware of his environment, taking a -10 on all wisdom based skill checks and wisdom checks. When all his enemies are down the Giant Fury rolls a will save each round against the same DC as with Unstoppable Rage, each time he fails his will save roll on the table below. This continues until he makes his will save or the rage wears of, whichever comes first.

Table:

d% Behavior
01-10 The rage wears of. The Giant Fury can act normally again
11-30 Do nothing but scream loudly.
21-50 Flee away from the party at top possible speed.
51-70 Attack the nearest non-living object or animal. (ground excluded)
71-99 Attack nearest creature (for this purpose, a familiar counts as part of the Giant Fury’s self).
100 DM’s Choice

Mighty Rage
At 8th level the Giant Fury gains Mighty Rage, as the barbarian class ability of the same name.

Uncontrollable Rage
Upon reaching 8th level the Giant Fury is no long able to control his fits of anger; anything that would make a man angry could sling the Giant Fury on a destructive rampage.
When losing more then one fifth of his current hit points in one attack or going under half his total HP the Giant Fury will automatically use his rage ability with all bonuses and penalty's described above.
Alternatively anything else that would normally get on his nerves has the potential to strike him off. On such an occasion the Giants Fury must succeed on a will save DC 20 to 30 (DM's discretion) or go into rage, setting his attitude towards the source of his anger as hostile.

Monstrous Rage
At 10th level the Giant Fury becomes a terrible beast when raging; instead of applying the normal effects of rage, apply following template:

Type:
Giant
Size:
Two categories larger than the base creature
Alignment:
Chaotic Neutral
Abilities:
+14 strength, +12 constitution, -2 dexterity, -8 intelligence (If this lowers the Giant Fury’s intelligence score below 3, it stays at 3.), -6 wisdom (If this lowers the Giant Fury’s wisdom score below 1, it stays at 1.), -4 charisma (If this lowers the Giant Fury’s charisma score below 4, it stays at 4.).
Feats:
Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow.
Special attacks:
The creature gains rock throwing (see Giant in the MM) as a special attack
Special qualities:
DR: 10 / lawful; natural armor +10

Monstrous Rage lasts as long as a raging normally would have lasted. The Giant Fury still needs to make a Will save to end his rage, as per Mind Blank.

Non-growing equipment variant:
In this variant, the Giant Fury's equipment does not change size when he rages like it normally does. Instead,
at 1st level he gets the following class feature:

Improvised Weapons:
You can use trees, rocks, or nearly anything else at hand to attack your foes. Anything from a ladder to a haunch of meat to a barstool is a weapon once you imbue it with your ki using this ability. Regardless of the exact item, the weapon does 1d6 points of damage at your more advantageous number of attacks per round. (This damage increases with size) Most items do bludgeoning damage, although shish-kabob skewers, for example, would do piercing damage. Long items (such as ladders) have reach according to their length, and items with many protrusions (such as chairs) give you a +2 bonus on Disarm attempts. Finally, large items with broad, flat surfaces (such as tables) can be upended to become improvised tower shields.

Everyman
2005-07-05, 02:32 PM
I've got to be the first to say this...
*Ahem*

HULK SMASH!! >:(

Hokay, I've got that out of me.

I really like the idea of the class. It's similar to the Frenzied Beserker class, but much more "powerful" and destructive. The fact that you round out the huge power boost with uncontrolled fury is very nice. This would make a great NPC.
"ME SMASH YOU NOW!!!"
"Holy Cra..."
*SMASH*

Just a few notes:
1) Unstoppable Rage says "starting at 9th level" right now. However, it starts at 3rd level on your table.
2) You do retain your standard feats when in Monsterous Rage, correct? I assume the transformation only adds those feats as temp. feats.

Otherwise, it looks really good.
Oh man. I just thought of something. I'm running an epic campaign. Could you imagine a 10 cleric/1 bar/10 Giant Fury walking around? This class is giving me ideas...

Chris the Pontifex
2005-07-05, 02:41 PM
I've got to be the first to say this...
*Ahem*

HULK SMASH!! >:(

Hokay, I've got that out of me.

I really like the idea of the class. It's similar to the Frenzied Beserker class, but much more "powerful" and destructive. The fact that you round out the huge power boost with uncontrolled fury is very nice. This would make a great NPC.
"ME SMASH YOU NOW!!!"
"Holy Cra..."
*SMASH*

Just a few notes:
1) Unstoppable Rage says "starting at 9th level" right now. However, it starts at 3rd level on your table.
2) You do retain your standard feats when in Monsterous Rage, correct? I assume the transformation only adds those feats as temp. feats.

Otherwise, it looks really good.
Oh man. I just thought of something. I'm running an epic campaign. Could you imagine a 10 cleric/1 bar/10 Giant Fury walking around? This class is giving me ideas...

1) it should be 3rd, at first it was 9th with the DC 20+mods later i changed it to be progressive

2) precisely

indeed its more of an npc as they could do a complete party whipeout if a rage goes wrong. (or the rogue starts to get annoying)

i like the idea of your build, remember you'll need two rage-based feats (can be solved by using the right order of the levels) and remember you cant cast spells (such as righteous might for even more awesomeness) while raging

Everyman
2005-07-05, 02:49 PM
Ah...but I suggested the cleric for the following reasons:
A) You can heal yourself afterwards
B) You could choose a domain/spells that enhance your abilities, then go uber-Hulk on'em.
Besides, my clerics always seem to be angry, chaotic people anyway. This just gives me a reason to be mean. ;)
"Hey, it isn't my fault you picked on him. I have to beat you senseless now. My class demands it!"

Anyway, I'm not letting my sister see this class. She's into Barbarians and Rage a tad too much (even took Extra Rage and Intimidating Rage as first two feats). If she saw this...well...she wouldn't hesitate to take it.

Also, my group wouldn't hesitate to start investing in Fly spells and effects. (She rolled a perfect 18 Str and has been increasing that and Constitution only. Add in the fact that she's been rolling high for HP as well, toss in Monsterous Rage, and I don't think anyone could stop her. Not even the Warmage.)

Sophistemon
2005-07-05, 03:04 PM
Heh, "Hulk Smash!" Good job; this looks interesting!

Chris the Pontifex
2005-07-05, 03:06 PM
well... suggestion and hold monster go a long way on a barbarian with a wisdom -6
dominate person wont work as type changes to giant, unless hes not gfu 10 ofcourse. anyway be carefull of pc's dominating this one.
(as an additional rule you could say the willsaves for uncontrollable and unstoppable rage are made by the dominator, if failed he brakes free)

ac and spot/listen are his weaknesses, try to divert its attention by illusions then send in the rogues and assasins
better yet, arcane tricksters

Everyman
2005-07-05, 03:46 PM
Perhaps a note should be made. If a Giant Fury becomes "uncontrollable", perhaps he should get either A) a Will save boost or B) immunity to mind-effecting abilities while raging.

Chris the Pontifex
2005-07-05, 04:03 PM
b) that would be a tad strong i guess, maybe just enchantments

to some extend the out-of-controll gfu is no longer in controll over himself, therefor if you controll him you dont controll him because he isnt in controll himself.
...i think

edit: a bit like hijjacking a plane with a un-overwritable autopilot

The Glyphstone
2005-07-05, 05:02 PM
Wow, vey interesting. One suggestion, you may want to relax the Path of Fury restrictions a little bit, right now it's rather prohibitive. with the starting requirements, you can start at 9th level Barb, and are forced to continue till you're a 19th lvl char (9 Barb/10 giant Fury), and can only get 1 more level of barb before going epic. Maybe change it to "if takes any class or prestige class that does not have Rage as a class feature, loses all abilities and cannot progress further." That'd allow you to jump between GF and Barb (or for extra cheese, add in Frenzied Berzerker), for a "slower" descent into the madness.

Chris the Pontifex
2005-07-05, 05:28 PM
i'll pass that one to SQ

apandapion
2005-07-05, 05:47 PM
Anyone who takes levels in Giant Fury must take all ten levels of Giant Fury. If a Giant Fury takes any other class or prestige class levels before he has all Giant Fury levels loses all the Giant Fury’s class abilities and cannot gain more levels of Giant Fury.

Why is this class more restrictive than, oh, any other class in existance?

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-05, 06:41 PM
Why is this class more restrictive than, oh, any other class in existance?

Because it's practically a savage progression. Seriously, it's like putting on 10 levels so that your ECL is about correct for a giant(except that no 19HD giant is ECL 19. :P )

bingo_bob
2005-07-05, 11:09 PM
"ME SMASH YOU NOW!!!"
"Holy Cra..."
*SMASH*

Oh man, I laughed for a minute straight when I read that.

But the class? Mmmm... Tasty Epic possibilties... Imagine a Barbarian 20, FB 10, GF 10...
" I start using monstrous rage. I use frenzy. I power attack with a full attack.

*rolls dice*

Ooh, a Critical! and Confirmed!

*rolls damage and shows to dm*

Uh, does the pseudonatural tarrasque we're facing have this many hp?"

DM: .......... uh......... no........."

But it's true, this class, like the FB, is not the best for PCs. Aw heck, I'll use it anyway. :) ;) :P :D

Everyman
2005-07-06, 01:48 AM
Thank you, I try to entertain. ;)

Anywho, may I make a quick suggestion? Why not lower the Base Attack requirement to +6, and add in a Special requirement? Something like: "Must have successfully defeated three worthy opponents (one on one) while raging." By making a change like this, one doesn't have to worry about going Epic in order to Max out the class.

Eh...I'll think of something better I'm sure. I know you guys can. I've just finished working a double shift, so I'm a tad tired. Someone help me out here.

EDIT: Perhaps a path restriction would work. Something that states that if you take a level in another non-Rage/non-Frenzy class, you may not continue to level this class. Seems to work, seeing how they are focusing on realising their anger, and doing anything else is distracting.
Ugh...I'm going to default to the paragraph above again. Someone help me out here.

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-06, 01:48 AM
Oh man, I laughed for a minute straight when I read that.

But the class? Mmmm... Tasty Epic possibilties... Imagine a Barbarian 20, FB 10, GF 10...
" I start using monstrous rage. I use frenzy. I power attack with a full attack.

*rolls dice*

Ooh, a Critical! and Confirmed!

*rolls damage and shows to dm*

Uh, does the pseudonatural tarrasque we're facing have this many hp?"

DM: .......... uh......... no........."

But it's true, this class, like the FB, is not the best for PCs. Aw heck, I'll use it anyway. :) ;) :P :D

Make sure you use a Large/Huge Heavy/Dire Pick/Scythe too. Use the feat from Lords of Madness to grow tentacles to help you wield it if you have to. As a bonus, you'll get an even bigger multiplier to your Strength mod for using more than 2 "hands" to hold the weapon. :P

Everyman
2005-07-06, 01:56 AM
I'm going to post just one more thing before heading to bed. A question, if you don't mind.

A Giant Fury changes size when he Rages. As I understand it, it is a combo of physical impulses and wild spirit that drives his Rage and (ergo) his size change. If that is so (and this isn't a magical ability), would the size change totally destroy any and all clothing that wasn't designed to handle that change? I don't know about you, but I know if I grew 10+ feet all at once, I'd probably rip through everything I was wearing (I'd be wearing rags, but rather revealing rags).

Just a quirky little though I had. Now....I'ma sleep.

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-06, 02:26 AM
I'm going to post just one more thing before heading to bed. A question, if you don't mind.

A Giant Fury changes size when he Rages. As I understand it, it is a combo of physical impulses and wild spirit that drives his Rage and (ergo) his size change. If that is so (and this isn't a magical ability), would the size change totally destroy any and all clothing that wasn't designed to handle that change? I don't know about you, but I know if I grew 10+ feet all at once, I'd probably rip through everything I was wearing (I'd be wearing rags, but rather revealing rags).

Buy Y-Fronts of Incredible Stretching.

squishycube
2005-07-06, 03:29 AM

Damn, the board ate my post.
Well, let's start again...

The fact that the growing isn't magical is indeed a problem, mainly because weapons won't change with him. You could consider this a 'balance' measure, since he wield weapons of the wrong size either while he is raging or while he is not raging.. Maybe I will change it so weapons do change with him. (that IS the largest benefit of being larger in my opinion. (besides grapple of course))

EDIT: The growing IS magical, it's a Supernatural ability. Let's just say that with a form of angry meditation he magically (or psionically, whatever) changes his size, so his weapons and clothes DO change size with him.

And about what The_Glyphstone mentioned: The class is so restricting because otherwise one could just take nine of the ten levels and don't need to deal with the problems that come with Monstrous Rage. I could change it to 'must take all ten levels at some point' but that is kind of stupid, since a player could then say 'Myu character will take those levels after this campaign' (in other words: when he is not playing the GFU anymore.)
So we thought it would be best to schtick with this.

Also, on immunity to Enchantmants and/or mind controlling effects, that would:
a) Make it TOTALLY impossible for a party to control a raging GFU when there are no enemies left and
b) would make him too powerful.

But I do agree with CthulhuChris (Pontifex) that the caster would need to make the will saves for controlling the GFU, which would not be a problem since caster == high will save, so it's mostly flavour.
Good example with the auto pilot :)

Also, Tarkahn I'll work in the special requirements, but I'll leave the others. It was intentional that you could only enter it at quite a high level, because its class features are quite powerful.

Thoughts about weapon size increasing are very welcome

Everyman
2005-07-07, 02:11 AM
Eh...I'm getting bad vibes about any class that requires you take this and only this or lose all abilities (Path of Fury). I don't remember reading that last night. Did you put that up recently? Either way, I'd still think a Paladin-esque variant (deviate from the path and never return) works a bit better. They still have to continue if they want all the bonuses and ability boosts.

Anywho, I do have a note. Usually PrCs are designed so the "ideal class" could take it by 5th or 6th level (aka. the people you'd think would take it could take it). At 9th level, many are trying to define themselves and their character as unique. By requiring high stats AND the Path of Fury, you forcing them all to become fairly similar. Granted, they may not have all the same feats, but are likely to share a lot of the same skills. I'm not saying you can't require high stats. The True Necromancer is 13 levels long, and I seem to remember a PrC in C. Adventurer that required you to have 13 ranks in a skill to start (it focused on skill boosting). Just make sure it is worth the requirement.

McMouse
2005-07-07, 03:32 AM
My question is this: What's the advantage to taking straight Barbarian versus this? You get everything a Barbarian gets, but better. Seems like every barbarian would want to take this PrC...

squishycube
2005-07-07, 03:45 AM
The advantage of taking straight barbarian is that you maintain control over yourself. Taking this class means that totally lose it when you go into combat, which is something a more 'civilized' barbarian would never want.
This is also why you must take all ten levels, since otherwise you could just not take the last level.
I could change it to 'must take all ten levels within 15 (or X) character levels, along the lines of Bloodlines in Unearthed Arcana.

also, as mentioned, this class is probably more suitable for an NPC anyway...

Oh and to answer Tarkahn's last question:
It's designed to be enterable only on the higher levels as its a very powerful class, just like the Archmage. (Enterable from lvl 14 wizard and lvl 16 Sorc IIRC.)

ShneekeyTheLost
2005-07-07, 04:44 AM
War 4, Bar 6, Hulk 10...

Weapon focus/specialization Greataxe

Umm.... you saw what happens to a D12 weapon when it goes up two sizes?

Even worse...

duo wield, EWP: Bastard Sword, weapon focus/specialization Bastard Sword.

duo wielding D10 weapons... then they go up two sizes... umm... ouch. I'll take a -4 on my to-hits, considering my strength will be astronomical enough to more than make up for it. Make sure to pick up improved and greater two weapon fighting when they become available.

Don't forget to pick up power attack, cleave, and great cleave on the way. And wasn't there a feat that allowed a five foot step in a Great Cleave?

Umm... yea. You'd better not make him immune to mental, or he'd wipe the party.

Now for something truely scary...

Start this thing out as an ogre or giant and skill it up with barbarian until it meets the prerequsites, THEN hulk it out...

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-07, 07:09 AM
Tauric Dire Badger/Wolverine(with a 1HD Humanoid/Monstrous Humanoid as the top), ECL 5(or 7 if Wolverine). Rage at the drop of blood(your own), and it doesn't end till you kill the opponents. Wielding a scythe(2d4), sized for a Large creature(2d6), upped 2 sizes(4d6), multiplied by 4 on a critical. :o

Personally, I'd just keep the weapons at "normal" size, and give them "Weapon Proficiency: Improvised Greatclub", so if they can find a tree or beam from a house, they deal damage equal to a Greatclub sized for them(if you're human, it's 1d10, but since you grow up 2 sizes, it becomes 3d8), otherwise they deal fist damage appropriate to a creature of their size.

You could also give them "Trample" as an extraordinary ability, allowing them to overrun opponents smaller than themselves for some decent damage(considering they will probably wind up unarmed if weapons don't grow with them, this might become their sole attack).

Grey Watcher
2005-07-07, 09:38 AM
My question is this: What's the advantage to taking straight Barbarian versus this? You get everything a Barbarian gets, but better. Seems like every barbarian would want to take this PrC...

Well, they also miss out on the Barbarian's immunity to sneak attacks, meaning that, as someone mentioned, this class is best confronted by illusions to distract the GoF and Rogues and/or Assassins to take him down.

As for the weapons and armor, I think that it's better that the weapons and armor do not grow with him. It just feels a bit overpowered otherwise. I think it's much better that he either goes to fistwork, improvised weapons (such as turning a tree into a club), or just resorts to fistwork.

ShneekeyTheLost
2005-07-08, 01:34 AM
You know... I come up with a non-lawful version of monk, without all the mystic stuff, plus rage. Had the unarmed chart, BAB, weapons, and flurry of a monk. Changed the Ki strikes, still got magic and adamantium at the proper levels, although it was called Iron Palm and represented toughening up the body to make them able to strike that powerful. Ki strike Lawful was deleted. Didn't get slow fall, didn't get things like immunity to poison/disease/age, couldn't heal self, couldn't go ethereal, or any of that jazz. Saves were fort and ref, but not will. In return, they got rage and DR of a barbarian. That would be pretty sick to slap this onto...

squishycube
2005-07-08, 07:13 AM
Despite of all the controversy, I will make it so that weapons do grow with the GFU.

But to satisfy those opposing this I will add a small variant that uses that Improvised Weapons feat.

ShneekeyTheLost
2005-07-08, 11:53 PM
You copied that out of Exotic Weapon Master, didn't you?

A giant fury isn't going to be tripping or disarming anyone when he has shifted. My suggestion would be this:

An improvised weapon would do 1d6 for a one-handed weapon, or 2d6 for a two-handed weapon, for a medium creature. This damage scales up according to the creature's new size.

mr._Tentacles
2005-07-13, 05:33 PM
Oh my... LOVE THE CLASS ;D ;D ;D
Hmmm, 20 str+4 rage+6 frenzy+4 bull's strength+6 magic item+14 hulk=54 str ;D ;D ;D
"I deal 4d6+1d6 fire+1d6 electricity+50 damage per hit, ooh a critical (thanks to my keen weapon and improved critical), on the party wizard 'cause I failed my will save :P

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-14, 02:15 AM
Oh my... LOVE THE CLASS ;D ;D ;D
Hmmm, 20 str+4 rage+6 frenzy+4 bull's strength+6 magic item+14 hulk=54 str ;D ;D ;D
"I deal 4d6+1d6 fire+1d6 electricity+50 damage per hit, ooh a critical (thanks to my keen weapon and improved critical), on the party wizard 'cause I failed my will save :P

You forgot, level 8 Frenzied Berserker gets +10 strength. Level 10, with a two-handed weapon, you get 4 damage for every 1 point of AB that you give up(Supreme Power Attack). You also forgot that the Monstrous Rage overwrites all Barbarian Rage bonuses.

20+14+10+4+6=54 still. "Let's see. I give up 22 points of attack bonus, to deal 88 bonus damage from Supreme Power Attack. Does the castle still stand?" ;D

mr._Tentacles
2005-07-14, 05:48 AM
You're right ;D, and combine that with deathless frenzy... ;D