PDA

View Full Version : Magic Users and Wands

sleepydwarf
2009-06-07, 11:58 PM
I have been convinced to try a totally new character, and to try something I dont normally play, so I have decided to make a pure magic user class. The rest of the party is made up of: A monk, A rogue/sorcerer, a bard, a spellthief and a Rogue/fighter.

I am restricted to any of the WotC books for 3.5, so I cont use anything from the Dragon magazines or homebrewed classes or things only published on the Web. Starting at level 5, Chaotic evil human, with normal WBL to spend.

Stat Rolls are : 17 , 17 , 15 , 14 , 12 , 12

Any suggestions on class and also feats to level 5 would be greatly appreciated. Please note though, I dont want to multiclass this character.

I would also like to get to the point, if it is possible, to be able to dual wield wands.

I am not sure what else you need to know to help me out, so if you have any questions, just let me know and I will give additional information if it is required. The biggest draw back for me is that the next gaming session, where I need this character is next Sunday, the 14th June.

Thanks for any and all help given.

Saph
2009-06-08, 12:08 AM
Double Wand Wielder feat from Complete Arcane is what you need. Lets you use two wands as a full-round action. You burn an extra charge from the second wand to do it, but it's still a good deal - anything that lets you cast two spells in one round is good.

It has Craft Wand and Two-Weapon Fighting as prerequisites though, unfortunately, so you'll be best off going Wizard. You can grab TWF at level 1 and Craft Wand with your wizard bonus feat at level 5, but you'll have to wait until level 6 to take Double Wand Wielder. There's no RAW way to get it before then as far as I know. Sorry.

- Saph

sleepydwarf
2009-06-08, 12:20 AM
Hey, dont be sorry Saph, just because RAW doesnt let me do something straight away, it gives me something to look forward to.

I am just glad there is a way for me to duel wield the wands, especially if I can craft them myself :smallsmile:

Now to try and make a decent playable Wizard :smalleek:

Eldariel
2009-06-08, 12:22 AM
Hey, dont be sorry Saph, just because RAW doesnt let me do something straight away, it gives me something to look forward to.

I am just glad there is a way for me to duel wield the wands, especially if I can craft them myself :smallsmile:

Now to try and make a decent playable Wizard :smalleek:

Could you lend an ear to an Artificer? With their infusions, they can be spellcasters and making Wands (or well, making things in general) is their specialty. Also, they get Metamagic Spell Trigger which allows you to increase the potence of your Wands manyfold.

Anyways, if you do go with a Wizards, let me direct you to Logic Ninja's wonderful work on being Batman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002). Makes life, especially spell selection, easier by hundred folds!

evil-frosty
2009-06-08, 12:22 AM
What about his human bonus feat? couldnt he actually get the feat he wants at level 3, or am i forgetting something?

sleepydwarf
2009-06-08, 12:33 AM
Could you lend an ear to an Artificer?

I had thought about being an Artificer, but the last time I played one of them, the rest of the group ended up treating me as a walking supply room, that is untill i decided to start making cursed items deliberately :smallamused:

Alleine
2009-06-08, 12:55 AM
What about his human bonus feat? couldnt he actually get the feat he wants at level 3, or am i forgetting something?

Craft wand requires level 5, so its a no go.

evil-frosty
2009-06-08, 01:17 AM
Ah ok i thought i was forgetting something. So everyone can forget what i said.

Waspinator
2009-06-08, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I would probably go human (for the feat) and either wizard or artificer. They're the classes that are the best for crafting and using good blasting wands (which I assume is what you're after).

From Complete Arcane, you may want Reckless Wand Wielder and, as has been said, Double Wand Wielder. For artificer, make sure to grab the Eberron Campaign Setting errata, which moves Craft Wand to 6th instead of 7th level. I'm not 100% positive on this, but I think that means that you could take Double Wand Wielder then as your 6th level feat because you will have the prerequisite. Wand Mastery (from the Eberron Campaign Setting) is another good choice since it boosts the DC and caster level of wands you use, making you able to effectively save money by using cheaper wands for the same damage. The Artisan feats that reduce XP and GP costs may be worth it if you are making a lot of your own wands.

For ability scores, you're going to want a 17 in Intelligence for either wizard or artificer. The other 17 should probably be Constitution. I'd put the 15 in Dexterity and the 14 in Wisdom and then you're down to Charisma and Strength, which can be basically dump stats. As an artificer, just keep your Use Magic Device skill maxed out and you should be fine with that Charisma score. As a wizard, that wouldn't even matter.

PrismaticPIA
2009-06-08, 07:31 AM
Look into getting a Rod of Many Wands (Complete Mage page 128). At 27K gp, you'll need to adventure a bit to pick it up, but I think you'll find it fits your character.

kamikasei
2009-06-08, 07:39 AM
I'd urge an artificer above a wizard, since it looks like the party is in need of healing (I'm remembering that right, yeah, that artificers can make wands of Cure X etc.?). I suggest simply either being firm with the other players about not simply being an item dispensary, or perhaps discussing with the DM letting them pay some/all of the XP costs for their gear.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-08, 08:20 AM
Look into getting a Rod of Many Wands (Complete Mage page 128). At 27K gp, you'll need to adventure a bit to pick it up, but I think you'll find it fits your character.

Then grab 3 wands of Celerity, Metamagic Spelltrigger and the Twin Spell metamagic feat, and a pair of wand bracers with your favorite spells (like CL 11th or higher Scorching Rays, or CL 8 Grease spells, or Evard's Black Tentai set to CL: Yes), and go to town.

Full Round action, activate the RoMWs and MMST for Twin spell on each of the three wands of Celerity. 6 standard actions, simultaneously. Use free actions to draw the wands stored in your wand bracer, then get Spell Trigger-Happy.

Then wait 6 rounds before you can act again. Most enemies will be screwed by 6 standard actions worth of proper Battlefield Control though (even if it is from a wand).