PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else...

Generic Name #6
2009-06-08, 12:21 AM
Does anybody else read Xykon's speech bubbles in the voice of The Monarch (from Adult Swim's The Venture Brothers)?

shadzar
2009-06-08, 01:52 AM
No. I hear Xykon as Vincent Price when I read it. :smallconfused:

MitD I hear as Don Rickles.

Azukar
2009-06-08, 02:09 AM
I honestly don't give any of the characters a voice when I read their lines :S

Gilthans
2009-06-08, 02:11 AM
After SoD, I can't help but voice it as Mufasa.

Azukar
2009-06-08, 02:13 AM
This is CNN!

Generic Name #6
2009-06-08, 02:48 AM
I honestly don't give any of the characters a voice when I read their lines :S I usually don't either, not deliberately anyway. For whatever reason, my brain just gives Xykon that voice.

Starscream
2009-06-08, 02:53 AM
Does anybody else read Xykon's speech bubbles in the voice of The Monarch (from Adult Swim's The Venture Brothers)?

Actually, yes. Believe it or not, I initially gave him the mental voice of Big Cheese from Samurai Pizza Cats. No good reason, I'd just been watching that show when I started reading.

That got annoying (Big Cheese sounds a little bit like Paul Lynde or Roger from American Dad), but I couldn't shake the idea of him being a little bit high pitched and obnoxious, so he ended up with the Monarch's voice (Venture Bros is one of my favorite shows).

Since SoD mentioned him as having a deeper voice with some echo, I've been trying to imagine him as sounding like Frank Welker as Megatron. It hasn't stuck yet, so he still sounds very Monarch-like most of the time.

As you can see, Ive given this way more thought than a sane person would. Sue me, I'm obsessed with cartoons. Always have been. I actually watch the credits of shows just so I can see if I guessed the actors correctly.

Actually started an entire thread devoted to this topic once. Came up with this:

:roy: Brett Butler
:vaarsuvius: Tara Strong
:sabine: Cree Summer
:elan:/:nale: Billy West
:thog: Jim Cummings
:mitd: Chris Latta (sadly deceased)
:haley: Tress MacNeille
:redcloak: Maurice LaMarche
:belkar: Rob Paulsen
:durkon: Craig Ferguson
:roach: mc chris
:xykon: Frank Welker
:miko: Tia Carrere

Secris
2009-06-08, 03:35 AM
MC Chris for the demon roach is perfect, I love it. I don't really give them voices in my head, but I think that one may stick.

shadzar
2009-06-08, 04:01 AM
:smalleek: Philip J Fry as Elan?!?!?!?!?! :smallconfused:

Haven
2009-06-08, 04:04 AM
:smalleek: Philip J Fry as Elan?!?!?!?!?! :smallconfused:

I had the same reaction, but then I thought about it a little and realized it was pretty appropriate, what with the "idiot hero"-ness. Maybe some of his "Skeets" voice, as Elan was always a lot more enthuistiastic than Fry usually gets.

Starscream
2009-06-08, 05:22 AM
I had the same reaction, but then I thought about it a little and realized it was pretty appropriate, what with the "idiot hero"-ness. Maybe some of his "Skeets" voice, as Elan was always a lot more enthuistiastic than Fry usually gets.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-08, 05:39 AM
:thog: Jim Cummings

What? No really what? How can you get :thog: out of this?! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0rmNe8PctM&feature=related)

Starscream
2009-06-08, 05:52 AM
What? No really what? How can you get :thog: out of this?! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0rmNe8PctM&feature=related)

I was thinking more along the lines of his voice as Taz from Taz-Mania and Pete from House of Mouse. He plays "big and stupid" quite well.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-08, 06:03 AM
I could easily see him doing Xykon.....very easily actually

TerrickTerran
2009-06-08, 06:21 AM
I normally don't give anyone a voice either. Too hard to remember it each time especially when I'm reading them early in the morning or late at night.

TheBST
2009-06-08, 06:39 AM

No way, far too weedy. Xykon is a jock, through and through.

NeonRonin
2009-06-08, 06:51 AM
Maybe I'm just weird, but I've always envisioned Xykon with the voice of Strong Bad. Gives it an extra comical edge for me. :smalltongue:

ImmortalAer
2009-06-08, 07:03 AM
:belkar: Rob Paulsen

No, no. Jim Carrey.

:smalltongue: Just because I think his ridiculous voice acting would be perfect for mocking people.
(Just think of the voice he uses for some parts in LiarLiar, the exasperated half-yell, and apply it to, 'Quit repressing my culture you ethnocentric b****')

>.>

Poppy Appletree
2009-06-08, 08:43 AM
No, no. Jim Carrey.

Re-he-heally?

Dread Cthulhu
2009-06-08, 08:57 AM
The only one I ever imagined with a specific voice was Durkon as whoever played Hudson in Gargoyles. Umm, Edward Asner. Or just as Hudson.

RMS Oceanic
2009-06-08, 09:06 AM
Ed "Sergeant Cosgrove/Granny Goodness/Carl Frederickson" Asner?

Not for Durkon. Maybe Lord Shojo.

KIDS
2009-06-08, 09:10 AM
I usually don't associate voices with characters while reading it, but I think Michael Cera would be a good fit for Elan, and he's made a name for himself with several excellent "lovable dork" roles :)

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-06-08, 09:12 AM
Since SoD mentioned him as having a deeper voice with some echo, I've been trying to imagine him as sounding like Frank Welker as Megatron. It hasn't stuck yet, so he still sounds very Monarch-like most of the time.

I've always had kind of a Frank Welker Megatron crossed with Christopher Lee idea of Xykon's voice in my mind.

That's when it isn't Jack Nicholson playing guys like The Joker or evil Jack Torrance.

El Chupaqueso
2009-06-08, 09:35 AM
I always imagine Xykon sounding like Fred Willard, but with an echo-y voice effect. I think he would deliver X's deadpan lines perfectly.

I really like the idea of Billy West as Elan, but I think I would give Nale a different voice, like Mark Hamill.

I think I would put Tom Kenny in the cast somewhere, but I'm not sure if he would make be better as Belkar, MitD, or the roaches.

Linkavitch
2009-06-08, 07:30 PM
For some reason, I realized awhile back that the MitD's lines can all be read in Johnny Bravo's voice. Check wikipedia if you don't know who that is.

Menas
2009-06-08, 07:35 PM
Xykon has GOT to be voiced by Christopher Walken if anyone.

No other villain has ever had the 'indifferent wise-guy who laughs while you suffer' routine down as well as him.

Morgan Wick
2009-06-08, 08:26 PM
I think I imagine Thog as something like a higher-pitched Kermit the Frog (I think there was another Muppet that's closer to what I'm thinking of - maybe Animal? - but damned if I know right now). I don't buy the "Xykon=James Earl Jones" connection from SoD because of some of the things he says, which I just can't imagine in Darth Vader's voice, my brain breaks.

I kinda like the Durkon=Craig Ferguson connection on reflection.

I always thought of Elan as the Squeaky-Voiced Kid from the Simpsons but Fry would better accomodate Nale. Maybe a less annoying Gilbert Gottfried? I think Belkar's voice would be similar to Nale's if Nale's was like Elan's but wouldn't be mistaken for Elan's, if that makes sense. (Belkar's, not Nale's. On the last part. Oh, never mind... CURSE YOU, ENGLISH!)

How do you give Vaarsuvius an androgynous voice? (I've probably had that question answered in one of the earlier threads like this...)

The only female whose voice is clear to me is that Celia has a REALLY high-pitched voice, appropriately fairy-like. And Miko I could oddly see played by someone like Keira Knightley.

rokar4life
2009-06-08, 08:39 PM
wow, so I'm the only one who thinks of Nale and Elan having different voices, it is weird, but i think that Elans brain damage would give him a different voice. I imagine Nale as British

Steward
2009-06-08, 08:47 PM
I hear him as Skeletor from He Man and the Masters of the Universe, considering they look and act almost exactly the same. And for some reason I hear Belkar as a character from South Park (Cartman?)

Starscream
2009-06-08, 08:57 PM
I kinda like the Durkon=Craig Ferguson connection on reflection.

Got the idea from watching Freakazoid. He had a great accent.

Maybe a less annoying Gilbert Gottfried?

I think Gilbert would make a good Oracle.

How do you give Vaarsuvius an androgynous voice?

That's why I picked Tara Strong. Looking at her resume, she has actually voiced as many male characters as female ones. Only voice actor I could think of who can say that.

I recently posted this somewhere else, but I kind of like her voice as Raven from Teen Titans for Vaarsuvius. Too low to be definitely female, too high to be definitely male, slightly monotonous and very intellectual sounding.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOsG4zpkGfk) is an example. About 42 seconds in she even has a "possessed by evil" voice that would be great for Darth V.

Dagren
2009-06-08, 08:59 PM
wow, so I'm the only one who thinks of Nale and Elan having different voices, it is weird, but i think that Elans brain damage would give him a different voice. I imagine Nale as BritishWell when they were leaving the oracle, Roy heard Nale and thought it was Elan. That pretty much says that they do have similar voices.

Morgan Wick
2009-06-08, 09:52 PM
I recently posted this somewhere else, but I kind of like her voice as Raven from Teen Titans for Vaarsuvius. Too low to be definitely female, too high to be definitely male, slightly monotonous and very intellectual sounding.

I like this idea... has a certain weightiness to it that would be perfect for V. And they're similar characters too.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-06-09, 07:12 AM
Well when they were leaving the oracle, Roy heard Nale and thought it was Elan. That pretty much says that they do have similar voices.

Plus the amount of time Nale spent impersonating Elan without to many problems.

Though I could imagine Nale with an English accent that is noticeably not his native or normal accent (that is one you think "He is putting on that accent, isn't he?"). Nale seems like he could be prone to affectation, and the arrogant English accented villain would fit him well.

Rhuna_Coppermane
2009-06-09, 08:28 AM

No other villain has ever had the 'indifferent wise-guy who laughs while you suffer' routine down as well as him.

Oh, perfect.

The list given above might be good, but I've never even heard of any of those people. I don't tend to give people voices for the most part, but I could see Elan sounding like Ron Stoppable.

Scarlet Knight
2009-06-09, 01:03 PM

I agree, although sometimes I hear James Woods.

Dalenthas
2009-06-09, 04:31 PM
I could see Elan and Nale having different voices both being voiced by Billy West. After all, the guy does half the voices on Futurama. Elan = Fry, Nale = Zapp. And just for fun, Xykon = Morbo.

Kaytara
2009-06-09, 05:49 PM
I don't know, I don't really see (hear?) Tara Strong as V. Her voice sounds too.... cute-ish? Low enough, but to me still very definitely either female or a six-year-old. Besides, I don't really read V as monotone, either - on the contrary, I usually read his lines as rather vocally active, with definite highs and lows.

Afraid I can't actually make a counter-suggestion, though... I haven't got much of a head for voice actors. ^^; I think digital modification is the way to go, though. XD

DarkEternal
2009-06-09, 06:09 PM
Well... I have a feeling I will start to picture Brock Sampson's voice now after hearing O'Chul talk.

Zael Zuran
2009-06-09, 06:17 PM
Xykon's always been Michael Wincott to me. Specifically, Top Dollar in the Crow.

The gravelly voice and "screw it" demeanor of a terminally bored sociopath pretty much clinches it for me.

El Chupaqueso
2009-06-09, 08:08 PM
You know, on further reflection, I think that if you're going to give Nale an accent, there's really no choice but Tim Curry. He's pretty much the go-to guy for Nale's kind of villainy.

Starscream
2009-06-11, 03:15 AM
I finally realized what caused me to want Billy West for Elan. I saw a particular episode of JLU before reading On the Origin of PCs.

Just try watching this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Jycz6ZuyE) and then reading the scene where Elan introduces Sir Francois and tell me you don't here the same voice in your head!

Dagren
2009-06-11, 03:43 AM
Plus the amount of time Nale spent impersonating Elan without to many problems.There's that too, but there he is obviously trying to impersonate Elan, so is likely rolling bluff or disguise checks or something. (And as a sorcerer he obviously has a good Cha) Whereas back when he was sending, he had no reason to try to fool them. In fact, it would have been a bad idea for him to try, as it may have had a chance, however remote, to put them on their guard.

Shott
2009-06-11, 05:00 AM
I've never really put voices to the characters, except I always pictured Roy sounding like Dr. Foreman from House.

Scarlet Knight
2009-06-11, 09:55 AM
You know, on further reflection, I think that if you're going to give Nale an accent, there's really no choice but Tim Curry. He's pretty much the go-to guy for Nale's kind of villainy.

That is a very good choice if we are only talking voices. I can hear him oily ("I was going to kill her") , seductive ( Until tonight, then, my dear.") , frustrated ("Yes , the new plan will have rocket skates" ) , & always comedic ( Not ...helping!"). :nale:

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-11, 10:17 AM

I can't help but hear Xykon in a Jameikon accent like Grim from the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.