PDA

View Full Version : Designing a campaign

BooNL
2009-06-08, 03:29 AM
So, as a test of my abilities and general interest I'm going to try and build a campaign for Neverwinter Nights 1.

Now, if you've never played the game the only thing you need to know is that it's based on DnD and you can basically create your own campaigns with a couple of caveats (as in, monsters available, stricter rules set, etc.).

I'm looking for input on my campaign. As this is my first time creating one of them modules I'm not looking for something overly complicated, but I'm afraid that if I dumb it down it'll get too railroady.

So far, I'm thinking of having the player start as a new recruit for a mercenary company. The company has taken up shop in a recently abandonded village and are trying to get the situation under control. I'm not sure on the danger yet, but I want it to be somewhat supernatural.
I'm thinking the player will end up traveling back in time/space/alternate reality, facing something...

I want the feel to be slightly horrory, or at least distrurbing. The character should be pulled away from his natural world and be forced to survive in a world that looks very similar, but is completely different.

Like I said. I still have no idea for the campaign. So i'm looking for some input here.

Can any of you help me with plot hooks, maybe some side quests, etc?

BigPapaSmurf
2009-06-08, 10:04 AM
How about this, after some initial investigation the village gets blockaded by many many ghosts, trying to run the blockade only gets you killed. (perhaps the next areas over would also have too many undead to handle, forcing a retreat. Further investigation reveals an entrance to the underground and eventually an ancient temple which was accidentally breached when the new sewers were being dug. The temple can lead to a time portal if thats the way you want to go... by stopping the evil force in the temple's past you can change the future and save the villagers(ghosts)

Kol Korran
2009-06-08, 10:33 AM
i haven't got any concrete ideas, but since you've asked for:

I want the feel to be slightly horrory, or at least distrurbing. The character should be pulled away from his natural world and be forced to survive in a world that looks very similar, but is completely different.

why don't have the player sometime shift into the plane of shadows? it's a reflction of the real world, with things looking similar, and perhaps even acting similarily, but there are changes- some subtle, some less. (for more ideas look for the DarkSeed old computer games. quite nice on horror, though quite old). also- the light and colors are different, and so on... perhaps the player can get to somewhere otherwise inaccesible by taking a short (or long) trip through the plane.

hope this somehow helped..

P.S. Neverwinter nights is way limited in more than just what you suggested. it lacks so much of the wonderfull rolepaly opportunities that come from unscripted play for starters. still, good luck to you.

Roupe
2009-06-09, 08:08 AM
How about this (kinda a rip off from MtG)

The world is cursed and its inhabitants changes alignment and races at night. They also don't remember what they did in their "sleep". As evil think they sleep during the day, and As good think they sleep during the night. Since its the same world the damages and loss remain.

The players are unnaffected, and a few others + a villain as well.

talus21
2009-06-09, 08:57 AM
There are alot of tools you can add to your module that will enhance the role play aspect.

BooNL
2009-06-09, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the input guys, those are lovely ideas.

I really like you concept BigPapaSmurf, I can work with that. Maybe the villagers were killed off by a cult or a serial killer who has trancended to a higher level. Basically the village is distored and the borders between the realms of the dead and the plane of shadows have been weakened.
Blocking off the village a short ways into the module is an awesome thought!

Keep your suggestions coming guys!