PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Random question about Xykon

Azukar
2009-06-08, 04:17 AM
And liches in general, I guess...

Can a Lich benefit from drinking a potion? Based on SoD, I'd say not, but what are the rules here?

To put it another way, Xykon puts the contents of a Potion of Cure Light Wounds between his upper and lower skullbones, what happens?

RMS Oceanic
2009-06-08, 04:33 AM
I think, despite the improbability of it, potions still benefit liches, because they don't necessarily have to be vials of liquid. They could take a couple of different forms. So in this case, Xykon would take 1d8+5 damage.

Mystic Muse
2009-06-08, 04:50 AM
yeah liches can only benefit from negative energy spells and potions hence the reason tsukiko cast "inflict critical wounds" instead of cure.

Azukar
2009-06-08, 06:03 AM
Okay, so potions work on skeletons. What I might've predicted, but still odd. I wonder if it has to at least touch his bones to work, or if you could pour it direct into his chest cavity...

Also, hah, would taking damage in that way allow him any kind of save? If not, could you feasibly kill him by lobbing Potions of Cure Critical Wounds at him, or dumping a bucket of the stuff on him?:smallbiggrin:

Hatchet
2009-06-08, 06:27 AM
Also, hah, would taking damage in that way allow him any kind of save?

Well, you get to make a Will save for half damage against negative energy, so I guess undead can do the same against positive energy.

hewhosaysfish
2009-06-08, 06:29 AM
Also, hah, would taking damage in that way allow him any kind of save? If not, could you feasibly kill him by lobbing Potions of Cure Critical Wounds at him, or dumping a bucket of the stuff on him?:smallbiggrin:

He would get a Will save for half damage (or Will to negate a potion of Cure Minor because you can't half one point)

Yuki Akuma
2009-06-08, 06:37 AM
Potions are activated by being drunk. Pouring a potion on something wouldn't do much good.

Even constructs can benefit from potions, and often their mouths are just for show.

NerfTW
2009-06-08, 07:18 AM
Since a potion is already magic, I think it makes an exception that coffee does not. :smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-08, 08:35 AM
U was thinking that, technically, throwing a potion would work due to how it would pretty much be acting like an oil (which is made in the same way as a potion) due to Xykon being unable to drink.

Chronos
2009-06-08, 11:21 AM
Even constructs can benefit from potions, and often their mouths are just for show. I think that's just living constructs, like Warforged. I'm pretty sure there's a general rule that constructs (and I think undead) can't drink even if they want to, but I'm not finding it at the moment.

And we already know that Xykon specifically can't drink any more, based on his experience with coffee in Start of Darkness.

DanReiv
2009-06-08, 11:32 AM
Would make sense even if it's just a house-rule.

I mean a skeleton drinking a potion...you've got to be kidding.

It can create a fun moment though, as all the liquid splash on the ground.

In fact, I'll definitly use something like that as my players are currently in a undead mostly habited abyss necropolis.

Katuko
2009-06-08, 11:56 AM
In fact, I'll definitly use something like that as my players are currently in a undead mostly habited abyss necropolis.
"The skeletal warrior takes a step back and reaches into a weathered satchel. It pulls out a vial filled with crimson liquid. It quickly pulls out the cork and pours the potion down its long rotted throat. You hear a wet splashing sound as the liquid flows through its empty chest cavity and hits the floor. There is an awkward pause. Regaining its posture, the skeleton turns to the party and speaks in a rattling voice: "Dang, I had hoped it would work on contact."" :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, to quote Red Mage from 8-Bit Theater: "Everyone knows that smashing glass bottles against your face works just as well."

SadisticFishing
2009-06-08, 12:05 PM
It'd be even creepier if it worked. The Bull's Strength potion pours down its throat.. and it becomes stronger o_O

Zevox
2009-06-08, 12:44 PM
Well, you get to make a Will save for half damage against negative energy, so I guess undead can do the same against positive energy.
Technically, everyone gets a will save for half "damage" vs cure spells. Most creatures just choose to voluntarily fail it automatically, since succeeding at it would be a bad thing for them, not a good thing. The Undead do the same with the will saves on Inflict spells.

Zevox

Zolem
2009-06-08, 12:52 PM
U was thinking that, technically, throwing a potion would work due to how it would pretty much be acting like an oil (which is made in the same way as a potion) due to Xykon being unable to drink.

Asuming of course you have a liquid potion and not a potion tile, fruit, macrame, token, ect.

anyone here ever give players a scroll-gem and have them accidently sell it off? I actualy had the next villain use the same gem on them, as it recodnized it for what it was and bought if from the jewler 'for a fraction of its true price'.

Azukar
2009-06-09, 06:00 AM
I think I just solved it, in a tangential kinda way...
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironbody.htm
The spell description includes the line "You cannot drink (and thus can’t use potions)". Liches are fairly well unable to drink, so it's a fair bet they cannot benefit (or detriment) from having the contents of a potion poured between their jaws.

Hexen_Hase
2009-06-09, 06:07 AM
Potions are activated by being drunk. Pouring a potion on something wouldn't do much good.

Even constructs can benefit from potions, and often their mouths are just for show.

Maybe I've been playing Nethack too often, but I don't see why pouring a potion on a creature wouldn't effect it. Works for holy water.

lastgreypoet
2009-06-09, 07:34 AM
This discussion reminds me of an old favorite:

A skeleton walks into a bar and says, "I'd like a beer and a mop."

Deliverance
2009-06-09, 10:52 AM
Maybe I've been playing Nethack too often, but I don't see why pouring a potion on a creature wouldn't effect it. Works for holy water.
We have the ultimate answer to the question from SoD: Xykon can no longer drink coffee, nor gain the benefits of drinking good or bad coffee. If he could benefit from pouring or smearing coffee over his undead body, the entire storyline would have been a great deal shorter - and likely considerably yuckier. :smalltongue:

Dagren
2009-06-09, 04:12 PM
We have the ultimate answer to the question from SoD: Xykon can no longer drink coffee, nor gain the benefits of drinking good or bad coffee. If he could benefit from pouring or smearing coffee over his undead body, the entire storyline would have been a great deal shorter - and likely considerably yuckier. :smalltongue:Well nobody says you have to taste the potion, do they?

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-09, 09:13 PM

Holy water isn't a potion in D&D.

GSFB
2009-06-09, 09:55 PM
Isn't there a rule that a potion can be used by pouring it onto a subject that can't drink? I mean it's freakin' MAGIC after al...

Foryn Gilnith
2009-06-09, 09:59 PM
Potions don't work. Oils, which work mechanically exactly the same way and are in the core DMG, do. Apply and let dry.

Hexen_Hase
2009-06-09, 11:04 PM
Holy water isn't a potion in D&D.

Well, again, it is more NetHack talking than anything else, but "liquid imbued with positive energies" and "liquid imbued with magical energies" strikes me as almost one and the same.

Katuko
2009-06-10, 01:33 AM
Not if Holy Water affects the target by zapping it with positive energy, while a potion simply affects the body in such a way that it heals faster or similar. With no real body, there would be no effect. Or rather, a potion needs to "enter the system" before the effect is triggered, while an oil or other magical item only needs to be touched.

Castamir
2009-06-10, 04:05 AM
Holy water works by splashing, not by being ingested.