PDA

View Full Version : gestalt artificer what should the second class be?

kentma57
2009-06-08, 11:30 AM
I am setting this guy up as an encounter for a 21st level gestalt party(though while they all have powerful characters, some of them are new to this level of play and forgot to protect themselves from things like negative levels), but that is not why I am here. What I want to know is, what class do you think would most complement an artificer's strengths in a gestalt game?

JellyPooga
2009-06-08, 11:32 AM
Barbarian!

Manly manliness complements every class perfectly.

edit: if only you could gestalt Barbarian//Barbarian...

Goatman_Ted
2009-06-08, 11:35 AM
The Artificer's probably the most versatile class in D&D in terms of its role. That makes this a bit tricky.

But Factotum means more actions. And more actions are everything.

Erudite might be the other option. Just so you have access to all spell effects and all of psionics.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-08, 11:36 AM
I'd suggest Wizard.

Gives you more spells to work with when crafting, saving you from making checks for items that don't use infusions. Also gives you normal battle options rather than having to prepare a minute in advance.

And beides that Wizards rock ass :smallbiggrin:

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-08, 11:38 AM
+1 to the Factotum faction.

Double Wand Wielder? Metamagic(Quicken) Spell Trigger? Taking extra standard actions? You suddenly cast 4 spells a round from wands.

Duke of URL
2009-06-08, 11:39 AM
How do you plan on using said artificer? Melee, spells, etc? What kind of support (if any) will the boss have?

wadledo
2009-06-08, 11:39 AM
Edit: What ^ said.

++1 Factotum.
Add some levels in rogue for skills if you feel like it, as well as perhaps a dip in a PrC that has it's own spellcasting for some versatility, and there you go.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-08, 11:59 AM
As mentioned, you can rarely go wrong with Factotum.

As for other options...

If you Intelligence is high, Wizard is always a good choice, and Archivist might fit as well, depending on you character's philosophy. Psion is a good one as well...can't go wrong with Arcane/Divine items and Psionic powers. If you're more melee-centric, Warblade has some nice Intelligence synergy, and is decently powerful to boot. Considering all the buffs you can make for yourself, it might be a decent choice...note that it also hands you a d12 HD, full attack bonus, strong Fortitude save (I believe), and full maneuver progression...

If your Charisma is higher, Sorcerer isn't a bad choice, necessarily, although you can probably do better. Duskblade might be interesting, although you need Int and Cha to make that work.

Binder might also be a powerful choice...with all your items, gaining a bunch of features that have variety and also don't take up body slots is a good thing, and the class packs a punch in its own little way. Remember that WotC put up some Epic Vestige feats if you go down this path, though.

Also, Epic Spells are never a bad thing. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2009-06-08, 12:09 PM
Artificer21//Factotum11/Chameleon10

or

Artificer21//Factotum13/Chameleon8

depending on your choice of special features.

Have fun with your 20+ page long character sheet!

Reaper_Monkey
2009-06-08, 12:25 PM
If only you could gestalt Barbarian//Barbarian...

You can! You just end up being a normal Barbarian however, not that it matters however, because your *so* manly you don't need to have any other classes!

Or, you know, go Barbarian//Warrior (the generic PC class, not the NPC), which is pretty damn manly.

Or, if you can hoodwink your DM, Barbarian X//Warrior 1 / Barbarian X-1 is also a very entertaining blend of getting every power up twice (double the rages a day and DR as well as better saves etc).

About artificer however? Warlock can be quite fun for an energiser bunny-esque character.

Epinephrine
2009-06-08, 12:25 PM
I'll go counter to all expressed opinions, and suggest Warblade.

Lets you melee well, you've got tons of neat armour/weapon buffs, and Int is a synergy (since Warblades add Int to confirm crits, flanking damage, etc.)

Glimbur
2009-06-08, 01:03 PM
Monk! Maybe with the feat to let you key monk abilities off of Int instead of Wis. It'll give you all good saves, evasion, random abilities, but mainly it's to keep you alive. That's supposedly what monks are best at, why not steal that power for yourself?

quick_comment
2009-06-08, 01:04 PM
edit: if only you could gestalt Barbarian//Barbarian...

You could do X Totem Barbarian//Y Totem Barbarian.

Or even Barbarian//Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker

JellyPooga
2009-06-08, 01:11 PM
You could do X Totem Barbarian//Y Totem Barbarian.

Or even Barbarian//Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker

I have considered Barbarian/PrCs//Druidic Avenger...

Radar
2009-06-08, 01:39 PM
+Factotum

Also: would it be possible for Factotum to enter Ruby Knight Vindicator to reap additional swift actions as well (and abuse Rod of Quicken)? If not, follow Factotum to the level that gives additional standard action and then take whatever you like to enter RKV. I can't give explicit build, because i don't have source books at hand. It looks interesting in my head, but i don't guarantee, that it would work.

Tokiko Mima
2009-06-08, 02:04 PM
Warlock would be entertaining. You would have a fun item creation synergy and access to all divine spells, and your mode of attack leaves your hands empty so you can use any magic item you want. Plus you could easily re-flavor Eldritch Blast to be a Ray/Laser gun.

Also: would it be possible for Factotum to enter Ruby Knight Vindicator to reap additional swift actions as well (and abuse Rod of Quicken)?

No, unless you have a different wording available Quicken Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#quickenSpell) can only be used once a round in any case.