PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Second Wind Spam Super Dwarf! A build idea.

Grynning
2009-06-08, 01:55 PM
So, I originally conceived this as sort of a silly character build, but when I banged it out with the character generator it was actually pretty good, so I wanted to share.

The idea was to make a Dwarf character who got the maximum mileage out of their second wind. I originally thought of making it a fighter, but I decided to that the bonus AC to second wind from Warden was better than the 2 rather bland heroic tier second-wind related fighter feats. The multi-class to Warlord was to gain access to the Earthfast Brigadier PP, which fits the flavor and mechanics quite well. The result is a defender who would almost never need to be healed by the party leaders, because his second wind would be frequent and potent, and his other powers keep him healed quite nicely as well.

Unfortunately this build doesn't really hit it's stride til late Paragon/early epic tier, but if I ever get to play in a game at those levels I think I'd use this. Feel free to point out anything I missed that would help the build.

Here's a basic breakdown of the build at level 26:

Dwarf Warden (Warlord MC) / Earthfast Brigadier / Chosen of Moradin

Ability Scores (level 1)
Str 16
Con 16 (18)
Dex 10
Int 13
Wis 11 (13)
Cha 8

Ability Scores (level 26)
Str 24
Con 26
Dex 12
Int 16
Wis 16
Cha 10

Feats (not necessarily the order you would take them in. "*" indicates a feat that improves 2nd Wind).
Student of Battle
Crushing Earthstrength*
Dwarven Weapon Training
Weapon Expertise (Axe)
Shield the Fallen
Timely Respite*
[P] Dwarven Durability*
[P] Defensive Surge*
[P] Armor Specialization (Hide)
[P] Paragon Defenses (Retrain to Robust Defenses at Epic)
[P] Improved Second Wind*
[P] Phalanx Warrior
[E] Stoneheart Warrior*
[E] Epic Recovery*
[P] Earthstrength Resolve
[E] Primal Resurgence

I won't post all the powers, but anyways, he's an Earthstrength Warden, so I mainly went with stone and mountain themed powers, lots of knockdowns and immobilizing. Utilities are all generally focused around defenses and self healing.

Items of note:
Backbone Belt (+4 to defenses from 2nd wind)*
Cloak of the Walking Wounded (two surges on 2nd wind when bloodied)*
Armor of Durability (extra HP from surge)*
Other defender-y items to taste. I picked a Shield of Warding, Stout Waraxe,
Earthreaver Stompers, Far Hand Gloves (reach is good), Rings of Invigoration and Adaptation, and a Casque of Tactics (pretty sure I was able to afford it all, but the three items above are the most important).

Defenses (Normal)
AC 43
Fort 39
Ref 34
Will 33

HP 218

Defenses (2nd Wind)
AC 55
Fort 43
Ref 38
Will 37

Other 2nd Wind effects
72 HP regained
Saving throw
Adjacent Ally gains +4 to all defenses

When Bloodied
180 HP regained (two surges and Earthfast Recovery)

Basically, the character could naturally second wind twice per encounter as a free action by level 22. The daily attack powers of both Earthfast Brigadier and Chosen of Moradin allow the recovery of 2nd wind, for both yourself and allies. When the character second winds, they gain +12 to AC and +4 to all NADs, and grant +4 to all defenses to an adjacent ally (or +2, depending on the ruling of how Defensive Surge interacts with the Backbone Belt).

The other feats in the build capture what I think the essence of being a Dwarven defender are all about, shielding your allies and punishing your enemies. Tactics are pretty standard Warden, get hit a lot, keep enemies close to you, etc.

Edit: Maths and forgot a feat

herrhauptmann
2009-06-08, 02:11 PM
Ooh, that looks nice. I think I'm going to copy that for an epic game a guy in my group is planning.

Shadow_Elf
2009-06-08, 02:33 PM
Pretty sure there is an epic feat in Martial Power that gives you two second winds/encounter. Might be worth a look, if you don't already have it.