PDA

View Full Version : help with gestalt thrower build

wizuriel
2009-06-08, 02:24 PM
so joining a gestalt game and figured would make a dagger throwing rogue.

one thing was looking at was combining master thrower and dagger spell mage. With a daggerspell mage 8 I can store touch spells in my daggers and throw them at people to deliver the touch attack. Combining that with master thrower I can throw 4 daggers as ranged touch attacks and deliver spells through them. On top of that 2 of those daggers can still sneak attack. Problem with this though is I need a min of 4 daggers which will get expensive and a quick way to cast spells (since still need to cast the spell on the dagger before I throw them).

Right now what I was looking at was (For lvl 8)
rogue / duskblade (weapon focus dagger)
fighter / duskblade (2 weapon fighting)
fighter / duskblade (point blank shot, far shot)
swashbuckler / duskblade
swashbuckler / duskblade
swashbuckler / daggerspell mage (imp 2 weapon fighting)
rogue / daggerspell mage
rogue / daggerspell mage

next 5 levels will be master thrower / daggerspell mage

also any ideas where to go after lvl 13?

quick_comment
2009-06-08, 02:29 PM
How are you casting 4 spells in 1 round though?

arkol
2009-06-08, 02:29 PM
Hafling rogue racial substitution level. +1d6 on ranged sneaks -1d6 on melee sneaks.
Whisperknife (prestige from races of the wild).

Also if you're taking levels in fighter and weapon focus might as well take Ranged Weapon Mastery.

My own gestalt thrower build however uses ninja levels to go invisible and then pop up and throw like a bazilion daggers that do like 4+xd6 damage where X is an insane number. :smallbiggrin:

Hat-Trick
2009-06-08, 02:35 PM
You'd only be able to have two daggers with spells on them, unless you're holding all four daggers from casting the spell to when you throw them. And you could just carry around a few average daggers for that, not all have to be magic. It wouldn't be too expensive that way, especially at the level you're playing. Finish up dagger spell mage, so you can quicken a spell with a full attack. Useful ability when someone decides to close in.

wizuriel
2009-06-08, 02:40 PM
with double dagger cast can cast holding 2 daggers, with palm throw seem to be able to hold 2 daggers per hand. GM will let me cast holding 4 daggers (so before battle can put 4 touch spells on them).

yeah figure at lvl 15 can quick cast and flurry to launch at least 2 magical daggers during combat.

edit: didn't look at ninja maybe can replace rogue with it?

edit 2: hmm ranged weapon mastery seems nicer than far shoot. will have to see if can fit in it

Douglas
2009-06-08, 02:45 PM
Four levels of Bloodstorm Blade can make your daggers better than Returning (they come back fast enough to use with iterative attacks) for free.

arkol
2009-06-08, 02:48 PM
Depends really. Ninjas pretty much only get the sudden strike when they use their power to become invisible for a round or when someone else turns them invisible. Rogues have an easier time pulling off sneak attacks thanks to flanking.

However ranged wise flanking doesn't work. But on the other hand if you're only dipping in ninja you can't go invisible by your own that many times a day.

Ask your DM about the multiclass feats (see my own thread about it). If he allows them the same way I would, then you can get a decent Ki pool with fighter and ninja levels. You can also dip into racial rogue to get a total of 3d6 sneak attack/sudden strike with just two levels.

Going ninja has others disadvantages like losing a few skills and armor. Plus you need to focus a bit more in Wis.

Also a thrower in really tight on feats. There's like a bazzilion feats that hepls throwing and you want them all. Seriously. So ask your DM about Strongheart Halfling. They lose the +1 to all saves and get a bonus feat instead. They're from one of the campaign settings (never know if it's eberron or FR or whatever) however so your DM might not like tha.

Dode
2009-06-08, 02:49 PM
A throwing build without Quick Draw?

arkol
2009-06-08, 02:52 PM
He gets that with his first level of master thrower.

Where's Bloodstorm Blade from?

wizuriel
2009-06-08, 03:29 PM
would be hard to fit bloodstorm blade in. Would need a lvl in warblade for the manuvers first. Time I get returning daggers would be lvl 18.

is there any good ways to quick cast spells. I can easily go into battle with 4 touch spells readied on my daggers, in battle though any way I can cast a spell on a dagger before launching it (aside from duskblade quick spells). Shame the duskblade version of touch spell through weapon only work on melee attacks :(

arkol
2009-06-08, 03:31 PM
You can always you know... try to work it out with the DM?

Keld Denar
2009-06-08, 03:37 PM
Needs more DFI Bard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5140212&postcount=11)....that is all.

Shame the duskblade version of touch spell through weapon only work on melee attacks :(

The nice thing about BSB, is the ranged attacks you make are TREATED as melee attacks. Which means you can channel spells through them as a Duskblade.

Just sayin.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-08, 04:03 PM
I would include at least four Fighter levels to get Weapon Specialization just for Ranged Weapon Mastery from PH2. Halfling Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halflingParagon) is also useful for another +2 damage on thrown weapons, and the extra +2 Dex is nice.

See if you can get an adapted version of Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC) that creates daggers instead.

Douglas
2009-06-08, 04:22 PM
Shame the duskblade version of touch spell through weapon only work on melee attacks :(
And that's another reason to try to fit Bloodstorm Blade in. An at will swift action available at level 1 or 2 of the class lets you treat your thrown attacks as melee for the round.

wizuriel
2009-06-08, 04:56 PM
And that's another reason to try to fit Bloodstorm Blade in. An at will swift action available at level 1 or 2 of the class lets you treat your thrown attacks as melee for the round.

wait, wouldn't that than make daggerspell mage pretty pointless? bloodstorm 2 duskblade 13 could do the same thing as my idea just better in every way.

edit: hmmm if my ranged attacks can work in place of melee attacks than spellpower combined with large amount of daggers and unseen seer for hunters eye would get really disgusting.

edit 2: nm spellpower is just to check, doesn't actually increase the caster level

Chronos
2009-06-08, 09:34 PM
next 5 levels will be master thrower / daggerspell mageUnless your DM has a houserule, this is not allowed: You can only take a PrC on one side of a gestalt, not both.

Hat-Trick
2009-06-08, 09:38 PM
One at a time at least. But, yeah, doesn't actually work the way he has it.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-08, 10:50 PM
Not sure how well it would work, but how about a soulknife? At low levels they manifest a psionic blade. Later they get 2 blades, and can start altering teh size of the blade, short sword, bastard, longsword, and even start throwing them.

It would take away your halfing paragon, but look at Whispergnome in (RoS). At level 5, with an 18 dex, they can get a +20 to hide and +16 to move silently, all without magic. And they have a move of thirty feet, and 'silencing strike'. When you sneak attack someone, you automatically cast Silence on them (a spelllike ability of yours) with no save.

wizuriel
2009-06-08, 11:22 PM
gah reading ftl :(

if can use bloodstorm blade with duskblade arcane channeling think going drop daggerspell mage and go straight up duskblade instead

edit: whisper gnome ftw :D

The Glyphstone
2009-06-08, 11:38 PM
Not sure how well it would work, but how about a soulknife? At low levels they manifest a psionic blade. Later they get 2 blades, and can start altering teh size of the blade, short sword, bastard, longsword, and even start throwing them.

It would take away your halfing paragon, but look at Whispergnome in (RoS). At level 5, with an 18 dex, they can get a +20 to hide and +16 to move silently, all without magic. And they have a move of thirty feet, and 'silencing strike'. When you sneak attack someone, you automatically cast Silence on them (a spelllike ability of yours) with no save.

You meant to say Soulbow, right? Everyone knows that Soulknife is only a 2-level class, after which it turns into the Soulbow and is actually effective at range.:smallbiggrin: