PDA

View Full Version : Cold Ken: Understanding the arctic

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-04, 08:22 PM
Cold Ken
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/AwakenedDreamer/DyingEmber/ColdKenSmall.jpg
Some look at the glistening expanses of snow and ice and see hardship. Others are entranced by the beauty and majesty. I see the potential... - Jergen Tam, the Northdrawn

Every snowflake, every ice floe, every rain of sleet holds great power. Crystals are not limited to rocks buried deep underground, but are in great abundance in every northern clime. Gems of beauty that rival any bit of earth, snow and ice have within them fantastic possibilities in every facet of their graceful forms.

Cold ken have come to understand this power, and daily hike through lands filled with the scintillating accumulation. As they walk the ice crystals beneath their very feet shifts and alters itself into more logical patterns alike to the makings of the brain itself. Through these connections with these crystals the Cold Ken learns a discipline that druids themselves find difficult to comprehend.

Becoming a Cold Ken
Cold Ken are always Psions or Erudites living alongside glaciers or in vast snowfields and icebergs deep within the frostfell. Just by their traipsing through the cold they gain new insight into the power waiting to be tapped. Some even come together and construct glistening structures to channel and focus the crystals of vast areas. These areas are always freezing but a haven to wanderers lost in the arctics, for few dare approach the Cold Ken in their focal dens.

Hit Dice: d6

Requirements
To qualify to become a Cold Ken, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Craft (Ice Sculpture) 5 ranks, Knowledge (nature) 5 ranks, Knowledge (psionics) 9 ranks
Feats: Imprint Stone, Psicrystal Affinity (Hero)
Psionics: Ability to manifest 3rd-level powers.

{table=head]Class Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Powers Known
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Deepblue, Ice Crystal|-
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Skater's Poise, Clear Headed|+1 level of existing manifesting class
3rd|+1|+3|+1|+3|Cold Command|+1 level of existing manifesting class
4th|+2|+4|+1|+4|Arctic Mind, Frostfelt|-
5th|+2|+4|+1|+4|Crystal Clarity, Resistance to cold 5|+1 level of existing manifesting class
6th|+3|+5|+2|+5|Preservation of the Ice|+1 level of existing manifesting class
7th|+3|+5|+2|+5|Decree of Cold Blood, Resistance to Cold 10|-
8th|+4|+6|+2|+6|True Ken|+1 level of existing manifesting class
9th|+4|+6|+3|+6|Blizzard Meld, Resistance to cold 15|+1 level of existing manifesting class
10th|+5|+7|+3|+7|Glacial Enrapture|-[/table]

Class Skills
Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (nature/psionics) (Int), Psicraft (Int), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Use Psionic Device (Cha)
Skill points at each level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Cold Ken prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Cold Ken gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Powers Known: At every level indicated on the table, the character gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain most other benefits a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of Cold Ken to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, psicrystal special abilities, and manifester level accordingly. If a character had more than one manifesting class before he became a Cold Ken, he must decide to which class he adds the new level of Cold Ken for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.

Deepblue (Ex):
In the hands of a Cold Ken a weapon of blue ice gains the properties of deep crystal and may channel psionic energy into it.

Ice Crystal (Ps):
At first level a Cold Ken's psicrystal buries itself in snow or ice and forms connections with the fractal crystals of the frozen substance itself. The psicrystal alters and arranges the crystals to form a protective barrier of blue ice about itself and melds with the new material.

The psicrystal gains 20 additional hit points, a +10 bonus to its natural armor, and immunity to cold.

Skater's Poise (Ps):
While maintaining psionic focus, a Cold Ken may move on snow, ice, or any other frozen substance without any penalty to speed or chance of slipping and may even use the Run action.

Clear Headed (Ex):
Freezing temperatures seem to crystallize a Cold Ken's thought processes. When in areas below freezing a Cold Ken gains a +2 Circumstance bonus to Intelligence. If exposed to unearthly temperatures (-50 or colder) this bonus raises to +3.

Chill Command (Ex):
If a cold ken makes a successful touch attack he can cause a matrix of ice crystals to grow within the body of the target. This deals 1d4 cold damage a minute (successful Fortitude save DC 10 + Cold Ken's int modifier halves for a minimum of 1 point), but also interacts with the target's nervous system. For one minute per prestige level a Cold Ken may use the Psionic Suggestion power, able to make a new suggestion every minute. Every minute the target may make a new Will save to resist the suggestion (DC as above).

Arctic Mind (Ps):
At 4th level a Cold Ken can create a kinetic field once per day which cools the moisture in the air and freezes it, forming an arctic haze that follows the Cold Ken wherever he goes. A bank of fog composed entirely of tiny ice crystals billows out from about him in a 40-foot radius and 20 feet high. The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature 5 feet away has concealment (20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% misschance, and the attacker can't use sight to locate the target). This cold cloud lasts 10 minutes per prestige level. He may generate the field twice per day at 6th level, and thrice at 8th.

Frostfelt (Ps):
A Cold Ken gains Tremorsense out to 60 feet when in contact with ice or snow as he resonates with their crystal patterns.

Crystal Clarity (Ps):
When a Cold Ken would gain his bonus to Intelligence he may, once per day, truly open his mind to the cold around him and gains an additional +2 bonus to intelligence for a total of +4, or +5 in areas of unearthly cold. However, this is extraordinarily painful and the Cold Ken takes 1d6 points of damage every minute that cannot be healed until he ceases to expose his mind.

At 8th level he takes only half damage from this ability, for a minimum of 1 point.

Resistance to Cold (Su):
At 5th level a Cold Ken gains resistance to cold 5. This increases to +10 at 7th level, and +15 at 9th level.

Preservation of the Ice (Ex):
At 6th level, a Cold Ken learns both Suspend Life and Crystalize. These powers are in addition to any powers the Cold Ken normally learns by advancing a level.

The cold ken treats these powers as if they were 4th-level powers on his class list. This means, among other things, that manifesting these powers costs only 7 power points.

Decree of Cold Blood (Ps):
At 7th level a Cold Ken may use an advanced form of Chill Command. His touch deals 1d8 points of cold damage per minute and unless the target makes a successful Will save the target is affected as the Psionic Dominate power. The Cold Ken may only dominate one target at a time, but it affects any creature that contains internal fluids. He may dominate for one minute per prestige level.

True Ken (Ex):
Once per day a Cold Ken may use Hypercognition. If in direct contact with snow or ice or in temperatures below freezing he may use it one additional time per day. He also gains a +20 bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks for a minute as he becomes intimately connected with his natural surroundings.

Blizzard Meld (Ps):
At 9th level a Cold Ken forms mental connections even with ice crystals in the air, be they snow or merely the frozen moisture in the wind. While in falling snows, sleet, or other freezing moisture, or in areas below freezing, a Cold Ken gains the Blindsight ability out to 60 feet, including within his own Arctic Mind haze.

Second, if in the same conditions, a Cold Ken may manifest any power he knows with the range of touch on any subject within 60 feet as a ranged touch attack. Saves still apply as normal.

Glacial Enrapture (Ps):
At 10th level a Cold Ken has learned to shape the crystalline nature of ice and gains 4 points in Craft (Ice Sculpture). With a successful DC 30 Craft (Ice Sculpture) roll, he can mentally manipulate the ice crystals of an area to form into an intricate shape that he may imbue with his own psionic energy. Those who come near this sculpture have a chance of contracting Fractal Dementia.

Fractal Dementia
Spread by mental contact with infected psionic beings or by visual means mentioned below; mental contact or visual; DC = Half Ken's HD + Int modifier; incubation 1d4 days; damage fractal dementia.

Fractal dementia is linked to the mind's need to find patterns and shapes. Almost everyone at some time has been momentarily intrigued by the shape of an object or a particularly interesting pattern. A Cold Ken constructions are literally mesmerizing, more so to individuals of particular mental might. Their minds see more than a pattern, they view a fascinating enigma whose solution is right on the brink of being understood. Perhaps it could be solved if they just concentrated enough they think.
Captivated by this puzzle they no longer care for such unimportant things as drink, food or even simple comfort. For the disease causes the mind to spiral internally, seeking with infinite anticipation the end of the riddle. But there is no known end, or if there is an end, it dwells so deep that once within, it is impossible to pull oneself out. Those who make contact with the mind of an infected individual suddenly receive a clear image of the fractal and must make the same saves or contract the disease as well.

Any being with an Intelligence of 4 or higher who looks upon the fractal from within 5 feet must make an initial will check (DC mentioned above) to keep from contracting the disease. Even if they make the save they become Dazed. If they fail, they become Fascinated by the pattern. Even if moved away and no longer in sight of the fractal, an infected creature dwells upon the mystery of the pattern and it fills their thoughts so as they cannot achieve Psionic Focus or cast spells/manifest powers requiring concentration. Each day of their incubation period they may attempt a new save to keep from becoming enthralled. If they can hold off being enthralled through the incubation period the dementia fades away. Normal disease healing spells will remove the condition while in its incubation stage. If they fail every save their mind turns completely within itself and they are considered permanently helpless. Only psychic chirurgery, bend reality, reality revision, or other similar powerful abilities can bring the subject out of themselves.

The Cold Ken is vaguely aware of any creature who has succumbed to Fractal Dementia through a fractal made by himself. He may use Mind Switch for a duration of 10 minutes per Prestige level once per day to have full control over the helpless body, which costs no XP and allows no Will save. The Cold Ken and victim of Fractal Dementia must both be on the same plane.

Dragonmuncher
2006-01-04, 08:42 PM
Hm, well, I can't think of a specific ability, but this line in the flavor text was intriguing:

Some even come together and construct glistening structures to channel and focus the crystals of vast areas.

Maybe something involving making a second psicrystal of ice, further enhancing a psicrystal, being able to sopntaneously summon your psycrystal when in cold conditions... um... mainpulation of ice somehow to make it weaker or stronger...

Maybe something like Iceman's ability (Xmen), encase yourself in an ice body that gives you abilities. Oh, and cold immunity.

Brickwall
2006-01-04, 09:41 PM
First off, I'd like to ask: did you make this for Dying Ember?

Second: Is "Ken" a form of "kin" made to sound more flavorful? It seems and feels like it

Third: As I've seen with all your other stuff, you just added every ability you thought worked well with the class. Consider thinning. Consider it a lot.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-04, 10:43 PM
First off, I'd like to ask: did you make this for Dying Ember?
Yup

Second: Is "Ken" a form of "kin" made to sound more flavorful? It seems and feels like it
Nope:

n.
Ken

Perception; understanding: complex issues well beyond our ken.

To have knowledge or an understanding.

Third: As I've seen with all your other stuff, you just added every ability you thought worked well with the class. Consider thinning. Consider it a lot.
This is after I added a few things because it needed it. I had it gone over by some of the best guys on the Psionics forums on Wizards. They thought it woefully underpowered until I added some.

However, I don't really see where you are coming from. There are some PrC's that have far more in them than this. Good grief, look at the Shadow Dancer from the DMG. At 2nd level for example it gets three abilities all at once and at 3rd level it gets another two new abilities.

nows7
2006-01-05, 01:53 AM
I realy think you've over powered it as it is here. If this is for a PC in the "A dying Ember" campain, then I'd give it time and realy consider posting it in it's current form on the Wizards forum for some more reveiw. You'll have atleast two levels for the PC to attain before he can get a chance to take this PrC so take your time.. and now my 2cp on the class itself...

However, I don't really see where you are coming from. There are some PrC's that have far more in them than this. Good grief, look at the Shadow Dancer from the DMG. At 2nd level for example it gets three abilities all at once and at 3rd level it gets another two new abilities.

True, the shadow dancer does get quite a few abilities, however the abilities of a shadow dancer are all very narrowly confined to A) shadows most of which are subject to even a level 0 light spell, B) movement and stealth C) often redundant as the char most likely already has the things like Evasion or Uncanny dodge.

The shadow dancer does not however give all those neat abilities AND almost full spell casting. Also the Shadow dancer can't be taken untill later, and requires two more feats and five more skill points to get.

I'd add "Must be able to manifest 'Precognition' and 'Control Air'" to the prereq, to reflect the tendency for Seer's to peice together disjointed information into a complete whole, and the kineticist's affinaty to Cold and elemental forces. This would effectively add an extra feat to the prereq's for one of the two above classes, or two feats for say a wilder that wanted to take the class.

I'd also bump the skills needed up to 13 ranks each. It's not hard for a psion to get 13 ranks in knowlage by tenth level, and this class definatly like it is more of a 11-20th level than a 6-15th level.

The Cold Ken getsimproved form of fog cloud that lasts a very long time, moves with him, and can't be blown away with "gust of wind" or simular, and thanks to his "frost felt" ability he can pinpoint creatures if they are in snow or ice.

Clear Headed (Ex):
Freezing temperatures seem to crystalize a Cold Ken's thought processes. When in areas below freezing a Cold Ken gains a +2 bonus to Intelligence. If exposed to unearthly temperatures (-50 or colder) this bonus raises to +3.

This strikes me as being VERY powerful. It's an UNNAMED bonus to an ability score; which lets it stack with any other bonus. Unnamed bonus' are very powerful becuase they stack with your enchantment bonus (the most common) and your Inherant bonus from items like Tome of understanding. The fact that it's an Extrodanary ability mean even in anti-magic areas it still functions, just so long as it's cold. The person doesn't even have to be exposed to the cold, even if they are protected by endure elements, so they take no damage, and face no problems with the cold, they still get the benefits. I'd drop this completely.

Chill Command (Ex):
If a cold ken makes a successful touch attack he can cause a matrix of ice crystals to grow within the body of the target. This deals 1d4 cold damage a round (successful Fortitude save DC 10 + Cold Ken's int modifier halves for a minimum of 1 point), but also interacts with the target's nervous system. For one minute per prestige level a Cold Ken may use the psionic suggestion power, able to make a new suggestion every minute. Every minute the target may make a new Will save to resist the suggestion (DC as above).

1d4 damage a round for a minimum of 3 min or 30 rounds, by the end of the duration it's done 30d4 damage, fort save half, and atleast three chances to use sugestion. With avg. rolls for damage you'll do 75 damage, fort save half. No limit on the number of uses a day.

By tenth level its doing 100d4 over ten minites. Avg damage 250 fort save half. Even makeing all the saves one can expect to take atleast 125 damage from it.

True, it won't even break through a low level protection from energy (cold), and the damage come up slowly, but if you catch someone vunerable you could do hit and run tactics to depressing effectiveness.

Blizzard Meld (Ps):
At 8th level a Cold Ken forms mental connections even with ice crystals in the air, be they snow or merely the frozen moisture in the wind. While in falling snows, sleet, or other freezing moisture or in areas below freezing a Cold Ken gains the blindsight ability out to 40 feet, including within his own Arctic Mind haze.

Second, if in the same conditions, a Cold Ken may manifest any power he knows with the range of touch on any subject within 40 feet without a chance of missing. Saves still apply as normal

No. Just no. At the very least get rid of the secondary effect. That is better than the "Arcane Reach" ability or the "Archmage" This seems like a polite way of saying, "hey, anytime it's snowing, I can see perfectly, I can hit you from forty feet away with my touch spells and there is nothing you can do to avoid the hit no matter how good your Dex is, You can't hide, becuase i have blindsight and tremorsense; and even when i'm out side of my element, I can call up a fog that lasts for an hour and a half three times a day that works the same way."

In my opinion, there needs to be some consistancy within the class as far as where his abilities lie. If his powers come from understanding the snow crystals infanite depth of pattern, then perhaps give him mostly
clairsentience powers, and requrire "precognition" as a prereq. Give fewer Psychokinesis and telepathy powers and instead give him "Remote veiwing" once a day by looking into a natural snow ball or ice crystal. Then give precognition, greater usable once per day while within a snowy envirement. Move the Hyper cognition ability either to tenth level or move the fractal dementia there.

Anyway, I have a character I'm suposed to be working on for this play by post game I'm trying to join... the danm DM keeps distracting me though...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-05, 10:57 AM
True, the shadow dancer does get quite a few abilities, however the abilities of a shadow dancer are all very narrowly confined to A) shadows most of which are subject to even a level 0 light spell, B) movement and stealth C) often redundant as the char most likely already has the things like Evasion or Uncanny dodge.
Actually, only the Shadow Jump ability is confined to shadows. The rest the Shadow dancer can employ anywhere. And its abilities are not redundant as the numbers stack with whatever they may already have.

The shadow dancer does not however give all those neat abilities AND almost full spell casting. Also the Shadow dancer can't be taken untill later, and requires two more feats and five more skill points to get.
Those on Wizards actually said it was weak because of its lack of manifesting levels... ::)

I'd also bump the skills needed up to 13 ranks each. It's not hard for a psion to get 13 ranks in knowlage by tenth level, and this class definatly like it is more of a 11-20th level than a 6-15th level.
This is NOT anywhere near a 10th level PrC.

The Cold Ken getsimproved form of fog cloud that lasts a very long time, moves with him, and can't be blown away with "gust of wind" or simular, and thanks to his "frost felt" ability he can pinpoint creatures if they are in snow or ice.
Actually, its a form of Arctic Haze from Frostburn. Except this haze doesn't do 1d4 damage every round. And yes, he may only sense them if in snow or ice...

One problem alot of folk had with this class is its main dependence on snow and ice. If in any other locale, this class is very much gimped. So I had to strengthen it a bit. A second level spell, Thaw, makes even this ability unusable. So as one guy put it, why would anyone take the class if once they even go udnerground half their powers become useless.

This strikes me as being VERY powerful. It's an UNNAMED bonus to an ability score; which lets it stack with any other bonus. Unnamed bonus' are very powerful becuase they stack with your enchantment bonus (the most common) and your Inherant bonus from items like Tome of understanding. The fact that it's an Extrodanary ability mean even in anti-magic areas it still functions, just so long as it's cold. The person doesn't even have to be exposed to the cold, even if they are protected by endure elements, so they take no damage, and face no problems with the cold, they still get the benefits. I'd drop this completely.
An unnamed bonus that ONLY works in the cold. And who says they don't have to be exposed to it? If in freezing temperatures. Sure, endure elements makes it more comfortable for them, but it costs a spell or 9 power points.

1d4 damage a round
Thats a typo, supposed to be 1d4 per minute. However, Resistance to Cold 5, which anyone can have by taking Improved Cold Endurance, totally negates that. Also, if the creature has the cold subtype, it is immune. And cold creatures tend to inhabit the artics.

No. Just no. At the very least get rid of the secondary effect. That is better than the "Arcane Reach" ability or the "Archmage"
Already adjusted it so that a power of touch can be used as a ranged touch attack.

If his powers come from understanding the snow crystals infanite depth of pattern, then perhaps give him mostly
clairsentience powers, and requrire "precognition" as a prereq.
I fail to see how he seems clairsentient. He has kinetic powers because the crystals actually have to be arranged to work in the first place, and telepathy, because he forms cerebral complexes out of the ice that he may interact with as a sort of secondary brain.

I do however like the use of ice crystals to see from far away.

So all in all I'm going to just have to go with my gut on this guy. Half the folks say tis way too underpowerd, others that its too powerful, and a handful who thinks its on the money. All of that probably means its balanced ;)

Toliudar
2006-01-05, 11:20 AM
Vorpal_Tribble:

The class seems flavourful and interesting to me. I'd make the intelligence boost in the cold environment an "enhancement" or "morale" bonus instead of an unnamed bonus.

And, speaking as one who lives closer to the Arctic Circle than he might like, I object to -50 being described as unearthly. Really freaking unpleasant, I will grant.

Fine work!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-05, 11:39 PM
There, just redid a goodly portion of the thing and now it has a full ten levels filled.

I'd make the intelligence boost in the cold environment an "enhancement" or "morale" bonus instead of an unnamed bonus.
Yeah, made it a Circumstance bonus.

And, speaking as one who lives closer to the Arctic Circle than he might like, I object to -50 being described as unearthly. Really freaking unpleasant, I will grant.
lol, I was just using the Frostburn temperature band names.

There is Cold (40 to 0 degrees), Severe Cold (0 to -20), Extreme Cold (-20 to -50), and Unearthly (-50 or colder).

-=-=-=-=-=-

Look better, Nows?

Brickwall
2006-01-05, 11:52 PM
Nitpick attack!

Nitpick 1: You use "thrice" for discribing the # of times / day of Arctic Mind. Wizard uses "three times"

Nitpick 2: Glacial Enrapture gives +3 ranks. Can't do that. Nope. How about a +3 miscellaneous bonus?

Nitpick 3: The Blizzard Meld touch range thing shouldn't work on someone who is standing across the threshold of a house, right? Maybe consider adding "the target must be subjected to the same weather the Ken is for this to work"

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-06, 12:09 AM
Nitpick 1: You use "thrice" for discribing the # of times / day of Arctic Mind. Wizard uses "three times"
Bah, I can't help their lack of style.

Nitpick 2: Glacial Enrapture gives +3 ranks. Can't do that. Nope. How about a +3 miscellaneous bonus?
Wasn't supposed to have ranks in there. Fixed.

Nitpick 3: The Blizzard Meld touch range thing shouldn't work on someone who is standing across the threshold of a house, right? Maybe consider adding "the target must be subjected to the same weather the Ken is for this to work"
You mean if they are blocked off from the cloud as inside the house?

Frank
2006-01-06, 02:03 AM
Very neat character idea...

I think, if anything...underpowered. Though I don't understand the level progression thing...so, why does he need to borrow from another class to gain levels? He's got his skills modifier, his HD is 6, he gains new abilities. Sorry, I'm a newb, but a curious newb. How does it work?

-Frank

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-07, 12:52 PM
Though I don't understand the level progression thing...so, why does he need to borrow from another class to gain levels? He's got his skills modifier, his HD is 6, he gains new abilities. Sorry, I'm a newb, but a curious newb. How does it work?
If I'm understanding what you're asking, the PrC gives special abilities till 10th level. However, you have to have at least a few levels in a psionic class to take it and the original class and the prestige class sort of meld into each other.

In this PrC's instance you don't continue to gain psionic powers and psionic points every level, only on the levels indicated, but instead gain unique abilities native to the PrC.

Brickwall
2006-01-07, 02:28 PM
You mean if they are blocked off from the cloud as inside the house?

Yes, the target would be inside the building.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-07, 02:35 PM
Well, I believe you have to see a being to make a ranged touch attack anyways, so it should be a problem. Now, if the door was open the fog could enter within and that'd be a different thing all together.

nows7
2006-01-07, 09:59 PM
Well, I believe you have to see a being to make a ranged touch attack anyways, so it should be a problem. Now, if the door was open the fog could enter within and that'd be a different thing all together.

To make a range touch attack you have to have a Line of effect, not a Line of sight. Diffrence being that Fog/darkness blocks line of sight, but not line of effect.

So a caster who has been blinded can still try to cast a ray spell, but he has a 50% miss chance.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-07, 10:26 PM
You wouldn't have a line of effect if someone was in the house either.

Brickwall
2006-01-07, 11:36 PM
Even if you could see them? Unless the wind was blowing the right way, it wouldn't go more than .2 squares inside the door. Then there's no ice crystals for the effect. Just making sure that;s the case here.

nows7
2006-01-08, 01:14 AM
You wouldn't have a line of effect if someone was in the house either.

In this case I agree. I was mearly pointing out they are two diffrent things.