PDA

View Full Version : Critical Hits

quick_comment
2009-06-08, 03:30 PM
What is the nastiest effect you can get to trigger off a critical hit?

I have an idea for a fighter using power critical + wraithstrike (or true strike), but cant find anything worth using this with (non-epic).

Keld Denar
2009-06-08, 03:32 PM
MIC has a bunch of weapon enchants that proc effects like Str penalties, negative levels, slowness, and other nasty things on a crit. There is also an enchant that gives you temp hp when you crit that is nice.

Telonius
2009-06-08, 03:57 PM
What is the nastiest effect you can get to trigger off a critical hit?

I have an idea for a fighter using power critical + wraithstrike (or true strike), but cant find anything worth using this with (non-epic).

Death by massive damage? :smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2009-06-08, 04:19 PM
There's one ability in MIC that casts Prismatic Spray every time you get a crit. Costs 30000 gp IIRC, and it's just a flat cost instead of being part of the normal scaling progression of pluses. That plus Enervating from the same source (negative level on every crit) for +2 or +3, I don't remember which, are the best crit effects I can think of.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-08, 04:23 PM
Vorple removes the head of an opponent on a natural 20 critical hit, but is expensive.

Hat-Trick
2009-06-08, 04:50 PM
There's a few in the Miniatures Handbook. Two cause fear effects of varying degrees, I think. One shakens everything in a radius, while one affects the target with Cause Fear.

woodenbandman
2009-06-08, 06:49 PM
Power Critical is totally unnecessary with Wraithstrike. Or did you mean power attack?

quick_comment
2009-06-08, 07:32 PM
Power Critical is totally unnecessary with Wraithstrike. Or did you mean power attack?

Power Critical makes it so that 1/day, you can declare a hit to be a critical threat. If that attack hits, then it is a critical. The version I read however requires you to declare the power critical usage before you roll the attack, so the wraithstrike is there to make sure I dont miss.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-08, 08:17 PM
Thats an earlier version of Power Critical...the new version gives you +4 to confirm critical hits.

quick_comment
2009-06-08, 08:26 PM
Thats an earlier version of Power Critical...the new version gives you +4 to confirm critical hits.

Oh.

Thats pretty lame then

Ravens_cry
2009-06-08, 08:44 PM
If one were to make a custom magic sword, bless weapon would be a good spell to base it on would be a good one as the spell automatically confirms critical, as long as you don't have magic effect that extends critical or is dependent on critical already on the sword. This is, hypothetically could be extremely fun if using a critical hit deck and a rapier or scimitar with the extend critical feat. The way my math works, it means your criticaling about 1/4 percent of the time then. Damage isn't the best, even with a critical, but a crit deck gives fun and unusual effect that can make up for it.

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-09, 04:37 AM
Oh.

Thats pretty lame then

Yeah, when I discovered it, I cried a river.