PDA

View Full Version : Chaos mage

lyko555
2009-06-08, 04:14 PM
Im just looking for information on the class as how op/broken they are. I was looking at it, and thought it would be fun to play. But i dont wannabe the Omg why do we let you in our group guy.
Its from the encyclopedia chaos by mongoose any thoughts?

weenie
2009-06-08, 05:15 PM
What system are we talking about, what book is Chaos Mage in and is it a character class or a prestige class?

JMobius
2009-06-08, 05:17 PM
If it is the class I am recalling, it is a 3.0 (don't think it was ever updated) base class, published by some third party.

It was interesting, with some novel flavor to it, but a lot of the mechanics seemed questionable.

lyko555
2009-06-08, 06:16 PM
Ibelieve its 3.0 Its a splat book by mongoos publishing and its a base character class. Its a mage that instead of having set spells per day evry time he casts a spell he does dmg to himself. Theres no spell list only a dc of spellcast and it seems that you can do almost anything you can think of at high enough lvls. except make something permanent longest time for a cast duration is min/lvl

FMArthur
2009-06-09, 04:43 AM
One of my players wanted to use it... it seemed very powerful, but it's a dead-end class because you eventually kill yourself and it seemed very difficult (or was it impossible?) to prevent the effects of the chaos. It's powerful and flexible, and if I recall it had the most broken counterspelling ability I've ever seen. The killing blow for allowing it in a game is of course that it is never a long-term investment. The dangers don't balance the power level - it is still ridiculously powerful, but you also have to deal with the complicated and disruptive effects of using it afterwards.

lyko555
2009-06-09, 05:51 AM
Yeah i was noticing that icould literally die by just rolling 10 1's in a ingame week. BUt it seems like a really fun Imagination is the limit type class