PDA

View Full Version : Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-08, 06:54 PM
I just started playing this game today, buying it back when it was $5 dollars on steam. And I've already gotten stuck.... literally.

I found an alcove with a stalker stash in it, and stepped inside. Unfortunately, I don't think you are actually supposed to go in there, as I cannot get out. There is quite literally no escape. I got in there by jumping inside, and I cannot jump high enough to get out.

Is there a no clip cheat or something so I can escape? Or am I going to have to start over (only one save D: ).

Feel free to just discuss the game as well.

edit: Never mind. After alot of jumping I think the game took pity on me and I finally glitched my way up or something. Not sure what happened exactly, but I'm out. :smalltongue:

warty goblin
2009-06-09, 08:49 AM
Ah Stalker...a game where you have a lot of guns, but firing them at things is often inadvisible.

I have distinct memories of clearing out X18, getting back into the mercifully mutant free aboveground, and being ambushed by the gorram military. At this point my armor was so battered it was essentially non existant, and my armament left a bit to be desired- an upscale AK-47 knockoff and the bullpup British rifle with the integrated scope. I had a large pile of 5.45mm ammo for the AK, but about 18 rounds left for the bullpup, which was the only weapon accurate and damaging enough to actually drop a military dude. Due to my lack of protection they of course would put me down in about three shots, a condition not improved by my lack of bandages.

After dying and loading a dozen times or so, I finally snuck my way past one patrol, then ran out of that base in a veritable hail of gunfire.

Faulty
2009-06-09, 08:59 AM
I stopped playing that game about 2 hours in. Buggy, clanky, the walking was hard on the eyes...

Optimystik
2009-06-09, 09:03 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/271-S-T-A-L-K-E-R-Clear-Sky

That's all I needed to know :smalltongue:

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-09, 01:04 PM
I stopped playing that game about 2 hours in. Buggy, clanky, the walking was hard on the eyes...

There is a mod somewhere that changes the wobble-walking for you, if you really want to. Though I rather like it as is.

MalikT
2009-06-09, 03:14 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R, one of the better games I played, of course if you patch it up.

I just started playing this game today, buying it back when it was $5 dollars on steam. And I've already gotten stuck.... literally.

I found an alcove with a stalker stash in it, and stepped inside. Unfortunately, I don't think you are actually supposed to go in there, as I cannot get out. There is quite literally no escape. I got in there by jumping inside, and I cannot jump high enough to get out.

Is there a no clip cheat or something so I can escape? Or am I going to have to start over (only one save D: ).

edit: Never mind. After alot of jumping I think the game took pity on me and I finally glitched my way up or something. Not sure what happened exactly, but I'm out. :smalltongue:

I wonder where did you actually got stuck (Cordon, Garbage) because something similar happened to me in Cordon.

And just a little tip, be sure to explore your past, otherwise you will get a pretty disappointing ending.

GolemsVoice
2009-06-09, 03:57 PM
Ah, STALKER. Man, did I love it, though some parts were really annoying.
When I was tasked to find Strelok's stash, I did so, but instead of completing the quest, i was tasked to do it again. I don't know if this was a bug or if I somehow did something wrong, but I assumed it was a bug and carried on with the game normally. As MalikT said, the ending wasn't nearly as awesome as the game that it followed. Old, russian bunkers and deserted factorys make for a great environment, and all the actual Russian create a great atmosphere, though of course much of the non-story-relevant talk is lost on those not able to understand what is being said.
Funnily enough, and I only realize this in hindsight, after a certain point in game, when you get the first good artifacts, radiation is seldom an actual danger, unless it is radiation used to limit the map. Strange for an area which today is chiefly known for it's radiation.

Ziren
2009-06-09, 03:58 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/271-S-T-A-L-K-E-R-Clear-Sky

That's all I needed to know :smalltongue:

Clear Sky did pretty much everything wrong you can do wrong in game design. Enemies have an unlimited supply of grenades that they can throw with 100% accuracy, forcing you out of every cover there might be. Weapon degradation is annoying, but doesn't matter much anymore since there is barely enough ammo to wear them down to a point where it becomes an issue. Lots of crashes, faction warfare doesn't work because the assault team that is supposed to capture valuable points does never show up...

The first one is decent, though. Not the stroke of genius that was promised to us, but decent.

Also, if you base all of your buying decisions on the rating that Yahtzee gives... well, you might as well sell all your consoles and downgrade to a computer only used for work.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-06-09, 04:20 PM
Enemies have an unlimited supply of grenades that they can throw with 100% accuracy, forcing you out of every cover there might be.

Sounds like Call of Duty multiplayer.

Anyway, for all Stalker fans, I'd recommend the 'Lurk' mod. I've been watching it develop for a while - it looks like a pretty awesome, gritty, compilation of all the best bits of mods so far, with a revamped stealth system.

MalikT
2009-06-09, 06:17 PM
When I was tasked to find Strelok's stash, I did so, but instead of completing the quest, i was tasked to do it again. I don't know if this was a bug or if I somehow did something wrong, but I assumed it was a bug and carried on with the game normally.

Are you sure that you completed the task, perhaps you found the room but you didn't located the flash drive containing data about Strelok's group. Without exploring the connection between you and Strelok you can't get the "good" endings and you won't discover the true secret behind the Zone, although even the best ending feels strange.

Optimystik
2009-06-09, 09:09 PM
Also, if you base all of your buying decisions on the rating that Yahtzee gives... well, you might as well sell all your consoles and downgrade to a computer only used for work.

Oh, I don't. Aside from our mutual hatred of JRPGs and marine-in-power-armor #267B, his tastes are quite different from mine. But it seems you agree with him from everything you just said.

What I do know is that if he gives a game a good review, that it's bound to be groundbreaking. See also; Psychonauts, Bioshock, Portal. I'd rather watch a reviewer whose 90% means something.

Zeful
2009-06-09, 09:57 PM

You'd be surprised, most games he reviews tend to be marked as "Fun, but..." and then a list of flaws in the design of the game. The only game he has given a 100% okay on was Portal. Even Psychonauts had it's flaws, which Yahtzee pointed out.

Overall, he tends to be a pretty good reviewer. Harsh, but he's just telling it how he sees it.

SurlySeraph
2009-06-13, 03:10 PM
I love STALKER, and Clear Sky is good (though the ending is rushed, and the grenades get annoying). I've been thinking of trying out the Sleeping Bag mod. Has anyone used it?

Faraaz
2009-06-13, 04:08 PM
I seriously want to get this game

Neo
2009-06-13, 04:52 PM

Would this be the stash on top of the mill by the army blockade of the pass through the railway?

As i've done the same but was able to jump-crouch out of it.

Started playing it again through the Oblivion Lost mod thing.

DemonicAngel
2009-06-13, 05:38 PM
how do I check which version do I have? it's either the worldwide version or the US one, and I don't know which patch to get.

any mods you would recommend?

Gundato
2009-06-13, 05:49 PM
There are two real choices for all-inclusive mods. I won't be considering graphical enhancements, since those are mix-and-match anyway.

AMK (preferably with the Arsenal add-on): My personal favorite. Makes the game much harder (at the very least, enemies now use grenades, and the army has a working APC) and much more entertaining. Every excursion is life or death.

Oblivion Lost: I don't know the details, but I have heard it described as "AMK, with a lot more". Adds vehicles and crap as well.

I like AMK since it still feels like STALKER, as opposed to another game with the STALKER engine. Of course, keep in mind that I was easily satisfied by core STALKER with a mod to make the guns behave more realistically, so I might not be the target demographic for OL.

GolemsVoice
2009-06-13, 07:13 PM
I just read an article on STALKER: Shadow of Prypjat, and I must say, I'm really excited. All the fun of the original STALKER, the new elements from Shadow of Chernobyl, but working this time. Of course, it's just a preview, the game is about 70% finished, so nothing is written in stone yet, but from what I saw, and from what the article said, the game looks really fine!

MalikT
2009-06-14, 11:38 AM
I just read an article on STALKER: Shadow of Prypjat, and I must say, I'm really excited. All the fun of the original STALKER, the new elements from Shadow of Chernobyl, but working this time. Of course, it's just a preview, the game is about 70% finished, so nothing is written in stone yet, but from what I saw, and from what the article said, the game looks really fine!

Is that a sequel or mod? Last thing I heard the sequel should be called Stalker: Apocalypse, or was that a working title?

I love STALKER, and Clear Sky is good (though the ending is rushed, and the grenades get annoying). I've been thinking of trying out the Sleeping Bag mod. Has anyone used it?

The whole game is rushed, not just the ending. The story is nearly non existing and it doesn't fit in the SoC story. The scary-depressing atmosphere is gone. Weapons are less realistic.
There are onlly three things that are better in CS: repairing weapons and armor, way of acquiring artifacts (but not the artifacts themselves) and bloodsuckers.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-14, 03:58 PM
Would this be the stash on top of the mill by the army blockade of the pass through the railway?

As i've done the same but was able to jump-crouch out of it.

Yes it was actually. One good thing about that spot at least, was in the half-hour or so I was there, I was able to snipe the guys down there with a silenced pistol. :smalltongue:

GolemsVoice
2009-06-14, 04:11 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Prypjat will be the next official game, and will take place two weeks, if I recall correctly, after the original protagonist disabled the brain scorcher. After a failed atempt by the military to penetrate the inner zone, you are sent in, disguised as a stalker, to scout ahead and see what's going on.

MalikT
2009-06-15, 05:54 AM
OK, I did some digging, the game will be called Call of Pripyat. It looks good, for now. Maps are bigger, graphics seem better, if they include everything they were planing for SoC it's going to be great game. I hope MoozE and Firelake will be doing soundtrack for this one too. To bad we wont be playing as Marked One. I wonder which of the SoC endings will be used for the story.

GolemsVoice
2009-06-15, 10:55 AM
As far as I know, the best one. But that's all they said. "the best one".

Ziren
2009-06-15, 10:59 AM
As far as I know, the best one. But that's all they said. "the best one".

Well that would obviously be

the one in which Strelok kills the C-consciousness. Unless they have been right about the rift and that action transformed the whole world in a radioactive wasteland. In that case the "join c-consciousness"-ending would probably be the best and would also make a lot more sense for the creation of a sequel.

MalikT
2009-06-15, 01:06 PM
Well that would obviously be

the one in which Strelok kills the C-consciousness. Unless they have been right about the rift and that action transformed the whole world in a radioactive wasteland. In that case the "join c-consciousness"-ending would probably be the best and would also make a lot more sense for the creation of a sequel.

I have other theory about that ending

Somewhere between refusing the C-consciousness and the final cinematics Strelok has been brainwashed (probably when he entered the last teleporter). So instead of destroying the C-consciousness he is probably lying somewhere in the Chernobyl NPP in comatose state, drooling all over himself.
I base this entire theory on one thing: in the final cinematics, when the sky clears and we see Strelok standing in the field, you can hear a faint voice calling Strelok, Strelok looks behind him but there is nothing. So he probably thinks that he is hearing things and lies on the ground. I think that's something like the Monoliths mind tricks in the negative endings.