PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread III

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Alteran
2009-06-26, 09:59 PM
A humorous as this may be, this topic is doing nothing but derailing the thread & needlessly stroking Afro's swollen ego. :smallamused: Please choose a new topic.

You know, most people wouldn't take pride in being the source of all that is evil in the universe...
Huh, evil is an anagram of vile. I hadn't noticed that before.
Okay. I'll think of some questions, honest.

afroakuma
2009-06-26, 10:02 PM
You know, most people wouldn't take pride in being the source of all that is evil in the universe...

Well, I'm not most people.

Huh, evil is an anagram of vile. I hadn't noticed that before.

Also veil and live. And "ielv" but something tells me that's not a word.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-26, 10:16 PM
And "ielv" but something tells me that's not a word.

That something would be me. Ielv is not a word. Neither is eliv, veli, & liev.

Alteran
2009-06-26, 10:16 PM
Also veil and live. And "ielv" but something tells me that's not a word.

Might that something be a dictionary?

EDIT: Never mind. Thanks for the tips, Zeta. I wasn't sure about liev. :smalltongue:

Questions: Are there any particularly spectacular natural phenomena on Siraaj? Things like Aurora Borealis, meteor showers, or monsoons.

Are the regular things like volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes still there?

afroakuma
2009-06-26, 10:22 PM
Questions: Are there any particularly spectacular natural phenomena on Siraaj?

Yep.

monsoons.

You call those "spectacular?" What's wrong with you? :smallconfused:

Are the regular things like volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes still there?

Arabia's not really a hurricane sort of place. The planet does experience these things, though, yes.

Alteran
2009-06-26, 10:29 PM
Yep.

Okay, I should have seen this coming.
In a likely futile attempt...
What are they?

You call those "spectacular?" What's wrong with you? :smallconfused:

They may not be pretty, but they're still rather impressive.

...huh. Wikipedia tells me they're not as impressive as I thought they were. Thanks for nothing, Discovery Channel. :smallmad:

afroakuma
2009-06-26, 10:31 PM
Okay, I should have seen this coming.
In a likely futile attempt...
What are they?

Suppose I should have seen that coming.

Siraaj has a very diverse array of natural phenomena, much like our own world. I'll give you two to shut you up:

• Ringwinds in certain parts of the eastern desert.

• The Fountain of Lykka in the cold southern lands.

Discovery Chanel

New perfume? :smallsmile:

Alteran
2009-06-26, 11:43 PM
New perfume? :smallsmile:

It's cologne. :smallannoyed:

Same question as before, but for Najmah. I'm definitely expecting more fantastic and supernatural things.

Athaniar
2009-06-27, 11:46 AM
Speaking of natural phenomena, any dirty thunderstorms?
*Awaits being asked what in the name of Zihaja that is*

Alteran
2009-06-27, 12:04 PM
Okay, that is pretty cool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_thunderstorm).

http://www.cracked.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/lightningcano1.jpg

Since Afro confirmed that there are volcanoes on Siraaj, I would presume that these can occur.

Juhn
2009-06-27, 12:43 PM
I have seen that picture in at least three unrelated places over the last day or so.

Athaniar
2009-06-27, 01:04 PM
That picture is my favorite picture ever. I first saw it on Cracked.com, I think.

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 01:09 PM
There are dirty thunderstorms on Siraaj, yes, and occasionally some on Najmah.

You probably don't want to encounter one, though. In case it's more than what it seems...

More inquiries!!!

Alteran
2009-06-27, 01:21 PM
Can I get the names of some mountain ranges on Siraaj, and their general location on the map?

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 01:42 PM
You wouldn't happen to be looking for the Satha Laylanuha, would you?

That's the massive range that runs east to west along the equator.

Athaniar
2009-06-27, 02:31 PM
There are dirty thunderstorms on Siraaj, yes, and occasionally some on Najmah.

You probably don't want to encounter one, though. In case it's more than what it seems...

Big elemental? IIRC, there was one in a Monster Manual...

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 02:38 PM
Yeah, the tempest pretty much did look like a dirty thunderstorm.

Not what I was referring to, though. And no, I'm not going to tell you.

Alteran
2009-06-27, 07:26 PM
You wouldn't happen to be looking for the Satha Laylanuha, would you?

That's the massive range that runs east to west along the equator.

Many thanks. :smallsmile:

You wouldn't, by any chance, have a quick link to the released map, would you? I don't remember where it was shown, and I'd prefer not to have to dig through the first two threads to find it.

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 07:33 PM
Many thanks. :smallsmile:

You wouldn't, by any chance, have a quick link to the released map, would you? I don't remember where it was shown, and I'd prefer not to have to dig through the first two threads to find it.

No, in fact I do not, thanks to Zeta having to lock his Photobucket account.

Google search did bring me to the big full-world map, though: It's huge, and it's here. (http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZSiraaj9.jpg)

I also found the Najmah map below that: here it is. (http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZNajmah5.jpg)

Alteran
2009-06-27, 07:38 PM
Google search did bring me to the big full-world map, though: It's huge, and it's here. (http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZSiraaj9.jpg)

I also found the Najmah map below that: here it is. (http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZNajmah5.jpg)

My search revealed nothing. :smallannoyed:

At least somebody found it. Thanks for the help.

Juhn
2009-06-27, 07:39 PM
Wow. The Antarctic section is massive.

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 07:49 PM
I think that now is the time for a prudent release.

Provided that neither Zeta nor Shadow protests, here's something you've all been looking forward to: the map.

If you view the image within via any means, you sign a contract that releases me from any particularly irritating questions regarding the demographics, climate, economy, religion or culture of any area on this map, no matter how intrigued you are.

Dead serious. You read the above first. Are you sure you agree?
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZSiraaj10.jpg

Juhn
2009-06-27, 07:51 PM
So, if we look at the map, we're not allowed to ask anything about it?

Well, so much for looking at that map then.

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 07:52 PM
So, if we look at the map, we're not allowed to ask anything about it?

Well, so much for looking at that map then.

And what kinds of things whould you want to ask about?

I'm certain I left loopholes in that legalese, but in the main I prohibited a flood of template annoying questions.

Juhn
2009-06-27, 07:53 PM
...I don't know. I'd probably have to look at the map to find out.

I'd probably wonder what was up with those bodies of water I spotted way back when, though.

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 07:56 PM
...I don't know. I'd probably have to look at the map to find out.

Look at it this way - without looking at the map, you can't ask those questions. You also can't ask any questions about it that I didn't ban. There's really nothing to lose by looking at the map.

Juhn
2009-06-27, 07:58 PM
Yes there is: I don't get roped into any sort of contract.

You have a tendency to outright ignore questions you don't feel like answering anyway, so I really don't see the necessity of this.

Alteran
2009-06-27, 07:59 PM
I'm assuming that the map is only of Siraaj, but we all know what happens when you assume. So, before I look at the map:

Are there any particularly interesting natural phenomena (such as aurora borealis, meteor showers, dirty thunderstorms et al.) on Najmah?
This is Najmah, there have to be some.
What are they?

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 08:04 PM
Yes there is: I don't get roped into any sort of contract.

The contract only prevents you from exploiting the information gained for the purposes of annoying me.

You have a tendency to outright ignore questions you don't feel like answering anyway, so I really don't see the necessity of this.

Logically, I won't have to ignore or crack off sarcastic retorts to as many questions.

I'm assuming that the map is only of Siraaj, but we all know what happens when you assume. So, before I look at the map:

It is only of Siraaj, since I don't have clearance from the team yet.

Are there any particularly interesting natural phenomena (such as aurora borealis, meteor showers, dirty thunderstorms et al.) on Najmah?

Oh, of course. As you yourself said:

This is Najmah, there have to be some.

And note that the rules wouldn't block such a question anyway. They'd stop you from asking "what kind of natural phenomena does Townsville experience? What about the Placename region?"

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 08:21 PM
What, so nobody wants to risk it? Fully-labeled map?

Alteran
2009-06-27, 08:23 PM
Oh, I looked. I just have nothing pressing to ask right now.

Actually, wait. One question. What happened to the other two continents we see on the full map of Siraaj? Are they not yet detailed as finely? Will they be?

Hyozo
2009-06-27, 08:34 PM
Sea of Fiery Knives...

Assume that a generic adventuring party is suddenly teleported into the center of the Sea of Fiery Knives without being prepared for such an occasion (bad guy with a genie perhaps?) Do they have any hope of reaching civilization alive?

If yes, how can I go about crushing that hope?

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 08:36 PM
Oh, I looked. I just have nothing pressing to ask right now.

'Course you don't. You're under oath. :smallamused:

Actually, wait. One question. What happened to the other two continents we see on the full map of Siraaj?

They are... largely irrelevant.

Are they not yet detailed as finely?

Not even close. Consider them to be the Maztica and Kara-Tur to the central continent's Faerun.

Will they be?

Not by release. And possibly not ever.

The same applies to the corresponding regions of Najmah. In-house, we refer to the main region as the Square of Focus.

unosarta
2009-06-27, 08:38 PM
Is there any reason that the island in the central north of both maps is white, and roughly the same size, or is it just a coincidence?

Also, is sailing a big thing Agriculturally [does that even have to do with agriculture? well, the food stuff] on Najmah because of the large seas.

Do the people of Najmah even eat? What do they eat [generally world wide (since it doesn't appear to be too big) or Culture specific if there are no big food eaten all over.]

How is racism/sexism/bigotry in general treated among the different races and cultures of both planes? is there a certain race that is more racist/sexist/bigoted than others? Why is this race so Racist/Sexist/Bigoted?

Are there any big continent wide threats that might have countries/city states/governments banding together? If the governments wont band together, is this because of Racism/Bigotry? Is it because of personal prejudice of top governmental leaders? Is it because of past experiences with the races?

where do druids congregate the most? is there a certain forest, desert, oasis that has special or divine power and meaning for druids? what is the most common animal companion for a druid? why is this animal most common? what races are the most common to become druids? why is this? Are druids common knowledge in this setting? If you were to interview a random peasant on the street, what are the chances of him knowing, a druid, of druids, and how druids operate?

What secret groups are there around? why are these groups so secret?

How are rangers treated? Are they less/more/equally treated compared to other classes? what is the most common Ranger animal companion? Is it different from the druids most common animal companion? why?

How are monks treated compared to other classes? are they feared/respected/unheard of? why is the monk treated as such? why do monks adventure in your setting? is there a specific reason beyond the normal for money, for good, for evil, soo on and so forth. what races are the most common monks? Do monks live in monasteries like in other Dungeons and Dragons settings? Why or Why not?

I cant remember anything about the races, so I cant really ask anything about those. :smalltongue:

who are the best metal workers in your setting [adventurers always need equipment, so this is actually kind of important.] is there any specific reason for this creature being the best metal workers? What do these creatures think about adventurers [I.E. they hate them for using their creations for war, love them for even using their creations, etc]? Are there any really exotic qualities and ores that are used for weapons and armor? What race or creature uses that ore/specific material/technique? why do they use these techniques/Materials? are they easier to use, easier to gather, easier to work?

Is there a specific country/city/government/people that have the complete upper hand in military situations? In Diplomatic situations? why [for both questions. no cheating me out of an answer here :smallwink:]?

are countries in general more likely to use diplomacy or violence when a conflict comes up [for both planes]? are the planes balanced between war and diplomacy? why is this true?

How is Alcohol treated in this setting? Is it something drank commonly? why? How is it viewed among the common people [I.E. Hated, Loved, Not Known of, Etc.]? how is Alcohol viewed among the upper classes?

are there any drugs in this setting [such as the drugs from the BoVD]? Are they something Used commonly? Why? Who would use Drugs if they do exist?

How is Nature treated? Do Druids only worship it? Do druids even worship it? who do druids worship? why? Is Limalia [if I can remember correctly] viewed as a creator/controller of the land/desert or is she viewed as the Actual desert? On a similar note, Are the aspects Worshiped in their own temples with their own visage/Someone Else's Visage/An altogether made up Visage/No visage, because people do not worship the actual form of the Aspects, but what they represent [I.E. that one demon sun guy is Actually worshiped as if he were the Sun, not in his actual form (unless people have suddenly started worshiping demons main stream).] Which Aspect has control over stars? or are the Stars just ignored up in the sky [I am assuming Someone must worship the stars, I mean it is fairly common in most cultures]? Why are there no class specific god/dieties/demigods? Who would a barbarian most likely worship, if we ignored his race and location? why would said barbarian worship the god mentioned?

Are there any location specific weapons, such as having most people who live in X place wield Y weapon? Location specific armor? Are these location specific armors/weapons new [to Dungeons and Dragons/D20r whatever. :smalltongue:]? Can You describe them for us [if no, why?]?

When do Solars/angels/archons get the chance to mate with non-divines if they are working for Zihaja? how are Tieflings/Aasimar treated in each plane? are they common? why?

Sorry if some of these questions have already been asked. they represent all of the things I still dont understand and can actually ask. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Ooh, nice map by the way. Give your cartographer my respects.

Hyozo
2009-06-27, 08:44 PM
unosarta, I think afroakuma is just going to love that post. :smallbiggrin:

unosarta
2009-06-27, 08:56 PM
unosarta, I think afroakuma is just going to love that post. :smallbiggrin:
I know. :smallbiggrin: I added in the little follow up "why"s to agravate him. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 08:56 PM
Assume that a generic adventuring party is suddenly teleported into the center of the Sea of Fiery Knives without being prepared for such an occasion (bad guy with a genie perhaps?) Do they have any hope of reaching civilization alive?

Only such hope as the DM gives them.

If yes, how can I go about crushing that hope?

See above.

Stuff.

Oh gods... :eek:

Is there any reason that the island in the central north of both maps is white, and roughly the same size, or is it just a coincidence?

Coincidence.

Also, is sailing a big thing Agriculturally [does that even have to do with agriculture? well, the food stuff] on Najmah because of the large seas.

The races of Najmah have not acquired the science of sailing.

Do the people of Najmah even eat?

Yes. Not all of them do, but many.

Are there any big continent wide threats that might have countries/city states/governments banding together?

Not currently.

where do druids congregate the most?

They don't; really. Oddly enough, the largest congregations of druids are in cities.

what is the most common animal companion for a druid?

Can't think of one, off the top of my head.

what races are the most common to become druids?

Lizardfolk.

why is this?

Because in their entry it says "Favored Class: Druid."

Are druids common knowledge in this setting?

Usually, on Siraaj at any rate.

If you were to interview a random peasant on the street, what are the chances of him knowing, a druid,

Depends where.

of druids, and how druids operate?

More likely and less likely, respectively.

What secret groups are there around? why are these groups so secret?

They're so secret because I didn't tell you what they were. :smallbiggrin:

How are rangers treated? Are they less/more/equally treated compared to other classes?

Equally, I guess.

what is the most common Ranger animal companion?

See above.

How are monks treated compared to other classes? are they feared/respected/unheard of?

Generally respected.

what races are the most common monks?

Probably humans.

Do monks live in monasteries like in other Dungeons and Dragons settings?

No; they normally live in temples.

who are the best metal workers in your setting [adventurers always need equipment, so this is actually kind of important.]

Blacksmiths.

Is there a specific country/city/government/people that have the complete upper hand in military situations?

No.

In Diplomatic situations?

Also no.

why [for both questions. no cheating me out of an answer here :smallwink:]?

I can cheat you out of any answers I want, in this case because technically there aren't any.

are countries in general more likely to use diplomacy or violence when a conflict comes up [for both planes]?

In a conflict? Violence.

How is Alcohol treated in this setting? Is it something drank commonly?

Varies.

why?

:confused:

How is Nature treated? Do Druids only worship it? Do druids even worship it? who do druids worship? why?

...did you deliberately structure your questions to be as annoying as possible?

Druids venerate nature, or worship an appropriate deity, such as Pashati, Limalia, Umaj or Zaia.

Is Limalia [if I can remember correctly] viewed as a creator/controller of the land/desert or is she viewed as the Actual desert?

Controller.

On a similar note, Are the aspects Worshiped in their own temples with their own visage

That would be impossible.

An altogether made up Visage/No visage

Those two.

Which Aspect has control over stars? or are the Stars just ignored up in the sky [I am assuming Someone must worship the stars, I mean it is fairly common in most cultures]?

Nobody venerates the stars via Aspect. The demigod Sunya has jurisdiction over the night and the night sky.

Why are there no class specific god/dieties/demigods?

:smallconfused: Why would there be? There aren't any in Core.

Who would a barbarian most likely worship, if we ignored his race and location?

Without either of those factors, I really have no answer for you. Sunya, maybe.

why would said barbarian worship the god mentioned?

...process of elimination?

Are there any location specific weapons, such as having most people who live in X place wield Y weapon? Location specific armor? Are these location specific armors/weapons new [to Dungeons and Dragons/D20r whatever. :smalltongue:]?

Oh, probably.

Can You describe them for us [if no, why?]?

I'm pretty sure that I hate you.

I can't describe them because we haven't gotten there yet.

When do Solars/angels/archons get the chance to mate with non-divines if they are working for Zihaja?

They do not.

I know. :smallbiggrin: I added in the little follow up "why"s to agravate him. :smalltongue:

And in return, I arbitrarily deleted half your questions without answering them.

Juhn
2009-06-27, 09:35 PM
Arbitrarily? :smallfrown:

Zeta Kai
2009-06-27, 09:54 PM
Arbitrarily? :smallfrown:

To be fair, he admirably answered the other half. :smallcool:

Oh, & Afro, you have my permission to show Najmah.

Juhn
2009-06-27, 09:58 PM
Yes, but using the word arbitrarily is blatantly advertising the fact that there was no reasoning behind it.

unosarta
2009-06-27, 10:01 PM
Oh gods... :eek:
wow. did I really scare you that much?

Coincidence.
aw. Coincidences suck :smalltongue:

The races of Najmah have not acquired the science of sailing.
Why? Are they afraid of water? Seriously? They have THAT much water surrounding them, and they just ignore it? what about the fish who live closer in to shore? Do the ones who do eat fish those? If not, Why not?

Yes. Not all of them do, but many.
Which ones do, and which dont? Why [Physiological reasons, psychological reasons, Etc. and yes because they don't need to is not really a good enough answer]?

Not currently.
What were the country uniting Forces? why did they cause countries to unite?

They don't; really. Oddly enough, the largest congregations of druids are in cities.
Why is that? So you guys basically got rid of the Druids Grove thing? I was expecting more cool oasis/desert flavored druids.

Can't think of one, off the top of my head.
this is something you really need to think of. different Races will want different animal companions, and it is easier to understand the reasons for picking an animal based on locations rather than coolness.

Lizardfolk.
Again, I have basically no knowledge of races, or their flavor/countries [that is why I referred to countries rather than specific races.]

Because in their entry it says "Favored Class: Druid."
That does explain a little. But Why Does It Say That?!

Usually, on Siraaj at any rate.
Why are they not common in Najmah? is there a Bias against druids? Nature? Animals? what animals live in Najmah anyway? how the Physiology of Najmah? has it changed since the Rip opened between the planes? why is this? has this changed druids on either sides [Siraaji drudis have animals come in or leave, find new species, Etc.]? Was the tear in a specific place? why there? is the tear still visible to normal/magical detection [can your everyday commoner/serf see the thing?]?

Depends where.
Where would a peasant have to be to have most peasants know at least one druid? if not a specific place, where are they most commonly found? why that spot?

More likely and less likely, respectively.
Why? Do the Druids keep secrets about their actions? why is this? have they been persecuted? why have they been persecuted [if at all]?

They're so secret because I didn't tell you what they were. :smallbiggrin:
Ooh, so Secret! will you ever tell us? why not? do you hate follow up questions? why is that? Do you think should stop asking them? Were you ever hurt as a child by Follow up questions?

Equally, I guess.
Why? Arent Clerics a big part of the whole makeup of this plane [or planes]? so why is a ranger treated the same as a cleric? is he treated worse as the cleric? or paladin? If this about specifics, where is a ranger treated with the most respect? why that place?

See above.
AA, you need to be a bit more creative in your question dodging! :smalltongue:
Animal companions can really define a character! the character wants to make the most sense, so I will ask you again, and hope you pull something out of your butt that is realistic and believable this time.
what is the most common animal companion? :smallbiggrin:

Generally respected.
Why? is there a reason why they are not feared? Unheard of? Are there any feared Monks? who are they? why are they feared?

Probably humans.
Why humans? are tehy more disciplined? more Physically capable?

No; they normally live in temples.
Um, NO. monasteries are temples. Or if they live in places actually devoted to gods, why do they do this? what purpose is there in living in a shrine? What gods are the shrines usually devoted to? why is this? and please do not tell me that it depends on where they are. if all monks live in places dedicated to gods, I will be very disappointed [there goes all the Wuxia out the door. Hey, that isnt actually a bad idea. I take that back, I hope HoZ monks are all Temple cleaners who kick the asses of the other worshipers who try to jack their temples!]

Blacksmiths.
Ok, seriously? you cannot just tell me that all races are equally good at making weapons! That is boring. there has to be some inequality or all of the races just seem the same [sameness is bad. just look at 4e (Ha! i even got a 4e crack in this post!)].

No.
REALLY? there are no places that are more Militarized than ANY other country? REALLY? :judgmental look:

Also no.
Um, so they are all the same on Diplomacy, and War. so the only thing separating them Is Location and Races? and Maybe flavor [that had better be some DAMN good flavor!]? REALLY? :Judgmental Look:

I can cheat you out of any answers I want, in this case because technically there aren't any.
Why is that? are they all the same government!? ITS A CONSPIRACY! [no seriously, this is stretching the bounds of realism. Although, that is certainly saying something in a game with Giant fire breathing lizards and Small men who can kill them. :smallamused:

In a conflict? Violence.
Why? Are all races bred for war? are all cultures made for war? are they all suicidal?

Varies.
On what? Race? Location? I would appreciate some more information.Although I am not likely to get much.

:confused:
what? Oh, Right, Abused by follow up questions as a child. I am so sorry for you Mr. Akuma.

...did you deliberately structure your questions to be as annoying as possible?
In this case? actually yes. If by annoying you mean trying to get as much information for me, the readers, and trying to help you understand your own setting a bit more.

Druids venerate nature, or worship an appropriate deity, such as Pashati, Limalia, Umaj or Zaia.
What form do druids this nature takes? do certain druids think she/he/it [there is a good question, What sex is nature? why?] look different depending on where they are? where they were raised? do they get into arguments over this [COOLEST ARGUMENT EVER :smalltongue:]? might they get into arguments over this? or do they all just think she/he/it looks the same? why would they think that? is nature an aspect? Does Nature grant Zihaja divine... stuff? Does he like/dislike the druids because of this, or not even notice? why wouldnt he notice? are the druids that small of a group? or does nature worship actually give him power? anyone else worship nature? why?

Controller.
Are any of the Aspects worshiped as what they would control? Why?

That would be impossible.
What about the One sun demon guy? He is locked up, so it doesnt really matter for him, now does it? if so, why?

Those two.
who is worshiped by someone elses visage? whose visage, do they know, and why must they do that? and who is worshiped by no visage? do you know how hard it is to understand and worship a god who you dont even know what they look like? especially considering some of those worshipers dont even know stuff themselves. Religion is all about faith, and it is hard to put your faith into someone or something you cant emphasize with. that is why racial/class dieties [even with the rare class ones] are so venerated, because people what they do, and what they look like.

Nobody venerates the stars via Aspect. The demigod Sunya has jurisdiction over the night and the night sky.
So they must venerate the moon? i thought Sunya was just the moon. does that mean her male counterpart has control over the clouds? they are in the days sky? Who does have control over the skies? just those two?

:smallconfused: Why would there be? There aren't any in Core.
Heironeous and Paladins. Basically, what I meant was a god who is obviously going to be venerated by a certain class and anyone else is just icing on the proverbial cake of sharing [I need to get that line off more in general conversation.]

Without either of those factors, I really have no answer for you. Sunya, maybe.
Really? No god of war? This is the first setting I have ever heard of that has no god with some aspect of war. Good for you.

...process of elimination?
NO. Barbarians are Warriors. you have absolutely no warrior gods? that means that the Paladin the Ranger [less him, but still him somewhat], the Fighter, and the Barbarian are all screwed out of SOMEONE who they can emphasize with on a less than racial level.

Oh, probably.
Any that you would care to mention? If not, why? have you not written them? are they part of some crazy Plane wide conspiracy involving overgods, stairs and colossal sized paragon bunny rabbits? I am currently hoping for the last one, but any ideas you might have if not would be gladly heard and commented on

I'm pretty sure that I hate you.
well, thats too bad. :smallsmile: I guess I'll have to keep on asking you questions until you un-hate me!

I can't describe them because we haven't gotten there yet.
That is perfectly understandable, and thank you for not giving me some BS reason as to why you are not yet sure, or how it doesnt apply.

They do not.
So Aasimars and Tieflings are just not here? that is wierd. Why are they not? any specific reason? is Zihaja that overworking boss who never gives you a break? overworking on what, that strange hippo thingy? and before, you said zihaja chose to have solars/angels/archons to work for him. did he create them himself [IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?! oh, that needs to be an epic spell], or take them in to the planes? If the second, do they still remember stuff about the outside world? what if they had families on the outside planes? or what happens when they are killed? do they just slowly get less and less? what happens when the population goes out? why?

unosarta
2009-06-27, 10:03 PM
Yes, but using the word arbitrarily is blatantly advertising the fact that there was no reasoning behind it.

I am sure there is a reason CoughLazinessCoughCough..

Alteran
2009-06-27, 10:10 PM
I am sure there is a reason CoughLazinessCoughCough..

And in return, I arbitrarily deleted half your questions without answering them.

CoughRetaliationCough.

unosarta
2009-06-27, 10:14 PM
CoughRetaliationCough.

Hm, well, I guess that changes that. Sorry Afroakuma for trying to ask questions. :smallbiggrin:

No harm meant by the cough gag. just joking.

Juhn
2009-06-27, 10:53 PM
I am sure there is a reason
No, I meant, that's literally what the word arbitrary and its derivatives mean.

Also note that I couldn't even read through the latest set of questions, and I can't imagine a person sitting down and answering that many.

Lappy9000
2009-06-27, 11:00 PM
Yes, but using the word arbitrarily is blatantly advertising the fact that there was no reasoning behind it.'Least he didn't start choppin' heads off. Clearly our dread lord is feeling merciful.

Question! 'Cause I've had an interest in this topic lately, are you guys doing anything in the way of racial feats? If so, will they be available for all playable races? How many (if any) will be available to each race (approximately)?

(I don't believe it's been asked yet...) ([Parentheses are fun!])

unosarta
2009-06-27, 11:03 PM
No, I meant, that's literally what the word arbitrary and its derivatives mean.
I know, I was just joking.

Also note that I couldn't even read through the latest set of questions, and I can't imagine a person sitting down and answering that many.
First of all, I am not here to antagonize Afroakuma, I am here to help him, Zeta, and SE make a great setting. these questions all have to do with that. but back to what you said, yeah, for every answer he gives me, I usually have about 4 questions. so with him ignoring half of my questions, that is still a large amount that will be answered, and answers are always nice.

To reiterate, ALL OF THIS IS TO HELP MAKE AN AWESOME CAMPAIGN SETTING.

now, if I just had the answers for the latest round of questions, I could ask some more. :smallwink:

unosarta
2009-06-27, 11:08 PM
'Least he didn't start choppin' heads off. Clearly our dread lord is feeling merciful.
Clearly.

Question! 'Cause I've had an interest in this topic lately, are you guys doing anything in the way of racial feats? If so, will they be available for all playable races? How many (if any) will be available to each race (approximately)?
That... would be horrible. Handing out racial feats for a few races, and the others are all screwed on that end? I shudder at the thought. but anyway, I too am interested in Racial feats.

(I don't believe it's been asked yet...) ([Parentheses are fun!])

[({aren't they?})]

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 11:13 PM

The reasoning was that I quickly cottoned on to the fact that he was out to piss me off, and so whenever something looked at me funny, or struck me as "tl;dr" or struck me as something he might actually want to know, I deleted it.

Why? Are they afraid of water? Seriously? They have THAT much water surrounding them, and they just ignore it?

You are basing your questions on the technological development of our own world. Sailing on Siraaj was only developed 50 years ago.

So you guys basically got rid of the Druids Grove thing?

Dearth of forests, you know.

this is something you really need to think of.

...nnno, I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm pretty sure no other setting has a "default" or "most common" animal companion.

That does explain a little. But Why Does It Say That?!

...because I wrote it? And because Copy/Paste tends to replicate stored data, especially in such small amounts, with rather high fidelity?

Why are they not common in Najmah?

Some jerk played with the distribution dials and filled Najmah's box with Cheetos and Beanie Babies.

what animals live in Najmah anyway?

People die for asking me this question. :smallannoyed:

how the Physiology of Najmah?

This question makes no grammatical sense.

has it changed since the Rip opened between the planes? why is this?

See, now you're both out to annoy me and failing. These questions boil down to "Did Cause produce Effect? If so, what produced Effect?"

The answer to this tautological quandary, of course, would be Cause.

is the tear still visible to normal/magical detection [can your everyday commoner/serf see the thing?]?

There is no "tear," nor a rip, a hole, a rift or any other such physical disruption.

Where would a peasant have to be to have most peasants know at least one druid?

That reads like an abstract math problem.

if not a specific place, where are they most commonly found? why that spot?

Two inches to the southwest of my right big toe, because the ferry to Disneyworld docks there.

Why? Do the Druids keep secrets about their actions? why is this? have they been persecuted? why have they been persecuted [if at all]?

Now this feels like talking to a conspiracy theorist. :smalltongue:

Ooh, so Secret! will you ever tell us? why not? do you hate follow up questions? why is that? Do you think should stop asking them? Were you ever hurt as a child by Follow up questions?

:smallmad: Moving on, thank you.

Why? Arent Clerics a big part of the whole makeup of this plane [or planes]? so why is a ranger treated the same as a cleric?

Because if I said more or less, you'd next be asking for a gradient scale and I don't feel like arbitrarily assigning respect levels.

is he treated worse as the cleric? or paladin? If this about specifics, where is a ranger treated with the most respect? why that place?

He's treated a lot better than you're gonna be in the near future. :smallmad: *arms Hellstar*

AA, you need to be a bit more creative in your question dodging! :smalltongue:

That wasn't a dodge the first time, and wasn't a dodge this time either.

Animal companions can really define a character!

That's probably true.

the character wants to make the most sense, so I will ask you again, and hope you pull something out of your butt that is realistic and believable this time.
what is the most common animal companion? :smallbiggrin:

South American Golden Arrow Frog. Desist with this inane question. No other setting in history has answered this. It is a non-issue.

Why? is there a reason why they are not feared? Unheard of? Are there any feared Monks? who are they? why are they feared?

Fine. They're feared. Also leprous, ugly, nerdy and all named Moe. Also, all monks are elves. All elves are fluorescent cerulean.

Why humans? are tehy more disciplined? more Physically capable?

Sorry, I meant fluorescent cerulean ugly nerdy elves named Moe who have contracted leprosy.

Um, NO. monasteries are temples.

Um, NO. At least, no more than squares are rectangles. But if I say rectangle, I doubt the first figure in your mind has four sides of equal length.

Or if they live in places actually devoted to gods, why do they do this?

Free HBO.

what purpose is there in living in a shrine?

Yeah, cause that arrangement's never worked out for anyone in recorded history.

What gods are the shrines usually devoted to? why is this? and please do not tell me that it depends on where they are.

Alright, I won't tell you that.

Ok, seriously? you cannot just tell me that all races are equally good at making weapons!

Can if I want to. I can tell you things about neon blue treehugging Shaolins, too.

REALLY? there are no places that are more Militarized than ANY other country? REALLY? :judgmental look:

I don't think your smiley worked.

And you asked for a military superpower, one whose military strength far outclassed any other. So I answered your question correctly.

Um, so they are all the same on Diplomacy, and War. so the only thing separating them Is Location and Races? and Maybe flavor [that had better be some DAMN good flavor!]? REALLY? :Judgmental Look:

Maybe if you clarified your questions instead of presenting them in a fashion deliberately designed to irritate me?

Why is that? are they all the same government!? ITS A CONSPIRACY! [no seriously, this is stretching the bounds of realism.

Not at all. You asked an interpretable question that I took at face value. At face value, I gave you the correct answer.

On what? Race? Location? I would appreciate some more information.Although I am not likely to get much.

Race, location, culture, religion, all that good stuff.

what? Oh, Right, Abused by follow up questions as a child. I am so sorry for you Mr. Akuma.

You asked me why people use alcohol. I think that deserves a funny look.

In this case? actually yes. If by annoying you mean trying to get as much information for me, the readers, and trying to help you understand your own setting a bit more.

You have no credibility here. The series of questions you posed could have come from a hyperactive talking squirrel who didn't wait to get the answer before making his next inquiry. "What's going on? Is the sky blue? What color is the sky? Is the sky red?"

Look at what you asked:

How is Nature treated? Do Druids only worship it? Do druids even worship it? who do druids worship? why?

Only the last two questions are needed here. Hence me asking if you were writing your questions in this fashion to be a pain.

What form do druids this nature takes?

Grammar, please.

is nature an aspect?

Yes.

Are any of the Aspects worshiped as what they would control?

Johoum and Pashati, sometimes.

Why?

From now on, every time I see this question from you, I'm going to reduce the number of lucky days allotted to your lifespan by 1.

What about the One sun demon guy? He is locked up, so it doesnt really matter for him, now does it?

I don't understand this question at all.

if so, why?

That's one less lucky day for you.

who is worshiped by someone elses visage?

Who said anything about "someone else's?" You asked about made-up iconography for deities, which every primitive culture did. Routinely.

whose visage, do they know, and why must they do that?

See above.

do you know how hard it is to understand and worship a god who you dont even know what they look like?

See Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

So they must venerate the moon? i thought Sunya was just the moon.

That is incorrect.

does that mean her male counterpart has control over the clouds? they are in the days sky? Who does have control over the skies? just those two?

What is going on? I don't understand what you're going on about anymore.

Heironeous and Paladins. Basically, what I meant was a god who is obviously going to be venerated by a certain class and anyone else is just icing on the proverbial cake of sharing [I need to get that line off more in general conversation.]

Ah. No, there are none of those.

Really? No god of war? This is the first setting I have ever heard of that has no god with some aspect of war. Good for you.

Not what I said at all, but you seem happy so we'll leave it be.

NO. Barbarians are Warriors. you have absolutely no warrior gods?

You told me to remove location and race from the factors, which eliminates all ten aspects instantly, as well as three of the remaining seven. That leaves four, three of whom have little to do with combat in any way, shape or form. Process of elimination.

Any that you would care to mention? If not, why? have you not written them?

That would be correct.

well, thats too bad. :smallsmile: I guess I'll have to keep on asking you questions until you un-hate me!

Yeah, that's how it's done. :smalltongue:

That is perfectly understandable, and thank you for not giving me some BS reason as to why you are not yet sure, or how it doesnt apply.

Are you suggesting I've been giving you BS excuses for things?

So Aasimars and Tieflings are just not here? that is wierd.

Never said that.

Why are they not?

Not voted in? I would have thought that obvious...

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 11:16 PM

:smallsigh: Welcome to my world. Now mix in a bit of "half of them are there to annoy you" and you may be approaching my mood.

'Least he didn't start choppin' heads off. Clearly our dread lord is feeling merciful.

Very barely.

Question! 'Cause I've had an interest in this topic lately, are you guys doing anything in the way of racial feats?

Yes indeed.

If so, will they be available for all playable races?

I believe so, yes.

How many (if any) will be available to each race (approximately)?

Couldn't say, but from a quickly-done mathematical standpoint, I'd say 6.

Lappy9000
2009-06-27, 11:17 PM
Glories of Public RelationsI lol'd.
And, thank you for the Racial Feat answers!

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 11:23 PM
Well, since I've been authorized to release both, here we go!

If you view either image linked herein via any means, you sign a contract that releases me from any particularly irritating questions regarding the demographics, climate, economy, religion or culture of any area on either map, no matter how intrigued you are.

Siraaj

Najmah
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZNajmah4.jpg

Lappy9000
2009-06-27, 11:26 PM
No questions.

Just a shout-out to awesome naming and fantastic map-making skills! :smallcool:

Edit: Purely on a technical level, I know Zeta uses some awesome map-making program I'm too incompetent to manage, but any tips on getting the text to show up so clearly? I.E. do you know what font is used on those maps?

....sorry for lying ;;>>

Shadow_Elf
2009-06-27, 11:34 PM
We didn't include Sirngaveram in the Square of Focus? I thought we determined it was rather important...

Juhn
2009-06-27, 11:35 PM
The reasoning was that I quickly cottoned on to the fact that he was out to piss me off, and so whenever something looked at me funny, or struck me as "tl;dr" or struck me as something he might actually want to know, I deleted it.That's entirely valid, but that makes it not arbitrary.

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 11:38 PM
That's entirely valid, but that makes it not arbitrary.

No, I'm pretty sure it is, since it was basically me scrolling down, highlighting and deleting, largely regardless of actual content.

You shouldn't be complaining, though; I subjected him to arbitrary ignorance as retaliation for him deliberately annoying me. Nothing wrong with that.

Juhn
2009-06-27, 11:41 PM
Nonetheless, there was reasoning behind which ones you chose to delete, which means these decisions were not made arbitrarily.

With regard to the spoiler, I admire your patience afro. I really, really do.

LordZarth
2009-06-27, 11:55 PM
:smallconfused: That's not all of Najmah, is it?

If you click on either spoiler box, you sign a contract that releases me from any particularly irritating questions regarding the demographics, climate, economy, religion or culture of any area on either map, no matter how intrigued you are.

This still allows us to ask any question, it just means that you don't have to answer ones you deem 'particularly irritating'. Like usually.

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 11:56 PM
Nonetheless, there was reasoning behind which ones you chose to delete, which means these decisions were not made arbitrarily.

You'd think that, except for reason number one:

"If something looked at me funny"

Which is another way of saying (assuming I'm not insane and believe that particular portions of text are sentient and have eyes) that I did it arbitrarily because I was annoyed. It wasn't completely arbitrary, in that some of the ones that, by the arbitrary process, would have been left alone, instead got deleted because I wanted to deprive unosarta of the answers.

:smallconfused: That's not all of Najmah, is it?

It is not. That is Najmah's Square of Focus.

This still allows us to ask any question, it just means that you don't have to answer ones you deem 'particularly irritating'. Like usually.

Not at all. It doesn't say it releases me from answering them, it says it releases me from them, period. As in, they do not trespass upon my person or my domain, and I am not subjected to them in any form.

Juhn
2009-06-28, 12:15 AM
Well, I still haven't opened either of them (as, again, I don't like being forced to sign contracts), but I will ask this:

Does the map of Najmah finally explain what the big rainbow splotch is supposed to be?

Alteran
2009-06-28, 12:35 AM
Does the map of Najmah finally explain what the big rainbow splotch is supposed to be?

Nope, no label on that.

I would suggest you just look at them. They're very nice maps, and the only questions they're preventing you from asking are ones that Afro won't answer anyways.

unosarta
2009-06-28, 01:43 AM
Similar to you wants, I have spoilered my response.

Before I even go n for this, I am sorry. I have apparently come across differently than I would have liked to come across. I am trying to understand why you wrote some of the things you wrote, and understand some of the things you are doing with your, amazingly awesome campaign setting. I am sorry if My writing came off as if I were a chirpy little squirrel from hell, but I like to write out my thoughts as I go, and I think relatively fast. I will attempt to refrain from thinking to fast from now on, In order to correctly answer your questions in ways that will be more apparent to you. I am sorry if I came off harshly, however some parts of this are very strange to me, Such as parts of your thought process. But I am working as hard as I can to clarify my questions, and write less. I completely understand your points, and I am sorry for Writing a lot. Something else I must say. When I wrote the Line saying that I wrote those "why"s just to annoy you, I was joking. I am sorry if this came off in any other way. thank you for reading this, and now its time to answer some of your completely valid counter arguments:

The reasoning was that I quickly cottoned on to the fact that he was out to piss me off, and so whenever something looked at me funny, or struck me as "tl;dr" or struck me as something he might actually want to know, I deleted it.
As I said above, I am sorry if I appeared to be trying to piss you off, I was doing no such thing. I was joking. I will attempt to keep such joking to a minimum from now on, lest I anger you more [I am completely serious. Now that I realize that my sarcasm, or joking cannot reach you, I am attempting to remain coherent and Unjoking from now on].

You are basing your questions on the technological development of our own world. Sailing on Siraaj was only developed 50 years ago.
I would appreciate to know why the people of Najmah and Siraaj have not invented the Boat yet. I have heard of French people who had made boats and sailed across seas into Polynesia in the Ice Age, so the only way I can imagine is that [A] the People of Najmah and Siraaj are less progressive than humans, as I believe that the argument can be made that Boat and Sea travel is faster than that of Land travel. or that for some outside reason [such as the amount of time the Siraaji and the People of Najmah didnt have enough time to create boats or sea travel, because they were only on the plane for several hundred years (I am not sure how long it took the French Cavemen to build boats. I am not an expert on Cavemen, or the French.)] But Either way it does not matter, because you have decided that they have made the progression fast enough, or in the right direction to create water transport. I simply am attempting to understand why said People of Najmah have not already made Sea craft.

Dearth of forests, you know.
I suppose this is True, however, I believe that there are still oasis' on Siraaj [seeing as the lack of druids in Najmah], and the idea of a druid Oasis, Instead of a grove would be interesting.

...nnno, I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm pretty sure no other setting has a "default" or "most common" animal companion.
I simply think that it might help in creating a druid character. Another way I could have put the question is as so: What types of Climates are in different places. But, if I did ask the question that way, I would have to know What animals live in what Climates, and also a map of Said climates, and finally a map of actual cities/governments, or just layouts of general race to population maps, which I am fairly sure that you probably know about without a map [or two]. I was simply trying to expedite the answer. I am sorry if I did not get my point across, and also tried to create more work for you. actually, I probably could have gone away with just the knowledge of race to population scales for different areas, and climate areas, but those would be fairly hard to actually tell, or even give up, seeing as you do not particularly like to give up information that has not been asked in a very specific way. this is also why I have written so many extra questions. It is because something I have noticed you do is not give out any information unless the questioner asks very specific questions. So I have attempted to ask specific Questions.

...because I wrote it? And because Copy/Paste tends to replicate stored data, especially in such small amounts, with rather high fidelity?
What I meant to say was why has the Lizardfolk race evolved in such a way as to require that lizardfolk are good at being druids. But, Since this has probably been answered before, can some give me a link? If not, and you would not like to answer go ahead and don't. I am just trying to understand your choices for your races.

Some jerk played with the distribution dials and filled Najmah's box with Cheetos and Beanie Babies.
I am very confused by this answer. I believe this is you angry at me for asking a lot of badly worded questions. So, am I allowed to ask again? For real this time? I dont care if I dont get an answer, I just want to know more about my favorite class in Dungeons and Dragons.

People die for asking me this question. :smallannoyed:
I have heard of dying for worse, and Since you obviously dont want to answer it, Ok, I wont ask.

This question makes no grammatical sense.
My real question is rather stupid so I am withdrawing it [especially knowing now that you dont like talking about animals in Najmah].

See, now you're both out to annoy me and failing. These questions boil down to "Did Cause produce Effect? If so, what produced Effect?"

The answer to this tautological quandary, of course, would be Cause.
What I was meaning to ask is how the Physiology of Najmah has changed with the tear through the protections from crossing over to the other plane. I am assuming that both sides have different diseases, and I am curious how that affected the other side crossing in [such as how the British gave Indians Diseases that their immune system couldnt deal with when they came over to america.]

There is no "tear," nor a rip, a hole, a rift or any other such physical disruption.
So, the Djinn got in through a hole in a magical barrier. That makes sense. I withdraw all questions regarding that, then.

That reads like an abstract math problem.
Really? Sorry, I guess. What I meant to Say, Is that, you have said that druids are most commonly found in Cities, correct? If you answer no, I will know that you are lying, so I can move on. Well, If that is true, than I wish to know where Is the highest population on druids in any city [which city has the most druids]?

Two inches to the southwest of my right big toe, because the ferry to Disneyworld docks there.
Well, Since you obviously have a problem with answering specific places at this time, I would ask that you ammend all question seeking with a header saying: "PLEASE DO NOT ASK ABOUT SPECIFIC PLACES." It would very well Help someone like me who has a small amount of information about your setting, but would like to know more, but has apparently not gotten the "memo" Saying the above banner. I am not necesarily saying that I speak for such a person [as you have pointed out after one of my questions], but only that it would be easier to ask questions if you know what questions WILL NOT be answered, such as these types of questions

Now this feels like talking to a conspiracy theorist. :smalltongue:
I assure you, I was simply joking on the matter, as apparently are you. I would ask that if you cannot seem to understand my joking and would yell at me for it, that you yourself would keep such joking to a minimum.

:smallmad: [B]Moving on, thank you.
Yet again, I was simply joking on the matter. as I have said In above post, If you would appreciate me from joking, than you would do the same yourself.

Because if I said more or less, you'd next be asking for a gradient scale and I don't feel like arbitrarily assigning respect levels.
I am sorry If I attempted to understand the way that other people felt about monks and other classes. I can also completely understand if you do not want to answer my question, and I am sorry if I attempted to ask a question that would hinder your crazy awesome hombebrew skills [and please know, while I may sound sarcastic I am not].

He's treated a lot better than you're gonna be in the near future. :smallmad: *arms Hellstar*
Well, that is a start. I now know that the Ranger isnt killed for asking to many questions.

That wasn't a dodge the first time, and wasn't a dodge this time either.
*sigh* look, I really cant detect sarcasm over the internet, but this really sounds like a dodge. and I am sorry if this question hurt your feelings or something [I really have no idea, and frankly don't want to know], But I am trying to come across with the truth, and say things how I see them, and these both looked clearly like dodged questions. I dont mind if you dodge them, but can you please just at least give a reason for the dodging?

That's probably true.
I do understand that you hate answering this question, but rangers and druids are my two favorite classes, and I want to know how you take your spin on them. So please try to understand that it is not Inane, and If you really want to dont answer this question, but I would appreciate it if you would.

South American Golden Arrow Frog. Desist with this inane question. No other setting in history has answered this. It is a non-issue.
As I have said above, this is completely not Inane for me, but If I ask you a question, I would appreciate it if you told me outright that you are not answering it, or tell me the answer. I actually kind of got my hopes up that I got an answer there, but apparently not.

Fine. They're feared. Also leprous, ugly, nerdy and all named Moe. Also, all monks are elves. All elves are fluorescent cerulean.
I think that your first post on the matter really cleared things up for me, but again, I have to ask that you do not do this kind of thing and just tell me that you do not have the answer [and quite honestly, I wouldnt have had the answer to that either, so I do understand, and I am sorry If I asked a stupid question.]

Sorry, I meant fluorescent cerulean ugly nerdy elves named Moe who have contracted leprosy.
See above point.

Um, NO. At least, no more than squares are rectangles. But if I say rectangle, I doubt the first figure in your mind has four sides of equal length.
I really havent gotten a definite answer here, so I would love to know, Do Monks live in Monastery like places, where they practice in a group combine type area, and work towards bettering themselves, or do they live in a Temple, attempting to protect it from the worshipers of other gods?

Free HBO.
Look, I appreciate the attempt at humor, But see every above post I have on why this is not a good time to attempt to smash someones questions that are attempting to clear stuff up, and still be funny. If you dont like jokes, dont use them.

Yeah, cause that arrangement's never worked out for anyone in recorded history.
Um, not for martial artists. they only really spiritual martial artists I can think of are the Shaolin, and they practice Bhuddism, which is not really about worshiping a god, or at least, not for the monks themselves. Unless you have completely redone all of the asian influences on the Monk that pretty much define it, in which case, I would like to hear about that [unless we have already had a spoiler on monks].

Alright, I won't tell you that.
Look, I just want an answer that does actually compose of some information concerning the monks. I mean, if you want to keep on posting information like that, then Just tell me. I wonder what happens when I ask about specific places though... [please, I am not trying to be critical here, but it is getting REALLY hard to find information. If this is because you guys are hard pressed to give any out, then I will stop even trying to post here forthwith, seeing as most questions I am asking will be shot down. And I am really interested and curious about this really cool setting, but why would I even try if I am never going to get any information? It does not make any sense to me.]

Can if I want to. I can tell you things about neon blue treehugging Shaolins, too.
Ok, if you want to, that is fine. I am sorry if I was being incredulous at the amount of strange and all to cliched information I appear to be getting here. I just really want to know about weapons in your setting as well. I think there are many interesting ways you could take them and I want to know more about the ways you guys are taking it. that is all.

I don't think your smiley worked.
I am sorry if I sounded a little... jerkish right here. It just doesnt make any sense to me that all of the countries have the same military and diplomatic power as all other countries. Even right now, In the U.N., not all countries have the same military or diplomatic power, and while I am sure that your setting is not like the U.N, If the U.N. has over 150 countries, and they are imbalanced in power, it doesnt make sense to me that your countries and city states have the same amount of power. Maybe you can explain to me why it is. I would certainly like to know [there is absolutely no sarcasm in this message].

And you asked for a military superpower, one whose military strength far outclassed any other. So I answered your question correctly.
I believe I asked if any countries or city states are more powerful militarily, and you said no. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

Maybe if you clarified your questions instead of presenting them in a fashion deliberately designed to irritate me?
I am sorry If I did irritate you, however, the fact that you have not shown that the city states and governments of Siraaj and/or Najmah are any more different than each other kind of feels like a let down. I was expecting some strange imbalance of power that would be awesomely flavored, and then I got nothing. I will probably get that horribly awesome feeling once I read the final transcript once it is out [and boy cant I wait for it :smallsmile:], but In the mean time, all I have to keep myself going and not loosing interest is these spoilers, so I guess I would have appreciated a little more information, or the fact that there is none. or maybe both, I am not even sure, but it does seem kind of disappointing right now. Not that your setting isnt awesome.

Not at all. You asked an interpretable question that I took at face value. At face value, I gave you the correct answer.
See above answer. I think it applies to this as well.

Race, location, culture, religion, all that good stuff.
And no more specifics. Again I would ask for that banner, If at all possible. or at least something saying a line close to that [since a banner would probably be hard to do, and fairly unrealistic for me to ask for.]

You asked me why people use alcohol. I think that deserves a funny look.
Really? You could drink because of ssadness, you could drink just to party, you can drink, because you are disappointed. I simply thought that if I was going to get a specific answer [which I thought I was going to get], I would ask why people in those places drank. You could have said the it depends on the person, and I would have been fine with that. But I really dont think that a smiley was an answer.

You have no credibility here. The series of questions you posed could have come from a hyperactive talking squirrel who didn't wait to get the answer before making his next inquiry. "What's going on? Is the sky blue? What color is the sky? Is the sky red?"
I do understand that My thoughts may have appeared to be unorganized and hard to read, but when I am really excited about something interesting sometimes I write like that. It probably would have been easier if you had simply asked me to rewrite my questions so that they are easier to read. I probably would have understood. And on the credibility thing, I am sorry If you thought I meant that readers might actually care, I meant that if anyone who is new to the thread has something to ask, or say, that these things might help. I in no way tried to imply that I knew and know anything about what the other people reading this think. I am just trying to help others who come to this thread possibly as confused about your processes as I was. I am sorry If I offended you with any things I may have said.

Look at what you asked:

Only the last two questions are needed here. Hence me asking if you were writing your questions in this fashion to be a pain.

In no way was I attempting to be a "pain." I am sorry if my writing was hard to for you to write back to, and I am sorry If I took up too much of your time making you do this [seriously, no sarcasm. I know it is hard to come across the internet and so, I must say this, I truly am sorry if i hurt you, or your time quota in any way.]

Grammar, please.
I am sorry if my question was hard to read. What I was asking was "what form do druids think nature takes?"

From now on, every time I see this question from you, I'm going to reduce the number of lucky days allotted to your lifespan by 1.
I assure you sir, that I will no longer be asking that question. In fact, I will probably no longer be posting in this thread. not that I think that you or anyone else has been mean or badgering or anything, I just dont see the point anymore.

I don't understand this question at all.
Actually, this is a bad question any way. A better one is, Who decides what form the Aspect is worshiped in? the Worshipers? I would ask why the worshipers chose only Pashati and Johoum to be worshiped in the form that they are worshiped in, but that probably wouldnt get an answer, so I am not asking it.

That's one less lucky day for you.
Well, I guess so. I will contend to never, ever, ever ask a question that has multifaceted angles and surfaces, and a question that will provoke deep thoughts and arguments, because then I will surely die [this isnt a crack at you, I am just fed up with the fact that apparently I can no longer joke about anything. This is the first time I have ever even conversed with you. How would I know what drives you crazy? and Its not like I would actually do that to a person for no reason at all. Although I do admit to sounding very much like a for those two posts.]

Who said anything about "someone else's?" You asked about made-up iconography for deities, which every primitive culture did. Routinely.
I see what happened. I messed up. I thought since I asked of four choices, and you answered one, that those other two must have been the only ones. Because I could thought that you would answer all of them, I thought of the first two to come to mind, Other persons visage, and no visage. Because of this, You answered a completely correct answer, I was just confused.

See above.
I have.

See Judaism, Christianity and Islam.
In all of these religions, It is true that they do not represent their god with its actual visage, and I was wrong. Thank you for clearing this up for me, some of this stuff makes a lot more sense.

That is incorrect.
Well, Ok, I understand this point now.

What is going on? I don't understand what you're going on about anymore.
If you consider that Sunya has control over the nights Sky, I was wondering who has control over the day's sky. You know, clouds, winds, things like that. I assume if you want perfect symmetry that her counterpart must have control over the rest of the rest of the day's sky, or else the perfect symmetry is broken. Is that too much to assume?

Ah. No, there are none of those.
Oh, ok.

Not what I said at all, but you seem happy so we'll leave it be.
Look, what I was happy about is that you had the idea that there would be no god of war. that is an interesting concept and opens up a lot of areas for creativity. but what I have found out now is that there is a god of war, but that he is also a god of a specific place. What I can figure out from the Barbarian example, is that you must live in a certain place to worship said god of war or warriors. If this is wrong [which it likely is], then I can assume that you dont have to live in a certain place to worship that god of war. From what I can tell now, Is that I must live in the area of the God of War, and cannot worship him if I live elsewhere. What I meant in the Barbarian Exercise, is that a barbarian, Doesnt matter where he is from, or what race is he. I did not mean that he would worship no location based god, I meant that I was wondering what gods in general were of the warrior mentality and have a portfolio including war, but are not necessarily location based [although I am still very confused by this point.]

You told me to remove location and race from the factors, which eliminates all ten aspects instantly, as well as three of the remaining seven. That leaves four, three of whom have little to do with combat in any way, shape or form. Process of elimination.
Ah, I see. I messed up, and I guess you didnt understand what I messed up on. What I meant was, If Race Didnt matter, and Location didnt matter, then who would he worship.

Are you suggesting I've been giving you BS excuses for things?
No I am not. I guess sarcasm is hard to do over the internet, and sometimes totally innocuous statements can be taken as if they were being sarcastic, but I wasnt.

Never said that.
I said "When do solars get to mate with non-divines if they are working for Zihaja?" you said and I quote in response "They do not." If there are Rogue solars, that is made of win, and Would have been nice to know earlier. Otherwise, my point stands that you have said that there are no Aasimar [tieflings maybe, but That didnt really come up.]

Not voted in? I would have thought that obvious...
Well, I didnt mean "why werent they a player race", I meant If there are demons, and there are, and their are Solars, and there are, and their are humans and other strange humanoids, and there are, then why are there no Tieflings and Aasimar. I do not care if there are no player races of them, and I never really liked the plane-touched anyway, but it makes no sense if you first say that there isnt any time for the Solars/archons/whatever else to mate with the mortals, and then say that you never said that there were no Aasimar and Tieflings [although you never said that there were no tieflings]. Are there rogue Solars then? because other wise I can make no sense of this.

But, Since it would appear that you don really want to argue this, go ahead and do whatever you want. I am not coming back, and I hope that you all have a nice time working on this project. :smallsmile:

Zeta Kai
2009-06-28, 02:07 AM

The Sea of Golden Fire is not labeled on the map, nor would such a label explain the shape or composition.

Why Najmah looks the way it does, I will not say. But I will say that the area that the Build Team calls the Square of Focus is relatively normal on Najmah, by Siraajai standards. It may be perpetually nighttime, & it may be populated by legendary creatures & bizarre spiritfolk, but sand is sand, grass is grass, & water is water. As one gets farther away from Prana, this appearance of normality fades, & the true nature of the spiritual world is revealed. You'll note that some of the edges of the Najmah map are tinged with strange colors.

Juhn
2009-06-28, 02:27 AM
I would if I'd opened the spoiler, I'm sure. That might also help inform me as to what this "Prana" is.

Thane of Fife
2009-06-28, 06:51 AM
Out of curiosity, Earth is covered with big stuff from ages past (Pyramids, Stonehenge, Easter Island, etc); are there equivalents on Siraaj?

*arms Hellstar*

We can't repel firepower of that magnitude! All craft, prepare to retreat![/Admiral Ackbar]

afroakuma
2009-06-28, 08:09 AM
Similar to you wants, I have spoilered my response.

Groovy.

I would appreciate to know why the people of Najmah and Siraaj have not invented the Boat yet.

As I said, their technological developments diverged from the pattern established on Earth. Sailing ships are fairly complex, not to mention resource-intensive. It was considered a gamble 50 years ago, and is still a new thing on Siraaj today.

I suppose this is True, however, I believe that there are still oasis' on Siraaj [seeing as the lack of druids in Najmah], and the idea of a druid Oasis, Instead of a grove would be interesting.

And putting them within the communities they serve is somehow less interesting than saying "sorry guys, your usual lunchroom was uprooted - detour to the next most similar natural feature, please."

I simply think that it might help in creating a druid character.

I don't think that I should be the deciding vote in what your animal companion should be.

Another way I could have put the question is as so: What types of Climates are in different places. But, if I did ask the question that way, I would have to know What animals live in what Climates, and also a map of Said climates, and finally a map of actual cities/governments, or just layouts of general race to population maps, which I am fairly sure that you probably know about without a map [or two]. I was simply trying to expedite the answer.

See, here's the thing, which I guess you must have missed:

Asking me about what animals may, or may not be, in any area of the world is a taboo subject because I find it to spiral into simply ridiculous levels. We have built this campaign setting on the Arabian Nights, so the rule of thumb is that if it lives on the Arabian Peninsula, Iran, Egypt or northern India, it's there, and if not then no.

actually, I probably could have gone away with just the knowledge of race to population scales for different areas, and climate areas, but those would be fairly hard to actually tell, or even give up, seeing as you do not particularly like to give up information that has not been asked in a very specific way.

I also wouldn't give you that in any event. That sort of numerical fluff data is not compiled yet because we have better things to do.

What I meant to say was why has the Lizardfolk race evolved in such a way as to require that lizardfolk are good at being druids.

...it hasn't. Lizardfolk make good druids. May as well ask why elves evolved in such a way as to require that elves are good wizards, but a quick glance into most of elf culture as depicted in D&D says "uh... no guys, Ranger."

I am very confused by this answer.

Well, it was sarcasm, so that was the intended effect.

Really? Sorry, I guess. What I meant to Say, Is that, you have said that druids are most commonly found in Cities, correct? If you answer no, I will know that you are lying

I don't see how that would be a lie.

Well, If that is true, than I wish to know where Is the highest population on druids in any city [which city has the most druids]?

It's evident to me that you weren't following these threads the last time I ran around killing people, so let me lay it on the line for you:

The absolute worst questions to ask follow the format of "which place/race/culture/religion has the most/is the most/is the least/has the least," first because it forces me to craft an answer that probably doesn't exist yet, secondly because if it doesn't groove with things later on, then people will complain, and thirdly because the follow-up "why" makes me want to incinerate things.

Well, Since you obviously have a problem with answering specific places at this time, I would ask that you ammend all question seeking with a header saying: "PLEASE DO NOT ASK ABOUT SPECIFIC PLACES."

You're not asking about specific places. You're asking generic questions, in the hope that the answer will be a specific place so that you can then take that answer and try to squeeze all the juice out of it, which is not gonna happen.

I am sorry If I attempted to understand the way that other people felt about monks and other classes.

What you are forgetting is that, in the world itself, people don't have banners listing their class levels floating around above their heads. I could call myself a druid and be a ranger. I could call myself a cleric and be a druid. I could call myself a paladin and be a monk. Nobody knows.

*sigh* look, I really cant detect sarcasm over the internet, but this really sounds like a dodge. I do understand that you hate answering this question, but rangers and druids are my two favorite classes, and I want to know how you take your spin on them.

As I said, no other setting in history has answered the question "what is the most common animal companion" because it is a non-issue. It's like asking "what is the most common domain selected across all religions?"

Further, I don't understand the intent behind the question. Are you going to take my answer and run with it and declare that animal to be your animal companion?

There is no answer to this question; there never has been before, and I'm not about to start. It's probably even less possible in a setting this diverse to nail down one animal favored most by such a disparate group of people.

I could name an animal just to get you off my back, but it would be irrelevant because my answer won't be reflected in the setting, since I would be arbitrarily picking something for the purpose of shutting you up. Instead, I have tried to answer you honestly. If you really want me to roll the dice and post the name of some random animal to satisfy you, then I will, but there's no point.

I think that your first post on the matter really cleared things up for me, but again, I have to ask that you do not do this kind of thing and just tell me that you do not have the answer [and quite honestly, I wouldnt have had the answer to that either, so I do understand, and I am sorry If I asked a stupid question.]

No, this was me getting mad. You asked a question, I gave a legitimate answer and your follow-up was the dreaded "why?" followed by the simply inane "why wasn't it the other way?" and "well, are there any that aren't that way? and who are they?"

Why is my single least-favorite question. If I felt like telling you, I would do it at the time I answered the original question.

I really havent gotten a definite answer here, so I would love to know

There is no definite answer. In our own world, there are monks at monasteries, monks at temples, monks at large churches, monks at martial-arts dojos in downtown Manhattan. There are only 11 base classes to supply the world with its elites. All of them are diverse.

Look, I appreciate the attempt at humor, But see every above post I have on why this is not a good time to attempt to smash someones questions that are attempting to clear stuff up, and still be funny. If you dont like jokes, dont use them.

Look, I just want an answer that does actually compose of some information concerning the monks.

You told me not to tell you that it depends on location. Everything in this setting depends on location, culture or religion. There are no fixed generalities.

I am fine with answering questions, but not if you continue to ignore this fact in favor of trying to get blanket answers out of me in a setting that doesn't support them.

Ok, if you want to, that is fine. I am sorry if I was being incredulous at the amount of strange and all to cliched information I appear to be getting here.

Don't you mean lack of information?

I just really want to know about weapons in your setting as well. I think there are many interesting ways you could take them and I want to know more about the ways you guys are taking it. that is all.

You've already been told that we haven't gotten around to mundane weapons yet. Now you know that this extends to who makes them, as well.

I believe I asked if any countries or city states are more powerful militarily, and you said no. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

Is there a specific country/city/government/people that have the complete upper hand in military situations?

The answer to this question is, "no, there is no entity guaranteed to overwhelm any other entity in terms of military power." Which is what "complete upper hand" translates to.

I am sorry If I did irritate you, however, the fact that you have not shown that the city states and governments of Siraaj and/or Najmah are any more different than each other kind of feels like a let down.

Once again, your question was derived from the above, and was answered in the same fashion. You're drawing conclusions where none exist.

See above answer. I think it applies to this as well.

Really? You could drink because of ssadness, you could drink just to party, you can drink, because you are disappointed. I simply thought that if I was going to get a specific answer [which I thought I was going to get], I would ask why people in those places drank. You could have said the it depends on the person, and I would have been fine with that.

I'm pretty skeptical about that part in bold.

In no way was I attempting to be a "pain."

...except that you claimed to be out to piss me off shortly after posting your initial salvo of questions. If it was a joke, it backfired horribly.

I am sorry if my question was hard to read. What I was asking was "what form do druids think nature takes?"

I don't even know the answer to this question in Core.

I assure you sir, that I will no longer be asking that question. In fact, I will probably no longer be posting in this thread. not that I think that you or anyone else has been mean or badgering or anything, I just dont see the point anymore.

*sigh* the point, unosarta, is to ask simple, clear, concise questions about things that interest you, confuse you, concern you etc.

It is also to accept that there are some things that I will not answer, and there are some things that I cannot answer, and that I will treat these things the exact same way.

I'm pretty sure that if you started from scratch and simplified your questions, you'd probably see more actual answers out of me. And the key is not for me to put up a banner warning people away from certain topics, but rather for you to accept that there are some questions (most common animal companion, face of nature etc.) that don't have answers in this or most any other campaign setting.

There is broad potential to come in with interest and come out with your curiosity sated, but you need to work with me on what it is that you are looking for, and not merely accuse me of being disingenuous or elusive when I tell you, implicitly or forthrightly, that I want you to go down a different line of questioning.

Actually, this is a bad question any way. A better one is, Who decides what form the Aspect is worshiped in? the Worshipers?

Pretty much. Again, see any early culture. Ra probably didn't tell people "you will depict me as a bird-headed man." And since the Aspects don't actually exist, they don't show up to model for portraits.

I would ask why the worshipers chose only Pashati and Johoum to be worshiped in the form that they are worshiped in, but that probably wouldnt get an answer, so I am not asking it.

Well, Johoum because he's the sun god, so some believe him to actually be the physical sun. Pashati because she's considered to be present in lakes and rivers. So basically, the ones with direct jurisdiction over and correlation to a particular natural feature.

Well, I guess so. I will contend to never, ever, ever ask a question that has multifaceted angles and surfaces, and a question that will provoke deep thoughts and arguments, because then I will surely die [this isnt a crack at you, I am just fed up with the fact that apparently I can no longer joke about anything. This is the first time I have ever even conversed with you. How would I know what drives you crazy? and Its not like I would actually do that to a person for no reason at all. Although I do admit to sounding very much like a for those two posts.]

If you consider that Sunya has control over the nights Sky, I was wondering who has control over the day's sky. You know, clouds, winds, things like that. I assume if you want perfect symmetry that her counterpart must have control over the rest of the rest of the day's sky, or else the perfect symmetry is broken. Is that too much to assume?

Well, first of all, Sunya is a man.

Secondly, Sunya's counterpart is Akasha, but it's rather a leap to assume that she has jurisdiction over clouds and wind, since I'm fairly sure I've seen both of those things at night as well.

Oh, ok.

Look, what I was happy about is that you had the idea that there would be no god of war. that is an interesting concept and opens up a lot of areas for creativity.

There's no "god of war," but there are gods of conquest (Johoum), struggle (Limalia and Qirus) and conflict (Qirus). There are also racial deities that might cater to a barbarian, but exclusive of race he would not worship them.

What I can figure out from the Barbarian example, is that you must live in a certain place to worship said god of war or warriors. If this is wrong [which it likely is], then I can assume that you dont have to live in a certain place to worship that god of war.

As I said, you eliminated the regional deities and the racial deities. Moreover, it is a regional thing. If you live in a region where the primary worship is the god of peace, then there's not much latitude for you.

Ah, I see. I messed up, and I guess you didnt understand what I messed up on. What I meant was, If Race Didnt matter, and Location didnt matter, then who would he worship.

That's when alignment factors in again, but there are plenty of deities a barbarian might worship. There isn't one best "barbarian god."

I said "When do solars get to mate with non-divines if they are working for Zihaja?" you said and I quote in response "They do not." If there are Rogue solars, that is made of win, and Would have been nice to know earlier.

There are not, and they do not. Solars don't mate with non-divines.

Otherwise, my point stands that you have said that there are no Aasimar [tieflings maybe, but That didnt really come up.]

No, you merely picked an inappropriate race to make inquiries about. I repeat to you that solars don't mate with non-divines.

Well, I didnt mean "why werent they a player race", I meant If there are demons, and there are, and their are Solars, and there are, and their are humans and other strange humanoids, and there are, then why are there no Tieflings and Aasimar.

The most likely answer would have to do with the two separate planes thing.

But again: you asked only about solars. They aren't the only possible progenitors of aasimar, you know.

afroakuma
2009-06-28, 01:57 PM
Anyways, now that that's all cleared up, further questions? Did I bait anyone else into looking at the maps?

Thane of Fife
2009-06-28, 02:05 PM
Should I assume that my inquiry is one which you will not be answering?

If not, it's three posts up.

afroakuma
2009-06-28, 02:25 PM
Out of curiosity, Earth is covered with big stuff from ages past (Pyramids, Stonehenge, Easter Island, etc); are there equivalents on Siraaj?

Very few. Earth's past is much longer than Kamala's.

LordZarth
2009-06-28, 02:28 PM
Anyways, now that that's all cleared up, further questions? Did I bait anyone else into looking at the maps?

I looked! Yay!

afroakuma
2009-06-28, 02:28 PM
Victory! Now you can't ask questions about them! :smallbiggrin:

Zeta Kai
2009-06-28, 02:31 PM
I looked! Yay!

Now that you've looked, you can't unlook. :smallbiggrin: I hope that you like what you see. Ask questions all you like; Afro's frustration amuses me.

Mercenary Pen
2009-06-28, 02:41 PM
The moment I saw the pseudo-legalese, I had a semi-willing minion look for me and save the maps on my computer

Is that sufficient loophole for you AA?

afroakuma
2009-06-28, 02:45 PM
I hope that you like what you see. Ask questions all you like; Afro's frustration amuses me.

:smallannoyed: Although it might be interesting to see what's on the audience's mind...

Merc: Clever. Why don't you try a few, see how well that pans out? Answer: not very.

vegetalss4
2009-06-28, 02:58 PM
is the places at the left of the Najmah map named Agni and Upala or have some of their names been cut of? if so what are their full names?

oh and by the way, nice mab Zeta

afroakuma
2009-06-28, 03:18 PM
I assume you mean the right. And no, those are their full names.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-29, 05:12 AM
oh and by the way, nice mab Zeta

Thank you very much. I try & make good mabs. I've got nice mabbing software, which helbs quite a pit. :smallwink:

You'll note that the naming scheme for Siraaj is strongly Arabic-influenced, where as Najmah has a more Sanskrit flavor.

LordZarth
2009-06-29, 09:45 AM
nice mab Zeta

Wait, what keyboard layout even makes this possible?

SwordGoddess
2009-06-29, 10:50 AM
Gorgeous maps, I gotta say. I've been watching this for a while, but just had to de-lurk and finally comment...after reading all the threads (I have no life).

I'm curious--what program do you use for those maps, Zeta?

Zeta Kai
2009-06-29, 11:42 AM
Gorgeous maps, I gotta say. I've been watching this for a while, but just had to de-lurk and finally comment...after reading all the threads (I have no life).

I'm curious--what program do you use for those maps, Zeta?

Glad to have you aboard, SG. I use Photoshop CS3 & Illustrator CS3. I got my mapping skills from googling planet-making tutorials, but I've refined my techniques from trolling the Cartographer's Guild, which is the best online resource for aspiring mapmakers.

Juhn
2009-06-29, 12:00 PM
You'll note that the naming scheme for Siraaj is strongly Arabic-influenced, where as Najmah has a more Sanskrit flavor.

Methinks you give me too much credit. Unless that was not a general "you".

SwordGoddess
2009-06-29, 06:58 PM
Glad to have you aboard, SG. I use Photoshop CS3 & Illustrator CS3. I got my mapping skills from googling planet-making tutorials, but I've refined my techniques from trolling the Cartographer's Guild, which is the best online resource for aspiring mapmakers.

Oooo...very nice! Something was telling me that there was a bit of Cartographer in there, but I wasn't sure. :smallbiggrin:

And thanks for the welcome! I've been poking around the forums and found that I really like it here. :smallsmile:

afroakuma
2009-06-29, 10:49 PM
Yes, we're lots of fun. Especially me. I make fireworks.

Juhn
2009-06-29, 11:12 PM
Another side-effect of the POWER?

Incidentally, I'm now trying to track down where exactly you first uttered that catchphrase. It seems to have been at some point between VUAV III and VIAV IV.

afroakuma
2009-06-29, 11:25 PM
Well, according to yourself if was before December.

I suppose there is something to be said of the fact that you once had "you doubt my power?" as a catchphrase.

Juhn
2009-06-29, 11:38 PM
Well, you used it in VUAV IV, which was November, though the underline was blue and it was not in allcaps. I'm just not sure whether that was a formatting error or whether it was so new at the time that there was not yet a format established as correct.

afroakuma
2009-06-29, 11:54 PM
Meh. That sounds like the one.

afroakuma
2009-06-30, 08:09 PM
Here's an interesting question: what do you audience members think the public should have been allowed to vote on that we did not include?

Alteran
2009-06-30, 10:38 PM
Here's an interesting question: what do you audience members think the public should have been allowed to vote on that we did not include?

I can't think of anything essential that was ignored. Really, I think it would be worse if we had more input than if we had less input. I don't want us to give you strict parameters to work within, I'd prefer for us to give you general guidelines. You've already proven that you can make a fantastic setting with what we gave you, I think that restricting you to fewer options probably wouldn't have resulted in a better product.

Of course, it isn't done yet, but I think it's safe to say that what you've all done already qualifies as a "fantastic setting". I doubt it will go downhill from what we've seen.

afroakuma
2009-06-30, 10:54 PM
I can't think of anything essential that was ignored. Really, I think it would be worse if we had more input than if we had less input.

Amen. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, it isn't done yet, but I think it's safe to say that what you've all done already qualifies as a "fantastic setting". I doubt it will go downhill from what we've seen.

For that, you get a preview. Zeta's gonna be jealous!

Waharim allows worshipers of any nonchaotic alignment. Most of his clergy are morally neutral. Waharim supports monks but does not support paladins.

Churches Waharim has one formal church and one looser faith:

Jabal is the organized following of Waharim's dogma, and the name of the religion according to its practitioners. Jabal initiates believe in the need for both intrinsic learning (the acquisition of new information) and conjectural learning (leaving oneself time to analyze and develop from that information). As such, their practices involve study, archiving and long meditation. More important rites include thesis, the presentation of conjecture built from study and meditation, and transcendence, in which they attempt to reenact their lord's first steps on his path to ultimate wisdom. Jabal considers the bar-headed goose (Hamsa) a sacred animal and the rhododendron a sacred plant. Their clerics often choose the Contemplation and Knowledge domains.

Ruwaid, sometimes called Ruwaid al'Jabal, is a looser spiritual tradition that has grown from the faith of Waharim. Focusing more on lifestyle and direct understanding, Ruwaid emphasizes meditative harmony and draws symbols from the wind and sky. Ruwaid practitioners teach others individually or in small groups, and devote time and attention to yoga-like movements and harmonious separation from the base needs of the world by means of personal relaxation. Sometimes confused with Jabal, Ruwaid has a very distant relationship with its parent faith and does not even normally mention Waharim's name. Ruwaid considers the bamboo a sacred plant. Their clerics often choose the Air and Contemplation domains.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-30, 10:56 PM

I've been waiting months for a write up on Waharim. :smallmad: Feel special, Alteran.

Alteran
2009-06-30, 11:06 PM

Waharim allows worshipers of any nonchaotic alignment. Most of his clergy are morally neutral. Waharim supports monks but does not support paladins.

Churches Waharim has one formal church and one looser faith:

Jabal is the organized following of Waharim's dogma, and the name of the religion according to its practitioners. Jabal initiates believe in the need for both intrinsic learning (the acquisition of new information) and conjectural learning (leaving oneself time to analyze and develop from that information). As such, their practices involve study, archiving and long meditation. More important rites include thesis, the presentation of conjecture built from study and meditation, and transcendence, in which they attempt to reenact their lord's first steps on his path to ultimate wisdom. Jabal considers the bar-headed goose (Hamsa) a sacred animal and the rhododendron a sacred plant. Their clerics often choose the Contemplation and Knowledge domains.

Ruwaid, sometimes called Ruwaid al'Jabal, is a looser spiritual tradition that has grown from the faith of Waharim. Focusing more on lifestyle and direct understanding, Ruwaid emphasizes meditative harmony and draws symbols from the wind and sky. Ruwaid practitioners teach others individually or in small groups, and devote time and attention to yoga-like movements and harmonious separation from the base needs of the world by means of personal relaxation. Sometimes confused with Jabal, Ruwaid has a very distant relationship with its parent faith and does not even normally mention Waharim's name. Ruwaid considers the bamboo a sacred plant. Their clerics often choose the Air and Contemplation domains.

Hooray!

Waharim is the LN one, isn't he? It would make sense. I don't have any questions, but that was a good writeup. I enjoyed reading it.

I've been waiting months for a write up on Waharim. :smallmad: Feel special, Alteran.

:smallbiggrin:

If you've been waiting so long, you should be happy!

afroakuma
2009-06-30, 11:12 PM

Oh, don't be such a stick bug in the mud. :smallamused: You got what you wanted.

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-01, 12:02 AM
Oh, don't be such a stick bug in the mud. :smallamused: You got what you wanted.

Its not done, though, as far as I can see, if you're aiming to have Waharim done in the same detail as the other Aspects. But its a good start :smallbiggrin:.

afroakuma
2009-07-01, 12:05 AM
Actually, I cranked the detail on all of them. To like 11 or something.

I sent you the finalized Waharim as well, Shadow. Take a look!

Juhn
2009-07-01, 12:07 AM
He probably decided to give the most player-relevant parts, considering it was a spoiler for Alteran and not the rest of the Build Team.

Edit: Ninja'd by the man himself, it looks like.

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-01, 12:25 AM
Actually, I cranked the detail on all of them. To like 11 or something.

I sent you the finalized Waharim as well, Shadow. Take a look!
Figured I'd comment here, to taunt/confuse/entice the audience
Fan-friggin'-tastic, afro. I applaud you. Waharim is my new favourite Aspect. Absolutely awesome job.

Alteran
2009-07-01, 12:36 AM
Figured I'd comment here, to taunt/confuse/entice the audience

Truly, all members of the build team are villains and scoundrels of the highest order.

Except for Zeta. He's pretty cool.

Athaniar
2009-07-01, 03:53 AM

I said it back then and I'm saying it again:

Humans.

lesser_minion
2009-07-01, 04:20 AM
Well, since I've been authorized to release both, here we go!

If you click on either spoiler box, you sign a contract that releases me from any particularly irritating questions regarding the demographics, climate, economy, religion or culture of any area on either map, no matter how intrigued you are.

I can think of at least two workarounds allowing the maps to be viewed without clicking on the spoiler box and thus bypassing your terms and conditions.

First, you can just view source, grab the image URL and type it directly into your browser

Second, you can quote the post, grab the image URL and type it directly into your browser

Third, you can quote the post, grab the image URLs and post them as links without attendent legalese

Fourth, you can go through your web browser cache and find the pictures there, because your browser downloads content under spoiler tags before you actually open the spoiler tags.

Luckily, I can't think of any irritating questions at this juncture.

afroakuma
2009-07-01, 07:43 AM
If you view either image linked herein via any means, you sign a contract that releases me from any particularly irritating questions regarding the demographics, climate, economy, religion or culture of any area on either map, no matter how intrigued you are.

Siraaj

Najmah
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZNajmah4.jpg

Fixed it for you.

Xavius: what? We did have a human poll. :smallconfused:

lesser_minion
2009-07-01, 07:56 AM
Fixed it for you.

Well, that makes things a little harder. You could have just said "I will not answer irritating questions about X, Y and Z" rather than trying to contractually oblige people to do so.

Of course, what I should have done was added a clause compelling you to answer all questions in exchange for reading the helpful technical pointers.

afroakuma
2009-07-01, 08:00 AM
Well, that makes things a little harder. You could have just said "I will not answer irritating questions about X, Y and Z" rather than trying to contractually oblige people to do so.

I could have, but it's not true.

Of course, what I should have done was added a clause compelling you to answer all questions in exchange for reading the helpful technical pointers.

Yes, because I'm clearly not chaotic neutral. :smalltongue: Evil...

lesser_minion
2009-07-01, 08:03 AM
If we're pulling out the Chaos doesn't care about contracts thing here:

Who said I had a lawful alignment?

Aren't you Lawful Evil in any event?

Zeta Kai
2009-07-01, 08:10 AM
Aren't you Lawful Evil in any event?

POWER has no alignment. Arrogance, however... ;P

SwordGoddess
2009-07-01, 08:12 AM
Oh, a god write-up! I confess, during all my readings of the threads, several things wound up intruiging me more than others--the Aspects, certainly, and to a lesser extent the gnolls.

For those who haven't seen the maps--I really encourage you to do so. You're missing out on some quality work there--not to mention the look of the setting itself!

afroakuma
2009-07-01, 08:32 AM
POWER has no alignment. Arrogance, however... ;P

There is no scalp under afroakuma's afro. There is only another POWER.

Elminster's alignment is chaotic good. POWER's alignment is afroakuma. :smallamused:

:smallbiggrin: I do hope that arrogance is occasionally justified...

Sereg
2009-07-01, 09:07 AM
:smallbiggrin: I do hope that arrogance is occasionally justified...

That it is.

Incidently SwordGoddess, I'd love to do as you asked but for some reason my university's service provider never lets me look at any of Zeta's maps that are posted here.

:smallfrown: Pity me!

SwordGoddess
2009-07-01, 11:18 AM
Oh no! I wonder why it doesn't display them?

Zeta Kai
2009-07-01, 11:20 AM
Incidently SwordGoddess, I'd love to do as you asked but for some reason my university's service provider never lets me look at any of Zeta's maps that are posted here.

:smallfrown: Pity me!

Well, if that's the case, then you have two options:

Wait for the inevitable PDF, & download the whole thing, maps & all. Or...
PM me your email address, & I'll send you a copy of the two maps.

Take your pick.

Alteran
2009-07-01, 01:17 PM

I think he wanted the option of having no humans.

Personally, I think that humans (or some variation of them) should exist in any setting. In 4e (and I think 3.X) they serve as a race that can do well in any class. This is particularly useful when you have classes that can use many different combinations of ability scores, and a limited number of races. If there were no humans, I think we would need a similarly adaptable race to take their place.

afroakuma
2009-07-01, 02:48 PM
I think he wanted the option of having no humans.

We played that game once before. I think I offered up the "Snamuh" as replacements.

Juhn
2009-07-01, 03:16 PM
I still prefer snamuh for having a phonetically-superior name.

afroakuma
2009-07-01, 03:23 PM
What, no comments on my unveiling of such detail about the mysterious Waharim?

Athaniar
2009-07-01, 03:35 PM
Yeah, Waharim is cool.

Concerning humans, I have one problem: they are almost always depicted as being everywhere and doing everything, while the other races are made to fit specific niches. Also, humans are, as said, the stat-wise general race, the Mario of races. I'm not too fond of those. Two problems: they fill every niche, they are very bland, and I don't want to play my own race. Three problems:

OK, I'll stop there.

That being said, I'm not terribly upset there are humans in this setting. They can stay if they want to.

Alteran
2009-07-01, 03:58 PM
Concerning humans, I have one problem: they are almost always depicted as being everywhere and doing everything, while the other races are made to fit specific niches. Also, humans are, as said, the stat-wise general race, the Mario of races. I'm not too fond of those.

Like I said, this is generally desirable from a mechanical point of view. That way no class can have no race that works with it, and almost every class will have at least two races that can work. It's good to know that a player will always have good choices. While Humans may not always be the ideal race, they're always a good race.

Also, as long as we're including Humans I don't know what else they can be. Realistically, races are much more diverse than they tend to be in D&D if we use Humans as a baseline. It's not easy to pin them down and give them specific attributes like we do with other races. However, when you tell somebody that all (or at least, most) Elves are like this they can accept it. Elves don't exist, so anything reasonable can be accepted. But Humans? Humans exist. If you try to tell people that they tend to be [SPECIFIC ATTRIBUTE], then you're going to get a lot of disagreement. It makes sense that they'll be the most diverse and mechanically adaptable race, because otherwise they wouldn't correspond well to real Humans.

Athaniar
2009-07-01, 04:54 PM
It makes sense that they'll be the most diverse and mechanically adaptable race, because otherwise they wouldn't correspond well to real Humans.

And that is my problem. Real life humans are diverse, so if humans are in a fantasy setting, they have to be diverse. My solution is to not have real life humans in a fantasy setting at all.

afroakuma
2009-07-01, 05:14 PM
And that is my problem. Real life humans are diverse, so if humans are in a fantasy setting, they have to be diverse.

I don't follow why this is a problem...

My solution is to not have real life humans in a fantasy setting at all.

And our solution was that all races are diverse. Your point?

Athaniar
2009-07-02, 05:41 AM
And our solution was that all races are diverse. Your point?

Your solution is the second-best one. I'm content with it. I just felt like ranting.

afroakuma
2009-07-02, 08:16 AM
Your solution is the second-best one. I'm content with it. I just felt like ranting.

You'll pardon me if I don't share your opinion; I simply fail to see how introducing greater diversity and a more organic feel to the setting is the second-best option.

paddyfool
2009-07-02, 09:29 AM
On the maps:

I'm very pleasantly surprised to see Bangah Jungle on one of those maps. The DMing potential of giving a group of characters optimised for a desert campaign a potentially lucrative quest option which would see their characters go on a monster hunt in the jungle makes me go all warm and fuzzy. :smallbiggrin: Are there any particularly novel and scary monsters known to inhabit said environment?

afroakuma
2009-07-02, 10:02 AM
There are indeed.

Athaniar
2009-07-02, 10:10 AM
You'll pardon me if I don't share your opinion; I simply fail to see how introducing greater diversity and a more organic feel to the setting is the second-best option.

I was talking simply about the presence of humans, diversity is always good. But enough with that now.

afroakuma
2009-07-02, 10:16 AM
So is there anything else the viewing public feels they should have been granted a vote on?

paddyfool
2009-07-02, 10:36 AM
So is there anything else the viewing public feels they should have been granted a vote on?

Speaking for myself: No, I think the number of votes and matters up for voting on were very appropriate.

Waspinator
2009-07-02, 11:02 AM
Well, we could have a vote on whether or not we need to do more voting.

afroakuma
2009-07-02, 09:31 PM
Meta again? I think not. :smalltongue:

Juhn
2009-07-02, 10:31 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure. I mean, I wasn't aware of what we were voting on until we got to each stage as it was.

Thane of Fife
2009-07-02, 10:42 PM
How about a "How much should we annoy Afroakuma?" vote?

{table=head]Category|Votes
Lots|0
Quite a Bit|0
Significantly|0
Until he pulls out his afro in frustration|0
[/table]

Juhn
2009-07-02, 10:53 PM
...I'm not sure whether afro could remove his afro. That much uncontrolled POWER could kill us all.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-02, 10:59 PM
{table=head]Category|Votes
Lots|0
Quite a Bit|0
Significantly|0
YOUR HEAD CUT OFF|0
[/table]

Fixed it for you. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-07-02, 11:02 PM
Fixed it for you. :smalltongue:

Ahh.... accuracy. :smallamused:

Zeta Kai
2009-07-03, 11:09 PM
Any questions about the map? Any other part of the setting?

Juhn
2009-07-04, 12:00 AM
No, actually. Part of why I've been so silent lately.

The other part may be due to it being my birthday.

Probably not though, given that it's only been so for an hour now.

Alteran
2009-07-04, 12:37 AM
Happy Birthday, Juhn! I'll bet you could dig for a spoiler. :smalltongue:

And, uh, I hope you had have a great day! That too.

LordZarth
2009-07-04, 12:40 AM
No, actually. Part of why I've been so silent lately.

The other part may be due to it being my birthday.

Probably not though, given that it's only been so for an hour now.

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!

Obligatory comic: http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.gif

Juhn
2009-07-04, 01:06 AM
Apparently I was appropriately shameless. I managed to get both happy birthdays and a "You're that much closer to death".

And considering it's my birthday, is there any chance I could get that long-awaited Sidaru lorepost?

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-04, 12:48 PM
We should have voted on the maximum available punishment that could be unleashed by irate build-team members... I myself would have capped this at slapping around the face with saltwater fish (although flogging with sledgehammers also has a certain appeal)

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-04, 07:04 PM
We should have voted on the maximum available punishment that could be unleashed by irate build-team members... [/color=white]I myself would have capped this at slapping around the face with saltwater fish (although flogging with sledgehammers also has a certain appeal)[/color]

Uh, your colour tags broke :smalltongue:.

afroakuma
2009-07-04, 07:59 PM
is there any chance I could get that long-awaited Sidaru lorepost?

:smallsigh: Let me see if it's in the cards.

afroakuma
2009-07-04, 09:50 PM
Light in the Long Bleak Darkness

From Akasha's pillows, to the missals of the Darshan, to the whispers in the coils of Zaia did dark Sunya derive the names of all the hafaza. These he sold to the veiled lords, who conjured the hafaza and hunted them for food and sport.

In the wake of the dark god's treason, the dead found themselves lost and adrift, turning on their loved ones in rage and confusion. The babes of the devas were born quiet; the young of the genies come dull; the spawn of the devils born still.

As Siraaj and Najmah quaked, and the balance fought to rest them, the great white sphinx came forth from the starlit realm, leaving the temple of three doors, leaving his three offices, to come forth and call the dead. For seventy days and seventy nights did the great sphinx roam the world, leading a parade of lost souls from all corners, from every island, from every mountain. Where water blocked his path, a bridge of freezing glass formed, perilous to the touch of any but he and the dead.

Onwards he led them, and where he passed he left tablets of black marble on which to inscribe the names of those who would pass in his wake, that he might return later to collect them.

Though his offices shook in his wake, and though dark times followed from his samaritan dereliction, the great sphinx, called Sidaru, brought a train of the dead across the waters and across the mountains, across the deserts to the lost gates of Fate.

It is said that in his footsteps remain many peoples who keep the divine herald's faith, scribing the names of the deceased into record should the time come for them to be led from the darkness once again.

Juhn
2009-07-04, 11:01 PM
So, Sidaru also looks like a white sphinx? Interesting.

Also yay lorepost.

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-04, 11:08 PM
Uh, your colour tags broke :smalltongue:.

They've now been repaired. Serves me right for not bothering to check stuff over before hitting the submit button.

Hyozo
2009-07-04, 11:16 PM

Also yay lorepost.

I thought we've known that for a while.

afroakuma
2009-07-04, 11:41 PM

I think I see where this is going, so I'm going to head it off right now:

No, Sidaru does not look like a white sphinx. Sih Daroga is a white sphinx.

You'll note also that this lore comes from a region where Sidaru is not worshiped.

Also yay lorepost.

Was it what you were hoping for?

Juhn
2009-07-05, 12:03 AM
Sih Daroga is a white sphinx.I'm aware of this part. This part was the part that confused me:

the great white sphinx came forth from the starlit realm ... the great sphinx, called Sidaru

Specifically, calling the sphinx Sidaru rather than Sih Daroga. I knew Sih Daroga was a sphinx, but this came off like stating that Sidaru is a white sphinx just like the actual Sih Daroga is.

You'll note also that this lore comes from a region where Sidaru is not worshiped.Oh? Where's it from? They seem to be quite respecful of him.

Was it what you were hoping for?

I'm sorry, did you interpret that as disappointment? It was not.

afroakuma
2009-07-05, 12:10 AM
I'm aware of this part. This part was the part that confused me:

Specifically, calling the sphinx Sidaru rather than Sih Daroga. I knew Sih Daroga was a sphinx, but this came off like stating that Sidaru is a white sphinx just like the actual Sih Daroga is.

Stylistic device. The teller wouldn't know the sphinx's real name.

Oh? Where's it from? They seem to be quite respecful of him.

Meh. Somewhere else. Somewhere where they remember the tale as a historic myth. And considering that he singlehandedly removed a good 80% or so of the world's undead, at great risk to himself, and wandered the whole world to do it... I'd say he earned a bit of respect.

Granted, I left out what was going on in Najmah at the same time, and also ignored the opposition he faced on his trip...

I'm sorry, did you interpret that as disappointment? It was not.

*shrug* I don't know. I personally didn't feel it was up to snuff. And I figured it wouldn't be much help in the whole "pick a religion" thing.

LordZarth
2009-07-05, 12:43 AM
I have a clarification question. So far, the impression about class balance I have been getting is that the wizard is unchanged (except for some ubercheese cuts), the higher-power classes have had their power ramped up overall to bring them up to wizard power level, and that the others have had significant power increases to balance them.

Is this correct? If so, will some non-PHB classes be low-powered compared? Such as the Factotum? Also, how will prestige classes in the DMG and elsewhere compare to the supported prestige classes of the Kamala?

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-05, 03:33 AM
And considering that he singlehandedly removed a good 80% or so of the world's undead, at great risk to himself, and wandered the whole world to do it... I'd say he earned a bit of respect.

Does this mean there are specific forms of undead that ceased to exist since Sih Daroga's little crusade (for want of a better word)- or should I stop trying to infer anything for the sake of my continued wellbeing?

afroakuma
2009-07-05, 09:47 AM
I have a clarification question. So far, the impression about class balance I have been getting is that the wizard is unchanged (except for some ubercheese cuts), the higher-power classes have had their power ramped up overall to bring them up to wizard power level, and that the others have had significant power increases to balance them.

Is this correct? If so, will some non-PHB classes be low-powered compared? Such as the Factotum? Also, how will prestige classes in the DMG and elsewhere compare to the supported prestige classes of the Kamala?

Non-PHB classes have generally tended towards the more balanced end of things, so I don't think they'll become suddenly weaker. DMG PrCs, for the most part, are usually inferior to PrCs in other sourcebooks, so I'd say our PrCs are geared towards the better end.

Does this mean there are specific forms of undead that ceased to exist since Sih Daroga's little crusade (for want of a better word)- or should I stop trying to infer anything for the sake of my continued wellbeing?

That inference would be incorrect - though this event certainly does explain where all those undead came from in the first place.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-06, 06:25 PM
You mentioned earlier that tunneling out would be an immense feat of arcane puissance. Am I correct in assuming that such an act is impossible via. divine magic?

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 07:38 PM
You mentioned earlier that tunneling out would be an immense feat of arcane puissance. Am I correct in assuming that such an act is impossible via. divine magic?

You are correct, sir!

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-06, 07:40 PM
Alrighty then. So, to what extent does the Big Z control the flow of divine magic? Do others share that control, or are there certain elements that are uncontrollable/purposefully left uncontrolled?

Do any nations identify themselves with animals (example: the United States identifies itself with the Bald Eagle)?

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 07:52 PM
Alrighty then.

Funny how the lighting suddenly went ominous.

So, to what extent does the Big Z control the flow of divine magic?

How do you mean?

Do any nations identify themselves with animals (example: the United States identifies itself with the Bald Eagle)?

I am not able to answer that at this time. Presumably yes.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-06, 07:53 PM
Well, I assumed that divine magic can't provide one's egress from Kamala because the Big Z hits the "off" button on your magic; does he control all divine magic that way, or just some of it?

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 08:00 PM
Well, I assumed that divine magic can't provide one's egress from Kamala because the Big Z hits the "off" button on your magic; does he control all divine magic that way, or just some of it?

I'm gonna short-circuit this question by pointing out that Zihaja doesn't technically have any control over arcane magic, or at least not any more than he has control over free will. Trying to go through his Divine brand cosmic snail shell with divine magic doesn't even so much as send him a memo - he ordered the auto-No from the factory, and way back when, that was all well and good.

If you're asking "will Zihaja say no to a resurrection," then the answer is no. It's not exactly an involved process. He could technically put the kibosh on dancing lights if he so chose, but then he'd have to be actively stopping said spell, and I'm sure we can agree that he has better things to worry about.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-06, 08:03 PM
Thank'ee for your indulgence ^_^

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 08:04 PM
Further inquiries? I am presently something of a captive audience. Or speaker, as the case may be.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-06, 08:11 PM
What regions/cities tend to be the most racially tolerant? The most close-minded? If I wanted to purchase the services of a cleric, what churches would be most accommodating? What city has the most thriving underworld? How common are legends of immortality (real life example: the Fountain of Youth) and are any of them accurate?

afroakuma
2009-07-06, 08:31 PM
What regions/cities tend to be the most racially tolerant?

At this time, questions about regions or cities are particularly bad.

I can specify, though, that more agrarian areas tend to be most tolerant, as do most areas along major trade corridors.

The most close-minded?

Ostaz and Mamluk.

If I wanted to purchase the services of a cleric, what churches would be most accommodating?

It depends on what services. Devotees of Pashati do not turn away any who desire healing. Anointment of weaponry and armor is provided commonly by major churches of Qirus. However, only a few sects of Sidaru will offer to speak with dead on your behalf. The Khaziima, the main church of Limalia, will scorn those who desire healing. You may receive it, but you will be treated as an embarrassment and marked as shamed.

What city has the most thriving underworld?

Couldn't say at this time.

How common are legends of immortality (real life example: the Fountain of Youth) and are any of them accurate?

Relatively uncommon, though at least one of them is absolutely accurate.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-07, 05:51 AM
The "lost gates of Fate" mentioned in the Sidaru lore post would be the Pit of Fate, yes?

Could you tell us a few more customs/rites/habits that followers of the various major dieties are expected to observe. Like how Ruwaid al'Jabal practitioners do yoga*

Similarly, could you expand on this:

It depends on what services. Devotees of Pashati do not turn away any who desire healing. Anointment of weaponry and armor is provided commonly by major churches of Qirus. However, only a few sects of Sidaru will offer to speak with dead on your behalf. The Khaziima, the main church of Limalia, will scorn those who desire healing. You may receive it, but you will be treated as an embarrassment and marked as shamed.

And describe other common services that are offered at temples of other gods?

Lastly, are there any more races native to Siraaj that you haven´t mentioned yet? If so, can you tell us about them?

*not really yoga

afroakuma
2009-07-07, 08:28 AM
The "lost gates of Fate" mentioned in the Sidaru lore post would be the Pit of Fate, yes?

Probably.

Could you tell us a few more customs/rites/habits that followers of the various major dieties are expected to observe. Like how Ruwaid al'Jabal practitioners do yoga*

Well I'm certainly not going to go through all of them for you. Pick one.

Similarly, could you expand on this:

And describe other common services that are offered at temples of other gods?

See above answer.

Lastly, are there any more races native to Siraaj that you haven´t mentioned yet? If so, can you tell us about them?

That entirely depends on what counts as a race. If you listen to Zeta, the list gets slightly bigger and then I hit him in the head with the Quashhammer. If you listen to Shadow, the list gets far larger and then I try to hit him in the head with the Quashhammer and miss because there's no rules for the Quashhammer in 4E. Yet.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-07, 11:43 AM
Probably.

Aww.

Fair enough boss. Qirus.

See above answer.

Sidaru Johoum for this.

afroakuma
2009-07-07, 12:22 PM
Fair enough boss. Qirus.

Ah. In that case, the answer becomes "no, I cannot."

Sidaru Johoum for this.

:smallsigh: See above. How did you manage to do that?

LordZarth
2009-07-07, 01:36 PM

See above answer.[quote]

Daq (and Maqur). No, I can't count?

[quote]there's no rules

There are no rules. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Also, will there be a pronunciation guide included with the PDF?

afroakuma
2009-07-07, 03:25 PM
Daq (and Maqur). No, I can't count?

Well, you can't get an answer until you can count.

EDIT: Also, will there be a pronunciation guide included with the PDF?

Yup.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-07, 03:29 PM
Ah. In that case, the answer becomes "no, I cannot."

:smallsigh: See above. How did you manage to do that?

I dunno. Bad luck?

Maqur for rites/customs and... whatever god has been least discussed for services.

SwordGoddess
2009-07-07, 04:54 PM
Ohhh, glad to hear about the pronunciation guide--I can recall quite a few occasions when I wasn't quite sure how you said such-and-such name (I guessed).

Zeta Kai
2009-07-07, 05:43 PM
Also, will there be a pronunciation guide included with the PDF?

Ohhh, glad to hear about the pronunciation guide--I can recall quite a few occasions when I wasn't quite sure how you said such-and-such name (I guessed).

See, Afro. I told you it was a good idea to include a pronunciation guide. :smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2009-07-07, 07:20 PM
Maqur for rites/customs and... whatever god has been least discussed for services.

The most prevalent custom among Maqur's faithful translates roughly to English as "screwing each other over" or "treacherous backstabbing." This is a social custom that involves causing detrimental events in the lives of one's fellow faithful in the hopes of either advancing one's own position or just enjoying some good old schadenfreude.

Rites? Well, they have a fun one involving feeding one another the cursed flames of Maqur (secretly, or else it's just not as enjoyable) and watching the entertaining social and pyrotechnic fallout that often results. Other rites include the Rite of I Slept With Your Wife, the Rite of I Slept With Your Husband, the Rite of I Slept With Your Wife And Your Mistress, the Rite of I Slept With Your Wife And Your Husband And Your Mistress...

Also prevalent are the Rite of I Blackmailed You, the Rite of I Stabbed You, the Rite of I Took Your Stuff And Then Burned Your House To The Ground and my personal favorite, the Rite of Experimenting With The Interactions Of This Here Fire And That There Object (Which May Or May Not Be Your Face).

So yeah. Gods, I love Maqur.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-07, 07:22 PM
What rites and customs are common among the Zaian faithful? Are there certain rites performed only by clerics? Paladins? Lay members?

afroakuma
2009-07-07, 08:30 PM
What rites and customs are common among the Zaian faithful? Are there certain rites performed only by clerics? Paladins? Lay members?

I am unable to answer at this time.

LordZarth
2009-07-07, 11:48 PM
<snip>

This. Is the best. Post. I have ever seen.

[/quote]Rite of Experimenting With The Interactions Of This Here Fire And That There Object (Which May Or May Not Be Your Face)[/QUOTE]

*goggles* You, sir, win. (Again.) This is the most hilarious wording on the most hilarious thing I have ever seen.

afroakuma
2009-07-07, 11:50 PM
This. Is the best. Post. I have ever seen.

Well I'm glad my answer was both educational and entertaining.

Juhn
2009-07-07, 11:52 PM
Yes, that one got a good laugh out of me.

You do have a way with entertaining threats, afroakuma.

afroakuma
2009-07-07, 11:55 PM
Maqur's faith amuses me to no end. It more often than not boils down to a bunch of rich kids savaging each others' lives, with occasional spurts of arson, murder, and spontaneous human combustion. All in the name of entertainment and ambition.

Alteran
2009-07-08, 12:12 AM
Maqur's faith amuses me to no end. It more often than not boils down to a bunch of rich kids savaging each others' lives, with occasional spurts of arson, murder, and spontaneous human combustion. All in the name of entertainment and ambition.

So it's a lot like High School?

Juhn
2009-07-08, 12:15 AM
She reminds me of Hiddukel, except a lot less boring.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-08, 03:47 AM
The most prevalent custom among Maqur's faithful translates roughly to English as "screwing each other over" or "treacherous backstabbing." This is a social custom that involves causing detrimental events in the lives of one's fellow faithful in the hopes of either advancing one's own position or just enjoying some good old schadenfreude.

Rites? Well, they have a fun one involving feeding one another the cursed flames of Maqur (secretly, or else it's just not as enjoyable) and watching the entertaining social and pyrotechnic fallout that often results. Other rites include the Rite of I Slept With Your Wife, the Rite of I Slept With Your Husband, the Rite of I Slept With Your Wife And Your Mistress, the Rite of I Slept With Your Wife And Your Husband And Your Mistress...

Also prevalent are the Rite of I Blackmailed You, the Rite of I Stabbed You, the Rite of I Took Your Stuff And Then Burned Your House To The Ground and my personal favorite, the Rite of Experimenting With The Interactions Of This Here Fire And That There Object (Which May Or May Not Be Your Face).

So yeah. Gods, I love Maqur.

Bahahaha! :smallbiggrin:

Nice, very nice.

afroakuma
2009-07-08, 07:52 AM
So it's a lot like High School?

...if there was a lot of premeditated spontaneous human combustion at your school, then I suppose so... :smallconfused:

Zeta Kai
2009-07-08, 11:35 AM
...if there was a lot of premeditated spontaneous human combustion at your school, then I suppose so... :smallconfused:

Arson seemed to be a popular hobby/prank/attention-getting tool among my classmates, for some reason. Especially senior year. Good times.

Alteran
2009-07-08, 01:03 PM

How does that work?

afroakuma
2009-07-08, 01:35 PM
How does that work?

Well, you don't know when it's gonna strike. You just planned for the eventuality.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-08, 02:23 PM
You forgot the most sacred and holy Rite of I Slept With Your Daughter Afterward.

afroakuma
2009-07-08, 03:06 PM
Well, it might have been son. Or both. Really, just watch Rome and add a lot of arson to the manipulations.

Still, how did I forget that one? :smallsigh:

Zeta Kai
2009-07-08, 03:51 PM
Well, it might have been son. Or both. Really, just watch Rome and add a lot of arson to the manipulations.

Still, how did I forget that one? :smallsigh:

Oh, good. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who watched & liked Rome.

afroakuma
2009-07-08, 03:58 PM
Oh, good. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who watched & liked Rome.

Sorry, you are. It offended my sensibilities. I just know what was schemed.

Wikipedia is a hell of a site. :smallsmile:

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-08, 04:29 PM
Rites? Well, they have a fun one involving feeding one another the cursed flames of Maqur (secretly, or else it's just not as enjoyable) and watching the entertaining social and pyrotechnic fallout that often results.

Waitaminute. Does this mean that HoZ has a poison that [I]sets you on fire?/I]

afroakuma
2009-07-08, 05:13 PM
Waitaminute. Does this mean that HoZ has a poison that [I]sets you on fire?/I]

Ah, just occasionally. From time to time. Not even a poison, really... just ritually cremated material whose ashes are imbued with the cursed flames of Maqur.

SwordGoddess
2009-07-08, 06:33 PM
Although...a poison that set you on fire would be awesome (and also a very, very bad day).

Zeta Kai
2009-07-08, 08:00 PM
Alright kids, it's time for another leak! I'm gonna leak three spells*, & this time, you get to choose the class. Vote for your preferred spellcasting class; standard VUAM rules apply:

{table=head]Class|Votes
Bard|4
Cleric|
Druid|
Paladin|1
Ranger|4
Sorcerer|4
Wizard|[/table]

* This leak is only for 3.5E; a 4E leak might be coming soon.

Alteran
2009-07-08, 08:05 PM
* This leak is only for 3.5E; a 4E leak might be coming soon.

But I can still vote! :smallbiggrin:

I choose sorcerer.

LordZarth
2009-07-08, 08:06 PM
Ranger! Or Druid, Bard, or Sorcerer.

EDIT: I've never cared about nor played a ranger, but Afroakuma's teaser set a fire for them into me.

puppyavenger
2009-07-08, 08:10 PM
I'm going with sorceror

paddyfool
2009-07-08, 08:44 PM
I'd like to see what new awesomesauce awaits the Bard.

afroakuma
2009-07-08, 10:06 PM
Shame I don't get a vote. :smallcool:

blackspeeker
2009-07-08, 10:16 PM
Bard definitely want to see something from there.

SwordGoddess
2009-07-08, 11:19 PM
Another vote for bard, here. :smallsmile:

Zeta Kai
2009-07-09, 05:21 AM
All votes are currently tallied.

Ah, that brings back memories. :smalltongue:

Athaniar
2009-07-09, 05:36 AM
I vote Ranger.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-09, 07:16 AM
Tally another vote for ranger

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-09, 08:41 AM
Paladin please.

dracoslaad
2009-07-09, 08:53 AM
I for one am curious about the details on some Ranger spells.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-09, 09:45 AM
Bard - I <3 teh smexy bardness.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-09, 12:00 PM
All votes are currently tallied.

I'll close this poll at arounf 9PM EST (~8 hours from now). Or when there's a clear winner. Whichever comes last.

Thane of Fife
2009-07-09, 03:36 PM
Don't wizards and sorcerers use the same spell lists? Or is that changed in this setting?

And Sorcerer, just to make it a bit closer to even.

Emong
2009-07-09, 03:37 PM
Let's go with Sorcerer.

afroakuma
2009-07-09, 04:06 PM
Don't wizards and sorcerers use the same spell lists?

Could be. Could be that we're deliberately diffusing the sor/wiz vote by making people think they're different. But that doesn't sound like the kind of thing we would do.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-09, 05:01 PM
Could be. Could be that we're deliberately diffusing the sor/wiz vote by making people think they're different. But that doesn't sound like the kind of thing we would do.

Well, it's not the sort of thing I would do. Afro'd do anything to pwn a wizard. :smalltongue:

Zeta Kai
2009-07-09, 09:44 PM
Well, it's after the dead line, & we have a three-way tie between Bard, Ranger, & Sorcerer. :smallsigh: Sounds kinky.

Anyone care to break the tie, or shall I have our surly spokesman Afro decide? :smallamused:

Reverent-One
2009-07-09, 09:52 PM
I'll take on this responsibility.

Ranger.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-09, 10:04 PM
Thank you, Reverent-One. That'll do.

Three Ranger spells, coming up.

afroakuma
2009-07-09, 10:06 PM
Anyone care to break the tie, or shall I have our surly spokesman Afro decide? :smallamused:

Surly??? :smallannoyed:

Ranger spells, eh? You'll need my clearance.

LordZarth
2009-07-09, 10:12 PM
Don't go there, Zeta. Not necessarily kinky.

Well, I already voted, but I would definitely love to see it be Ranger. Why?

1. Rangers sucked... AND were boring.
2. Zeta, Shadow, and Afro came along.
3. Afro made a teaser on Rangers.
4. Rangers were awesome. They totally drew me in and drew pictures in my mind... before, they had no appeal.

Naow, they do. I would love to see more about the Ranger of the Kamala.

EDIT: Oh sweet. I get tri-ninja'd, and the result = awesome. -afroakuma, that is. GIVE CLEARANCE! Please?

afroakuma
2009-07-09, 10:19 PM
awesome. -afroakuma, that is.

:smallannoyed: Awesome - afroakuma = 0

Remember that.

LordZarth
2009-07-09, 10:46 PM
:smallannoyed: Awesome - afroakuma = 0

Remember that.

Afro + Awesome +POWER = Afroakuma, but

Afroakuma - Afro = POWER.

Whar all the awesome gone?

Zeta Kai
2009-07-09, 10:58 PM
Well, the choices were a bit difficult, because we've made many good Ranger spells. Here's a list of the spells that are either exclusive to the Ranger, or are only shared by a specific prestige class or clerical domain:

Archer’s Prowess
Camouflage
Competence
Feral Hunter
Hunter’s Mark
Hunter’s Mark, Greater
Natural Force
Nature’s Child
Nature’s Image
Primal Instinct
Pursuit
Sable Dance
Savage Strength
Time of the Hunter
Wind’s Edge

But we choose these to show off the versatility & power still available to a Ranger in a desert-dominated setting. We think that these spells increase the options & potency of a Ranger, regardless of locale. Enjoy, if you wish; each spell has been spoilered, for those who'd prefer to wait until the final release.

Camouflage
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Rgr 2
Components: S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

Drawing forth the natural obscuration from the nearby environment, you add an illusory mask as it settles around you, providing you with 25% concealment & a +4 bonus to Hide checks. A suspicious creature can make a Will save to notice the glamer, reducing your concealment against that creature to 10% but not negating the Hide bonus offered. True seeing offers no further information.

This spell also lets you hide even while being observed. It is not dispelled if you attack or take another hostile action, although doing so is likely to provoke suspicion.

Material Component: Dust & a thick piece of tree bark.

Feral Hunter
Transmutation
Level: Rgr 2, Wild 3
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You gain the Scent ability, becoming able determine enemies’ positions by odor. If you have the Track feat, you can also track foes by their smell.

Additionally, you gain a +4 bonus to Listen, Spot & Survival checks, though you suffer a -2 penalty to any Charisma checks.

Savage Strength
Transmutation
Level: Blk 1, Rgr 1
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You add power to your attacks through sheer ferocity, giving an unpredictable strength to your every strike. Your melee attacks deal an additional 1d6 points of damage damage while savage strength is active.

paddyfool
2009-07-10, 06:38 AM
Both useful, and characterful. Seems fair enough to me.

Thane of Fife
2009-07-10, 09:52 AM
Spoiled for those who didn't read the above:

Why would spells that you can only cast upon yourself allow saving throws or spell resistance?

And why does the 2nd spell give -2 charisma? Do other people smell bad, or something?

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 10:40 AM
Spoiled for those who didn't read the above:

Why would spells that you can only cast upon yourself allow saving throws or spell resistance?

Copypasta.

And why does the 2nd spell give -2 charisma? Do other people smell bad, or something?

While under the effects of that spell, you temporarily become more feral.

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 11:04 AM
And now it's time for the next class treatise:

The Barbarian

A warrior of the -

Hey, get off of that -

Put that axe down right -

Do you even -

How dare -

*loud thunking noise*

Talky-man strung up by big hair so Jal and Hundaq talk about why fore be big strong burly smasher!

Jal are big strong burly smasher. Like smash with big burly strongness. Like smash with big burly stick.

And I am Hundaq, a wilder of the southlands of battle.

Jal like fight. Jal like rage. Jal like pointy rage, and Savage Rage, and bashy rage, and squishy rage, and fury, and Startling Rage, and awesome rage, and Potent Rage, and...

But that is not all that the wilders can be, my compatriot. We are proud of our Awareness of the world and its dangers. We pride ourselves on our Grim Determination to survive and bring our wrath upon our foes. If we rage, we do so in a lucid fashion, channeling our anger while letting cooler heads prevail.

Also is be proud of know how for smash hidey things that not know where are! What called that?

Intuition, my hyenine comrade.

Two shins, right. Proud to have two shins.

I have four.

Your shins better than Jal's?

Do not worry about it. Continue.

Jal like jumping on things for to make them squish.

We wilders follow the Path of the Traveling Moon, and have trained to leap quickly and invisibly to the side, reappearing where our foes do not expect us to be.

Jal am fast, too. Show you how?

No need, my friend. I too can move at a Quick Pace.

...and longhead rage and -

I think you mean Headlong Rage.

That one! Are Jal have forget of any?

YOU MAY HAVE LEFT ONE OUT, YES.

Uh oh.

Oh dear.

You seem to have forgotten about INTENSE RAGE!!!

*KABOOM*

So in summary... anyone else who tries to suspend me by the afro will meet a similar and most agonizing fate.

SwordGoddess
2009-07-10, 11:48 AM
Jal like jumping on things for to make them squish.

*Snort* The entire exchange had me chortling. But for some reason, this part made me laugh the most.

We wilders follow the Path of the Traveling Moon, and have trained to leap quickly and invisibly to the side, reappearing where our foes do not expect us to be.

Path of the Traveling Moon, eh? Color me intrigued.

...and I solemenly swear to never try and hoist any of the build team up by anything.

Athaniar
2009-07-10, 12:05 PM
Interesting exchange. And from it, I think I can discern that Jal is a gnoll (hyenine) and Hundaq is a centaur (four shins). Correct?

Also, the Path of the Traveling Moon. You feel like telling us more?

Alteran
2009-07-10, 12:13 PM
I assume everything in capital letters (Startling Rage, Potent Rage, Awareness, Quick Rage, etc.) is a class feature of some sort?

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 12:25 PM
Path of the Traveling Moon, eh? Color me intrigued.

So colored.

Interesting exchange. And from it, I think I can discern that Jal is a gnoll (hyenine) and Hundaq is a centaur (four shins). Correct?

For what it's worth, yes.

Also, the Path of the Traveling Moon. You feel like telling us more?

New feat. What was it you were looking for?

I assume everything in capital letters (Startling Rage, Potent Rage, Awareness, Quick Rage, etc.) is a class feature of some sort?

Feats.

SwordGoddess
2009-07-10, 02:47 PM
So colored.

Oooo, shiny!

Anywhoodle, at least part of what I was wondering was answered (what the Path of the Traveling Moon was).

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-10, 04:49 PM
You seem to have forgotten about IN TENTS RAGE!!!

I suppose I shouldn't go camping for a bit then :wink:

Good write-up though.

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 04:51 PM
What writeup? Those savages prevented me from doing my writeup. I didn't even get to tell you why you should play a barbarian. :smallannoyed:

Alteran
2009-07-10, 04:52 PM
So colored.

Do my eyes deceive me? I notice a distinct lack of the letter "u" in the second word in this quotation. :smallannoyed:

Feats.

Ah, right.

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 05:49 PM
Do my eyes deceive me? I notice a distinct lack of the letter "u" in the second word in this quotation. :smallannoyed:

Canadian spelling annoys me.

Juhn
2009-07-10, 05:50 PM
Heretic.

Also, would this Path of the Traveling Moon refer to the one that crosses the planes?

Lappy9000
2009-07-10, 05:55 PM
Do my eyes deceive me? I notice a distinct lack of the letter "u" in the second word in this quotation. :smallannoyed: We only speak American here.

In America!

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 05:55 PM
Heretic.

Brit.

Also, would this Path of the Traveling Moon refer to the one that crosses the planes?

Yes.

Lappy: you seem to have Le Tricolore backwards there.

Oh yes, and:

Can*ada

all the way. :smallamused:

Alteran
2009-07-10, 06:04 PM
Canadian spelling annoys me.

:smalleek:

We only speak American here.

In America!

It's so good to be back home...

In Canada!

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 06:09 PM
Don't worry, Alteran, I already got him for it.

And so what if I refuse to drop "u"s into random words? Just shows I've discarded the colonial mentality, doesn't it?

Alteran
2009-07-10, 06:17 PM
Don't worry, Alteran, I already got him for it.

You forgot the "in", I had to step in and make things right. What would Bandit Keith say?

And so what if I refuse to drop "u"s into random words? Just shows I've discarded the colonial mentality, doesn't it?

It shows you've adopted the American mentality! (Which is normally not a problem, but it is for a Canadian. :smallwink:) I fear what will the future holds for you, Afro. What's next, burning down a Tim Horton's? Making faces at a moose? Adopting the Imperial system? Seriously America, what's up with that last one? =P

Sidenote: Should it be POWER!!!? :smalltongue:

Juhn
2009-07-10, 06:23 PM
It has already been established that blue is the colour of power.

Note that this is not the color of power, because there is no such thing.

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 06:34 PM
It shows you've adopted the American mentality!

As if.

I fear what will the future holds for you, Afro. What's next, burning down a Tim Horton's? Making faces at a moose? Adopting the Imperial system?

Never on all three.

Rest assured, I still drink pop, sit on a chesterfield or a couch, attend university, write exams, work in Canada's bizarre hybrid of metric units and Imperial personal measurements (height and weight), reserve my disrespect for a Prime Minister, visit bachelor apartments, draw with pencil crayons, spend loonies and toonies, consider Coffee Crisp a chocolate bar, mock Newfies and Capers with equal aplomb and know how to order a double-double, eh?

Alteran
2009-07-10, 06:39 PM
Rest assured, I still drink pop, sit on a chesterfield or a couch, attend university, write exams, work in Canada's bizarre hybrid of metric units and Imperial personal measurements (height and weight), reserve my disrespect for a Prime Minister, visit bachelor apartments, draw with pencil crayons, spend loonies and toonies, consider Coffee Crisp a chocolate bar, mock Newfies and Capers with equal aplomb and know how to order a double-double, eh?

...fine.

...consider Coffee Crisp a chocolate bar...

Wait, what? Who doesn't? It has chocolate, and it is in the general shape of a bar. Seems straightforward enough to me.

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 06:42 PM
Wait, what? Who doesn't? It has chocolate, and it is in the general shape of a bar. Seems straightforward enough to me.

Americans have this moronic idea that a bar made largely of, or featuring, chocolate, should be called a "candy bar."

Doesn't make sense.

Alteran
2009-07-10, 06:44 PM
Americans have this moronic idea that a bar made largely of, or featuring, chocolate, should be called a "candy bar."

Doesn't make sense.

Oh, I see. But they're consistent in calling it candy, right? I thought you meant that some people just considered Coffee Crisp not to be a chocolate bar when they used the term for other confectionary bars containing chocolate.

And, to be fair, a Coffee Crisp in particular probably is more candy than chocolate. I've just never heard one person use both terms.

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 06:52 PM
Oh, I see. But they're consistent in calling it candy, right? I thought you meant that some people just considered Coffee Crisp not to be a chocolate bar when they used the term for other confectionary bars containing chocolate.

And, to be fair, a Coffee Crisp in particular probably is more candy than chocolate. I've just never heard one person use both terms.

Oh, no - I picked Coffee Crisp because it originated in Canada.

And come on, it's wafer with chocolate. If anything it's a cookie bar. A candy bar would involve actual candy.

Reverent-One
2009-07-10, 07:10 PM

Doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense if you classify chocolate as a candy as well. Then, as chocolate is a subset of candy, it is a candy bar.

And as for saying pop instead of soda, that's more of a north vs south rather than America vs Canada thing, as from my experience even most northern Americans say pop rather than soda. Crazy people.

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 07:13 PM
It makes perfect sense if you classify chocolate as a candy as well. Then, as chocolate is a subset of candy, it is a candy bar.

Except that I know what goes into the production of chocolate as compared to candy. There's no way I'd subset them, any more than I'd call pie or cake candy.

And as for saying pop instead of soda, that's more of a north vs south rather than America vs Canada thing, as from my experience even most northern Americans say pop rather than soda. Crazy people.

True enough, but it shocked the Hells out of me when I first went to Florida and couldn't get orange pop.

...are there any on-topic questions/comments/concerns?

Alteran
2009-07-10, 07:22 PM
Except that I know what goes into the production of chocolate as compared to candy. There's no way I'd subset them, any more than I'd call pie or cake candy.

:smalleek:

We must make cake pie.

...are there any on-topic questions/comments/concerns?

Can we hear about cities? How about the flora and fauna of Siraaj? Sorry sir. Please don't hurt me, sir.

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 07:29 PM
:smallannoyed:

LordZarth
2009-07-10, 07:29 PM
How about the flora and fauna of Siraaj?

Ooh! Ooh! I know this one!

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 07:45 PM
...I take that as a "no," then.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-10, 09:27 PM
Well, as the only American on the Build Team, I will do my country a service & keep my fat lazy mouth shut. :smallamused:

However, I will say that we should call them candy bars, because in other countries, you can't legally call that brown sweet stuff we cover our candy bars with "chocolate". I've had real chocolate, both here & abroad, & that stuff ain't chocolate. Don't get me wrong, I love Butterfingers, M&M's, & Heath bars, but it's only called chocolate here because the FDA is a corporate stooge & a mockery of a consumer-protection institution. :smallsigh:

Now, do people like our Ranger spells?

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 09:32 PM
Well, as the only American on the Build Team, I will do my country a service & keep my fat lazy mouth shut. :smallamused:

*lets his gaze drift over to the large Canadian flag piercing the worlds of Kamala*

Relax, Zeta. We like your country just fine. After all, you have Disneyworld! And most of the best Cirque shows! Which originated in Canada, were produced by Canadians and are staffed, in the main, by Canadians.

However, I will say that we should call them candy bars, because in other countries, you can't legally call that brown sweet stuff we cover our candy bars with "chocolate".

...touché.