PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Zeta Kai
2009-07-10, 10:32 PM
We like your country just fine. After all, you have Disneyworld! And most of the best Cirque shows! [COLOR="White"]Which originated in Canada, were produced by Canadians and are staffed, in the main, by Canadians.

That's very cirqular reasoning. :smalltongue: Yay, I finally got the 1,001st post! 8)

Alteran
2009-07-10, 10:33 PM
Yay, the 1,001st post!

1002nd. :smallwink:

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 10:34 PM
All of my reasoning is cirqular. :smallamused:

Alteran
2009-07-10, 10:35 PM
Duly edited, usurper. :smallsigh:

I deleted my message. For you! :smallsmile:

Zeta Kai
2009-07-10, 10:38 PM
All of my reasoning is cirqular. :smallamused:

I've noticed. :smalltongue:

And Alteran, you rock. :smallcool:

Alteran
2009-07-10, 10:48 PM
And Alteran, you rock. :smallcool:

Aww, I feel all fuzzy inside now. See, Afro? This is why people choose not to follow the path of evil. If I had quotations in my signature, that would surely be one of them. I may break habit and put a quotation in my sig after all...but I'm so used to just seeing the homebrew link. Oh, and the line of thanks to Arokh.

Also, for those who care. Over the past 4 threads, these people have had the 1000th post (old to new):

Juhn
Zocelot
Lappy9000
Afroakuma

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-10, 10:49 PM
Alteran, the 1000th post is irrelevant. The 1001st post is what matters. Unless you meant 1001 and typed 1000 by accident.
You know, 1001 Arabian Nights and all that

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 10:53 PM
Aww, I feel all fuzzy inside now. See, Afro? This is why people choose not to follow the path of evil.

Aww, I feel like wielding the POWER to conjure spectacular fireworks to a driving, epic musical score while hovering in the middle of a giant artificial lake.

See, Alteran? This is why people choose to follow the path of evil. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAWRcCXFGI8)

Also, for those who care. Over the past 4 threads, these people have had the 1000th post (old to new):

Juhn
Zocelot
Lappy9000
Afroakuma

I originally had the 1001st in the main thread, but someone deleted one of theirs, it would seem.

...four threads? :smallconfused:

Alteran
2009-07-10, 10:55 PM
You know, 1001 Arabian Nights and all that

I...I can't believe I missed that. Well, the order for that is:

Afroakuma :smallannoyed:
Afroakuma :smallmad:
Afroakuma :smallfurious:
Zeta Kai :smallwink:

Edit:

...four threads? :smallconfused:

Voting thread, discussion threads I, II, and III.

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 11:14 PM
Voting thread, discussion threads I, II, and III.

Huh. Didn't realize we had 4.

I...I can't believe I missed that. Well, the order for that is:

Afroakuma :smallannoyed:
Afroakuma :smallmad:
Afroakuma :smallfurious:

Is anyone surprised? :smallamused:

Zeta Kai :smallwink:

Meh; I got three, and I got to remind him of my supreme flag-planting usurpation of project command. :smallamused: I'll share this triumph with Shadow; fellow Canucks, and all.

Alteran
2009-07-10, 11:16 PM
Meh; I got three, and I got to remind him of my supreme flag-planting usurpation of project command. :smallamused: I'll share this triumph with Shadow; fellow Canucks, and all.

What about Juhn and I? Are we just chopped...er...beaver?

afroakuma
2009-07-10, 11:18 PM
What about Juhn and I? Are we just chopped...er...beaver?

Well, you're not members of the build team.

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-11, 04:12 AM
I am, of course, British- which makes me marginally better than being american:smallwink:

For the purposes of chocolate related discussion, it is to my great shame that I cannot claim belgian or swiss nationality, on the grounds that those are the supreme nations of chocolate mastery within the world (whereas the usa is probably the richest nation in the bottom 20). I mean, I wouldn't say the UK was bad at chocolate making... we have to directly compete against imported belgian and swiss chocolate, it's merely that Belgium and Switzerland are in a league of their own for the most part.

On a note slightly more connected to the campaign setting, will there be any presence of chocolate within the setting as it is currently written?

Zeta Kai
2009-07-11, 05:43 AM
On a note slightly more connected to the campaign setting, will there be any presence of chocolate within the setting as it is currently written?

Oddly enough, the she-da-zhong have the closest thing to chocolate, which they use as the main ingredient in a spicy-hot stimulating drink. But their ways are strange to the peoples of the Admajai, & in most ways anathema. Most candies in the SoF are made with honey or imported beet sugars.

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-11, 06:08 AM
Thanks... and that fulfills my obligation to try and get this thing back on topic

afroakuma
2009-07-11, 07:15 AM
Mmmm... sugar. :smallsmile:

Lappy9000
2009-07-11, 09:09 AM
How come I done 'un missed a discussion about the Ranger, the Barbarian, and Chocolate?* :smallconfused:

But I got a 1,000th post, apparently! Yay! :smallbiggrin:

As always, awesome spells are awesome. And I'm very glad to get to see some other ones!

*As Krusk knocked down the inn door, he viewed the candlelit emanations of the room. Soveliss, on the bed, with nothing but his armor, and covered in chocolate greeted him from across the room. Quietly, gently, the two adventures drew closer, as Krusk tenderly begin to lick off the chocolate off of Soveliss' lithe body....

Zeta Kai
2009-07-11, 11:42 AM
*As Krusk knocked down the inn door, he viewed the candlelit emanations of the room. Soveliss, on the bed, with nothing but his armor, and covered in chocolate greeted him from across the room. Quietly, gently, the two adventures drew closer, as Krusk tenderly begin to lick off the chocolate off of Soveliss' lithe body....

:eek:

See? This is why we don't have orcs, half-orcs, or chocolate in this setting. Because that's just WRONG. :smallyuk:

Lappy9000
2009-07-11, 11:52 AM
Glad I'm still capable of the occasional mind rape :smallbiggrin:

SwordGoddess
2009-07-11, 12:00 PM
Great. I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

Besides, we all know that it's Soveliss/Ember.

Juhn
2009-07-11, 12:15 PM
Suddenly I find myself very glad that I don't remember which one Soveliss is.

And please everyone, feel free not to enlighten me.

afroakuma
2009-07-11, 12:16 PM
Enough with the mindrape.

Questions.

Lappy9000
2009-07-11, 12:21 PM
Enough with the mindrape.

Questions.Granted, I only said one thing...

Anyway, I don't really have much on the spells. They all look great. However, I am curious, why does Camouflage provide 25% concealment instead of the normal 20%? Although I like how you still keep 10% even if you're noticed.

afroakuma
2009-07-11, 12:24 PM
Anyway, I don't really have much on the spells. They all look great. However, I am curious, why does Camouflage provide 25% concealment instead of the normal 20%? Although I like how you still keep 10% even if you're noticed.

I keep hearing this. It bothers me.

Lappy9000
2009-07-11, 12:30 PM
I keep hearing this. It bothers me.So...I'm guessing just 'cause, then? :smallconfused:

I'm fine with going against convention. Just curious as to why it was chosen that way.

LordZarth
2009-07-11, 12:34 PM
I missed so much?

Yeah, Canada! Britain? Chocolate... bars? Ah, Mindrape! Lappy, die, die DIE!

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-11, 12:50 PM
Are there any significant aquatic civilizations? Are there any "pure" elementals (that is, Earth Elemental, Water Elemental, et cetera) and how do they factor into planar politics? Are there any factions attempting to free Johum?

That reminds me - I thought of a legitimate reason for players to seek out the Big Z. Well, sort of. First they need to uncover his existence (difficult, as you've already outlined). Why would they seek him out? For them to ask him for aid - probably with something far beyond their ken to deal with.

Mind you, they'd probably try to ask other gods first, but that may or may not prove just as difficult. After all, you need to track one down first...

afroakuma
2009-07-11, 01:23 PM
Are there any significant aquatic civilizations?

I could swear I've answered this before, both with "yes" and with "keep yourself to dry land."

Are there any "pure" elementals (that is, Earth Elemental, Water Elemental, et cetera) and how do they factor into planar politics?

Yes, and they do not.

Are there any factions attempting to free Johum?

What an innnnnteresting question. :smallwink:

That reminds me - I thought of a legitimate reason for players to seek out the Big Z.

Oh have you. :smallsigh:

Well, sort of.

I see. :smallannoyed:

First they need to uncover his existence (difficult, as you've already outlined).

No, first they need a reason.

Why would they seek him out?

Do tell.

For them to ask him for aid

Well that would be futile.

probably with something far beyond their ken to deal with.

Why skip the middlemen? They're easier to find.

Mind you, they'd probably try to ask other gods first

There we go.

but that may or may not prove just as difficult. After all, you need to track one down first...

Not nearly as hard. Zaia is physically present on both worlds, the Darshan travel, and both Akasha and Sunya maintain their permanent presences on their respective planes. Even Hagalvethr or *shudder* Nathar are easier to find than Zihaja.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-11, 03:17 PM
Hey, I didn't say that seeking out the Big Z would /help/. However, are the PLAYERS aware of the futility of the action? No.

*Loves screwing with his players*

afroakuma
2009-07-11, 03:28 PM
Hey, I didn't say that seeking out the Big Z would /help/. However, are the PLAYERS aware of the futility of the action? No.

*Loves screwing with his players*

Again, what kind of threat is there that A) only Zihaja could deal with and B) he hasn't already?

Also, how would the characters even know to look him up?

Zeta Kai
2009-07-11, 06:29 PM
We never should have leaked the Big Z. We've wasted more time trying to explain the futility of knowing/contacting/surviving Zihaja than we've spent discussing the rest of the setting. I don't know what it is about some players that just cannot accept impossibilities in the game.

I was storytelling a Vampire (OWoD) game, & there was one player who insisted upon meeting Caine. CAINE. I eventually relented, but only after every possible tactic of diverting him to a sane course of action had been attempted. He met his precious Caine. He insulted his precious Caine. He made an attempt to attack his precious Caine. He was flayed alive by his precious Caine. As he shook with horror & rage as I tore up his character sheet, I pointed out that the books are more clear about the results of fighting Caine than they are about more other respects of the World of Darkness. To fight him is to lose.

The same could be said about other games. Planescape players are all well aware that most interactions with the Lady of Pain are fatal, & attempting to find here is a great way to practice making new characters. You'd be better off peeing on Asmodeus's robes than poking around for the Lady of Pain. And Sigil forbid that you actually pray to her...

Look, we've said it before, & the Build Team is united on this: Zihaja is unknown & unknowable. He is a remote enigma. Epic characters might learn of him someday, as they might learn the origins of the Kamala. But doing anything with either knowledge is about as likely as doing something with the knowledge that the dinosaurs were wiped out by a meteor: it's good to know, but knowing it doesn't change anything.

I'd rather discuss any other topic about the setting than waste threadspace on player meta-knowledge like Zihaja.

afroakuma
2009-07-12, 07:22 AM
Well, now that that's all tied up, let's proceed.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-12, 09:34 AM
Well, now that that's all tied up, let's proceed.

Yes, let's. Anyone have questions about monsters? I could talk about monsters all bloody day.

Szilard
2009-07-12, 10:56 AM
How many monsters are there?

Zeta Kai
2009-07-12, 11:14 AM
How many monsters are there?

According to my count, the 3E version will have about 60 original monsters. Thankfully, those are all statted up already. :smallcool:

I'd have to check with SE for the 4E count.

afroakuma
2009-07-12, 11:17 AM
According to my count

I never said anything of the sort.

Sincerely yours,
•••••Count afroakuma, 1st Count of Awesome

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-12, 12:22 PM
I'm sure Awesome demands a continental variation on the title...

For example: Comte de la Awesome.

afroakuma
2009-07-12, 12:24 PM
I'm also an Infante, a Margrave, two Marquises, several Dukes, a couple of Archdukes, various Princes, two Kings, at least one Emperor and the Sultan of Antarctica.

Alteran
2009-07-12, 12:59 PM
I'm also an Infante, a Margrave, two Marquises, several Dukes, a couple of Archdukes, various Princes, two Kings, at least one Emperor and the Sultan of Antarctica.

And Don Biggléz?

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-12, 10:00 PM
What monster is the build team proudest of? What sentient being do you think is the coolest?

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-13, 03:53 AM
What is, in the build team's opinion, the most dangerous monster for the setting? and the creepiest?

Zeta Kai
2009-07-13, 06:15 AM
What monster is the build team proudest of? What sentient being do you think is the coolest?

What is, in the build team's opinion, the most dangerous monster for the setting? and the creepiest?

Well, I cannot speak for the other members of the Build Team on this issue, but I'd say that in all cases, the Ghul fit the bill the best, IMO. They make me proud; they are very cool, very dangerous, & very creepy.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-13, 11:29 AM
Upon further review, here are my alterative choices for monsters:

Proudest Of: She-da-zhong (they were just going to be slightly-tweaked yuan-ti, but when we decided to use Fax's D20r & make the project fully OGL-compliant, I had to overhaul several monsters; the she-da-zhong we revamped, & significantly improved in the process)
Coolest: Tough call, as I love all my babies, but if I had to choose, then I'd say the Simurgh (both for their powerful crunch & their interesting fluff)
Most Dangerous: Desert Dragon (a Great Wyrm has a higher CR than any only creature in the setting, & hates everyone)
Creepiest: Nasnas (a walking corpse is creepy; a half-corpse hopping at you is creepier)

Alteran
2009-07-13, 12:31 PM
Most Dangerous: Desert Dragon (a Great Wyrm has a higher CR than any only creature in the setting, & hates everyone)

Higher CR than the aspects? Or are they not statted out?

afroakuma
2009-07-13, 01:23 PM
They are not statted out, and don't functionally exist; regardless, I'm fairly certain that Zeta was referring to non-unique creatures.

He'd have to be, since Ras Shasad has a higher CR than any desert dragon.

LordZarth
2009-07-13, 02:28 PM
They are not statted out, and don't functionally exist; regardless, I'm fairly certain that Zeta was referring to non-unique creatures.

He'd have to be, since Ras Shasad has a higher CR than any desert dragon.

And Johoum?

afroakuma
2009-07-13, 03:11 PM
Forget relative CRs. I refuse to answer any more questions on the subject.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-13, 04:27 PM
- What unique creature are you the most excited about?

- Do you have any information you could spoil on a major evil organization (in the event that you ask what kind of organization, let's say...a political one)?

- Are you /ever/ going to release info on your one, lonely little Fey creature?

afroakuma
2009-07-13, 04:30 PM
- What unique creature are you the most excited about?

Couldn't tell you. Cunning sinner. >:(

- Do you have any information you could spoil on a major evil organization (in the event that you ask what kind of organization, let's say...a political one)?

I do.

- Are you /ever/ going to release info on your one, lonely little Fey creature?

Yes. It's called release 1.0 :smallamused:

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-13, 04:35 PM
- Will you spoil some information on a major evil organization? Nothing too fancy - just, y'know, name, goal, maybe a little bit of history. I'm not asking for the Supreme Leader or anything.

Athaniar
2009-07-13, 05:15 PM
Although that would be nice, as well.

afroakuma
2009-07-13, 07:45 PM
Just to clarify, I wasn't being a jerk there; I was at work.

S. J. Floyd
2009-07-13, 08:30 PM
The finished product is getting so close to release, so very close.

Quick question: the setting is being developed to be played with 4e too, right? It's the only edition I'm familiar with and intend to play *needs to find other players first*.

At any rate, I'm really looking forward to looking through the lore for everything.

Actually, that brings up another question: How in-depth does the information on each monster go, on average? Because Zeta's on the team, and I've seen his Oaves thread...

afroakuma
2009-07-13, 08:40 PM
The finished product is getting so close to release, so very close.

Quick question: the setting is being developed to be played with 4e too, right? It's the only edition I'm familiar with and intend to play *needs to find other players first*.

That's correct.

Actually, that brings up another question: How in-depth does the information on each monster go, on average? Because Zeta's on the team, and I've seen his Oaves thread...

Eh, it varies. Each has plot hooks.

LordZarth
2009-07-13, 09:06 PM
The Oaves were actually a race, hence the massive fluff. I don't suspect (m)any monsters will have that detail, BUT with the build team who they are the fluff will be extremely detailed (in general).

afroakuma
2009-07-13, 09:10 PM
The Oaves were actually a race, hence the massive fluff. I don't suspect (m)any monsters will have that detail, BUT with the build team who they are the fluff will be extremely detailed (in general).

You're telling me. Truckloads of it. :smallsigh:

Zeta Kai
2009-07-14, 02:15 PM
How in-depth does the information on each monster go, on average? Because Zeta's on the team, and I've seen his Oaves thread...

Each monster will get about as much depth as one of my Vote Up a Monster creatures. Each will have a picture (if possible), a full stat block (3E & 4E), encounter fluff, a 2-4 paragraph description, a combat/tactical paragraph, a lore breakdown, & about 3 plothooks. That should cover the basics. Some creatures are actually sentient NPC "races", & so they will have racial feats, items, etc detailed elsewhere.

Each PC race will get a decent write-up, about on-par with what I did for the races in Final Fantasy X d20. Nothing as insanely in-depth & comprehensive as the Oaves, but more than sufficient for a campaign setting. Also, PC races will have racial feats, items, cultural background, religious practices, alignment tendencies, linguistic notes, & more. Not to mentions tidbits about the creatures spread out across the rest of the setting info. All-in-all, the monsters (especially the PC races) will be rather fleshed out in the end.

Athaniar
2009-07-14, 02:19 PM
Each monster will get about as much depth as one of my Vote Up a Monster creatures. Each will have a picture (if possible), a full stat block (3E & 4E), encounter fluff, a 2-4 paragraph description, a combat/tactical paragraph, a lore breakdown, & about 3 plothooks. That should cover the basics. Some creatures are actually sentient NPC "races", & so they will have racial feats, items, etc detailed elsewhere.

Each PC race will get a decent write-up, about on-par with what I did for the races in Final Fantasy X d20. Nothing as insanely in-depth & comprehensive as the Oaves, but more than sufficient for a campaign setting. Also, PC races will have racial feats, items, cultural background, religious practices, alignment tendencies, linguistic notes, & more. Not to mentions tidbits about the creatures spread out across the rest of the setting info. All-in-all, the monsters (especially the PC races) will be rather fleshed out in the end.

Very good. Makes me look forward to the final product even more. Any preliminary release date?

afroakuma
2009-07-14, 02:25 PM
Very good. Makes me look forward to the final product even more. Any preliminary release date?

Currently, our final release date is projected to be:

PFFFFHahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahano

But of course that's not set in stone.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-14, 04:03 PM

As the Build Team consists of an autocratic perfectionist, a beleaguered student, & a self-confessed whack-job, I'd say it'll be ready when it's done. :smallwink:

If I were forced to take a wild, non-binding stab in the dark on our approximate completion percentage, then I'd say we were at 70%. But of course, I'm not forced to do so, so I won't. :smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2009-07-14, 04:06 PM
As the Build Team consists of an autocratic perfectionist, a beleaguered student, & a self-confessed whack-job

:smallconfused: Okay, but who else is on the team apart from me? Hehehe

Thane of Fife
2009-07-14, 06:20 PM
:smallconfused: Okay, but who else is on the team apart from me? Hehehe

Well, there's a guy who briefly used the picture below as an avatar:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/AfroAkuma.jpg
:smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-07-14, 06:30 PM
Again, me. That was a big mistake; confused everybody.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-14, 08:20 PM
Well, there's a guy who briefly used the picture below as an avatar:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/AfroAkuma.jpg
:smalltongue:

That doesn't narrow it down by much. :smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2009-07-14, 08:45 PM
Yeah, still just me. :smallamused:

Zeta Kai
2009-07-14, 10:27 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, who wants to talk monsters?

Vadin
2009-07-14, 10:48 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, who wants to talk monsters?

What (in your professional opinion) is the coolest monster that a level 5 group of adventurers would face?

afroakuma
2009-07-14, 10:53 PM
What (in your professional opinion) is the coolest monster that a level 5 group of adventurers would face?

Hmm...

Am I capped to a CR of 5 or a more unreasonable 9?

Vadin
2009-07-14, 10:54 PM
Hmm...

Am I capped to a CR of 5 or a more unreasonable 9?

Let's say...between 3 and 7. Or 9 if it's really, really cool.

afroakuma
2009-07-14, 11:05 PM
Between 3 and 7? Probably a genie of some sort.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-15, 05:05 AM
I'd say an almasti (CR), an evil hag that targets pregnant women. Here's the image (http://fc53.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/200/9/0/hag_by_zamoth.jpg) that we plan to use for one. Sleep tight.

Athaniar
2009-07-15, 05:37 AM
I'd say an almasti (CR), an evil hag that targets pregnant women. Here's the image (http://fc53.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/200/9/0/hag_by_zamoth.jpg) that we plan to use for one. Sleep tight.

So if you don't have any pregnant women in your party, you're safe?

Also, creepy picture.

afroakuma
2009-07-15, 06:51 AM
:smalleek:

That picture is... messed up.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-15, 11:47 AM
What's the friendliest "monster" players are likely to encounter?

You keep mentioning demons - are other fiends not present? What happened to the devils?

afroakuma
2009-07-15, 11:54 AM
What's the friendliest "monster" players are likely to encounter?

Some sort of celestial, I should think.

You keep mentioning demons - are other fiends not present? What happened to the devils?

How do you mean?

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-15, 11:57 AM
Well, you've given all kinds of info on demons - the CE half of the equation - but have been utterly silent on devils - the LE half of the equation - and the various races of NE fiends. What gives?

afroakuma
2009-07-15, 12:15 PM
Well, you've given all kinds of info on demons - the CE half of the equation - but have been utterly silent on devils - the LE half of the equation -

Demons have already been established as a consistent source of opposition and supernatural antagonism. There are devils in the setting, I assure you, just as there are devas.

What are you looking for?

and the various races of NE fiends. What gives?

If you're referring to yugoloths/daemons and/or gehreleths/demodands, neither are present in the setting.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-15, 12:17 PM
Alrighty. I assume there ARE NE fiends, just not organized ones?

Well, what are the devils doing? Has the Big Z roped them into his "organization"? Did they sneak in like the demons did, or were they meant to be there?

afroakuma
2009-07-15, 12:27 PM
Alrighty. I assume there ARE NE fiends, just not organized ones?

What, like night hags and nightmares? Or are you asking about off-aligned devils and demons?

Well, what are the devils doing?

Macarena.

Has the Big Z roped them into his "organization"?

I don't follow.

Did they sneak in like the demons did, or were they meant to be there?

They were invited. Then again, so were the demons.

But Zihaja invited the devils.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-15, 12:28 PM
By "organization", I meant...you know what, the easiest thing to ask is, "What is the devils' JOB on Kamala?"

And yeah, like night hags, night mares, et cetera.

afroakuma
2009-07-15, 12:34 PM
By "organization", I meant...you know what, the easiest thing to ask is, "What is the devils' JOB on Kamala?"

Who said they had one? Do devas have a job? Genies? Humans? Lizardfolk?

And yeah, like night hags, night mares, et cetera.

Ah. In that case, yes: there are evil outsiders who are neither demons nor devils and are of neither lawful evil nor chaotic evil alignment. Neutral evil outsiders, to be quite exact.

S. J. Floyd
2009-07-15, 12:38 PM

To do what they're told by their superiors?

Juhn
2009-07-15, 01:56 PM

...Why in the name of Zihaja does it have fangs on its nipples?

afroakuma
2009-07-15, 01:59 PM
I almost wat to know the same thing, but then I think I probably don't want any answers about that... image. :smalleek:

Zeta Kai
2009-07-15, 02:19 PM
...Why in the name of Zihaja does it have fangs on its nipples?

I don't know, but I've gotten to love Arabian mythology. Those guys had some wild imaginations. Also, note the tiny mouths on its hips. Now just imagine that... thing... coming towards you.

Slowly.

Purposefully.

Amorously.

afroakuma
2009-07-15, 02:23 PM
Now just imagine that... thing... coming towards you.

Slowly.

Purposefully.

Amorously.

No. I refuse. :smallannoyed: You can't make me.

Juhn
2009-07-15, 04:01 PM
Oh god I didn't even see those.

Remind me to kill any such hags with extreme prejudice. In the name of whichever aspect is cool with me doing so.

Lappy9000
2009-07-15, 04:05 PM
Mindrape

More Mindrape
Ah, touché.

afroakuma
2009-07-15, 04:15 PM
Oh god I didn't even see those.

Remind me to kill any such hags with extreme prejudice. In the name of whichever aspect is cool with me doing so.

ALL OF THEM ARE FOREVER

That picture defiles my happiness.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-15, 05:44 PM
Who said they had one? Do devas have a job? Genies? Humans? Lizardfolk?

All right, fine; why were they invited?

Is that question direct enough? Sheesh. The way I see it, one of three things happened:

1. Zihaja simply invited them for his own inscrutable purposes, entrusting their lawful nature to keep them relatively well-behaved.

2. Zihaja invited them in order to counteract the unbalancing presence of the demons.

3. The devils petitioned for entry, and Zihaja was feeling permissive.

afroakuma
2009-07-15, 06:07 PM
All right, fine; why were they invited?

Gods, why are you always probing the protohistory? It's off-limits, you know.

The way I see it, one of three things happened:

You're correct-ish, but I won't tell you which one. Move away from the protohistory, please.

For clearest reference, this means that I am not answering any of the following:

• Zihaja's true identity.

• The reason Zihaja left his former existence.

• Why Kamala was created.

• The origins of any outsider race.

• The origins of Akasha, Sunya, Hagalvethr or Zaia.

• The rationale of the Balance.

• The origin of ghuls.

That pretty much sums up the protohistory as far as public awareness goes. I ask that we not delve into such topics. Fair?

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-15, 06:10 PM
Wait, THAT'S why you weren't answering Ghul questions? Here I thought you were just being a punk - you coulda just said something!

So, you never gave me a "yes" or "no" on whether you'd drop some info on an evil organization or not...

afroakuma
2009-07-15, 06:13 PM
Wait, THAT'S why you weren't answering Ghul questions? Here I thought you were just being a punk - you coulda just said something!

Last event in the protohistory.

And since when has my saying something ever worked? See also: setting title, salmon, Dandan, Zihaja...

So, you never gave me a "yes" or "no" on whether you'd drop some info on an evil organization or not...

Ah yes, sorry. I was at work at the time.

What sort of organization, and what sort of information?
For soon, without hesitation, I'll provide my dissertation.
I hope for a celebration, once done my revelation.
Just don't raise your expectation, it likely won't be a sensation.

...tion. :smallwink:

paddyfool
2009-07-16, 09:56 AM
- Are devils and demons fiercely opposed to each other in this setting?

- Which would be most likely to try and trick a PC or party into a dodgy bargain, corrupt them etc. out of this list, assuming they were vaguely typical: demon; devil; efreeti; rakshasha; ghul; all of the above; something worse? Evil DMs wish to know.

- Which would be best equipped to succeed?

- Give or take any changes to the rules for PCs to change into other stuff, are there any new monsters which you would foresee as prime candidates for such changes to the PCs advantage?

- If you had a Monster Mash at CR 20 or so, which monsters would you most like to see duke it out?

afroakuma
2009-07-16, 10:11 AM
- Are devils and demons fiercely opposed to each other in this setting?

Yup.

- Which would be most likely to try and trick a PC or party into a dodgy bargain, corrupt them etc. out of this list, assuming they were vaguely typical: demon; devil; efreeti; rakshasha; ghul; all of the above; something worse? Evil DMs wish to know.

Ooh, I couldn't even say. Genies, probably, if only because of higher encounter probability.

- Give or take any changes to the rules for PCs to change into other stuff, are there any new monsters which you would foresee as prime candidates for such changes to the PCs advantage?

Meh; the usual spectrum of abusive outsiders, various dragons and other advantageous high-CR monsters.

- If you had a Monster Mash at CR 20 or so, which monsters would you most like to see duke it out?

An advanced samandar and a desert dragon, maybe. There aren't many new high-CR monsters.

Athaniar
2009-07-16, 10:25 AM
Is there a Blood War or anything like it between Devils and Demons, or are they not that fiercely opposed/is something keeping them from engaging in such a conflict?

Also, I don't remember, but have you told us yet what a samandar is? If you haven't, will you do so?

afroakuma
2009-07-16, 10:30 AM
Is there a Blood War or anything like it between Devils and Demons, or are they not that fiercely opposed/is something keeping them from engaging in such a conflict?

The demons are everyone's primary antagonists on Najmah. It's not really a Blood War, though. The demons' main territories are far away from most "civilized" territories.

Also, I don't remember, but have you told us yet what a samandar is?

Nope.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-16, 10:50 AM

There is war between them, as they are philosophically opposed & their territories are near one another. The buffer zone between them is... unpleasant... to be in. It's so full of traps, blasted terrain, & semi-ruined fortifications that it's easier to travel by other means.

Athaniar
2009-07-16, 11:42 AM
Sailing is evil! I knew it!

afroakuma
2009-07-16, 12:37 PM
Ironically, it was the devils who invented sailing on Najmah, for just this reason.

You will excuse us a moment, won't you? menacing glower

SwordGoddess
2009-07-16, 01:41 PM
Uh-oh...I think Zeta's in for it...

afroakuma
2009-07-16, 05:49 PM
Don't worry. We've rectified matters.

LordZarth
2009-07-16, 09:03 PM

Why does that sound so ominous?

Thane of Fife
2009-07-16, 09:08 PM

Nooo! Look what he's done (http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/200/9/0/hag_by_zamoth.jpg) to Zeta Kai!

Don't worry, buddy. We can fix it.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-16, 09:57 PM
...<gasp> this (http://www.strategyplanet.com/homm/hommonline/images/h3ol-harpy.jpg) is the last thing I saw <cough>... Vulture Harpy

afroakuma
2009-07-16, 10:15 PM
...neither of those bear any resemblance to anything I've ever done in my life.

S. J. Floyd
2009-07-16, 11:40 PM
Nooo! Look what he's done (http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/200/9/0/hag_by_zamoth.jpg) to Zeta Kai!

Don't worry, buddy. We can fix it.

Would people please stop posting links to pics of my grandmother. It's embarrassing.

Question: How do you intend on organizing and distributing the setting information? Are we going to download a series of pdf's, like mini player's handbooks and monster manuals, or just one really long file that recommends use of the 'Find' feature? Or something else entirely?

lesser_minion
2009-07-17, 05:57 AM
Considering how involved this particular build team gets, you can probably expect maybe three or four fully bookmarked and hyperlinked PDFs and a custom character sheet.

I don't know how those will be organised however.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-17, 08:24 AM
Considering how involved this particular build team gets, you can probably expect maybe three or four fully bookmarked and hyperlinked PDFs and a custom character sheet.

I don't know how those will be organised however.

1) I can make PDF's, but not with bookmarks or hyperlinks. That may change by the time we're ready to compile this, but as of now, don't expect those features. The PDF (PDFs?) will be lengthy, but it (they?) will also be full indexed with a thorough table of contents.

2) I've stated it before, but I will reiterate: There is NO reason for a custom character sheet to play a D&D game in the HoZ setting. The standard character sheet will suffice. We've worked hard to keep our many new options & features within the scope of the core game. We're not doing a full conversion, nor are we making a 3.75 upgrade (although it certainly feels like that sometimes). We are making a very in-depth campaign setting, something on-par with Forgotten Realms, Eberron, or Dark Sun (at least in terms of depth). A custom character sheet is simply unnecessary & beyond our scope.

lesser_minion
2009-07-17, 08:38 AM
OK, I missed the second point (sorry about that). I tend to customise character sheets for my characters simply out of habit (and because I don't like the existing ones).

I'm pretty sure OpenOffice and Microsoft World can both export bookmarks and hyperlinks direct to PDF with the right plug-ins installed, so the only real problem is adding the bookmarks and hyperlinks to those documents.

Thane of Fife
2009-07-17, 09:58 AM
We are making a very in-depth campaign setting, something on-par with Forgotten Realms, Eberron, or Dark Sun (at least in terms of depth).

I mean no offense, but I have a hard time believing that you are going to the level of depth in FR. If you are, I won't be expecting this for several years.

afroakuma
2009-07-17, 12:38 PM
I mean no offense, but I have a hard time believing that you are going to the level of depth in FR. If you are, I won't be expecting this for several years.

...he was citing examples of campaign settings, not saying that we'd be building twenty years' worth of collaborative world.

Not to mention that we realistically cannot; a great portion of both worlds is empty tracts of wilderness, after all.

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-17, 03:50 PM
I don't know about Afro and Zeta, but my computer has a "convert to PDF" button on it, so if we need hyperlinks, we'll have em'. That's not to say we'll need hyperlinks though.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-19, 08:59 AM
Hey everyone, here's one of our many, many new feats:

Heart of the Gnoll [Racial]
You were raised among the gnolls, giving them an insight into their nature.
Prerequisites: Strength 13+, Humanoid type, non-gnoll race.
Benefit: You have developed a hint of the gnollish ways, to the point where you are now effectively gnoll-blooded. As a gnoll-blooded character, you are now considered a gnoll for effects related to race, & can take gnoll racial feats in addition to feats for your own race. You do not, however, become a gnoll.
Normal: You can only qualify for racial feats that belong to your own race.
Special: This feat may only be taken at 1st level.

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 09:03 AM

:smallconfused:

Odd name for a bump...

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-19, 09:46 AM

Heart of the Gnoll [Racial]
You were raised among the gnolls, giving them an insight into their nature.
Prerequisites: Strength 13+, Humanoid type, non-gnoll race.
Benefit: You have developed a hint of the gnollish ways, to the point where you are now effectively gnoll-blooded. As a gnoll-blooded character, you are now considered a gnoll for effects related to race, & can take gnoll racial feats in addition to feats for your own race. You do not, however, become a gnoll.
Normal: You can only qualify for racial feats that belong to your own race.
Special: This feat may only be taken at 1st level.

Would it be reasonable to assume that an equivalent feat exists for every playable race within the setting?

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 10:02 AM
Would it be reasonable to assume that an equivalent feat exists for every playable race within the setting?

It would be reasonable, but I'm fairly certain it would be wrong.

I don't think there's a "Heart of the Human."

Zeta Kai
2009-07-19, 10:15 AM

No, but there are equivalent feats for every Humanoid race within the setting, which does include Humans. Luckily for all concerned, in our setting, Humanoid races could be counted on a Scholar's hand. :smallwink:
Shaghali & Were-folk notwithstanding...
And yes, some bumps need more substance than others. I like mine crunchy.

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 10:18 AM
Whereas I enjoy my fluffy pillow bumps. :smallsmile:

Zeta Kai
2009-07-19, 10:21 AM
Hey, AA, didja get my last message?

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-19, 11:08 AM
They're discussing internal business just outside the office door again. They think it'll cause interest to pick up the same way interest picked up the last few times they did this

Little do they realise, I'm the only person paying any attention to this little gamble. None of the other people who reply subsequent to this will have paid any attention at all.:wink:

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 11:10 AM
Nah, he just wants to page me without just rudely forwarding the message to me a second time. :smalltongue:

Any questions for me while I'm here?

Athaniar
2009-07-19, 04:29 PM
Can you list all the humanoid races for us?

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 06:23 PM
:smallsigh:

○ Dvernin
• Gnoll
• Human
• Kobold
• Lizardfolk
○ Pahari
○ Shaghal

Bolded are PC races.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-20, 07:25 AM
Hmm. Care to share a little on the subject of Dvernin and Pahari?

As a recap, on Pahari all we have is this lore post:

Excerpted from the Kiss of the Pahari

We had not believed in the marid until we stood in his court. Now, dazzled by the court of the Northern Shah, we were borne below by his invisible agents, given breath through the grace of Limalia.

Through the darkness we could see the iridescent forms of the swimming pahari. Concealed still by the banks of hard, plantlike clay, we waited for our magician to wrap us in a sorcerous veil.

Ahead in the center of the pahari city, we saw the palace of the Western Shah. The shining light radiating from the tunnels we knew to be the fabulous pearl we sought: the Kiss of the Pahari. However, we feared the warriors of the Shah, who we were warned bowed to the leadership of his son, a mortal man. As well, we could not speak with and did not trust the bearers sent by the North.

The greedy light in the sorcerer's eyes worried me, for I feared that he was desirous of the Kiss himself. Legend said that it was a jewel of magical power, perhaps even the home of the Padishah himself!

And Zeta talking about his favourite new monsters:

Well, I love all my babies, so that's a tough question. If I had to say which HoZ monster is my favorite, then I'd choose the Pahari, because they open up the campaign setting in directions that would otherwise be completely unexplored. And you'll just never guess what they are. Good luck, googlers!

While all we got on Dvernin is this:

More like an Arabian Nights-based campaign will rarely stray far enough south to reach the Dvernin. Their world & the realm of the Admajai are separated by culture, language, & climate.

Edit: Oh, and that new avvie is totally awesome Afro. Gotta love Hades :smallbiggrin:. What? Flattering Afro to get more information? Me? Preposterous!

Edit le two: I found something on Pahari!

Hindu scriptures were in trend as the themes of the paintings thanks to the patronage by Hindu Rajas like Sansar Chand; a famous ruler of the Kangra state in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century. Furthermore, court scenes were also very popular as the rulers, very often, commissioned many artists to paint them in a very formal and official style, a tradition might come here from the west with East India Company.

Collectively speaking; fish-shaped elongated eyes, oval faces, receding foreheads, round chins and prominent noses of the characters put against the monochromic backgrounds of yellow, red and green colours, made the Pahari paintings attractive and admirable among all and sundry.Decorativeness was attained in the landscape through trees with very subtle horizon line in the background. In Guler, in the 18th century, naturalistic manner got popularity...

The full article, on the subject of Pahari painting, is here (http://ezinearticles.com/?Pahari-Painting---Romance-Atop-Hills&id=730912)

Am I getting someplace with this?

afroakuma
2009-07-20, 09:26 AM
Hmm. Care to share a little on the subject of Dvernin and Pahari?

No.

Edit: Oh, and that new avvie is totally awesome Afro. Gotta love Hades :smallbiggrin:

It's for Greek/Roman week.

Athaniar
2009-07-20, 12:11 PM
Edit le two: I found something on Pahari!

Actually (according to Wikipedia), the Pahari in Pahari Painting refers to a region of India.

afroakuma
2009-07-20, 12:15 PM
:smallsigh: It has nothing to do with any search result.

Please move on from the nonplayer races that you're almost certain to never encounter in-game. Something else, if you would.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-20, 12:19 PM
Collectively speaking; fish-shaped elongated eyes, oval faces, receding foreheads, round chins and prominent noses of the characters put against the monochromic backgrounds of yellow, red and green colours, made the Pahari paintings attractive and admirable among all and sundry.Decorativeness was attained in the landscape through trees with very subtle horizon line in the background. In Guler, in the 18th century, naturalistic manner got popularity...

Well, one of those adjectives is right.

Juhn
2009-07-20, 01:08 PM
Well, the Dvernin are norse-inspired dwarves, we found that out a while ago.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-20, 02:43 PM
Well, one of those adjectives is right.

Ah well, it was a ridiculously long shot :smalltongue:

Well, the Dvernin are norse-inspired dwarves, we found that out a while ago.

Oh, right. Makes a good deal of sense.

afroakuma
2009-07-20, 02:48 PM
And Pahari are mermaids. Move along.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-20, 05:01 PM
Moving right along!

*picks random topic*

Desert raiders, bandits and assorted marauding lowlifes!

How common are these kinds of folk? What measures does an average trading caravan have to take to protect itself? Are any members of any particular race more common than others in bandit/raider gangs? Is there a Bandit King/Queen? Does he/she have a name? Can we get more details on this person/being? Are there any notable hives of scum and villainy bandit run cities? Do any of them have names yet? Care to point them out on the map?

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-21, 10:17 AM
Luckily for all concerned, in our setting, Humanoid races could be counted on a Scholar's hand.

:smallsigh:

○ Dvernin
• Gnoll
• Human
• Kobold
• Lizardfolk
○ Pahari
○ Shaghal

Bolded are PC races.

Note the use of the word hand in the singular... Does this mean there scholars in the setting with seven-fingered hands?:smallamused:

On a more serious note, why is it assumed that most gaming sessions in the setting would never encounter the dvernin or the pahari? Does the poster of these assumptions not realise that simply because he posted this assumption, there are already a handful of DM's out there preparing to prove him wrong...[/admission of guilt hidden in a sarcastic question]

afroakuma
2009-07-21, 10:27 AM
Note the use of the word hand in the singular... Does this mean there scholars in the setting with seven-fingered hands?:smallamused:

Get me that quote and I'd be more inclined to pay attention.

On a more serious note, why is it assumed that most gaming sessions in the setting would never encounter the dvernin or the pahari?

On an even more serious note, why are we even still talking about them?

I should think the answer is blitheringly obvious: both live in far-off, inimical environments and are basic, non-antagonistic humanoid races. They're not worth the difficulty of shoehorning in.

Does the poster of these assumptions not realise that simply because he posted this assumption, there are already a handful of DM's out there preparing to prove him wrong...[/admission of guilt hidden in a sarcastic question]

Have fun derailing your desert campaign by forcing your players to cross half a continent and several stripes of inhospitable terrain so that they can see a short blond man in the snow. The rest of us will be enjoying our actual setting.

I absolutely don't care what stupidity you plan; time and a lack of fun will prove me right in the end.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-21, 12:21 PM
On an even more serious note, why are we even still talking about them?

Because it´s like, the most ancient human tradition. You know, like that girl who was given a box and told not to open it, or that couple who got told not to eat from a particular tree :smallbiggrin:

Also, I have the impression that there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. Up untill now I was assuming that the Dvernin, while distant, where actually going to be somewhat fleshed out in the setting book. This made them one of the more mysterious parts of the setting as we know it, and thus I was curious about them. However, now I´m getting the impression that the full extent of fleshing out that these guys are getting is more or less "Viking Dwarves who live a a hell of a long way away. They have a god."

In that case I´m no longer curious to get extra info on them because there is obviously none.

On another note, are there any answers for the questions I made 3 posts up or do they fall under the "there is no info yet on that" banner?

paddyfool
2009-07-21, 12:24 PM
Which of these potential starting party-themes would this setting best support:

1) A group of general-purpose mercs
2) A group of travellers and caravan guards
3) A group of agents of a specific religious faction
4) A group of agents of a specific political faction
5) A group of people who randomly meet in a caravenserai, and who stumble upon a lucrative potential group venture in some nearby ruins.
6) A group of desert bandits
7) A group of semi-legit small traders (think medieval firefly)
8) All of the above?

afroakuma
2009-07-21, 12:46 PM
Desert raiders, bandits and assorted marauding lowlifes!

How common are these kinds of folk?

As common as the DM wants.

What measures does an average trading caravan have to take to protect itself?

There are no answers I could give that would be any more interesting or unique than what one typically expects.

Are any members of any particular race more common than others in bandit/raider gangs?

Not that I can think of.

Is there a Bandit King/Queen?

No idea.

Are there any notable hives of scum and villainy bandit run cities?

Probably.

Also, I have the impression that there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. Up untill now I was assuming that the Dvernin, while distant, where actually going to be somewhat fleshed out in the setting book. This made them one of the more mysterious parts of the setting as we know it, and thus I was curious about them. However, now I´m getting the impression that the full extent of fleshing out that these guys are getting is more or less "Viking Dwarves who live a a hell of a long way away. They have a god."

In that case I´m no longer curious to get extra info on them because there is obviously none.

Well, there's slightly more information than that, but for all intents and purposes, they're nothing more than myths and crazy explorer stories in your average game. Which is their purpose.

Which of these potential starting party-themes would this setting best support:

1) A group of general-purpose mercs
2) A group of travellers and caravan guards
3) A group of agents of a specific religious faction
4) A group of agents of a specific political faction
5) A group of people who randomly meet in a caravenserai, and who stumble upon a lucrative potential group venture in some nearby ruins.
6) A group of desert bandits
7) A group of semi-legit small traders (think medieval firefly)
8) All of the above?

I'd say the political one would be toughest. Other than that, most of them would work really easily.

Athaniar
2009-07-21, 01:31 PM
The thing is, some people (myself included) are interested in esoteric background material, i.e. just the things an average player won't encounter. There are many reasons, one of them (for me) is an interest in exotic and unusual cultures.

afroakuma
2009-07-21, 01:34 PM
The thing is, some people (myself included) are interested in esoteric background material, i.e. just the things an average player won't encounter. There are many reasons, one of them (for me) is an interest in exotic and unusual cultures.

...which is why they were included in the first place.

That said, in practical terms I can't think of any question on them that I'd be willing to answer that isn't covered by "blond Norse dwarves on the South Pole." Actually, I can think of little of interest about them that isn't covered by that.

Any questions that don't pertain to the dvernin?

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-21, 04:31 PM
Nice avi, Afro ^_^

- What's the most common method of waging war, without readily available magic? Marching armies across deserts is a serious logistics problem...

- Are ghuls an organized faction, or just a 'species' of monster?

afroakuma
2009-07-21, 06:35 PM
Nice avi, Afro ^_^

Why thank you! I decided to participate in Greek/Roman mythology week, and there was only one (male) deity that seemed to fit. Props to Serpentine for the awesomeness. :smallcool:

- What's the most common method of waging war, without readily available magic? Marching armies across deserts is a serious logistics problem...

You see now why it's not so common.

Whatever mundane, utterly non-supernatural way was used in ancient Egypt, India and Arabia. That way. I don't know what that way is.

- Are ghuls an organized faction, or just a 'species' of monster?

Just a species of monster. They'd rip each other to shreds if they ever banded together.

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-22, 03:49 PM
Anyone got any 4e questions? I've got most of the crunchiness done, and I might leak a monster's statblock soon, with permission, of course.

blackspeeker
2009-07-22, 05:08 PM
Sadly I'm not a 4e player, so I can't help you out, but I've been wondering as a player who loves city based campaigns/adventures, what sort of dangers, whether it be monsters or organizations or random jerks on the streets would we face in the various cities in HoZ?

If this has been asked before I'm sorry I haven't followed this since the initial voting stages.

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-23, 05:55 AM
Okay, 4e questions:

Were there any rituals (other than the obvious planar rituals) that needed banning?

How many rituals needed creating for the setting?

How many new paragon paths and epic destinies have been made for the setting?

Was there any perceived need to create new mechanics for the 4e side of the game?

Did the release of new books since the start of the project increase/decrease your workload at all?

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 07:42 AM

Three and three; you voted on this.

Shadow may add more in an expansion after release, but those would be outside the prerogative of the setting proper.

Was there any perceived need to create new mechanics for the 4e side of the game?

Apparently, since he did.

paddyfool
2009-07-23, 11:44 AM
Another question kind of in line with my last one, which I think I kind of already know the answer to: Of the following types of campaigns, which would have lots of pertinent fancy new stuff built for them in this setting's main release, and which not so much?

1) Hack & slash campaigns (monsters, monstrous NPCs etc.)
2) Horror campaigns (anything really scary and creepy)
3) Dungeon-crawling classic (monsters, traps)
4) Urban intrigue (city descriptions, political groups, religious groups)
5) War! (Not really sure what would be new here... war machines, novel warlike use of magic?)
6) Guerrilla war/revolution (not much I can think of that would be specific to this... same as urban intrigue plus wilderness descriptions, perhaps)
7) Exploration of new worlds (new worlds to explore with which the PCs are not familiar... which pretty much means Najmah, or the other continents, I suppose)
8) Long-running, world spanning, ultimately world-in-balance build up to climactic battle with ultimate doom (pretty much the kind of thing Afro built into the outcome of VUAV X... waitaminute, could that thing find Siraaj?)

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 11:47 AM
Another question kind of in line with my last one, which I think I kind of already know the answer to: Of the following types of campaigns, which would have lots of pertinent fancy new stuff built for them in this setting's main release, and which not so much?

1) Hack & slash campaigns (monsters, monstrous NPCs etc.)
2) Horror campaigns (anything really scary and creepy)
3) Dungeon-crawling classic (monsters, traps)
4) Urban intrigue (city descriptions, political groups, religious groups)
5) War! (Not really sure what would be new here... war machines, novel warlike use of magic?)
6) Guerrilla war/revolution (not much I can think of that would be specific to this... same as urban intrigue plus wilderness descriptions, perhaps)
7) Exploration of new worlds (new worlds to explore with which the PCs are not familiar... which pretty much means Najmah, or the other continents, I suppose)
8) Long-running, world spanning, ultimately world-in-balance build up to climactic battle with ultimate doom (pretty much the kind of thing Afro built into the outcome of VUAV X... waitaminute, could that thing find Siraaj?)

Most of them, in short. Kind of iffy on number 4...

Athaniar
2009-07-23, 12:07 PM
What kind of Ultimate Doom can the PCs Climactically Battle with? Johoum? Dandan?

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 01:11 PM
Well, I suppose that's one option.

Alteran
2009-07-23, 01:30 PM
Well, I suppose that's one option.

Two options. You suppose those are two options. :smallwink: Serves you right for not highlighting every bit of text in these threads. Well, unless you just ignored that part.

paddyfool
2009-07-23, 01:41 PM

I don't see that as too much of a problem for such campaigns. Most DMs wouldn't want players having too much out-of-game information about the secret inner goings-on of Big City X before starting such a campaign anyway. A few flavourish descriptions of variants on "big city in an arabian nights-themed post-post-apocalyptic world inhabited by various forms of humanoid and genie, and threatened by foul magics and demon cults" should be plenty to enable this :-).

Zeta Kai
2009-07-23, 02:05 PM

There will be more than enough for urban intrigue, at least in the City of God.

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 02:09 PM
Two options. You suppose those are two options. :smallwink:

No. :smallannoyed: No I do not.

If Dandan is mentioned again, I will remove him from the setting.

By ANYONE, for ANY reason, AT ALL.

This is SERIOUSLY the kind of mood I am in right now.

Do NOT push me.

:annoyed:

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 02:18 PM
Now that that unpleasant bit of business is out of the way, let us move on.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-23, 02:34 PM
If Dandan is mentioned again, I will remove him from the setting.

By ANYONE, for ANY reason, AT ALL.

This is SERIOUSLY the kind of mood I am in right now.

Do NOT push me.

Please don't break my spokesman, people. :smalleek: He's the only one I have, & he's fragile.

Who wants to know about the Monstrous Humanoids in our setting?

Alteran
2009-07-23, 02:42 PM
...is Afroakuma secretly Cas? Okay, sorry. I won't speak of it again.

Hmm, other topics. Is there anything that was particularly frustrating for you to homebrew? Something that just wouldn't fit together the way you wanted it to? This question is for any and all build team members.

Szilard
2009-07-23, 02:46 PM

Who doesn't?

Athaniar
2009-07-23, 02:57 PM

A better question would be who doesn't want to hear about them. I'd be surprised is anyone raised their hands to that.

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 03:07 PM
Is there anything that was particularly frustrating for you to homebrew?

Ohhhhhhh yes. :smalltongue:

Alteran
2009-07-23, 03:08 PM
Ohhhhhhh yes. :smalltongue:

*sigh*

Right, of course.
Worth a shot, at least?
What was it?

blackspeeker
2009-07-23, 03:52 PM

So can I take this as the reason my question wasn't answered?

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 04:00 PM
So can I take this as the reason my question wasn't answered?

Yep. Pretty much.

paddyfool
2009-07-23, 04:30 PM
I'd love to ask more about the City of God, but I've a certain suspicion my questions would have already been answered some way back in these threads...

So, on monstrous humanoids (and please feel free, as ever, to disregard any questions you find particularly boring or irritating): how many entirely new ones are there? How many reworked ones? Which is the creepiest, which the most likely to trip up unwary parties, and which the plain orneriest? How much friendly participation is there by them in the civilisations of the humanoid races, how much petty thieving & raiding, and how much out-and-out hostility? Which is your personal favourite?

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-23, 04:37 PM
Okay, 4e questions:

Yay!!

Were there any rituals (other than the obvious planar rituals) that needed banning?

Other than the obvious planar ones? I don't believe so. The obvious ones are things like "Astral Sojourn" and "Shadow Walk", due to the lack of the relevant planes. I think I will leave the banning of "Planar Portal" up to individual DMs, depending on how much Siraaj/Najmah contact they want in their own campaigns.

How many rituals needed creating for the setting?

I'm not sure yet. Once I finish with monsters and editing my races/AdvClasses, then I shall move on to converting 3.5e's new rituals.

As afro said, you voted on this :smalltongue:. Three and Three respectively indeed. And I will be making a whole bunch as bonus content post-release.

I can't resist an opportunity to make a new mechanic! I was originally going to make three new ones, Metamagic (much broader than 3.5e metamagic though), to reflect the versatility that mages are demanded of, since they are in short supply, a Curse mechanic, and a Domains mechanic, since Afro was making so many new domains for 3.5e, I felt it couldn't be left out. However, Wizards of the Coast ninja'd me with Divine Power before I could get to work on it.

Did the release of new books since the start of the project increase/decrease your workload at all?

See above. Divine Power did Domains for me, but I still have to make the custom ones for this setting work in 4e, once I get my hands on someone else' Divine Power (or contract someone with the book to do the new domains for me :smalltongue:).

Thanks for all the questions!

Athaniar
2009-07-23, 04:42 PM
Will the supplements be small or sized more like D&D supplement books?

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 05:26 PM
Hey, don't look at us. That's Shadow's province.

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-23, 05:47 PM
Does the 3.5 team have any future plans for supplements? Vote Up a Supplement, maybe?

Afro, I love you. Will you marry me?

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 05:49 PM
Does the 3.5 team have any future plans for supplements? Vote Up a Supplement, maybe?

Nope.

Afro, I love you. Will you marry me?

What did I do this time?

LordZarth
2009-07-23, 06:11 PM
I was going to ask that, actually. What is the likelihood of supplements such as:

To existing races
Of organizations
Of adventures
To cities or places
To character options
To the Dvernin, Pahari, or any groups not fleshed out in the release
To continents out of the SOF

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 06:14 PM
I was going to ask that, actually. What is the likelihood of supplements such as:

To existing races

Zero.

Of organizations

Non-zero.

Of adventures

Non-zero.

To cities or places

Non-zero.

To character options

Zero.

To the Dvernin, Pahari, or any groups not fleshed out in the release

Zero.

To continents out of the SOF

Non-zero.

Athaniar
2009-07-24, 04:01 PM
Are the "zero" ones forbidden to be touched upon by supplements, or just not schelduled for any time soon?

Zeta Kai
2009-07-24, 04:32 PM
Are the "zero" ones forbidden to be touched upon by supplements, or just not schelduled for any time soon?

They aren't specifically banned, but they have a sub-zero priority. We can only do what we can do, & no more.

EDIT: Maybe, after the project is completed & posted, we'll hold a vote for the bonus material that people wanna see most. It'll be a while from now, so let's not concern ourselves with this too much right now. It's just an interesting thought.

afroakuma
2009-07-24, 11:36 PM
Important Notice

Due to an unfortunate medical issue, I will be unable to perform my ordinary MC and public relations duties from Monday, July 27th until (most likely) Monday August 3rd. Yes, this has slowed the project noticeably. No, I am not happy about this.

On a similar but much happier note, due to some large-scale personal reorganizing in Zeta's life, he too will be on reduced notice (but still more sporadically than I) for a similar period.

Rest assured, Shadow will still be around (unless I later hear otherwise... :smalleek:) and I'll be here until Sunday night to answer any questions or check over comments and complaints.

paddyfool
2009-07-25, 09:06 AM
I'd love to ask more about the City of God, but So, on monstrous humanoids (and please feel free, as ever, to disregard any questions you find particularly boring or irritating): how many entirely new ones are there? How many reworked ones? Which is the creepiest, which the most likely to trip up unwary parties, and which the plain orneriest? How much friendly participation is there by them in the civilisations of the humanoid races, how much petty thieving & raiding, and how much out-and-out hostility? Which is your personal favourite?

Incidentally - any answers to this?

afroakuma
2009-07-25, 10:19 AM
on monstrous humanoids (and please feel free, as ever, to disregard any questions you find particularly boring or irritating): how many entirely new ones are there?

Three

How many reworked ones?

Three, doubled. Depends on what you consider the desert centaur to be, though.

Which is the creepiest

She-da-zhong.

which the most likely to trip up unwary parties

Aazlai are probably tougher than parties will give them credit for, and desert centaurs with barbarian levels will be a real pain.

and which the plain orneriest?

Vulture harpy.

How much friendly participation is there by them in the civilisations of the humanoid races

As a whole? Little. Desert centaurs are known to trade with local cultures. Aazlai are friendly enough, but too nomadic or remote to really get ingrained in any area.

how much petty thieving & raiding

Some, but that's usually just the harpies.

and how much out-and-out hostility?

She-da-zhong seem to exist to make life brutal and short for humanoid civilization.

Which is your personal favourite?

Honestly? I don't have one.

paddyfool
2009-07-25, 03:08 PM
Thank you :smallsmile:

afroakuma
2009-07-25, 03:48 PM
You're quite welcome.

Don't anybody miss the news posted above.

SwordGoddess
2009-07-25, 06:21 PM
Oy, yeah, just now saw it today. Hope there's nothing too serious and everything works out fine.

I can't quite think of anything to ask about the campaign world...seems like everyone's beaten me to it. Ah, I'll think of something later, hopefully.

In any case, great work on everything we've seen thus far. :smallwink:

afroakuma
2009-07-25, 10:02 PM
Oy, yeah, just now saw it today. Hope there's nothing too serious and everything works out fine.

Ah, it should. It's not for my head, right hand or butt, so at the end of the day I'll still be able to think, type and sit. Just another monumental delay at a time when I did not need one. It's really wrecked the whole month, honestly.

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-26, 12:57 AM
I'm still here! Well, until July 30th, at which point I am gone until August 5th without Internet access :smallfrown:. However, its possible I weasel my way out of leaving the city, because I might just miss my computer too much :smallwink:.

afroakuma
2009-07-26, 08:20 AM
Wow. So all three of us will be down at the same time. :smalleek:

Szilard
2009-07-26, 10:11 AM
*Volunteers*
Prepares for immediate head chopping.

afroakuma
2009-07-26, 10:20 AM
Anyways, this is the last day I'll be around for a while. Any further last-minute business?

Szilard
2009-07-26, 10:25 AM
How much of the world(s/planes/whatever) has been mapped out?

LordZarth
2009-07-26, 11:15 AM
How much of the world(s/planes/whatever) has been mapped out?

Liek, OMG soo much.

But honestly, I'm pretty sure we've seen world maps of both planes, interplanar maps, specialized maps of planes... the works.

Szilard
2009-07-26, 11:23 AM
I must have missed those then.:smallredface:

afroakuma
2009-07-26, 08:21 PM
Alright, ladies and gents, this is my formal signoff from MCing on this thread until such time as I am fit to return. Feel free to continue discussion of the project without me.

Alteran
2009-07-26, 11:19 PM
Alright, ladies and gents, this is my formal signoff from MCing on this thread until such time as I am fit to return. Feel free to continue discussion of the project without me.

It's been more than a day since you posted this, and we have no new posts? What will we do without you, Afro? :smallfrown:

So...sorry to hear about your difficulties Afro, have fun Zeta and Shadow? That pretty much right? Afro, try to have fun anyway. :smallsmile:

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-27, 09:48 AM
It's been more than a day since you posted this, and we have no new posts? What will we do without you, Afro? :smallfrown:

So...sorry to hear about your difficulties Afro, have fun Zeta and Shadow? That pretty much right? Afro, try to have fun anyway. :smallsmile:

I'm still here for a few days! I doubt I could do what afro does, since for some reason I just don't have access to all the stacks of fluff he does. He probably showed me where he's stashing it, I just can't remember :smalltongue:.

However, I can try my best with my somewhat limited/general fluff knowledge. And, of course, 4e questions are always welcome!

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-27, 09:55 AM
Okay, I'll bite - what do your new mechanics cover?

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-27, 11:03 AM
Okay, I'll bite - what do your new mechanics cover?

Much obliged. The first mechanic covers very extensive metamagic, including lighting spells on fire, electrifying spells, casting spells subtly, casting invisible spells and casting multiplied and enlarge spells. The second mechanic covers Cursing, which is very different from 4e's Warlock's Curse. It involves putting every ounce of supernatural hatred into a series of words, and can cause enemies to fail at mundane tasks and prevent them from recovering from more deadly effects.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-30, 12:53 PM
For the record, if anyone has any questions for the Build Team regarding fluff or 3E matters, I'm still watching this thread daily. My methods of communication are limited, but I'm not dead. I'm just moving to my new house, which is like death, only slower & more painful.

Inquisitors should've made heretics help them move instead of burning them at the stake. It would've been a crueler fate, but a more productive one. :smallsigh:

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-31, 06:57 AM
Inquisitors should've made heretics help them move instead of burning them at the stake. It would've been a crueler fate, but a more productive one. :smallsigh:

Will this concept be inserted into the setting in any way?

Zeta Kai
2009-07-31, 07:56 AM
Will this concept be inserted into the setting in any way?

Well, that was intended to be an offhanded joke in regards to my RL tribulations, & the exact wording (Inquisitors & Stake-burning) are rather European for our setting, but religious persecution is not unknown in the worlds of the Kamala. Certain aspects & their respective churches are philosophically opposed to one another, some quite vehemently so. Also, the concepts of zealotry, unilateralism, & infidels are widespread here; just like in real life. :smallsigh:

Mercenary Pen
2009-07-31, 08:27 AM
Okay, to clarify (since I think we already had the whole religious war/philosophical opposition thing), is the idea of forcing your religious enemies to work for you (in whatever way seems appropriate) going to find its way into the setting?

Voldecanter
2009-07-31, 04:22 PM
I tried to look up the map for this setting in the first thread , and while looking , found that the map image no longer works ; is there any possible way to see the map now ?

Zeta Kai
2009-08-04, 12:05 PM
Okay, to clarify (since I think we already had the whole religious war/philosophical opposition thing), is the idea of forcing your religious enemies to work for you (in whatever way seems appropriate) going to find its way into the setting?

Not as a major element of the setting, no. There may be some mentionings of various opposed factions working together toward a common goal on a limited basis, but nothing more substantial. Why do you ask?

I tried to look up the map for this setting in the first thread , and while looking , found that the map image no longer works ; is there any possible way to see the map now ?

In my beatific benevolence, I shall again reveal the primary maps (both for Siraaj & Najmah) here. Beware, those who violate my privacy & go trolling through my Photobucket account risk incuring the wrath of a certain Afro-sporting spokesdemon. You have been warned.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZSiraaj10.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZNajmah4.jpg

Shadow_Elf
2009-08-04, 01:04 PM
I'm back, if anyone cares :smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2009-08-04, 01:16 PM
I care! If you'll give us anything new, that is.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-04, 05:58 PM
I'm back, if anyone cares :smallbiggrin:

I care, regardless of the freebies you may (or may not) dish out.

The Build Team is 2/3rds back!

afroakuma
2009-08-05, 11:17 PM
Better make that 3/3, Zeta...

I'm BACK!!!

Thank you, thank you. Thread awesomeness can now resume.

AstralFire
2009-08-05, 11:18 PM
Nice to see you again; I trust the surgery went well?

afroakuma
2009-08-05, 11:41 PM
I don't. Thankfully, I get a lovely little follow-up tomorrow. Today, really, for EST or above. Hopefully in the near future I will once again be hopping mad, and not simply hopping. :smallannoyed:

Zeta Kai
2009-08-06, 09:37 AM
I'm BACK!!!

Welcome back, my spokesmonster. I'm glad that you've been busy while you were gone. The awesomeness may indeed resume. :smallcool:

afroakuma
2009-08-06, 09:54 AM
Alright folks, now that I've been reconfirmed to office, let us see a salvo of questions!

Mercenary Pen
2009-08-06, 10:20 AM
Okay, first and most important question, what (apart from protohistory) are still considered 'no go' areas?

This might influence what questions we ask, and could potentially save the build team a bit of hassle on their respective returns to the project...

afroakuma
2009-08-06, 10:52 AM
Okay, first and most important question, what (apart from protohistory) are still considered 'no go' areas?

Zihaja, the stupid fish, the other stupid fish, flora and fauna, and anything mentioned in the contract you sign by looking at the maps. I think that's everything.

Lappy9000
2009-08-06, 01:26 PM
Zihaja, the stupid fish, the other stupid fish, flora and fauna, and anything mentioned in the contract you sign by looking at the maps. I think that's everything.Don't forget the stupid time-telling object.

afroakuma
2009-08-06, 01:31 PM
I doubt anyone will ever let me forget the stupid time-telling object.

That said, I have not.

paddyfool
2009-08-06, 01:32 PM
Welcome back! I hope these operations go well, and that you get through them soon. I wish I could say I had some questions about the setting, but I'm pretty much just waiting to see the final version. Should I check back in a few weeks? :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-08-06, 01:53 PM
You should, yes.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-07, 10:39 AM
AA & SE, please check HQ for my detailed analysis of our progress on this entire project. Once you've both seen it, the percentage figure can be made public.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-07, 05:22 PM
After consulting with the rest of the team, I have authorization to release our progress report. So far, we've got:

60% COMPLETE!

It's actually 60.375%, by my reckoning, but we'll round down for safety. :smallamused: That figue represents what is in the can & ready to post, & most of that is crunch. The fluff still needs to be put into just the right words, but conceptually, that's rather complete, as well. We hope to have the entire project done & posted by September. We'll see.

Any questions? Comments? Rants?

afroakuma
2009-08-07, 05:28 PM
Any questions? Comments? Rants?

Ooh! Ooh! Do I get to rant?

Llama231
2009-08-07, 06:25 PM
60.375%

This makes me think that there must be lots of stuff that is being counted toward the % done.

?: What has not been asked about? I still think Dan is a Salmon.

Oh, and September 2009?

afroakuma
2009-08-07, 07:14 PM
A warning for Llama231 and his clever white text.

What has not been asked about? Even I don't have that precise a memory.

And yes, September 2009.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-08, 12:05 PM
This makes me think that there must be lots of stuff that is being counted toward the % done.

We have 10 chapters, each with several sub-sections, which vary in terms of completion from "roughly conceptualized" to "polished, edited, vBulletin-formatted, & ready to post".

afroakuma
2009-08-08, 12:40 PM
...at least, as far as Zeta knows. Someone else on the build team might have more concept work lingering around that hasn't been shined up yet...

Juhn
2009-08-10, 07:58 AM
60% complete, and you're hoping to ship in a month?

Well, this project's always been nothing if not ambitious.

afroakuma
2009-08-10, 08:10 AM

60% that he knows about. :smallamused:

Remember, that 60% is almost all of the necessary crunch. Fluff is much easier, since I've been basically writing it since the first question was asked.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-10, 08:20 AM

Crunch is hard. Good crunch is even harder. Balanced, fun, well-polished crunch that has to stand up to a self-described autocratic perfectionist... well, that crap takes time. But most of the hard stuff is behind us (which is why we tackled it first), so we can kick into high gear & hopefull ship this out before the project turns a year old. Wish us luck.

Now, who wants a leak? Anyone? Whaddya want? A monster? A spell? A magic item? I got plenty.

Hyozo
2009-08-10, 08:26 AM
I'd like to see a new spell. One for Bards perhaps? Of course, anything else is good too, but I don't think I've seen much for bards.

Athaniar
2009-08-10, 01:37 PM
Personally, I'd like to see more monsters.

puppyavenger
2009-08-10, 02:00 PM
A unique monster or important NPC would be very interesting.

Alteran
2009-08-10, 02:51 PM

Agreed. whitetext

Athaniar
2009-08-10, 03:25 PM
Also agreed.

afroakuma
2009-08-10, 03:30 PM

Yyyyyeahno. That's not happening. I have none of the latter and only one of the former, and I refuse to let that start again.

Thane of Fife
2009-08-10, 03:54 PM
I'd like to see just a regular monster. Or, failing that, some new feats, maybe.

puppyavenger
2009-08-10, 04:39 PM
Yyyyyeahno. That's not happening. I have none of the latter and only one of the former, and I refuse to let that start again.

okay, just a high-CR monster in that case please.

afroakuma
2009-08-10, 06:13 PM
I'll leave it to Zeta, since the monsters are his baby and also since I'm likely to do something sarcastic. :smallwink:

Zeta Kai
2009-08-10, 06:42 PM
Alright, then I'll have everyone vote for a CR (between 1 & 20), & I'll pick a monster that's very close (within 1 CR of the winner). Please put your vote in bold.

{table=head]CR|Votes
1|
2|
3|
4|3
5|
6|
7|
8|
9|
10|
11|1
12|
13|
14|
15|
16|
17|4
18|
19|
20|
[/table]

blackspeeker
2009-08-10, 06:59 PM
17 A good high number, sounds fun.

Thane of Fife
2009-08-10, 07:35 PM
I like the stuff that actually sees use:

puppyavenger
2009-08-10, 08:06 PM
I'll go with 17 as well.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-11, 05:27 AM
So far, I have two votes for 17 & one for 4. Anyone else wanna make their voice heard? Anyone else wanna piss off my spokesbeast while he can't walk to your hometown? You better vote quickly, because he's on the mend.

Hyozo
2009-08-11, 06:44 AM
I'll second the 4, partly to force a tie, partly because I also want something that will actually be used in a campaign.

Athaniar
2009-08-11, 07:02 AM
I'll break it with 17, then. I like my creatures powerful.

blackspeeker
2009-08-11, 09:08 AM
I'll second the 4, partly to force a tie, partly because I also want something that will actually be used in a campaign.

What? No one does high level campaigns?

paddyfool
2009-08-11, 09:10 AM
I'll make a (probably futile) attempt to derail both bandwagons with a middle-ground 11

Hyozo
2009-08-11, 09:28 AM
What? No one does high level campaigns?

In 3.5? Certainly not me. As much as I like options, the flood of them available at higher levels strain my mind to the point where I inevitably think something to the effect of "Screw it, my calculus homework is easier and I'll actually get something out of it."

afroakuma
2009-08-11, 11:43 AM
And now for something completely different:

An Interactive Fantasizing Experience

Rules

• Step 1

Activate the music link and let it swish around in your brainspace.

• Step 2

Click on the image links in order, but take any amount of time to contemplate them.

• Step 3

Now contemplate yourself playing in the world you imagine, with the prompting of the imagery and music.

Ready?

Mood Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKctPewO7Y)

Storyteller (http://www.shweir.com/images/Jabbour_Arabian_Night.JPG)

Painting of Najmah (http://blog.lib.umn.edu/raim0007/gwss1001/arabian_nights.jpg)

A sendoff for a journey (http://www.smartdestinations.com/design/images/orlando/attractions/GoORL-arabiannights.jpg)

A mysterious woman, a mysterious beast (http://www.venesstravelmedia.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ArabianNights.jpg)

An enchanted shrine (http://www.theatrehphs.org/Arabian%20Nights%20One.JPG)

Half-ghul... (http://images.epilogue.net/users/morgorth/vampire.jpg)

Siege... (http://rampantgames.com/blog/uploaded_images/cob_cover-728615.jpg)

A bound servant genie (http://curseofthedjinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/djinn2.jpg)

And another (http://www.kolakisart.com/artemis_gallery/DJINN.jpg)

To market... (http://www.southern-turkey.co.uk/istanbul/images/egyptian_bazaar2.jpg)

...among the wonders of the bazaar (http://z.about.com/d/goasia/1/0/G/y/1/Istanbul-GrandBazaar-JuanRomero.jpg)

A pit stop (http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/dpko/pub/year_review06/images/Sudan_nomadic_tribe.jpg)

...before moving on (http://www.exodus.co.uk/assets/images/trips/fullsize/12293.jpg)

A sorcerer's survey... (http://www.funci.org/en/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/S%C3%A1haraOS001435.jpg)

...or an assassin's strike (http://www.paintermagazine.co.uk/users/4051/thm1024/arabianassassin_final.jpg)

From the wild free desert... (http://art4linux.org/system/files/desert-1280x1024.jpg)

...to the mythical oceans of night... (http://www.mattbess.com/3dartwork/uploads/NightOcean800.jpg)

...the paths and cracks between the worlds... (http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub_test/00/69/65/slideshow_265690_WhiteSandsNM.jpg)

...and the wonders built by those who live there... (http://www.alohamaldives.com/Restate/Images/scan0013.jpg)

The worlds of Kamala await you

vegetalss4
2009-08-11, 12:01 PM
And now for something completely different:

Rules

• Step 1

Activate the music link and let it swish around in your brainspace.

• Step 2

Click on the image links in order, but take any amount of time to contemplate them.

• Step 3

Now contemplate yourself playing in the world you imagine, with the prompting of the imagery and music.

Ready?

Mood Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKctPewO7Y)

Storyteller (http://www.shweir.com/images/Jabbour_Arabian_Night.JPG)

Painting of Najmah (http://blog.lib.umn.edu/raim0007/gwss1001/arabian_nights.jpg)

A sendoff for a journey (http://www.smartdestinations.com/design/images/orlando/attractions/GoORL-arabiannights.jpg)

A mysterious woman, a mysterious beast (http://www.venesstravelmedia.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ArabianNights.jpg)

An enchanted shrine (http://www.theatrehphs.org/Arabian%20Nights%20One.JPG)

Half-ghul... (http://images.epilogue.net/users/morgorth/vampire.jpg)

Siege... (http://rampantgames.com/blog/uploaded_images/cob_cover-728615.jpg)

A bound servant genie (http://curseofthedjinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/djinn2.jpg)

And another (http://www.kolakisart.com/artemis_gallery/DJINN.jpg)

To market... (http://www.southern-turkey.co.uk/istanbul/images/egyptian_bazaar2.jpg)

...among the wonders of the bazaar (http://z.about.com/d/goasia/1/0/G/y/1/Istanbul-GrandBazaar-JuanRomero.jpg)

A pit stop (http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/dpko/pub/year_review06/images/Sudan_nomadic_tribe.jpg)

...before moving on (http://www.exodus.co.uk/assets/images/trips/fullsize/12293.jpg)

A sorcerer's survey... (http://www.funci.org/en/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/S%C3%A1haraOS001435.jpg)

...or an assassin's strike (http://www.paintermagazine.co.uk/users/4051/thm1024/arabianassassin_final.jpg)

From the wild free desert... (http://art4linux.org/system/files/desert-1280x1024.jpg)

...to the mythical oceans of night... (http://www.mattbess.com/3dartwork/uploads/NightOcean800.jpg)

...the paths and cracks between the worlds... (http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub_test/00/69/65/slideshow_265690_WhiteSandsNM.jpg)

...and the wonders built by those who live there... (http://www.alohamaldives.com/Restate/Images/scan0013.jpg)

The worlds of Kamala await you

wow

Alteran
2009-08-11, 03:44 PM

Impressive. I think that really helps to get the feel of the setting, the music certainly helps.

Also, another vote for CR 17.

Athaniar
2009-08-11, 04:03 PM
Great selection of music and images.

SwordGoddess
2009-08-11, 04:37 PM
*comes back from vacationing in Pennsylvania*

*jaw drops at Afro's post*

DO WANT

*ahem*

Also, a vote for CR 4

Vadin
2009-08-11, 06:05 PM
Seeing a CR 4 encounter would be wonderful, if it isn't tooooo much trouble.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-11, 10:20 PM
Samandar

http://www.unpluggedliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/440px-phoenix_force.jpg
3E Material
Huge Magical Beast (Fire)
Hit Dice: 17d10+102 (195HP)
Initiative: +12
Speed: 20’ (4 squares), Fly 150’ (30 squares, average maneuverability)
Armor Class: 24 (-2 size, +8 Dex, +8 natural); touch 16; flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+31
Attack: Talon +21 melee (1d8+6 plus 2d6 fire) or Bite +21 melee (2d6+6 plus 2d6 fire)
Full Attack: 2 Talons +21 melee (1d8+6 plus 2d6 fire) & Bite +16 melee (2d6+3 plus 2d6 fire)
Space/Reach: 15’/10’
Special Attacks: Spell-Like Abilities
Special Qualities: Fire traits, Healing Flames, Magical Beast traits, Rebirth
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +18, Will +9
Abilities: Str 23 (+6), Dex 27 (+8), Con 22 (+6), Int 10 (+0), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 20 (+5)
Skills: Concentration +13, Hide -1, Intimidate +11, Listen +8, Move Silently +15, Spot +10
Feats: Dodge, Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Mobility
Environment: any (Siraaj or Najmah)
Organization: solitary, pair, or conflagration (2-6)
Challenge Rating: 16
Treasure: N/A
Alignment: always Neutral Good
Advancement: 18-34HD (Huge), 35-51HD (Gargantuan), 52-68HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: N/A

Combat
A samandar is a formidable opponent, one that should not be underestimated. Although it is not terribly aggressive, it can be quickly angered if provoked. Also, it will not tolerate any creature trespassing onto its territory, which is usually restricted to its nest & the surrounding mountain top. A samandar will most likely use one of its many fire-based spell-like abilities to subdue opponents. Fire-resistant foes will have a much easier time contending with the beast, but will still have to contend with its talons & bite. If in serious danger, it will not hesitate to retreat & heal itself, to better prepare for another battle later.

Spell-Like Abilities

At Will: aid, burning hands (DC16), cure minor wounds (DC15), flaming sphere (DC17), produce flame, protection from energy (DC18), searing light
3/Day: cure critical wounds (DC19), fire shield, rainbow pattern (DC19), sunbeam (DC22), teleport, wall of fire
1/Day: disintegrate (DC22), fire storm (DC22), incendiary cloud (DC23), regenerate (DC22), true seeing (DC20)
Caster level 15th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Fire traits: A creature with the fire subtype has immunity to fire. It has vulnerability to cold, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

Healing Flames (Su): A samandar can transform the properties of its fiery magic so that it can heal instead of burn. Whenever it casts a spell-like ability with the [Fire] descriptor, it can change the spell’s effects so that it can restore a number of hit points equal to the fire damage that it would normally inflict. Energy resistance &/or immunity apply to this, so any healing is reduced &/or negated appropriately.

Magical Beast traits: All creatures with the Magical Beast type possess the following traits:

Darkvision out to 60’.
Proficient with its natural weapons only.
Proficient with no armor.
Magical Beasts eat, sleep, & breathe.

Rebirth (Su): A samandar can be reborn from its own ashes. If a samandar dies (from any cause), then its body will be consumed in a blaze of fire. Everything within 30’ of its body takes 4d6 points of fire damage (no save allowed), & an egg is formed at the spot. If the adamantine-shelled egg is allowed to, it will hatch within 3d6+12 days, unveiling a brand new samandar. This samandar will have 1HD, & will gain 1HD per week until it is fully grown. Immature samandars cannot use their own Rebirth ability.

Samandar Lore
Characters that have ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) can learn more about samandari. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DC’s.

DC26: “At once both beautiful & fearsome, a real-life phoenix exists far from civilized lands.” A character making this check recalls all magical beast traits & fire traits.
DC31: “Most correctly known as a samandar, this great fiery creature commands many magical powers, most of them fire-based.” A character making this check knows the workings of the samandar spell-like abilities.
DC36: “It is said that not even death will extinguish its flames.” A character making this check remembers the mechanics of Rebirth & Healing Flames.

Samandar Egg

40HP
Hardness: 20
Value: 130,000gp

4E Material
{PENDING}

Diving in from above, an imposing creature suddenly comes into view. It is a great bird, larger than any such beast has any right to be, but that is not what makes it so daunting. It is the fact that the avian being is completely engulfed in flames, as if it were actually made of pure fire. Its eyes blaze as bright as angry suns as it swoops forward.

Some myths are nearly universal in scope. Vampires, dragons, ghosts, & angels are featured in almost every culture, in almost every imaginable form. Another creature of ubiquitous legend is that of the phoenix, a magical bird that rises from its own funeral pyre, born anew. These tales are believed to have been spun from the wondrous behavior of a bird more properly called a Samandar.

The samandar (sah-MAHN-dar) is a mighty-yet-peaceful beast, content to live far from lesser beings. Also known as a Zarqa Leqad (“Fire Bird”), it usually makes its nest on tall snowless mountain peaks, giving locals the erroneous impression that the mountain may actually be a volcano. Having no predators, it will also soar far & wide for suitable prey, often feeding on elephants, karkadans, & immature dragons.

A samandar is about 18’-24’ long, with a 36’-48’ wingspan, & weighs around 1½-2 tons. On the rare occasions when they actually speak, they use either Common or, more often, Archaic.

{3 Plot Hooks}

Reverent-One
2009-08-11, 10:41 PM
4E Material
{PENDING}

:smallfrown:

Other than that, it looks good.

afroakuma
2009-08-11, 11:05 PM
Well, you can always go use the IFE above to occupy you. :smallwink: