PDA

View Full Version : Comics / Redhead Correlation FOR SCIENCE!

TSED
2009-06-08, 08:21 PM
Are you:
1) Into comics?
and
2) Into redheads?

If you do not supply information to the contrary, I will assume you are a heterosexual male (or heterosexual female if your gender-icon is female). If you do supply said information, I will make adjustments. There are separate categories in the talleys. Your actual gender is irrelevant, just your preference. I will not bother to look up your profile unless you specifically ask me to, so unless it is in your signature or something... Yeah. Additionally, feel free to PM me if you don't want the information to be available to the public. I will talley the result, send off a 'thanks, tallied' reply and delete it without looking at your name.

This is not a terribly rigorous survey, but your honesty is appreciated. Do not feel pressured to give information you do not want to give. Participation is entirely voluntary.

Because of a link from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112872) I suddenly wondered if there is any correlation between being 'into' comics and being 'into' redheads. This small survey is an attempt to satisfy said curiousity.

I shall talley results occasionally at my own leisure, even from outside-of-OotS sources, ie: friends, mostly.

Results!

Yes, Yes, likes females:

Yes, No, likes females:

No, No, likes females:

No, Yes, likes females:

Yes, Yes, likes males:

Yes, No, likes males:

No, No, likes males:

No, Yes, likes males:

Yes, Yes, likes both:

Yes, No, likes both:

No, No, likes both:

No, Yes, likes both:

Starscream
2009-06-08, 08:44 PM
Are you:
1) Into comics?
and
2) Into redheads?

Yes and yes. Once had a day long debate with someone in high school about which Batman villainess was hotter, Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn. I thought the redhead, he thought the blonde.

It escalated throughout multiple classes. In the end we actually held an election. We printed out pictures of the choices (along with Catwoman and Talia as control groups) and wandered the halls whenever possible taking votes from our fellow students (and a few teachers).

Ivy won, Catwoman got second, Harley was third and Talia's primary response was "Who?". So apparently the love of comic book redheads is fairly common.

Edit:
Incidentally, Ivy was almost as popular among the female students as the male ones. I think this warrants bonus points for the sheer hotness factor.

Winter_Wolf
2009-06-08, 10:19 PM
1) Sometimes.

2) Not really.

My yen for comics is on the wane, but I'll still get into a good story once in a while. My interest in redheads has dropped significantly over the years, and significantly faster than my interest in comics.

Trizap
2009-06-08, 10:21 PM
1: yes

2: yes

Serpentine
2009-06-08, 11:59 PM
My interest in redheads has dropped significantly over the years, and significantly faster than my interest in comics.Ah, but how do you know it's significant? Did you do a 2-way T-test which obtained P </= 0.05 for "negative change in interest (redheads) over time" and "negative change in interest (comics) over time"? :smalltongue:

FoE
2009-06-09, 12:09 AM
Yes

and

Yes

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-06-09, 12:12 AM
Double yes here, too.

TSED
2009-06-09, 12:14 AM
I am posting here to remind myself where the cut-off from last update was.

Thank you for your participation!

And Winter_Wolf, I put you as Yes/No. "Sometimes" is hard to decipher. If you'd prefer no/no, feel free to comment.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-09, 12:25 AM
Mostly Webcomics, haven't read a (print) comic book in forever

and

Oh my Goddess, yes!

((Don't let the gender icon fool you. I am a heterosexual male.))

Coidzor
2009-06-09, 12:29 AM
Starscream: But how did you control for the fact that Ivy is there to sell sex as part of her villainy? (though she really could've chosen a better name for that, as only a dumbass would willingly be tempted to do anything with poison ivy, as it's not even pretty. /boyscouts training&dad with rural upbringing) Harley's sexuality is... incidental and mostly due to the obligatory nature of comics and female characters. Unless I've missed out on quite a bit involving her and sultriness.

In answer to the survey: I do enjoy what little I've experienced of comics, although I have not really sunk much money into the hobby, so make of it what you will.

I do however have a major preference for redheads, to the point where it saddens me to see unattractive redheads, especially since it seems like redheaded guys... suffer for it a lot of the time.

I'm a heterosexual male though, so that's mostly out of a regret that breeding redheads together to produce more of them for the rest of us would probably be even more difficult due to potential attractiveness issues leading to an increased risk of inbreeding...

Ahh, sheer number of hurdles that one has to circumvent, the surest solution to supervillainy...

Ahem... so... Yes/YES. I guess.

...Oh, do webcomics count? Then YES/YES ::smallbiggrin::

arguskos
2009-06-09, 12:31 AM
Comics? Yes, when I can, which isn't frequently. I prefer the lore to the actual comics themselves.

Redheads? Can I get a "hell yes"?

Oh, and if gender preference matters, I'll take male or female, though I prefer red hair on females more than males.

Starscream
2009-06-09, 01:04 AM
Starscream: But how did you control for the fact that Ivy is there to sell sex as part of her villainy?

Well, while she may have started out as a vamp (she was initially modeled after Bettie Page), that aspect of her personality has been toned down a bit in recent years. She's actually rather more misanthropic than most, and is much more likely to simply kill people than do the whole pheromone thing.

I don't think she is portrayed as being any more "sexy" than most villainesses these days. As a whole both male and female comic book characters are much more aware of sexuality than they used to be, and while she might have been scandalous back in the day, now she's just a nut.

Harley's sexuality is... incidental and mostly due to the obligatory nature of comics and female characters. Unless I've missed out on quite a bit involving her and sultriness.

*Ahem* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSNUL2hrQM)

MisterSaturnine
2009-06-09, 01:06 AM
Comics, yes. Redheads, also yes (much to my chagrin for personal reasons).

Odd.

Vuzzmop
2009-06-09, 01:16 AM
Comics? Yes. Redheads? Yes. Women in general? Yes.

golentan
2009-06-09, 02:23 AM
Put me down for "No, Yes, Likes both" kindly.

I don't enjoy comics very much (I read Watchmen, and used to read a couple of batman serials when I was a kid) but was turned off by some of the messages. The heros are brave and handsome, but are invulnerable to lasting harm from the villains (with a few exceptions), gain powers not generally through merit but merely chance, and those that are unpowered or develop their own shtick are generally fabulously wealthy and getting by on the toys that nobody else can afford. The iron age type things where it is a normal guy, they lose any sort of humanity that would make me retain respect and caring for the characters. So I moved on.

But redheads are hot.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-09, 07:18 AM
1) Depends on the comic

2) Depends on the redhead

With regards to 2, what other result are you expecting than either 'Yes' or 'Sometimes'? How many people do you really expect to say "No matter how physically attractive X is, I am not attracted to them because they are a redhead, and I will never be attracted to any redhead even if they are so staggeringly beautiful people weep with rapturous joy when they walk past, or so amazingly sexy passerby have been known to spontaneously combust."

Quality is the all-important factor, and it's not addressed in the survey.

Eldan
2009-06-09, 07:26 AM
Gee...
Well, I would probably be into comics if I could get them. I mean, I only started reading them a few years ago. (Well, unless you count the Donald Duck/Mickey Mouse comics they sell here, I loved them as a kid). So far, I've only read Sandman, Lucifer and Watchmen and liked 3/3, thought that might not be representative. I read a lot of webcomics, though.

So, just put me down for Yes/Yes. Well, the second yes is relative too, as the poster above me noted. Hair colour alone is really not the only factor, not even a major one.

Castaras
2009-06-09, 07:28 AM
Yes, and no. (girl who likes guys)

While male redheads can look hawt, most don't, and I personally find I'm more commonly attracted to brown and black hair.

Set
2009-06-09, 08:01 AM
Yes and No.

Love comics. Don't care either way about redheads. Some are hot, some are not, but this gentleman prefers dark hair.

But I really don't like the appearance of *fake* redheads. Too many girls with perfectly awesome black or brunette hair dye (or tint) their hair that tacky metallic red color and it looks kinda freakish, to my eyes.

wxdruid
2009-06-09, 08:02 AM
1. yes

2. no (girl who likes guys and I have the same opinion as Castaras about guys with red hair). I do have red hair.

Je dit Viola
2009-06-09, 08:54 AM
I've got to get my post count up, if I ever want to graduate from Pixie, so I'll do this:

!. No. Don't really like comics. I like sports. And music.

@ (2). Yes, as long as it's not fake. When it's real red-hair, I like it.

And I'm straight*100.

Muz
2009-06-09, 10:34 AM
No to the first, yes to the second (all things being equal).

Shall we next see if there's a correlation between liking comics and liking oxygen? It would be a similar question, to my thinking. ("All...educated people agree on that!") :smallwink:

Dihan
2009-06-09, 10:44 AM
Yes and depends on the shade of red.

randman22222
2009-06-09, 10:50 AM
No! Yes! No! Yes! Yes! No! Black! White! No room for things beyond the scope of this survey! ARRGHHH!

*Flees.*

Don't take this post seriously in terms of your survey. Do take it as criticism, though.

The Extinguisher
2009-06-09, 11:01 AM
Yes, no and likes both.

There's one shade of red that looks good on people, and no one ever uses it.

Blayze
2009-06-09, 11:09 AM
Yes and yes. My theory is that the scale goes from Nosferatu to OH SNAP, and female redheads have a far, far greater chance of scoring anything from Crazy Hot to OH SNAP.

While male redheads can look hawt, most don't

Damn. Must try harder. Hopefully then I'll be able to undo the damage Ron Weasley's done to our credibility.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-09, 11:13 AM
Yes, I like webcomics.

Yes, I like red-haired women (the ones I know anyway are hawt)

There, simple answer. :smalltongue:

I'm a heterosexual male by the way.

Telonius
2009-06-09, 11:17 AM
"Into comics" is kind of broad. I'd guess that 99% of the people on here are into at least one comic. :xykon:

But generally, no, I'm not into comics. I like them, and have a respect for the medium; but I'm not your Comic Book Guy who can name off the last seven storylines that Wolverine has been part of.

I do find red hair very attractive, though being into them would probably result in a divorce from my (blonde and wonderful) wife. :smallbiggrin: Why the fascination with redheads? I blame Joanne Whalley and Sorsha.

Headless_Ninja
2009-06-09, 11:17 AM
Yes, and... yes.

charl
2009-06-09, 11:41 AM
Yes on both accounts, but I'm redhead myself too so...

Katrascythe
2009-06-09, 11:50 AM
Web comics when I have time, and yes, definitely yes. Red hair is so awesome. I like Myrna Loy even though she's always in B&W simply because I know she's got red hair.

Krytha
2009-06-09, 11:51 AM
Theyre ok

Yes.

Erloas
2009-06-09, 11:52 AM
No, not really, for comics and Yes for redheads of the female persuasion.

Online comics I read 3-4 and printed comics I only read a very select few many years ago. I happen to have picked up a decent amount of comic book background over the years but I'm far from into them.

Redheaded women though it is unquestionable that I like them. I dislike a lot of the colored/dyed hair, but the natural and the natural looking colored are good.

wadledo
2009-06-09, 12:24 PM
Yes and yes.
Red heads is hawt, comic books are cool, and if I saw a red-head reading a comic book, I think I might just have to propose right then and there.

raitalin
2009-06-09, 01:33 PM
Yes to comics, though I'm far away from the sucker's game of buying the actual issues. I buy well-reviewed trades and graphic novels.

An emphatic yes to redhead, its just a shame they're such a rarity. Though I suppose thats part of what makes them special.

snoopy13a
2009-06-09, 01:36 PM
I read some newspaper and webcomics but no comic books.

I like natural redheads, especially the ones with freckles and a pale complexion, but they are relatively rare so it isn't really a realistic "type" for me. I suppose there must be more women dying their hair red nowadays.

Since natural redheads are so rare, I usually prefer brunettes.

bosssmiley
2009-06-09, 04:53 PM
1. yes

2. no (girl who likes guys and I have the same opinion as Castaras about guys with red hair). I do have red hair.

Redheads who are into comics are hottest of all. :smallwink:

In answer to the OP's question: Y/Y (99.9% hetero male - damn your sexy ways James Purefoy! ::smallredface: )

Starscream
2009-06-09, 04:53 PM
:elan: : I like redheads in comics!

:haley: : Thank you, sweetie.

:elan: : Ooh! Brunettes too!

:haley: : Well, I suppose that's-

:elan: : Also blondes! Definitely blondes!

:haley: : Okay, that's enou-

:elan: : One time I was at this party, and there were all these blondes. And brunettes too. And they asked if I wanted to go hottubbing with them. And I said I can't, I don't have swim trunks and I don't want my clothes to get all wet. And they said that wouldn't be a problem because we wouldn't be...Haley, what's wrong?

:haley: : :smallmad:

:elan: : ...There might have been a few redheads there as well.

:haley: : :smallfurious:

:elan: : Oooh, now your whole head really is red! Cool!

Coidzor
2009-06-09, 07:17 PM
*Ahem* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSNUL2hrQM)

Well color me failing my SAN check!

/////BossMsileyXdruixzw: grk. :smallamused:

TSED
2009-06-09, 09:55 PM
Yeah, there isn't much scope here. As I said, not rigorous. If I had some of these flaws pointed out earlier (ie; by my friends when I asked them) I probably would have revised it but it's a bit too late to turn back now.

About to update.

Seems the general consensus is just "redheads are hot, period" though.

Coidzor
2009-06-09, 10:42 PM
Seems the general consensus is just "redheads are hot, period" though.

Yeah, pretty much. Possibly we desire them sexually due to their rarity and due to this desire for something more than the common person, there's the flair with which they can be used in fiction.

Though an interesting thing about redheads is the redheaded man (conspiracy?) theory(ok so it's not really a theory, but that's the name I've heard applied to it.) that involves Columbus, Jefferson, and a couple of other notable figures down through history.

Felixaar
2009-06-10, 08:39 AM
Heterosexual Male, though I support LGB&T.

I like comics, but I don't go out of my way to buy them - and while I read webcomics, I only read four on a regular basis.

I like redheads, and the redder the better. I also don't look too bad with red locks meself.

So we'll go with yes, and yes, but not with 100%.

lisiecki
2009-06-10, 04:00 PM
Are you:
1) Into comics?
and
2) Into redheads?

I am very in to comics.

I have dated 3 redheads.
But I'm not in to them any more than the other white girls I've dated, or the Latinas, or the african american, or the chinese american.

I don't get it personally
(But then again i don't understand asian fetishes either, another thing that develops fairly often with geeks)

FoE
2009-06-10, 04:31 PM
:elan: : I like redheads in comics!

:haley: : Thank you, sweetie.

:elan: : Ooh! Brunettes too!

:haley: : Well, I suppose that's-

:elan: : Also blondes! Definitely blondes!

:haley: : Okay, that's enou-

:elan: : One time I was at this party, and there were all these blondes. And brunettes too. And they asked if I wanted to go hottubbing with them. And I said I can't, I don't have swim trunks and I don't want my clothes to get all wet. And they said that wouldn't be a problem because we wouldn't be...Haley, what's wrong?

:haley: : :smallmad:

:elan: : ...There might have been a few redheads there as well.

:haley: : :smallfurious:

:elan: : Oooh, now your whole head really is red! Cool!

Heh heh. Good one.

Ziren
2009-06-10, 04:40 PM
Comics: Yes.

Redheads: More complicated. It's rare that I like natural red hair, but the sorta metallic-red colour that some goth girls dye their hair with - that's hot.
But I'm really more into black or hazel hair (on girls).
And since I'm somewhat bi-curious (complicated story), I should probably point out that with guys it's black hair all the way.

DigoDragon
2009-06-11, 07:30 AM
I have an online comic and one of the main characters (my second favorite) is a female redhead. I think that automatically answers the questions in my case. :smallsmile:

Though I've only ever had blondes and brunettes accept dates from me.
I wonder if that means redheads aren't into shorter men?

The_Librarian
2009-06-11, 03:53 PM
Redheads who are into comics are hottest of all. :smallwink:

Woot! I won something!

I gave a fuller answer in a PM, but between us, me and Mr Librarian have it all covered - he likes redheads, and I like comics!