PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Shopping

Starfols
2009-06-08, 09:15 PM
Hi there everyone, I'm going to Japan in a few days, and I want to have some idea of what I will want to buy before I get there, especially in Akihabara (I'm going around Tokyo, Kyoto & Chiba). My question for you all is what I can or should get in Japan that:

A) Has some sort of lasting appeal/value (something nice to show people, something I could use in everyday life, etc.)

B) Better (more features, better quality etc.) OR cheaper than getting it from Canada/America

C) Usable outside of Japan (game consoles and dvd's will, for the most part, be reigon coded)

D) Something other than a katana,kimono, etc. (those are pretty much givens)

E) It doesn't have to be electronic, but that is likely what I'll be focusing on

I should also add that I speak enough Japanese to get by, as well as traveling with some fluent people, so communication shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Dispozition
2009-06-08, 09:40 PM
C) Usable outside of Japan (game consoles and dvd's will, for the most part, be reigon coded)

PSP and DS games, while they will be in japanese, will not be region coded, so they'll be playable on any region console. Same goes for the actual consoles, they'll be able to play games from anywhere. Computer games/programs don't suffer region locking either (to my best knowledge, don't hold me to this in stone).

Other than that...I'm not too sure what else you could get.

Shades of Gray
2009-06-08, 11:40 PM
My friend is currently playing several games she bought for her DS in Japan. We're in Canada.

llamamushroom
2009-06-09, 06:34 AM
Clothes with kanji/hatakana/katakana which actually make sense? (http://www.hanzismatter.com/)