PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Question

ShadowFighter15
2009-06-09, 12:12 AM
I'm asking more out of curiosity, but I'm curious about the ability to spend action points to reduce an infusion's casting time down to one round. Or more specifically; what you do instead when the campaign doesn't use action points.

I haven't tested it (so it could be horribly broken) but I figured it could work similar to the quicker metamagic alternate sorcerer feature from UA (or the PHB 2, can't remember which) where you can use it 3+Int Mod times per day.

Any thoughts about how to still use this faster infusion without relying on metamagic or action points? Has anyone been able to play an artificer well without this ability?

RTGoodman
2009-06-09, 12:28 AM
I haven't played an Artificer, but I think the solution would be to figure out how many Action Points a character is supposed to get at each level, maybe subtract one, and let them do it that many times per day.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-09, 01:04 AM
I'm asking more out of curiosity, but I'm curious about the ability to spend action points to reduce an infusion's casting time down to one round. Or more specifically; what you do instead when the campaign doesn't use action points.
You don't get to do that? Just like the other uses of action points are unavailable, that one is too.

I'm pretty sure that artificers don't become underpowered without this ability.

Waspinator
2009-06-09, 01:21 AM
Well, you could just let artificers have action points (probably the same number that they would get in a campaign that does use them) and only let them spend them on that ability.

Epinephrine
2009-06-09, 08:18 AM
The artificer in our group (when we had an artificer) played without action points, and didn't find it much of a burden. It did mean that we tended to scout more, so he could plan his buffs, but otherwise he just stuck with some pretty all around useful buffs.

Gralamin
2009-06-09, 08:30 AM
Well, you could just let artificers have action points (probably the same number that they would get in a campaign that does use them) and only let them spend them on that ability.

I use this, doesn't seem to be unbalanced.

AslanCross
2009-06-09, 01:07 PM
The artificer will only be using this feature occasionally, from my experience. Most of the time he'll be casting from wands and scrolls which he scribed in advance. Letting the artificer use "action points" on this ability only seems fine.

Dragonmuncher
2009-06-09, 02:09 PM
Or, if he doesn't feel like tracking action points (or the DM doesn't want to allow it for whatever reason), give him the ability to use it 1 per day, with increasing amounts as he gains levels (2/day at 6th, 3/day at 12th maybe?)

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-09, 04:07 PM
If you're going to give the Artificer a limited ability to do this without action points, then to be fair you should also give the other classes a limited ability to do things that normally require action points.

It seems like you might be best off just including action points and eliminating whatever uses of them you don't care for.