PDA

View Full Version : Phylactery/Holy Symbol question

TheBigBadWolf
2009-06-09, 02:00 AM
Hi, I'm new around here. Been lurking for a long time though, not that it's at all relevant to this post.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of posts since the new comic about how Xykon would be inconvenienced by the loss of his phylactery, but none regarding Redcloak's loss of his holy symbol (which was the same thing, IIRC). I'm really hazy on D&D specific... so I was just wondering how exactly this affects Redcloak in the long run. I know he loses access to a bunch of cleric spells, but is it replaceable?

P.S. I tried the search function but the sheer volume of pages that came up made finding the answer nigh impossible. I've used search through the recent comic discussion threads too but to no avail.

Zevox
2009-06-09, 02:03 AM
Oh, its easily replaceable. The most basic holy symbols, wooden ones, only cost a single gold piece, and silver ones are just 25 gp. He'll be able to get ahold of a new one very easily. Could even make it himself very easily, if he has any talent at all at wood carving or a similar skill.

Zevox

DarthCyberWolf
2009-06-09, 02:12 AM
He doesn't really even need to make one. He's the leader of an entire city of Hobgoblins, most of which probably worship the same deity. Bet he could get one for free off the street.

Twilight Jack
2009-06-09, 02:38 AM
Or take Jirix' holy symbol. It's not like he'll be needing it.

Hexen_Hase
2009-06-09, 03:58 AM
The only major (minor) inconvenience is that he has to spend a whole day getting attuned to the new symbol, IIRC. Not that the single day is going to make a world of difference for O-Chuul or V.

KingMerv00
2009-06-09, 04:07 AM
The only major (minor) inconvenience is that he has to spend a whole day getting attuned to the new symbol, IIRC. Not that the single day is going to make a world of difference for O-Chuul or V.

I don't think there is any need to attune to a holy symbol (at least in 3e or 3.5).

TheBigBadWolf
2009-06-09, 04:40 AM
Oh okay. Thanks for the fast replies guys.

Phage0070
2009-06-09, 10:13 AM
I don't think there is any need to attune to a holy symbol (at least in 3e or 3.5).

No need at all. Often I would make my clerics with a silver holy symbol and a backup wooden one in the pocket for just such an occasion.

ericgrau
2009-06-09, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure that the hobgoblins also worship the Dark One like Redcloak does. Finding a holy symbol in the local religion store might be difficult. But holy symbols are simple so Redcloak may have prepared his own backups or commissioned some hobgoblins to make some.

Optimystik
2009-06-09, 11:49 AM
Isn't there a cleric spell that can let you conjure up a rudimentary replacement symbol?

Or take Jirix' holy symbol. It's not like he'll be needing it.

:smallfrown:

Dagren
2009-06-09, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure that the hobgoblins also worship the Dark One like Redcloak does. Finding a holy symbol in the local religion store might be difficult. But holy symbols are simple so Redcloak may have prepared his own backups or commissioned some hobgoblins to make some.I'm pretty sure they do; he's the god of all the goblin people (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0451.html), remember?

Aristeidis
2009-06-09, 04:52 PM
Good point,
but let me point out that not all spells need a "divine focus" on a cleric's holy symbol. It depends on the requirements on the description of the spell.

He can cast a reasonable amount of spells without a holy symbol.
Although most of them do need the symbol or a focus on another material.

Plus, I can't imagine a cleric having only one symbol of their deity.
I know people who have many more and they are not even clerics! :-P