PDA

View Full Version : what was so beautyful?

Lukraak
2009-06-09, 05:02 AM
Something distracted Blackwing. And presumably V saw trough its eyes.

But what was it?
I'd guess the snarl wont bother or even think of trying to hypnotize anything getting close to its rifts.
Plus its clear it made no sense to blackwing who presumably knows about what the snarl actually is.

My personal, and totally wild speculation.
Did the gates created by the order of the scribble somehow make the snarl be able to sense/see the world outside? Perhaps it discovered that it wanted something like that and used the souls it had devoured to create its own world inside its own pocket dimension?

Samurai Jill
2009-06-09, 07:02 AM
Hey... that sorta makes sense. I'm a little confused on that point too.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-09, 07:06 AM
Ravens are attracted to shiny things.

ericgrau
2009-06-09, 09:11 AM
A fiend wondered the same thing, which emphasizes its importance.

I don't even believe my example, but spoilered anyway:

Maybe there'll be an outbreak of the zombie followers of Snarl?

Optimystik
2009-06-09, 09:14 AM
It's simple to me; the Snarl is more than it seems (i.e. more than a godless tangle of angry threads.)

We're all assuming it'll be content with its role of Garagos-esque chaotic omnidestroyer, but what if it achieves some kind of sentience before the comic ends?

Ghull_Ka
2009-06-09, 09:15 AM
I thought perhaps it was a reference to the movie "Contact", in which Jodie Foster's character mentions briefly that they should have sent a poet.

daggaz
2009-06-09, 10:15 AM
Its been a many a year since Ive seen it, but I could have sworn it was a reference to Stanley Kubrik's "2001: A Space Odyssey" written by Arthur C. Clarke. The monolith was more than a little bit mesmerizing to David Bowman when it opened up to him, although his most memorable quote on the subject was, "My God... It's full of stars."

choie
2009-06-09, 10:27 AM
It's simple to me; the Snarl is more than it seems (i.e. more than a godless tangle of angry threads.)

Like most message boards, you mean? :smallwink:

Optimystik
2009-06-09, 12:09 PM
Like most message boards, you mean? :smallwink:

You're on a roll :smallbiggrin: keep it up and I'll have to subscribe to your newsletter.

Kaytara
2009-06-09, 12:21 PM
You're on a roll :smallbiggrin: keep it up and I'll have to subscribe to your newsletter.

Heh, you know, I just regularly read "Other posts by choie"... her comments are highly awesome to read. ^^ Even if it's just an emotional description of the various reactions she got while reading this or that panel of the latest strip... :D

Keshay
2009-06-09, 01:28 PM
Ravens are attracted to shiny things.

This. I'm not certain why people have to over-analyze things.

Ravens like string. Ravens like to untangle string. Ravens like string made of exotic materials. A big tangle made of the fabric of the universe itself would be totally mezmerizing to a Raven.

Also, there's no reason to think that V could see through Blackwing's eyes. That is not a standard feature of a familiar. Sure, V is high enough level to Scry on the bird, but that would not mean he can see through its eyes. ANd he can only do it once per day, and since BW was still able to be seen normally, there's no reason to expect he was scrying at that moment.

Kaytara
2009-06-09, 02:13 PM

Ravens like string. Ravens like to untangle string. Ravens like string made of exotic materials. A big tangle made of the fabric of the universe itself would be totally mezmerizing to a Raven.

Also, there's no reason to think that V could see through Blackwing's eyes. That is not a standard feature of a familiar. Sure, V is high enough level to Scry on the bird, but that would not mean he can see through its eyes. ANd he can only do it once per day, and since BW was still able to be seen normally, there's no reason to expect he was scrying at that moment.

Right, so we have this mysterious god-killing abomination that nobody dares approach, that is extremely crucial to the grand plot of the story.... someone finally approaches it... displays strange behaviour... and you're telling me that the strange behaviour was completely due to a trait of the person, rather than the abomination??? Well, it's technically possible, but is it plausible narratively?

Thajocoth
2009-06-09, 02:20 PM
I think it's fairly obvious.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0315.html

The bug zapper's still hanging up there. Just off panel.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-09, 02:56 PM
Right, so we have this mysterious god-killing abomination that nobody dares approach, that is extremely crucial to the grand plot of the story.... someone finally approaches it... displays strange behaviour... and you're telling me that the strange behaviour was completely due to a trait of the person, rather than the abomination??? Well, it's technically possible, but is it plausible narratively?

Since the snarl has been shown as a being whose only and absolute interest is clawing at anything and everything, yes.

Keshay
2009-06-09, 03:02 PM

Yes, its a bird, not a person. An intelligent bird to be sure, but a bird nonetheless. It will still possess bird-like traits.

What you're saying is akin to if the familiar was a cat, and it saw a bit of the rift dangling attractively just out of reach, it would be "strange behavior" for the familiar to have tried pawing at it despite "knowing" that it could unmake them. Cats go after all sorts of stupid things that can harm them, and have harmed them in the past. Why? Its a cat, not a person, its in thier nature.

Had a creature not easily mesmerized by shiny, exotic object displayed the same behavior, I'd agree wholeheartedly. But I don't attribute human traits to animals (or magical beasts in this case I suppose) and do not expect them to behave exactly as one would think a person (Human being) would.

Kaytara
2009-06-09, 03:07 PM
Yes, its a bird, not a person. An intelligent bird to be sure, but a bird nonetheless. It will still possess bird-like traits.

What you're saying is akin to if the familiar was a cat, and it saw a bit of the rift dangling attractively just out of reach, it would be "strange behavior" for the familiar to have tried pawing at it despite "knowing" that it could unmake them. Cats go after all sorts of stupid things that can harm them, and have harmed them in the past. Why? Its a cat, not a person, its in thier nature.

Had a creature not easily mesmerized by shiny, exotic object displayed the same behavior, I'd agree wholeheartedly. But I don't attribute human traits to animals (or magical beasts in this case I suppose) and do not expect them to behave exactly as one would think a person (Human being) would.

Okay, then answer this: What's the deal with the pink colouring of Blackwing's eyes as soon as he starts acting strangely, colouring which, I may add, disappears as soon as he gets blasted, with a squiggly line possibly indicating that his head has just cleared?

Haven
2009-06-09, 03:28 PM

This is the explanation I would normally believe, if it weren't for the fact that the fiends commented on it. They've been the story's chorus and exposition guys for a bit, and the fact that the last one remarked "I don't know why the bird's just staring at it, though" is probably pretty insightful.

Also, the "I don't...I don't understand." I doubt that would be a raven's response to a big ball of string. Also, I don't think I've ever heard of ravens being specifically attracted to string--that sounds more like a trait of magpies--and I recently read a book on raven psychology ("Mind of the Raven (http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Raven-Investigations-Adventures-Wolf-Birds/dp/0060930632)", an excellent read). Ravens symbolize hidden knowledge, among other things, so it is significant that such a bird is mesmerized.

And as the above poster pointed out, its pink eyes are also significant. I would have thought that it was just reflecting the glow of the Snarl, except then it would still have those eyes in the first two panels of 660, where it's still facing the Snarl.

There's also the fact that it makes Blackwing's failure slightly less contrived (slightly, mind you, but Xykon's plot armor is a topic for another day).

Anyway, yeah, something's up.

Swordwind
2009-06-09, 07:08 PM
Maybe he's just mesmerised by the big pretty glowy thingy in front of him and his eyes are just the reflection?

Optimystik
2009-06-09, 07:40 PM

But you don't know what mesmerizes ravens, or even if Blackwing is prone to such distractions. We just don't know enough about him to be sure whether he saw something noteworthy in the rift or not.

It may just be a red herring, but I'm going with foreshadowing. For a being of pure chaos, the Snarl thus far has been very predictable, so setting up a twist of some kind strikes me as the safer bet.

holywhippet
2009-06-09, 07:54 PM
I wonder if the Snarl didn't so much destroy the soul of those it killed through the rifts as consume them. It might have gained some kind of insight about things from them.

Certainly this doesn't seem to be the same Snarl that the order of the scribble dealt with.

Bastian
2009-06-09, 08:04 PM

Heh, you know, I just regularly read "Other posts by choie"... her comments are highly awesome to read. ^^ Even if it's just an emotional description of the various reactions she got while reading this or that panel of the latest strip... :D

You dear brother, and you dear sister, are indeed the most faithful within the Church of Choie.

You both shall have a task to be an example for these dark times.

Oh, don't grovel ... do get up! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people groveling!!

And don't apologize. Every time I try to talk to someone it's
sorry this and forgive me that and I'm not worthy and ... What are you
doing now?

I really don't know where all this got started.
It's like those miserable psalms. They're so depressing. Now knock it off.

Look well, Optimystik ... for it is your sacred task to seek the Holy Choie.

Cult Management Status:
Acquired souls: + 15%
Human sacrifices: +7 % --> needs improvement!

Ellye
2009-06-09, 08:20 PM
I do believe that a hole in the fabric of the multiverse is already pretty fascinating to stare at. I know that I'd have the same reaction as Blackwing if I ever came across one. :smallbiggrin:

SadisticFishing
2009-06-09, 08:26 PM
Xykon wasn't distracted.

I believe the Snarl is a MacGuffin.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-09, 08:54 PM
Am I the only one who is reminded of ... something distracting ... when looking at the the "snarl"?

This shot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0544.html) offers a better "view" ;)

Corwin Weber
2009-06-09, 09:00 PM
Meh, I'm wondering if swirling nuclear chaos isn't somehow mesmerizingly beautiful.

...the fact that you don't want to get too close doesn't preclude beauty.

DigoDragon
2009-06-11, 09:40 AM
I believe the Snarl is a MacGuffin.

There is a distinct possibility (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html) of this being true.

magellan
2009-06-11, 09:59 AM
Right, so we have this mysterious god-killing abomination that nobody dares approach, that is extremely crucial to the grand plot of the story.... someone finally approaches it...

Aproached the hole, not the snarl. Tiny difference

displays strange behaviour... and you're telling me that the strange behaviour was completely due to a trait of the person, rather than the abomination??? Well, it's technically possible, but is it plausible narratively?

It is only strange behaviour if you assume that birds don't like shiny things. A assumption that has little founding in the behaviour of birds. So: *IF* this particular bird behaves strangely, then it is strange behaviour. If it behaves like a bird it isn't :P

And the swirly line above its head was because it just got blasted with explosive runes.

The line of the fiend is the only clue here and that one is so vague it can go any way. (could even be a 4th wall punch as in: The bird stares at it so that the phylactery can drop into the sewers instead of the hole)

Optimystik
2009-06-11, 10:14 AM
Look well, Optimystik ... for it is your sacred task to seek the Holy Choie.

Does the cult have a health plan? :smallwink:

It is only strange behaviour if you assume that birds don't like shiny things. A assumption that has little founding in the behaviour of birds. So: *IF* this particular bird behaves strangely, then it is strange behaviour. If it behaves like a bird it isn't :P

If it was just a "shiny thing," then what exactly did Blackwing not understand? "Ooh, shiny!" is pretty straightforward.

Haven
2009-06-11, 08:16 PM
Am I the only one who is reminded of ... something distracting ... when looking at the the "snarl"?

This shot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0544.html) offers a better "view" ;)

I have never seen anyone else say it, but I'm so very glad I'm not the only one who thought so.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-06-11, 08:21 PM
I didn't notice it, but once we talked about it I assumed that a majority of people would have seen the unusual interpretation. After all, in today's culture...the gutter isn't such a bad place for your mind to be.

kopout
2009-06-11, 08:36 PM

You where.I think it's a perfectly normal response to looking through a hole in reality into primordial chaos. eather something along the lines of "it's so beautiful, but I cant possibly understand it" or "Ahhhh! My brain! The horror, the lovecraftian horror!"