PDA

View Full Version : How did the mods become mods?

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-09, 08:26 AM
Let me say right off: this is Not an attempt at becoming a mod, or any such nonsense. I know full well that would be a dumb idea.

I was just wandering around the site and I got curious, how did the mods become mods. Are they friends of the Giant? People who joined the forum in it's infancy and were promoted? Professional forum moderators, (this of course made me wonder; is it a job, or a voluntary thing)?

If this is either in the wrong place, or is held under rule 28576a (ie. It's none of your business) then I humbly apologise.

Serpentine
2009-06-09, 08:29 AM
Giant's request, mostly, I think, though each sort of has their own story.

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-09, 08:31 AM
ritual combat

with wombats

Serpentine
2009-06-09, 08:31 AM
I think that's how Rawhide did it...

Nameless
2009-06-09, 08:32 AM
The Giant spoke to the Heavens and the Gods listened well. Then the Mods Rained down from the sky and surrounded The Giant.
The Gods then spoke to him and said “These are your loyal knights, they shall help guard and look after your great kingdom”

Or something like that.

Mordokai
2009-06-09, 08:35 AM
The Gods then spoke to him and said “These are your loyal nights, they shall help guard and look after your great kingdom”

Ok... but what happened with loyal days? :smalltongue:

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :smallbiggrin:

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-09, 08:36 AM
And the Gods saw that the Typo of the Reaper was Mocked, and it was good.

Nameless
2009-06-09, 08:38 AM
Ok... but what happened with loyal days? :smalltongue:

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :smallbiggrin:

I was asking for that. :smalltongue:

Faulty
2009-06-09, 09:08 AM
Giant probably clicked some buttons in an options panel or something. Just my guess.

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-09, 09:09 AM
Giant probably clicked some buttons in an options panel or something. Just my guess.

you're no fun :smallfrown:

Nameless
2009-06-09, 09:17 AM

Reality isn't always fun. :smalltongue:

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-09, 09:19 AM
sssssssssssssssssssssssh, don't break the illusion... or the wombats may spill out of the arena, and then we're all done for!

Totally Guy
2009-06-09, 10:02 AM
I think one is born a mod.

Supagoof
2009-06-09, 10:03 AM
Well - I know that Alarra was here during the infancy and the Giant liked how she posted, so he asked her. I think it was the way in which she conducted herself in the forums and assisted others. :smallwink:

But with Rawhide, it was defintely the cagematch battle with wombats. They had friggin laser beams attached to their heads too.

I'm pretty sure that Roland St. Jude won a round of poker against WampaX for his title, but rumour has it he was dealt a 10/8 for his starting hand.

Lilly's backstory is a mystery to me though. Something about traveling to Mordor or something like that.

Linkavitch
2009-06-09, 10:09 AM
The Giant spoke to the Heavens and the Gods listened well. Then the Mods Rained down from the sky and surrounded The Giant.
The Gods then spoke to him and said “These are your loyal knights, they shall help guard and look after your great kingdom”

Or something like that.

Nice.:smallwink:

But, looking at this thread, it looks to me that it belongs in Board/Site Issues, IMO.

bosssmiley
2009-06-09, 10:25 AM
They watched Quadrophenia one time too many, and the latent modness blossomed in their minds like some eldritch night-born bloom crooning blasphemous threnodies in a voice uncannily like that of Phil (Parklife!) Daniels (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0200057/)...

Remember: if someone offers you some Quad, just say "Naaaah!" and whip them across the eyes with your bike chain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(lifestyle)#Conflicts_with_rockers). :smallwink:

Skippy
2009-06-09, 10:30 AM
I heard about secret labs somewhere deep underground where they raise genetically altered babies who they grow to be mods all around the Internet, so if you have a forum or a site and you need mods you go there and they give you six or seven, depending on the traffic of the site and stuff. They had them in cryogenic sleep for twenty years before the forum started and needed them.

That's right. They began raising them before the internet went public.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-09, 10:33 AM
They pass the challenge of death, which involves flying blue monkeys.

Dihan
2009-06-09, 10:39 AM
I heard about secret labs somewhere deep underground where they raise genetically altered babies who they grow to be mods all around the Internet, so if you have a forum or a site and you need mods you go there and they give you six or seven, depending on the traffic of the site and stuff. They had them in cryogenic sleep for twenty years before the forum started and needed them.

That's right. They began raising them before the internet went public.

Don't forget the sleeper mods who could be anyone in society. All it needs is for their inner mod to be awakened.

Shades of Gray
2009-06-09, 10:39 AM
Some are born a mod, others achieve the rank of mod, and others of mod-ness thrust upon them.

Mando Knight
2009-06-09, 10:54 AM
Actually, see it happened like this:

"And lo, the Giant looked upon the Forums which He had created, and they were without order. Thus the Giant spoke "Let there be Moderators" and it was so. The Giant looked upon His Moderators and saw that they were good. And there was evening, and there was morning, the sixth day."

:smalltongue:

Faulty
2009-06-09, 10:58 AM

I can from a long line of bad jokers, so at least I come by it honestly. :smallwink:

SDF
2009-06-09, 11:00 AM
Dress like a hippie and buy a Vespa

http://modaction.com/images/MODS-2.jpg

mangosta71
2009-06-09, 11:01 AM
"And lo, the Giant looked upon the Forums which He had created, and they were without order. Thus the Giant spoke "Let there be Moderators" and it was so. The Giant looked upon His Moderators and saw that they were good. And there was evening, and there was morning, the sixth day."

"And on the seventh day, he rested by blowing his cash on booze and hookers."

Neko Toast
2009-06-09, 11:04 AM

http://modaction.com/images/MODS-2.jpg

I half-expected to see Haruhara Haruko (http://images.absoluteanime.com/flcl/haruko.jpg) in that spoiler.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-09, 11:07 AM

Or something like that.

Nameless, you just went up by thirty points on the scale of awesome.

Maybe the Giant is some sort of hive mind-controller, and the mods are minions each created with a unique twist. :smalltongue:

Supagoof
2009-06-09, 11:07 AM

http://modaction.com/images/MODS-2.jpgOh oh - Zeb's way to dressed to become a mod then. He rides a hawg and dresses like a bad-a**. Though he did take a step in marrying Alarra and becoming a Mod-in-law.

skywalker
2009-06-09, 11:31 AM
Maybe the Giant is some sort of hive mind-controller, and the mods are minions each created with a unique twist. :smalltongue:

So they only have one hit point?

Sounds both dangerous and... promising... :smalltongue:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-09, 11:36 AM
So they only have one hit point?

Sounds both dangerous and... promising... :smalltongue:

Yeah, but they have tons of AC (Like 10'000) and Damage Reduction 100/-.

Nameless
2009-06-09, 11:37 AM
Nameless, you just went up by thirty points on the scale of awesome.

Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Fredthefighter
2009-06-09, 11:52 AM
Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Just like the Tyranids. Watch out, there are some Lictors about, camouflaged in the bushes! :smalltongue:

bosssmiley
2009-06-09, 12:16 PM

"Spawn more Overmods!" :smallbiggrin:

Moderator conference meeting, yesterday (possibly):

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/7185/isopod2xf3.jpg

Recaiden
2009-06-09, 12:55 PM
Just like the Tyranids. Watch out, there are some Lictors about, camouflaged in the bushes! :smalltongue:

So are we posters the basic tyranids then? And what are those things in the picture.

Krade
2009-06-09, 01:40 PM
I think they are Giant Isopods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_isopod). The cutest hideous monstrocity ever to come out of the deep.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-09, 01:42 PM
So are we posters the basic tyranids then? And what are those things in the picture.

Yeah, we're the broods of Termagaunts, Genestealers, Hormogaunts and Warrior Tyranids.

Faceist
2009-06-09, 02:36 PM
ritual combat

with wombats
Wom-com! All we need are some zombies for a zom-wom-com.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-09, 02:46 PM
Honestly I expected like 2 replies when I came back to check this. I've been pleasantly surprised.

I personally believe that one day the Giant gathered all forum subscribers in an unknown location, gave each of them 28 points and a PHB, and then the last 4 remaining alive were made mods, al a USoUD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgT9gy4zQA).

Lord Herman
2009-06-09, 03:25 PM
Wom-com! All we need are some zombies for a zom-wom-com.

Exploding zombies! Then we'd have a bom-zom-wom-com!

Shas aia Toriia
2009-06-09, 03:37 PM
Exploding zombies! Then we'd have a bom-zom-wom-com!

But what if they were all named Tom? And liked eating? :smallconfused:
Then we'd have an om-nom-tom-bom-zom-wom-com!

Jimorian
2009-06-09, 03:38 PM
Nice.:smallwink:

But, looking at this thread, it looks to me that it belongs in Board/Site Issues, IMO.

Oooh, look! A mod in its larvae stage! :smallwink:

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-09, 03:39 PM
When the tweedle beetles battle with their paddles in a puddle and the puddle's in a bottle on a noodle-eating poodle, this is called... a tweedle beetle noodle poodle puddle bottle paddle battle.
I probably got that wrong.

Sneak
2009-06-09, 04:05 PM
We have mods? :smallconfused:

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-09, 04:11 PM

You didn't know? Apparently the Gods rained them down on the Giant when he prayed to them. That you didn't know means that clearly you've been obeying the rules of the forum. You deserve a reward, so have a Mario cookie (http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/super_mario_cookie.jpg).

Ok so I just wanted an excuse to post the Mario cookie coz I like it so much, so sue me.

H. Zee
2009-06-09, 04:23 PM

That combines hilariously with your sig.

Collin152
2009-06-09, 04:48 PM
Oooh, look! A mod in its larvae stage! :smallwink:

Look! Modapee is evolving!
Do-da-do-da-doo-daa-doo...
*zzzrrt*
Congratulations! Your Modapee evolved into Modapod!

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-09, 05:21 PM

stop!
DESIST!

if we add the final syllabul, complete the entire phrase then its like a spell - read it aloud and horrible things will occur

horrible, lovecraft-esque things...

the horrors of a new mod being born

the horror....

The Extinguisher
2009-06-09, 06:37 PM

Thank goodness it's not a romantic comedy, or we'd have an om-nom-tom-bom-zom-wom-com-rom-com.

Nameless
2009-06-09, 06:46 PM

Then they would be awesome. Why? Because that's my name. :smallcool:

Recaiden
2009-06-09, 07:02 PM
I believe most of them are simply incarnations of our unconscious fears, although a few may have begun as humans, such as Alara and Rawhide. Other than that, I don't know.

Crimmy
2009-06-09, 07:05 PM
"It must be that the hydrothermic properties of that region causes
hurricane-force winds that cause the ice to freeze, then melt, and then re-freeze, resulting in a semi-solid migrating land mass that could make a Mod spawning right around here".

Those who don't understand the quote shall be sent to the Meerkat cage!

Stormthorn
2009-06-09, 07:09 PM
I think one is born a mod.

One is not SIMPLY born as mod! The coming of the Mod is fortold a decade in advance by a blind oracle and even then only the fit survive to fulfill their potential! For a Mod this battle begins at the moment of birth when the dark unspeakable gods hear their infants cries and send minions out to devour the childs soul!

Coidzor
2009-06-09, 07:12 PM
One does not question the divinity of the mods lest they strike ye down!

Xondoure
2009-06-10, 01:06 AM
Notice that no mod bothered to post on this thread and enlighten us. Must be to busy working on the next om-nom-tom-bom-zom-wom-com.

Haruki-kun
2009-06-10, 01:12 AM
Actually, there's a secret, Internet-based association known as the Mods' Guild. When new forums appear, an alarm goes off and they immediately assign someone to the forum to become a moderator, and in some cases, administrator. This, however, is top secret, in order to keep people from finding out about their secret base of operations.

This is also why mods tend to moderate more than one forum throughout the internet: because the Mods' Guild is understaffed, as they must assign many of their best men and women to 4chan, in order to contain the danger.

Truly, we must be grateful to this top-secret conspiracy theory organization.

Zeb The Troll
2009-06-10, 01:49 AM
Oh oh - Zeb's way too dressed to become a mod then. He rides a hawg and dresses like a bad-a**.This makes Zeb a sad Troll. :smallfrown:

Coidzor
2009-06-10, 01:51 AM
This makes Zeb a sad Troll. :smallfrown:

Though you are still the man most likely to create a demimod. :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2009-06-10, 01:57 AM
Though you are still the man most likely to create a demimod. :smallbiggrin:*takes a sip of coffee*
*reads post*
*spews recently sipped but not yet swallowed hot coffee out his nose*
*remembers that he still has to go reserve the user name Pudding Troll*

I really have to learn not to read humorous threads while sipping hot coffee. :smallcool:

Ashen Lilies
2009-06-10, 04:54 AM
Actually, there's a secret, Internet-based association known as the Mods' Guild. When new forums appear, an alarm goes off and they immediately assign someone to the forum to become a moderator, and in some cases, administrator. This, however, is top secret, in order to keep people from finding out about their secret base of operations.

This is also why mods tend to moderate more than one forum throughout the internet: because the Mods' Guild is understaffed, as they must assign many of their best men and women to 4chan, in order to contain the danger.

Truly, we must be grateful to this top-secret conspiracy theory organization.

Having modded for a RP forum before, I'd like to state that there is no such thing as a secret 'Mod's Guild', as that would be just plain silly. In fact, you should feel ashamed you even had such a stupid, imbecilic idea. I suggest you all forget about it, for it does not exist, has never existed, and will never exist. Never. Ever. Nope. Zip. Nada. Non-existent. Nu-uh. No. Now move along, citizen.
>>
<<

Coidzor
2009-06-10, 05:06 AM
*takes a sip of coffee*
*reads post*
*spews recently sipped but not yet swallowed hot coffee out his nose*
*remembers that he still has to go reserve the user name Pudding Troll*

I really have to learn not to read humorous threads while sipping hot coffee. :smallcool:

*bows deeply* Thank you, A thank you very much.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-10, 05:18 AM
Having modded for a RP forum before, I'd like to state that there is no such thing as a secret 'Mod's Guild', as that would be just plain silly. In fact, you should feel ashamed you even had such a stupid, imbecilic idea. I suggest you all forget about it, for it does not exist, has never existed, and will never exist. Never. Ever. Nope. Zip. Nada. Non-existent. Nu-uh. No.
>>
<<

You neglected to refer to 'ruki-kun as "Citizen", and/or threaten to execute him for Heresey.
Just sayin'.

Quincunx
2009-06-10, 05:23 AM
No. It's more like a puppy mill, for mods. The cages were very cramped, so short you couldn't even sit upright, and only the front was wire to breathe through and suck on the dregs of the water bottle, staring out and wondering (for you were beyond hope at that point) if a message board would ever feel the need for you.

Ashen Lilies
2009-06-10, 05:31 AM
You neglected to refer to 'ruki-kun as "Citizen", and/or threaten to execute him for Heresey.
Just sayin'.

I have no idea what you're talking about, citizen.
>>
<<

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-10, 05:40 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about, citizen.
>>
<<

And there is no way you edit'd the above post to conform to call 'ruki "Citizen".

If you had an instructor on the proper way to do these things, he would hear about this.
How fortunate that you don't.
Initiate protcol 27D

SilverSheriff
2009-06-10, 05:51 AM
I always thought that maybe there was a Mud-wrestling tournament for the lady mods and a knife-fight for the men...:smallwink:

Coidzor
2009-06-10, 05:54 AM
heh... Mod-wrestling... I like it! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNVYWJOEy9A) :smallbiggrin:

billtodamax
2009-06-10, 05:57 AM
...a knife-fight for the men...:smallwink:
The catch is, it's a monkey knife fight. Like a sort of tag team thing. Do you send the monkey out first and risk having to take on two opponents, or do you send him out last and risk serious injury?

Fri
2009-06-10, 09:23 AM
Didn't roland simply came and ordered milk one day? Tavern door swung and a six shooter glistened in his hips, his silhouette stood against the blinding sun. The other patron laughed at him at first, of course. Then the big troll that killed the last sheriff shoved him deliberately and spilled his milk.

You don't spill roland's milk.

The Mayor Giant was quite impressed. Though the janitor didn't.

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-10, 09:34 AM
I thought the Giant just traveled lands near and far, searching for a child with a modichlorian count high enough to be the Chosen Mod. :smalltongue:

loopy
2009-06-10, 09:59 AM
I thought the Giant just traveled lands near and far, searching for a child with a modichlorian count high enough to be the Chosen Mod. :smalltongue:

Oh lord. That means that one day, after several years and three movies of bad acting, the Chosen Mod will turn to the Dark Side of the Boards, start trolling and wipe out all the other mods in a climactic battle with excessive amounts of CGI!

EmeraldRose
2009-06-10, 10:06 AM
*wonders at the imminent awesomeness of the fore-ordained Pudding Troll and begins quaking in boots*

*also demands tummy pics*

*also wonders if the Pudding Moddess and Mod-in-Law would like baby boy stuff if the Pudding Troll happens to be one*

Supagoof
2009-06-10, 02:34 PM
Didn't roland simply came and ordered milk one day? Tavern door swung and a six shooter glistened in his hips, his silhouette stood against the blinding sun. The other patron laughed at him at first, of course. Then the big troll that killed the last sheriff shoved him deliberately and spilled his milk.

You don't spill roland's milk.

The Mayor Giant was quite impressed. Though the janitor didn't.You forgot about the tumbleweed!

*Begins quivering and grabs bottle of hooch disappearing under the counter.*

The Baron was found as the only survivor who fought against the White Death. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4)

Crimmy
2009-06-10, 02:58 PM
So he was the one that shot Simo in the head with an exploding bullet, and missed?!

Maybe that explains the rank.
I mean, nobody ever got to find Whitey, much less got the chance to shoot him, and even less, to his his jaw.

Nameless
2009-06-10, 03:00 PM
How did the mods become mods?

By the power of GRAY SKULL! O_e

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-10, 03:02 PM
Oh lord. That means that one day, after several years and three movies of bad acting, the Chosen Mod will turn to the Dark Side of the Boards, start trolling and wipe out all the other mods in a climactic battle with excessive amounts of CGI!

Not if he begins the training young!

Crimmy
2009-06-10, 03:03 PM
@ Nameless:
You made me choke on my coke because of that...

Nameless
2009-06-10, 03:10 PM
@ Nameless:
You made me choke on my coke because of that...

Glad to hear. xD

Zeb The Troll
2009-06-11, 01:17 AM
*wonders at the imminent awesomeness of the fore-ordained Pudding Troll and begins quaking in boots*

*also demands tummy pics*

*also wonders if the Pudding Moddess and Mod-in-Law would like baby boy stuff if the Pudding Troll happens to be one*The Pudding Troll has indeed been oracled to be male.

*sets alarm to remember to take tummy pics*

:smallcool:

DigoDragon
2009-06-11, 07:10 AM
Strange giants distributing "@" accounts is no basis for a system of moderation. :smalltongue:

EmeraldRose
2009-06-11, 08:50 AM
The Pudding Troll has indeed been oracled to be male.

*sets alarm to remember to take tummy pics*

:smallcool:

Excellent! Coming up fairly soon right?

Is he destined to be the Chosen Mod?

Zid
2009-06-11, 09:59 AM
I was just wandering around the site and I got curious, how did the mods become mods.

Oh, thats easy. They just {Scrubbed}

Of course, I know of at least one who also {Scrubbed}

Funny story, isn´t it?

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 10:06 AM
Excellent! Coming up fairly soon right?

Is he destined to be the Chosen Mod?

I dunno, I mean, we actually have some idea that he was parented by two humanoids this time. Last couple of chosen ones we ran into either weren't born at all.

Remember the guy that crawled out of a vat of Y-chromosomes? Yeah...

Simanos
2009-06-11, 10:08 AM
Strange giants distributing "@" accounts is no basis for a system of moderation. :smalltongue:
-How about asking them 5 questions?
- 3 questions...

Rutskarn
2009-06-11, 11:30 AM
Well, each one is a little different.

Alarra: It was in the early, dark days of the forum. Savage trolls roamed the land, snarling and gibbering over the terrified masses that roamed below, feeding at will. One traveled in packs, or not at all. The RPG forums were consumed in pointless edition bloodbaths, with neither side relenting or giving pause.

One day, amidst the chaos, a warrior arose. With the strength of a titan and the voice of an angel, she parted the mob, and gained others to her standard. Soon, she became a force to be reckoned with.

One day, in battle with a fierce troll-king, she was slain. As her blood pooled gently into the tall summer grass, she looked up at the heavens...and thought she saw the benevolent gaze of The Giant upon her.

Soon, she arose, and found the power of Mod flowing through her veins.

Rawhide: Rawhide was a simple cattle rancher from the eastern forums, an affable and easygoing man who acted as a sort of judge to the local community. He was known for miles around as a fair, just moderator, and his word was respected by all those around him.

Soon, he caught the interest of a certain Baron. This Baron had just found a boy attempting to steal one of his horses, and demanded that the boy be put to death. The parents pleaded for the boy's life, but the Baron refused. He feared the peasants would revolt...but realized that if he could get Rawhide's support, it would be done and over with.

So he came to Rawhide, in secret, and demanded that he support the boy's execution. Rawhide heard the facts, deliberated...then refused, claiming that the boy should receive a far more lenient punishment, for his youth and for the nature of his crime.

The Baron grew angry. That night, assassins came for Rawhide.

Rawhide slew several with his trust six-shooter, but was felled by a dart to the the throat. On death's door, he limped to the bed, wishing to die in some peace...but then, as he lay there, he felt his strength return and multiply a thousandfold. For his just nature, he was granted the gift of Mod.

Roland St. Jude: Roland was a distinguished poster who was granted moderator powers by the forum admin.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-11, 11:32 AM
Roland St. Jude: Roland was a distinguished poster who was granted moderator powers by the forum admin.

This one seems slightly less exciting than the others for some reason. :smallamused:

Rutskarn
2009-06-11, 11:35 AM
I only report the facts.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-11, 11:59 AM
I don't know about mods, but with admins, its in the genes, its all in da DNA wire thingies!

Headless_Ninja
2009-06-11, 02:11 PM
Becoming a mod? It's not easy. In fact, you could say that one does not simply walk into Mod-or...

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 02:12 PM
I don't know about mods, but with admins, its in the genes, its all in da DNA wire thingies!

So admins have wires holding their unstable genetics together, eh?

Sounds like abominations to me. *goes ahead and adds in immunity to polymorph and mind affecting to their stat blocks*

...I am increasingly tempted to see someone stat out the moderators and The Giant.... maybe even creating a template like Mod or Admin

...Or even Touched-by-THE-Giant....

hamishspence
2009-06-11, 02:59 PM
When the tweedle beetles battle with their paddles in a puddle and the puddle's in a bottle on a noodle-eating poodle, this is called... a tweedle beetle noodle poodle puddle bottle paddle battle.
I probably got that wrong.

Ah, Dr Seuss's Fox in Socks.

Lets hear some more mod-related tongue-twisters.

Illven
2009-06-11, 09:42 PM
Having modded for a RP forum before, I'd like to state that there is no such thing as a secret 'Mod's Guild', as that would be just plain silly. In fact, you should feel ashamed you even had such a stupid, imbecilic idea. I suggest you all forget about it, for it does not exist, has never existed, and will never exist. Never. Ever. Nope. Zip. Nada. Non-existent. Nu-uh. No. Now move along, citizen.
>>
<<

Quick capture him for the information so we may launch a pre-emptive strike on the Mod's guild:smalltongue: