PDA

View Full Version : Fient

Fastmover
2009-06-09, 09:29 AM
Is there a feat that allows me to fient multiple targets at once in order to get a AoO on as many of them as my Combat Reflexes would allow?

Basically I want to make a group all lose thier dex.

weenie
2009-06-09, 09:33 AM
I think there's a skill trick to feint against multiple targets in complete scoundrel, but you don't really get an AoO against opponents you've successfully feinted.. Unless I'm mistaken of course.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-09, 09:44 AM
Y'all know that "I before E, except after C" stuff is a load, right?

Feinting doesn't give you an AoO. It causes the enemy to lose his Dex bonus to AC, reducing their AC and exposing them to sneak attack.

Can't think of any ways to feint multiple opponents, but I'd check Complete Scoundrel for skill tricks, feats, and prestige class abilities; maybe Complete Adventurer too, but I'm reasonably confident there's nothing in that one for this.

Feinting in Combat: You can also use Bluff to mislead an opponent in melee combat (so that it can’t dodge your next attack effectively). To feint, make a Bluff check opposed by your target’s Sense Motive check, but in this case, the target may add its base attack bonus to the roll along with any other applicable modifiers. If your Bluff check result exceeds this special Sense Motive check result, your target is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) for the next melee attack you make against it. This attack must be made on or before your next turn.

Feinting in this way against a nonhumanoid is difficult because it’s harder to read a strange creature’s body language; you take a –4 penalty on your Bluff check. Against a creature of animal Intelligence (1 or 2) it’s even harder; you take a –8 penalty. Against a nonintelligent creature, it’s impossible.

Feinting in combat does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Rhiannon87
2009-06-09, 09:45 AM
As per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#feint), feinting just denies enemies their dex bonus to AC. You'd be able to sneak attack, but you wouldn't get an AoO on them.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-09, 09:48 AM
To address the broader part...

Basically I want to make a group all lose thier dex.

Losing Dex to AC doesn't give anyone AoOs; however, to cause multiple opponents to lose Dex to AC, you just need a bit o' this (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsFtoG.html#grease).

Being Attacked while Balancing: (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#balance) You are considered flat-footed while balancing, since you can’t move to avoid a blow, and thus you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). If you have 5 or more ranks in Balance, you aren’t considered flat-footed while balancing. If you take damage while balancing, you must make another Balance check against the same DC to remain standing.

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-09, 10:06 AM
IIRC, yes, the answer is Complete Scoundrel. The skill trick is Group Fakeout, it allows to feint against several opponents.

Said this, unless some specific feat or power allows it, you don't obtain AOOs just to make someone flat-footed or so.

Hat-Trick
2009-06-09, 11:47 AM
I'd be an interesting ability, though.

RTGoodman
2009-06-09, 12:18 PM
Y'all know that "I before E, except after C" stuff is a load, right?

Unless pronounced "ay" as in "feint," "neighbor," or "weigh." :smallwink:

But yeah, as others said, feinting doesn't cause AoOs. If you're trying to max Combat Reflexes, your best bet is probably grabbing a spiked chain, a few feats (Hold the Line, etc.) and going the tripper route.

RangerOfFortune
2009-06-10, 09:07 PM
Unless pronounced "ay" as in "feint," "neighbor," or "weigh." :smallwink:

... and on weekends and holidays and all throughout may. You'll always be wrong, no matter what you say!
:smallbiggrin:RoF

Curmudgeon
2009-06-10, 09:10 PM
... except of course when the word is just weird.

Eldariel
2009-06-10, 09:14 PM
... and on weekends and holidays and all throughout may. You'll always be wrong, no matter what you say!
:smallbiggrin:RoF

This is English. Easier just to memorize everything case by case than to try and keep all the rules straight.

Xyk
2009-06-10, 10:55 PM
When I first saw this, I thought of a Fiendish Ent. Then I realized they are called treants in D&D and it doesn't work as well.