PDA

View Full Version : Something we've been forgetting (spoilers)

Kaytara
2009-06-09, 10:55 AM
You know, something just occurred to me about what may happen to the phylactery...

People have been talking about how the phylactery is now lost in some unknown location deep under the sea or wherever and neither the villains nor the heroes know where it is, and so on.

But we've all been forgetting something.

There is someone else who knows that the phylactery has been lost. Someone who has been watching the battle all this time. Someone who at the very least has magic powerful enough to pierce the Cloister without effort, and thus probably powerful enough to track the phylactery. Someone who cannot intervene directly but has recently acquired a small servant with the ability to teleport anywhere without penalty and perfectly suited to recovering small items.

The IFCC, of course. If they have half a brain between all three of them, they'll now be opening picture-in-picture to watch where the phylactery ends up and will send Qarr to retrieve it as soon as they can. The most crucial element of finally defeating the main bad guy whom the heroes oppose? Too big an opportunity to pass up. At the very least, they'll be able to sell it to the highest bidder and then laugh as hilarity ensues.

kusje
2009-06-09, 10:58 AM
Not sure about D&D rules but:

1. IFCC cannot act directly.
2. Quar cannot pierce cloister.

Unless the IFCC can give quar special powers, this isn't happening.

rewinn
2009-06-09, 11:03 AM
Interesting concept!

Now tie this into the IFCC's main interest, which is to maximize V's levels before V's soul becomes theirs for the splicing. With the phylactery in hand, they can bargain with X, perhaps to let V go. I don't think they'd want X out of the game too soon since the quest against him is good for getting XPs for V.

Timberboar
2009-06-09, 11:03 AM
Qarr can act directly. He can teleport to the edge of the cloister and just fly his invisible self in and nab it up easily enough.

Kaytara
2009-06-09, 11:15 AM
Not sure about D&D rules but:

1. IFCC cannot act directly.
2. Quar cannot pierce cloister.

Unless the IFCC can give quar special powers, this isn't happening.

1 I already addressed - they can act through Qarr.
Qarr can't pierce Cloister, but if the phylactery ends up in the ocean, then it won't be in the range of the Cloister anymore. If it ends up in the sewer, they can still get it if they put their minds to it - namely, as noted, Qarr can teleport to the edge, make his way through the sewers, find it, and then teleport out (there's nothing preventing THAT) as soon as he has it.

Dark Faun
2009-06-09, 11:21 AM
That's an excellent idea. It might even be the main reason why Rich made the fiends watch the fight.

That way they'll get leverage on Vaarsuvius and Xykon. Will we see those two forced to work together at some point? :smalltongue:

Totally Guy
2009-06-09, 11:31 AM
Didn't cloister specifically allow teleports? That's how Durokan got his elf babe action.

Timberboar
2009-06-09, 11:31 AM
Didn't cloister specifically allow teleports? That's how Durokan got his elf babe action.

You're thinking summons.

Totally Guy
2009-06-09, 11:36 AM
You're thinking summons.

The difference being that someone is pulling you in... rather than pushing yourself there?

Timberboar
2009-06-09, 11:39 AM
Pretty much, yeah.

I think the point is that it's the choice of someone within the cloister (presumably the caster), as opposed to someone outside of it.

SoC175
2009-06-09, 11:43 AM
I really think the IFCC has used up all their "meddle in the mortal affair credits".

Otherwise you would have archfiends and archcelestials scrying and sending out servitors to pick things up all the time.

Moglorosh
2009-06-09, 12:08 PM
I really think the IFCC has used up all their "meddle in the mortal affair credits".

Otherwise you would have archfiends and archcelestials scrying and sending out servitors to pick things up all the time.How do you know they don't?

David Argall
2009-06-09, 12:15 PM
Whether this is possible or not, it is the sort of thing that means Xykon can't afford to just let the phylactery float away. He is going to have to go down and pick it up now [giving V & O-Chul the time they need to escape].

The Guardian
2009-06-09, 12:19 PM
rewinn, does V actually have to be dead for the fiends to take control? I don't recall that being in the arrangement.

I think your idea is a pretty good one even considering that, because they would still want V to be as powerful as possible when they do take control (Dead or alive) and if Xykon is destroyed V will have no reason to go near a gate in the future.

Kaytara
2009-06-09, 12:28 PM
Whether this is possible or not, it is the sort of thing that means Xykon can't afford to just let the phylactery float away. He is going to have to go down and pick it up now [giving V & O-Chul the time they need to escape].

It certainly means that it's a good idea to find it immediately, and it's not the only reason... But honestly, that last panel doesn't seem to point in that direction. Xykon isn't interested in diving into the sewer, he wants to go and slowly punish the hell out of the worthless wretches who dared to use his own awesome traits against him and make it personal.

rewinn, does V actually have to be dead for the fiends to take control? I don't recall that being in the arrangement.

Technically, V certainly doesn't NEED to be dead. There was nothing in the terms that specified when they would be able to take control, it's just something V assumed that they never confirmed or refuted. More to the point, the fiends themselves talk about how they don't want the elf to die at this point. This shows that it's not just a missed detail, but a loophole they are consciously planning to exploit.

JonestheSpy
2009-06-09, 01:10 PM
You're right, that could be very interesting.

We really don't know what the IFCC thinks about Xykon. On one hand, he's Team Evil so is one their overarching 'side', but on the other they seem to have plans about V and the Gates that may not involve him at all.

Silverraptor
2009-06-09, 01:15 PM
WOW! That's a scary and possible scenario. Nice observation Kaytara.

Kornaki
2009-06-09, 01:32 PM
Picking up the phylactery doesn't save V since V has about 1 round to live (from what we can tell). The best they could try to do is cut a deal with Xykon. Also, keep in mind that if X bites the dust then V has no reason to go to the next gate, and all their (apparent) plans fall apart, so they certainly don't want to destroy the phylactery

Silverraptor
2009-06-09, 01:43 PM
Picking up the phylactery doesn't save V since V has about 1 round to live (from what we can tell). The best they could try to do is cut a deal with Xykon. Also, keep in mind that if X bites the dust then V has no reason to go to the next gate, and all their (apparent) plans fall apart, so they certainly don't want to destroy the phylactery

Just rememeber , this is Rich were talking about. He pulls out all sorts of twists.

Kaytara
2009-06-09, 01:45 PM
Also, keep in mind that if X bites the dust then V has no reason to go to the next gate, and all their (apparent) plans fall apart, so they certainly don't want to destroy the phylactery

Xykon cannot bite the dust in any meaningful manner unless the phylactery is destroyed, as well. :P Which means that if the phylactery is in the possession of the IFCC, V and Co. HAVE to go to the next Gate, because as far as they'd be aware Xykon would just be regenerating somewhere again. XD

Mystic Muse
2009-06-09, 01:53 PM
you're forgetting about ANOTHER entity that can see the phylactery and inform one of the goodguys about it's where abouts. who is it?? it's the mighty

EUGENE:smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2009-06-09, 01:59 PM
you're forgetting about ANOTHER entity that can see the phylactery and inform one of the goodguys about it's where abouts. who is it?? it's the mighty

EUGENE:smalltongue:

Oh yes, that will be pleasent for Roy.

"Hello, dad. Can you scry on Xykon's phylactery for us."

-"Hell no"

"Fine, looks like I will find someone else. I don't want you to do it anyways, dad"

-"Oh no you don't! You will make me scry for it and you will like it! Again!"

Ya, sorry, just not seeing it ever happening.:smallsigh:

Almaseti
2009-06-09, 01:59 PM
The IFCC probably doesn't want to tip V and co to their real plan (the one that requires V survive, and probably has something to do with the gates) so they might not want V to realize that they're still paying attention to him/her. Grabbing the Phylactery might draw too much attention to them.

Also, lol Eugene. He totally would, too. But he might not be watching now, and might not be able to find it later if he looks. If he can track it though, that's a big plus to the OotS.

Kaytara
2009-06-09, 02:18 PM
Grabbing the Phylactery might draw too much attention to them.
The phylactery is somewhere in the sewer right now and will be possibly dumped into the ocean later. How would V know if Qarr popped in to grab it?

Eugene is a nice idea, but don't forget that as far as we know, he doesn't know what the phylactery actually IS - just that there is one. He initially says that Xykon's lackeys got away, so odds are good he's back now. So the only way he can be aware of it now is if he's been watching the fight, which is technically possible, of course... but may just as easily not be the case.