PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Eberron Previews - Now with Full Spoilers!

RTGoodman
2009-06-09, 04:01 PM
Just like they did with Monster Manual 2, Wizards is doing some "viral previewing" of content from next week's Eberron Player's Guide. Thought folks might want to take a look at a few of the different places it has or will be previewed:

-The Official D&D Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dungeons-Dragons/73340321070?ref=ts) - already has a little bit, and they've promised to post more previews the more Fans they get. If you're on Facebook anyway, might as well become one anyway.

-Twitter - you can follow a few people (including @emilrodriguez (http://twitter.com/emilrodriguez), @ginaj14 (http://twitter.com/ginaj14), and @betterwithmayo (http://twitter.com/betterwithmayo)) for up-to-the-minute tweets on previews. Some other WotC designers (@SRMacFarland, @aquellajames, etc.) might have stuff too, but I haven't really checked.

-Ain't It Cool News (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41350) has an art preview of, I guess, an Artificer, as does Wired's GeekDad (http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/06/dungeons-and-dragons-eberron-players-guide-exclusive-spoiler/). Geek's Dream Girl (http://geeksdreamgirl.com/2009/06/09/omg-eberron-players-guide-spoilers/) has some Changeling stuff, too.

That said, even if you're not interested in Eberron, you might want to go ahead and bookmark the pages anyway - they've done this for two books now, and I imagine they'll do the same thing for stuff later in the year (Divine Power, maybe? DMG2?).

ghost_warlock
2009-06-09, 10:15 PM
What I want to know is, in what way is the Eberron changeling different from the doppleganger in the Monster Manual? Seems to be exactly the same thing, to me.

*feels a rant coming on...just sighs and walks away instead*

FoE
2009-06-10, 12:55 AM
What I want to know is, in what way is the Eberron changeling different from the doppleganger in the Monster Manual? Seems to be exactly the same thing, to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just did away with doppelgangers in the new Eberron setting and just called them Changelings.

I'm excited. In a lot of ways, 4E was built for Eberron.

RTGoodman
2009-06-10, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they just did away with doppelgangers in the new Eberron setting and just called them Changelings

Actually it seems they did quite a BIT different with Changelings. According to the Facebook page:

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs089.snc1/4638_108600506070_73340321070_3267849_297340_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs089.snc1/4638_108600511070_73340321070_3267850_6965000_n.jp g

Seems they make great Trickster Rogues, Illusionist Wizards, and Chaos Sorcerers, and even Fey (or Star?) Warlocks. (I can never remember which pacts call for what ability scores. :smallsigh:)

FoE
2009-06-10, 01:03 AM
Without having my books in front of me, they look tailor-made for rogues.

RTGoodman
2009-06-10, 01:06 AM
Hey, just like most of the other big books, it seems some folks have gotten their copies of EPG way early and have, of course, posted all they can for folks to see. You can follow it on ENWorld or over on RPGNet, but both, I think, have the same kind of info.

Some of the main info:

50 heroic Feats, eh? Nice. Also Changelings get full Racial write-up:

Quote:
Changelings get +2 dex or +2 int, +2 cha. +2 bluff, +2 insight, +1 will, changeling disguise at will (change self) and changeling trick (minor action, get CA until the end of your next turn)

Kalashtar +2 wis, +2 cha, +2 insight +2 skill of own choice, save at the beginning of their turn against daze and dominate effect, and a racial encounter power that gives you and all allies in a close burst 5 a +4 bonus to Will as an immediate interrupt.
Dragonborn are originally Aragonnessen. Tieflings from Sarlona, before the Inspired appeared. Nice ways to fit them in.

Devas: Former allies of the couatls in the old battles against the demons and rashakas, persisting despite the couatls being long gone.

Eladrins: Have always been there, but kept to themselves, only coming out of their 7 great cities when they occasionally world-falled. But after the Day of Mourning, they found themselves severed from the Feywild and stuck on Eberron. From what I read, they are still trying to get back.

Goliath: Originate from Xen'drik, but left when the giants rose to power. They exist as always, spread out in the mountains, living as they always have, with traditions etc etc.

Genasi are extremely rare and no one knows what they are, not even themselves! They could be everything from dwarves warped by the volcanic eruptions of the fist of Onatar or creations of the Arcane Congress. They have no homeland and live on the frindge of society.

PP's
Alchemist Savant
Battle Engineer
Chameleon
Clockwork Engineer
Exorcist of the Silver Flame
Gatekeeper Mystagogue
Lightwalker
Self-forged
Warforged Juggernaut

Dragonmark PP's
Cannith Mastermaker
Deneith Protector
Ghallanda Sanctuary Guardian
Jorasco Jadehand
Kundarak Ghorad'din
Lyrandar Wind-rider
Medani True-seer
Orien Swiftblade
Philarlan Phantasmist
Sivis Truenamer
Tharashk Wayfinder
Thuranni Shadowkiller
Vadalis Griffonmaster

ED's
Champion of Prophecy
Dispossessed Champion
Mourning Savior
Sublime Flame

Quote:
Dragonmarks - Take the appropriate feat, gain benefits. Benefits include some bonus (roll twice for perception rolls or extra shifts under certain circumstances) and the ability to cast certain rituals, no matter your class/skills or ability to otherwise cast rituals.
Quote:
The second Artificer build is called the Tinkerer, a build that focuses on building constructs. From a quick glance, he works much like a summoner.

As for the artifices, they follow the rules of summoned creatures, is that good enough?

Curative Admixture: target regains hit points equal to its healing surge value + your wisdom modifier, scaling up to surge + wisdom + 10 at level 26.

Resistive Formula: taget gets +1 ac until the end of the encounter. The target can end the bonus and gain temporary hit points equal to its healing surge value + your constitution modifier, scaling to surge + 3 times your constitution modifier.
Quote:
Regions - You get associated skills, depending on your region of origin. From those associated skills, you pick one to get a +2 bonus to, or to add to your class skill list. And yes, they go over region by region.
So, like PHB2 instead of FR or SoW (something i prefer)

Awesome stuff all in all!

EDIT: Also, this blog (http://daegames.blogspot.com/2009/06/prerelease-eberron-players-guide.html) seems to be putting even more stuff from both threads up, so that's what I'm following.

Tengu_temp
2009-06-10, 01:34 AM
Finally a +2 wis & cha race. I wonder why changelings can choose between int and dex, though - that makes them more versatile than any other race, apart from humans, without losing any power at the same time.

TheOOB
2009-06-10, 02:11 AM
Finally a +2 wis & cha race. I wonder why changelings can choose between int and dex, though - that makes them more versatile than any other race, apart from humans, without losing any power at the same time.

It doesn't actually increase power, and there are too many dex+cha races, esp considering how few classes use dex as a primary. Besides, their powers are cool, but kinda weak combat-wise.

Tengu_temp
2009-06-10, 02:15 AM
On second thought, yeah, Changeling's Trick isn't that hot as it seems - it works only in melee, and in most situations when you'd like to use it you already have combat advantage anyway. Elven Accuracy it ain't.

Sir Homeslice
2009-06-10, 03:47 AM
Artificers are incredibly hot stuff. Their Infusions are pretty awesome, their powers are pretty nice, and Battle Cheese Engineer is insane. I especially like how the Artificers allow you to pool your party's healing surges, so you can effectively go on as long as the highest surge character can go.

Their whole daily recharging thing is pretty nice too, I have a Lullaby Mordenkrad, and an Amulet of Resolution. I'm looking forward to potential shenanigans from both my items and my party's items.

Playing a Dwarf Artificer pretty soon, actually, level 8. I'm going Battlesmith, as opposed to the Tinkerer. Upon request I'll tell you people how Arties float ingame. My stats are Str 8/Con 20/Dex 10/Int 18/Wis 14/Cha 12 for the curious. Happily, the DM gave Weapon Expertise for free, so I have a neat +13 to int attack rolls and I didn't have to go 18/14.

Reverent-One
2009-06-10, 04:32 PM
Upon request I'll tell you people how Arties float ingame.

I'll take you up on that. In the interest of saving me typing, here is the link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080702)to the Artificer battlesmith preview from a year ago, if you could let me know the basic differences in terms of class features and Battlesmith specific features, that would be cool. Especially the bit about pooling healing surges, and any changes to the existing healing infusions or new ones. Another thing is that in the preview, none of the encounter powers have a bonus for being a Battlesmith as opposed to the other build, which is unusual for a class, is that still the case?

Sir Homeslice
2009-06-10, 08:06 PM
I'll take you up on that. In the interest of saving me typing, here is the link to the Artificer battlesmith preview from a year ago, if you could let me know the basic differences in terms of class features and Battlesmith specific features, that would be cool.
For one, between Battlesmiths and Tinkerers, there are no wildly differing class features in the vein of say, Rogue Talent Options (Brutal Scoundrel, etc). All Artificers get Arcane Empowerment (Magic Item related abilities, there are two of these, Impart and Augment), Arcane Rejuvenation (THP on use of a magic item daily), Healing Infusions (!!! More on this later), and Ritual Casting (The difference here is that Artificers get Disenchant, Enchant, and Make Whole at first level, and Disenchant has no component cost).

Especially the bit about pooling healing surges, and any changes to the existing healing infusions or new ones.
Now, aside from powers, here's where the Artificer gets the biggest upgrade. They retain both Healing Infusions, Curative Admixture (Heals HSV+Wisdom Modifier, adding 2 more HP at 6/11/16/etc. (In additon there's a heroic feat that doubles the static modifier)) and Resistive Formula (+1 power bonus to AC for the encounter, end as free action to gain HSV+con mod, double con mod and triple at Paragon and Epic). Both have a big increase over their playtest versions.

And each Artificer begins the day with two uses of Healing Infusion. Per day (3 at 16). "But per day? Doesn't that make them useless, Sir?"

Besides the fact that I'm flattered by you calling me Sir, here's where 'pooling' comes in. During a short rest, the Artificer or an ally can spend a healing surge to replensih a spent infusion. The Healing Infusion powers themself don't spend any healing surges, and this is why. This essentially allows you to shift around surges within the party and to relocate them to characters that can use them, essentially letting you go as far as your highest surge character can go, as opposed to the lowest.

Another thing is that in the preview, none of the encounter powers have a bonus for being a Battlesmith as opposed to the other build, which is unusual for a class, is that still the case?
Still the case, though you can easily differentiate which powers are for who. Battlesmith powers tend to err on the side of buffing ally damage, and Tinkerers are more supportlike in nature.

Sigils are incredibly awesome though. Encounter long buffs that are also dailies.

Still haven't gotten to play them ingame though, complications hit the fan.

Reverent-One
2009-06-10, 08:56 PM
*Stuff of amazing-ness*

Yes! Thank you my good sir. I loved the class from the moment I read the playtest article (though I thought it was a bit weak), and they just made it awesome incarnated. It's official, I'm getting the Eberron guide just for the Artificer. The fact that Eberron is steampunk-esque is just icing on the cake.